The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Majesty

can one get a summery of this book

Old 09-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Gentry

I think " Born to rule" is a very interesting and well researched Book. It shows different views and compares the Life of these 5 Women from their english Backround and the way they coped with their new Countries. It shows the different Charackters very well and is one of my Favorites

Old 09-21-2005, 06:14 AM
Gentry

Its a great very informative Book.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Royal Highness

chanel.....you should read it..it was an excellent portrayal of her daughters. I never realized the degree of hell Princess Victoria's (Vicky) son, the future Kaiser, put on her and her husband.

I think out of all of them, Princess Louise really broke with convention in so many ways. She was somewhat of an early feminist for her time just through her actions..
Old 02-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I got it on Amazon.co.uk's January sale - and I have to say... I was a bit disappointed. It really felt like Maud and Sophie were just included so that there'd be five portraits instead of three... It seemed like the author couldn't wait to get back to the more exciting Marie or tragic Alix.

It was rather entertainingly written, but at times I expected much more deeper story.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Aristocracy

One thing that bugs me about this book is that the author quotes from other people so much. I enjoyed learning more about Queen Ena but still, I wish that she had not used so many of the same books that I have read!

When you read about these poor girls, you realize that their life was NOT a piece of cake. In fact, it was pretty awful, most of the time!

I have ordered Theo Aronson's book about the Danish King that was the Father-in-Law of Europe. I think that will give me a lot of information about the Scandinavian countries. However, Aronson is a fantastic author if you want to read more about the granddaughters, etc. I will say look for his books instead!
Old 02-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Commoner

I too gave in an bought the book when I came across it in a bookstore while on holiday. It was certainly a fascinating study in contrasts in various arranged dynastic marriages among some very strong willed women. I wish there had been more on Queen Maud,but I also wish something had been written about the granddaughter who would have been a queen,Margaret of Connaught.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I liked this book but I have to agree that there was little info on Queen Maud of Norway. Her life was pretty simple compared to the rest especially having only one child. There were a lot of names to keep up with in the beginning but it was pretty good read overall. I think the answer would be to find books on specific royal houses instead of a compilation.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenngirl
I have ordered Theo Aronson's book about the Danish King that was the Father-in-Law of Europe. I think that will give me a lot of information about the Scandinavian countries. However, Aronson is a fantastic author if you want to read more about the granddaughters, etc. I will say look for his books instead!
It's great you were able to get hold of Theo Aronson's book - did you order it second hand? I have looked for it before but with no luck. His book on Queen Victoria's descendants is also a good for extra biographical information on the royal women from Born to Rule. :)
Old 02-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Nobility

I have "Born to Rule". It's pretty informative if you ask me. It goes into detail about Ena's wedding. Alix's courtship with Nicholas II as well as Maud's and Marie's. I don't know about Sophie though...I haven't read that far yet. There's two sets of photos in it. They're ones I haven't seen before.

Maud Charlotte Mary Victoria, b. 26 Nov. 1869. Daughter of Edward VII & Queen Alexandra. Married Prince Carl of Denmark, who became King Haakon VII of Norway, on 22 July 1896.

Issue:

1. Alexander Edward Christian Frederik, Prince of Denmark, became Prince Olav in 1905 upon his father's coronation as Norway's first king.

Sophia Doretha Ulrike Alice, b. 14 June 1870. Daughter of Emperor Friederich III of Prussia & Empress Victoria, nee Princess Royal of Britain. Married King Constantine I (Tino) of the Hellenes (then crown prince) on 27 Oct. 1889.

Issue:

1. George II, b. 1890. Became King of the Hellenes in 1922 (and again in 1935). Married Princess Elisabetta of Romania. Had Children?
2. Alexander I, b. 1893. Became King of the Hellenes in 1917. Married Aspasia Manos, had one child, Princess Aleksandra. Died from monkey bite in 1920.
3. Helen, b. 1896. Became Crown Princess of Romania when she married Crown Prince Carol, who later became King Carol II, had one child, Prince Mihai, became King Mihai I of Romania. Carol and Helen divorced 1928.
4. Paul I, b. 1901. Became King of the Hellenes in 1947. Married Frederike of Hannover. Had Children?
5. Irene, b. 1904. Married Aimone, Duke of Aosta.
6. Katherine, b. 1913. Married Richard Brandram. Still living.

Alix Victoria Helena Louise Beatrice, b. 6 June 1872. Daughter of Princess Alice of Great Britain and Ireland & Grand Duke Ludwig IV of Hesse-Darmstadt. Married Tsar Nicholas II of Russia on Nov. 24, 1894.

Issue:

1. Olga Nikolaievna, b. 15 Nov. 1895
2. Tatiana Nikolaievna, b. 11 June 1897
3. Maria Nikolaievna, b. 14 June 1899
4. Anastasia Nikolaievna, b. 18 June 1901
5. Aleksei Nikolaievich, b. 12 Aug. 1904

Marie Alexandra Victoria, b. 29 Oct. 1875. Daughter of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh & Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna of Russia. Married Crown Prince Ferdinand ("Nando") of Romania on 10 Jan. 1892.

Issue:

1. Carol II, b. 1893. Became King of Romania in 1930. Married Joana Lambrino, annulled in 1919. Married again, Princess Helen of Greece, had one son, Mihai.
2. Elisabetta, b. 1894. Married King George II of the Hellenes.
3. Marie ("Mignon"), b. 1900. Married King Aleksandar I of Yugoslavia. Had Children.
4. Nicolae, b. 1903. Married Joana Doletti. And then Married Thereza de Mello.
5. Ileana, b. 1909. (Thought to be the daughter of Grand Duke Boris of Russia) Married Archduke Anton of Austria-Tuscany. Divorced 1954. Married 2nd time, Stephen Issarescu, divorced 1965. Became Mother Alexandra of the Monastarey of Transfiguration in PA.
6. Mircea, b. 1913. Died 1916.

Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena, b. 24 Oct. 1887. Daughter of Princess Beatrice of Great Britain and Ireland & Prince Henry of Battenburg. Married King Alfonso of Spain on 31 May 1906.

Issue:
1. Alfonso Pio Cristino Eduardo Francisco Guillermo Carlos Enrique Eugenio Fernando Antonio Venancio, Prince of Austrias, b. 1907. Married twice. Children?
2. Jaime Luitpold Isabelino Enrique Alejandro Alberto Alfonso Victor Acacio Pedro Pablo Maria, Duke of Segoia, b. 1908. Married Emanuela de Dampierre. Children?
3. Beatriz Isabel Federica Alfonsa Eugenia Cristina Maria Teresa Bienvenida Ladisláa, b. 1909. Married Alessandro Torlonia, Prince of Civitella-Cesi Children?
4. Maria Cristina Teresa Alejandra Guadalupe Maria de la Concepción Ildefonsa Vitoria Eugénia, b. 1911. Married Enrico Cinzano, Count Marone. Children?
5. Juan Carlos Teresa Silvestre Alfonso, Conde de Barcelona, b. 1913. Married Maria de las Mercedes of Bourbon and the two Sicilies. Children?
6. Gonzalo Manuel Maria Bernardo Narciso Alfonso Mauricio, b. 1914. Married? Children?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006
I have "Born to Rule". It's pretty informative if you ask me. It goes into detail about Ena's wedding...
I did feel sorry for Queen Ena. She and King Alphonso were so in love until the hemophilia made its ways into their family. Then she had to deal with his infidelities. But she loved him until the end.:(
Old 03-25-2006, 03:13 AM
Aristocracy

I liked the way the author quoted from some of her letters to him, so sweet!. I thought the details about Ena's splitting up with Alfonso were interesting. I had never heard about it before. She must have suffered so much. When you look at pictures of her, she always looks so sad.

After reading this book, you have to think twice about becoming a princess. I don't think ONE of them had a really happy life!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Gentry

I liked this book. My friend and I were actually just talking about it, and he said he thought it was boring the way it was written, but I disagree. I liked how it wasn't just one person featured. Although I'd've liked to see more on Queen Maud.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Commoner

This sounds like a very interesting book. Another book everyone might like is called 'Victoria's Daughters' that I read a few months back & I enjoyed it very much.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it's fairly well balanced between the daughters. I tended to remember the chapters on Princess Louise the most, since you don't hear so much about her because she didn't have children.

There's a thread about that book here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ters-1956.html

When you've read the book, we'll be interested in what you thought about it!
Old 03-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Gentry

Thank you for the link. It does look like a good book, and I'm glad it's got stuff about Princess Louise in it.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Commoner

I managed to get a copy of "Victoria's Daughters" from our poorly stocked library. I was particularly interested in the discussions of Canada and Princess Louise. I strongarmed "Born to Rule" back from my sister and reread it. I was very disappointed that there wasn't more on Queen Maud. I would also have liked something concerning Princess Margaret of Connaught,who would have been a queen had she lived.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Courtier

The 1997 Edition and the Companion Edition are great resources for anyone interested in Royalty, especially the ones not so prominent in the news. Marlene gives us some nice biographical information and follows with a superb geneaological chart. Excellent and highly recommended! :)
Old 04-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Aristocracy

Please check this wonderfull website

:)
About Queen's Victoria family

http://www.geocities.com/jesusib/QueenVictoria.html
Old 04-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Courtier

This is obviously a different book, but how many of our members also have this edition by Charlotte Zeepvat?

"MII"