Vatican City State: Pope Benedict XVI, January 2006 - February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not uncommon and to expect anything less than what EIIR described from the Catholic Church makes little sense.

To expect anything less is in my opinion pathetic, and it a lot of nations it is a criminal offence to fail to report the abuse of a child from which the church is not exempt.

Just an odd thought. Isn't this method of dealing with internal problems and meting out justice similar to how the military does things sometimes with their own internal problems? Not saying that its the correct way to do it but it is not uncommon.

No, the military actually has trials for people accused of crimes and they can be imprisoned. There is no Vatican run prison for priests who break the law- many times, they continue to live their life freely and still under the church's protection.

A person in the U.S. military who raped a child would probably spend the rest of their life locked up at Fort Leavenworth.

I was only a toddler when Pope John Paul II was elected so the only one I've ever seen was Benedict XVI's election it a week or two after the funeral of Prince Rainier III.

I wasn't even born yet at John Paul II's election. For Benedict XVI I was a rebelious teenager who didn't cared about faith but still watched intensely it with my whole family :) The elections are on 10 am and 4 pm I heard, there's a chance I'm back home after 4 pm, so I'm praying it's in the afternoon ;-)

Definitely not uncommon and to expect anything less than what EIIR described from the Catholic Church makes little sense.

One thing I found interesting reading the entire article and the comments below it is how easily this could have been taken completely out of context. One commentator stated (and as for its validity, its anyone's guess but could be very probable):

"The gist of Hitchens argument is a complete and total lie. No one ever ordered anyone to not report sex abuse. The document he mentions was a response to the very, very specific case of reporting about abuse revealed in sacramental confession."

I do believe that here in the US, a priest is never required to divulge what he has heard in the confessional and it remains sacrosanct. My belief is that this should be changed. Just as an ER doctor or a teacher or any professional that suspects that a child is being abused is required by law to report it to the authorities. This should also hold true also with confessions and is my opinion only of course.

Whomever is elected Pope is going to be wading into troubled waters on quite a few issues. The days of "because the Church deems it so" doesn't work anymore.

Of course he did. Like every pope does. When a cardinal is 75 he has to be replaced. So no big deal.
No, cardinals are not replaced at the age of 75, they remain cardinals as long as they live, but they are no longer electors for a new pope in the conclave in the College of Cardinals after the age of 80, and there can be up to 120 cardinals who are entitled to vote in the conclave.

Has the Vatican said anything about what Pope Benedict will be called after he steps down? A Bishop is "Your Excellency." An Archbishop is "Your Grace," A Cardinal is "Your Eminence," and the Pope is "Your Holiness."

We just had a recently former Bishop die in the area and he was still referred to as "Bishop" and "His Excellency." Is there any info on this? I do realize this has not happened since we have all developed policy manuals ;) for everything that goes on in not for profits.

From my understanding his title will be "Pope Emiritus"

Hard to believe that Ratzinger in the 60s was considered part of the progressive part of the Roman Catholic Church.

As for how the military might prosecute one of its own members I rather doubt if a soldier raped a little boy or girl that would simply be transferred to another unit, and if they offend again well transfer them again.

That is exactly what the military did do with war crimes in wars up to and including Vietnam - sweep it under the carpet and move the men around.

After My Lai the US became a bit more open about massacres etc but even then it took awhile.

One thing I found interesting reading the entire article and the comments below it is how easily this could have been taken completely out of context. One commentator stated (and as for its validity, its anyone's guess but could be very probable):

"The gist of Hitchens argument is a complete and total lie. No one ever ordered anyone to not report sex abuse. The document he mentions was a response to the very, very specific case of reporting about abuse revealed in sacramental confession."

I do believe that here in the US, a priest is never required to divulge what he has heard in the confessional and it remains sacrosanct. My belief is that this should be changed. Just as an ER doctor or a teacher or any professional that suspects that a child is being abused is required by law to report it to the authorities. This should also hold true also with confessions and is my opinion only of course.

Whomever is elected Pope is going to be wading into troubled waters on quite a few issues. The days of "because the Church deems it so" doesn't work anymore.

I disagree with you regarding divulging confessions in extenuating circumstances. If you require priests or any clergy to break that vow (I think it's a vow) and report sex crimes, then you have to do it for all other crimes. People will start avoiding confession for fear that the priest will "tell on them" even if they only stole a cookie from Mom. No, what is said in the confessional must stay in the confessional.

It is my understanding that priests do encourage those who have confessed crimes to come forward. Who knows, that may be part of the penance assigned.

If you don't do your penance, does that mean you're not forgiven?

No,he will not go into seclusion at the Vatican Monastery just for the period of the Conclave or anything of the kind.No.His choice is to live there permanently,and indeed not as a prisoner butas a priest,free to move about without restriction ofcourse.And on a buikld residence in Bavaria,Ratzinger is too modest a human to hang on for dear life to any wordly possession.

Nor will he have any say in the conclave in any way,after 20.00PM on february 28th he will be retired from all offices and he will be a priest and a scholar again.He always was more of a Scholar then anything else.

Please keep this thread on topic,'Nam has no business here,not now,not ever!

Isn't it very possible that the seclusion that the Pope will go into after his official date and time of resignation is until there is a newly elected Pope? By all accounts that I'm familiar with, once he steps down, until a new Pope is elected, its a state of "sede vacante"

"The current regulations regarding a papal interregnum—that is, a sede vacante ("vacant seat")—were promulgated by John Paul II in his 1996 document Universi Dominici Gregis. During the "sede vacante" period, the College of Cardinals is collectively responsible for the government of the Church and of the Vatican itself, under the direction of the Camerlengo of the Holy Roman Church;"

Pope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With this in mind, it makes sense that during this period, Benedict would go into seclusion and have no contact with anyone so as to assure that during this interim, he was not involved in any way. As this is the first time a Pope has resigned in centuries, there's no precedence for the interim period of a retired Pope so perhaps this is to ensure that the same conditions exist for a papal election as it would be on the death of a Pope, he's voluntarily going into seclusion.

I'm sure that once a new Pope is elected, he will be out and about as his health permits and enjoy a peaceful retirement.

No, cardinals are not replaced at the age of 75, they remain cardinals as long as they live, but they are no longer electors for a new pope in the conclave in the College of Cardinals after the age of 80, and there can be up to 120 cardinals who are entitled to vote in the conclave.

True Meraude they have their Title for life.In this Conclave 118 Cardinals,or Princes of the Church as they are called too,will take part in the Sixtine Chapel.

True Meraude they have their Title for life.In this Conclave 118 Cardinals,or Princes of the Church as they are called too,will take part in the Sixtine Chapel.

Also if I'm not mistaken, when he passes on, he will be buried in St. Peter's Cathedral with all honors accorded a Pope of the Roman Catholic Church.

From the news reports today, I understand that he will be at the Popes summer home, south of Rome, in seculsion until the house he is to live in is finished. It is being remodeled for him. The work on the house started in November. He will probably be at the summer home until after the new pope is selected.

No,he will not go into seclusion at the Vatican Monastery just for the period of the Conclave or anything of the kind.No.His choice is to live there permanently,and indeed not as a prisoner butas a priest,free to move about without restriction ofcourse.And on a buikld residence in Bavaria,Ratzinger is too modest a human to hang on for dear life to any wordly possession.

Nor will he have any say in the conclave in any way,after 20.00PM on february 28th he will be retired from all offices and he will be a priest and a scholar again.He always was more of a Scholar then anything else.

Please keep this thread on topic,'Nam has no business here,not now,not ever!

Obviously you didn't read the context in which that post was made. Had you read the previous post and understood the context then you would have understood the post.

Also if I'm not mistaken, when he passes on, he will be buried in St. Peter's Cathedral with all honors accorded a Pope of the Roman Catholic Church.

That is to be seen as on what he decided on that in his will,
and that time has not yet come.He could also opt for the
beautifull Teutonic cemetary close by.Who knows.

For the post above:I only read what is relevant.:)

I read an interview with his brother who insists that Benedict is not likely to travel far anymore and that the climate in Rome (that is, in the Vatican which is some sort of "green lung" for Rome) is better suited for his health. But that in the new appartment there will be a room for him as well and that he looks forward to spend more time with his brother now that Benedict doesn't have to fulfill the duties of his office anymore.

In addition it could be read that Benedict had planned well in advance and made some decisions about staff which will last into a new papacy including promoting his closest confidant to Archbishop and chief of the Papal Household - a position in which said confidant will be able to decide all details about the way Benedict is to live at the Vatican including the use of papal summer villas close to Castel Gandolfo.

It has to be seen who will be elected as new pope but I have no doubt that the new pope won't do anything to disturb the peace of his predessessor. Ratzinger after all had been the most influential cardinal in Rome pre his election for decades and I doubt there is any candidate for the papacy who does not respect Benedict.

I have a huge respect for that decision of the Pope, especially giving the fact, that is was more than hard to see the previous pope JPII suffering until death finally released him.

Nevertheless it is a funny constellation with having 2 Popes - one "Ex-" or "Emerited" one and the current one. Interested to see what will happen there.
But we have some great examples i.e. with Queen Beatrix and her mother/grandmother, that things can work out extremly smooth as well.

Bye Bine

Pope Benedict XVI meets members of the Order of the Knights of Malta after the Mass to mark the 900th anniversary of the Order on February 9th in Rome.

PPE Agency

PPE Agency

I was only a toddler when Pope John Paul II was elected so the only one I've ever seen was Benedict XVI's election it a week or two after the funeral of Prince Rainier III.

Oh dear...I was born in the days of Pius XII,saw John XXIII,Paul VI,John Paul I,John Paul II,Benedict XVI....as I said...Oh dear...:lol:

Oh dear...I was born in the days of Pius XII,saw John XXIII,Paul VI,John Paul I,John Paul II,Benedict XVI....as I said...Oh dear...:lol:

So we'll know hows good office to call on during the Papal election if we're unsure of the events :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a huge respect for that decision of the Pope, especially giving the fact, that is was more than hard to see the previous pope JPII suffering until death finally released him.

Nevertheless it is a funny constellation with having 2 Popes - one "Ex-" or "Emerited" one and the current one. Interested to see what will happen there.
But we have some great examples i.e. with Queen Beatrix and her mother/grandmother, that things can work out extremly smooth as well.

Bye Bine

It is not so uncommon in monasteries - when the abbot retires, he gets back to be one of the brothers and works as much as he still can while a younger monk is voted for as new abbot.

Thus I don't think the Holy See will have big problems with that fact. Josef Ratzinger probably will keep his status as a Cardinal emeritus and be accorded the honours due to him. But he will be free of the restrictions of popedom. He had such a rich social life when he was still just a Cardinal and it was hard on him to become the pope and loose the possibility to enjoy Rome's rich cultural life. He had been often out and about, attending church concerts or having dinner at good restaurants with collegues - all that ended when he ascended the papal throne. so I hope for him that he can have that again to a certain amount, if his health allows for it.

It was announced that the Conclave will start in the week after march 15th.That is very short till Palm Sunday on march 24th and its rites and ceremonies,and the Holy week and Easter on march 31st and april 1st immediatly after.They have a lot of confidence apparently on how fast the Conclave will elect a new Pontifex Maximus and again the : "Habemus Papam" will sound over St.Peter's Square and everybodies i-Pod.....

Last edited:
They will have assistants to tell the new Pope where to walk in the Cathedral, etc., and, as a priest, he already knows how to say the Mass, etc., so he won't have a big problem with "manning" a new Cathedral. Lucien, I remember Pope Pius XII. I cried when he died, it seemed like the end of the old era, and indeed it was. Nothing was the same for long after that. I read where Benedict has appointed enough conservative cardinals that the new pope will be a conservative like him.

I thought they'd do it sooner - that's leaving very little time before Holy Week.

So the Pope has been ill, and has deemed himself too old to be able to preform his jobs properly. Good for him for recognizing that he was loosing his ability to preform his jobs, all the more respect to him for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom