The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

What other books did Mr Shawcross write before this one?

Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 AM
Courtier

Letter reveals Queen Mother's rift with Wallis Simpson
Letter reveals Queen Mother's rift with Wallis Simpson - Telegraph

Unseen pictures of Queen Mother unveiled
Unseen pictures of Queen Mother unveiled - Telegraph

Queen Mother Blitz letter: in full
Queen Mother Blitz letter: in full - Telegraph

The Queen Mother reluctant to join Royal Family
The Queen Mother reluctant to join Royal Family - Telegraph

Queen mother's biographer who walked a fine line
Queen mother's biographer who walked a fine line | Mail Online

Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

"Waking up this weekend felt a bit like a time warp. Vera Lynn's back on the top of the Hit Parade with We'll Meet Again aged 92. Peter Mandelson is back on the airwaves talking silkily about those wicked Tory cuts – Labour cites "reductions" – at 55. A definite sense of deja entendu there.

Most remarkable of all, that doughty old Chamberlainite appeaser, the Queen Mum, has been dusted off as a war heroine to mark publication of a new biography by William Shawcross. It is proof from beyond the grave of her formidable talent for PR, which subsequently saved the family firm."

Even in death the Queen Mother is still polishing her image | UK news | guardian.co.uk
Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

The anguished private thoughts of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother about the abdication crisis, which haunted her for the rest of her life, are disclosed for the first time in her official biography being published tomorrow

Queen Mother's anguished private thoughts on the abdication crisis disclosed for the first time - Telegraph

excerpts:

[Immediately prior to the Abdication] "The then Duchess of York wrote to Queen Mary that she prayed every day for the King to “see reason and not abandon his people”. She added: “I am sure that it would be a great shock to everybody and a horrible position for us naturally.”

In another letter to Queen Mary, she said: “I have great faith in Bertie – he sees very straight and if this terrible responsibility comes to him, he will face it bravely.”

Immediately after the abdication...she wrote a compassionate letter to the former King even though he had ostracised her and her husband. “We are all overcome with misery and can only pray that you will find happiness in your new life,“ she wrote.

[On her becoming Queen]...the former Duchess of York was more calm. She said: “The curious thing is that I am not afraid. Inadequate, but unfrightened.”

[In a letter to Queen Mary after visiting the East End a few hours after Buckingham Palace was hit by a bomb] “I really felt as if I was walking in a dead city, when we walked down a little empty street. All the houses evacuated and yet through the broken windows one saw all the poor little possessions, the photographs, beds, just as they were left. It does affect me seeing this terrible and senseless destruction. I think that really I mind it much more than being bombed myself.”
Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

How Princess Margaret burned Diana's letters to Queen Mother | Mail Online (17/09/2009).

The Queen Mother: She loved owls, fairies and the miners. She hated oysters, LibDems and being kissed by a U.S. president. And she lived every day as if it were her last | Mail Online (17/09/2009).
Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

The private thoughts of the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, about the break-up of the Prince of Wales's marriage are disclosed for the first time in an authorised biography

Queen Mother's biography discloses thoughts about Prince Charles divorce - Telegraph

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth "utterly abhorred" the way Diana, Princess of Wales decided to "wash dirty linen in public" by covertly giving the author Andrew Morton highly sensitive details about her marital turmoil, which she also discussed in a BBC Panorama programme. She was equally disapproving when the Prince of Wales decided to admit to being unfaithful during a TV interview with Jonathan Dimbleby.

"It's always a mistake to talk about your marriage," Queen Elizabeth said in a tape-recorded interview, which was kept under lock and key in a Royal archive until the biographer William Shawcross was given access to it after being chosen by the Queen to write an account of her mother's life
A NEW official biography of the Queen Mother was condemned as a whitewash yesterday after airbrushing out her views on Princess Diana’s death and other family crises.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...royal-history-

I think this criticism is unfair, Diana was such a short part of QEQMs life.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Daily Telegraph: "Queen Mother on 'abhorrent' Diana, Princess of Wales":

Queen Mother on 'abhorrent' Diana, Princess of Wales - Telegraph
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I'm suprised that the Queen gave interviews about her mother to Shawcross though I can understand the Prince of Wales doing so. Either way, I'm very excited about it - it's bound to be reliable and I'm sure fascinating.
As this is an authorised biography it is far from reliable as their are vested interests in what can be included and what can't be.

A reliable biography of the Queen Mum won't come out for another 50 years or so when all those who knew her personally have passed and historians are truly able to write without the monarch of the day having final approval.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Heir Apparent

In a strange sort of way I think this is a reliable biography. That she chose to gloss or rather skate over the failed marriages of he three eldest grandchildren says it all.

She came from an era when writing letters was an art and she was a really good story teller which probably explains the burning of a lot of her private letters by Princess Margaret. It would never have occurred to her that they would be read by strangers or even worse, published!

It also explains her reference to
Quote:
"It's aways a mistake to talk about your marriage,"
and her abhorrance of the way the Wales' chose to
Quote:
"wash dirty linen in public"
Whilst she obviously consented to being interviewed, it is an absolute certainty that she would never ever have discussed what she considered private with anyone.

As to the lack of letters from Princess Diana, I have always wondered whatever happened to Diana's half of the the correspondence between them. That they have never been published in any expose seems to indicate that they really did share a private and intimate relationship. Basically none of our business.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

The author also only mentioned Camilla a single time and did not discuss Charles' 30 year affair with her, so I think it's safe to say there is some whitewashing going on. Having lived through the whole Edward/Wallis drama, QEQM must have been concerned about a repeat, when it was clear that Camilla was not a passing fancy. One would think there would be some discussion of that situation. I pre-ordered the book on Amazon and am waiting by the mail box.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Courtier

To parody Hardy when talking to Laurel, Wallis was definitely a different kettle of fish from Camilla who could never be compared to Wallis.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
In a strange sort of way I think this is a reliable biography. That she chose to gloss or rather skate over the failed marriages of he three eldest grandchildren says it all.

She came from an era when writing letters was an art and she was a really good story teller which probably explains the burning of a lot of her private letters by Princess Margaret. It would never have occurred to her that they would be read by strangers or even worse, published!

It also explains her reference toand her abhorrance of the way the Wales' chose to

Whilst she obviously consented to being interviewed, it is an absolute certainty that she would never ever have discussed what she considered private with anyone.

As to the lack of letters from Princess Diana, I have always wondered whatever happened to Diana's half of the the correspondence between them. That they have never been published in any expose seems to indicate that they really did share a private and intimate relationship. Basically none of our business.

Your very argument shows why the biography isn't reliable - because of what isn't there.

A reliable source is one which is able to deal with the good and bad, both sides of the story and not leave out bits that don't fit the wishes of the authorising authority.

It might be telling the Queen Mother's version of things, the side of her mother that the Queen wanted told but it can't be reliable because it is authorised and therefore stuff has to be left out or glossed over.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I tend to agree, Skydragon. Queen Mother lived for over 100 years, many of which were quite dramatic for the lady herself and for her nation. Diana was part of the public world for 17 years, which isn't a lot of time in the scheme of things. The Express seems to be stating things in a way to make maximum impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Daily Express | UK News :: Diana axed from royal history

I think this criticism is unfair, Diana was such a short part of QEQMs life.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Heir Apparent

So what did she really think of Diana? The full, acrimonious story glossed over by the Queen Mother's new biography | Mail Online (18/09/2009).
Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 AM
Majesty

I am glad that there isn't a lot on Diana in this biography as it means that it will be concentrating on the important parts of the QMs life.

By the time Diana was on the scene the QM was over 80 and her main contribution to the life of the nation was in the past and that is what the book should be about her life.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Trust The Mail!
Quote:
We learn little of the Queen Mother’s views of the Charles and Diana crisis, which threatened to destabilise the monarchy, and nothing at all of her role in it. Yet by common consent, that role was pivotal
Quote:
One former lady-in-waiting is on record as explaining her impatience with Diana was based on her disappointment that ‘a girl from a good family could have taken on marriage to the heir to the throne without understanding the implications’.
‘I know she’s very young,’ she said, ‘but she ought to have known better.’
Their interpretation of this is -
Quote:
The ‘implications’ that the Queen Mother was referring to involved her old-fashioned view of a traditional aristocratic marital order in which ‘men have affairs, women do not.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Administrator

For those members who can recall the discussion of Princess Margaret's relationship with the Queen Mother, there's a teaser in this quote from The Telegraph:

The 1,096-page biography describes how:
* She had a sometimes difficult relationship with Princess Margaret, who was "not always kind" to her mother.

We await further details with interest!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen Mother has provoked a royal dust-up from beyond the grave after her biographer accused radio doyenne Jenni Murray of being 'pathetically' critical of the royal figurehead.Author William Shawcross criticised the popular broadcaster during an interview on Radio Four's Woman's Hour yesterday when she questioned him over the former monarch's health and 'profligate' spending habits.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was about to go to my local bookshop and buy a copy but I've only just learned it comes out on the 20th of October in the states. I'll just have to keep my checking this forum for the good details.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Johnny, you can pre order it on amazon and it will arrive at your house on day one! :-)