The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Unfortunately the Kings behaviour is not particularly unusual or unexpected. We can just look at the kings around Europe and according to rumors and acknowledged out of wedlock children Carl Gustaf is not alone. At least we have not heard of any offspring from King Carl Gustaf's indiscretions yet.

CP Victoria's choice of husband now makes lots more sense. Daughters of philandering fathers tend to either pick someone who is like dad (Jonas comes to mind) or someone who is the opposite. I think Victoria was wise in not letting go of Daniel but to fight for her choice. In the storm now brewing around the King, Prince Daniel is looking better and better.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Serene Highness

I agree with you, Grevinnan, on your thoughts about children´s reaction on their own choice for partners -- and also on Daniel.

Bye Bine

Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Serene Highness

Expressen

Expressen headlines. Does the first one say 'New Scandal book on Silvia by the same authors'? Oh dear.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Unfortunately the Kings behaviour is not particularly unusual or unexpected. We can just look at the kings around Europe and according to rumors and acknowledged out of wedlock children Carl Gustaf is not alone. At least we have not heard of any offspring from King Carl Gustaf's indiscretions yet.

CP Victoria's choice of husband now makes lots more sense. Daughters of philandering fathers tend to either pick someone who is like dad (Jonas comes to mind) or someone who is the opposite. I think Victoria was wise in not letting go of Daniel but to fight for her choice. In the storm now brewing around the King, Prince Daniel is looking better and better.
i dont know. not everybody is a born philanderer. people change with time and i think that such a position goes with a lot of pressure and even though the first years when raising a family are happy, the years to come will be the true test. the king is the king, extremely priviliged and with anything to his availability, things can go wrong. average couples have the same issues: the kids are grown, too much to do to keep talking, with royals there usually is a royal and a non-royal partner who suddenly find out that they dont share the same values anymore because of very different upbringing. you cant really change who you are and the older people get, the more they become their parents' kid again. i have said it in another thread, royals are used to live arrangements, its normal and usually done in their circles, and the partner cant really do something about it since the marriage is more or less set in stone.

daniel & victoria may be happy now but who knows what will be? people change and the position will certainly change daniel too and only in many many years to come we will know how he finally coped. victoria seems pretty dominant to me, maybe one day he has enough and will find some escape routes. after the disney-like promoting of their relationship & marriage the bar is very high for them not to fail. victoria isnt even queen, doesnt even have children and daniel is potentially a very ill man. i am sure there is drama to come and if her marriage will be better than the marriage of her parents remains to be seen.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

It goes without saying that all marriages have their ups and downs and no matter the upbringing, I see that many people at some stage question if they made the right choice in partner and think 'what if'. I think that has more to do with the 'human condition', myself.

I certainly know my parents have thought that at least once or twice in their 30+ years of marriage and I know some of my siblings have as well.

The regent couple obviously care for each other very deeply, and have weathered the intrusions upon marital happiness. They have come through the other side. Sure, their respective positions would be a very large reason as to why they have lasted, but I truly doubt that to be the only reason. They clearly share something quite special, as is generally the case for marriages that last.

Victoria seems quite certain of herself, publically, but then again she has too. Who is to say that privately she isn't, or shouldn't remain, a doting wife?

I think women is positions of such authority and 'power, be it constitutional, often look to men who in prviate, provide them with the assurance they themselves are expected to project in public.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

The book and the Kings behaviour has completely been blown out of proportions. So he had an affair! And his hanging out with buddies and young women! Neither is particularly noble or acceptable but so what? It is not what I as a Swede would like for "my" king to do but it does not make him less of a regent. There are enough information already available out there to make dozens of book about his family life and him being a very involved father and husband and ordinary activities that in my mind are much more important than what he might have done with his "friends". Victoria has often spoken about the family Sunday night dinners that nothing is allowed to compete with other than official functions. How many people do you know that do not sit down to dinner on the weekend?

Unfortunately the upper echelon of powerful men tend to have a constant need for young women or at least women other than the one they are married to. Read social, business, political and even religious news and see what philandering males are up to.

My heart goes out to Queen Silvia. At least she deserves a new spectacular piece of jewelry. The usual "guilt" gift in these situations.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

Will she give the king also a "guilt" gift after the sensational book about her (by the same author) will be published :P
Old 11-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Expressen

Expressen headlines. Does the first one say 'New Scandal book on Silvia by the same authors'? Oh dear.
And after that we get one for the kids, a book that is thinner than the book we are discussing.

Its another thing thats strange with the book. Nothing is said about his relationship with his children and their loveintressts apperantly, or we would have heard this by now.

But since i havent seen any headlines with "The relation between Daniel and the king, as written in the book" i have the feeling they have left that out for the sequel.

The authors say they have sources: Anonymus sources isnt what i call good sources. One of the named sources is a man that has tried to con money from Bjorn Borg and he isnt what i would call trustworthy. Camilla H, that is supposed to have a relationship with the king for a year can say has lived like a homeless person and could be lying.

Even the forum Flashback that isnt to royal friendly or dont care about sources when someone post something have problems beliving the book. The Tabloid Aftonbladet had 4 pages on the book today compared with 15 last Wednesday and they dont have anything about the book on the headlines at aftonbladet.se today. Expressen had around 10 pages when i looked at it(i was out shopping toiletpaper, not tabloids today:)) and on expressen.se had a interwiew with the authors. The story has run its course and the morningpapers have never touched it as big as the tabloids. Its a nonstory within a week.

In 1 month and 3 days its the Nobelawardcermony, we will then find out if the royal family looks strange or ordinary.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Will she give the king also a "guilt" gift after the sensational book about her (by the same author) will be published :P
Well, there's no evidence of her 'guilt'. The book is planned on the presumption that since she put up with her husband's alleged behaviour, she must be willing to be 'Queen at any cost'.
Rauscher planerar ny skandalbok om Silvia - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen - Nyheter Sport Ekonomi Nöje
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
According to Expressen this morning the book about Silvia will be a psychological portrait of a women that have accepted living with whatever the King has done. They call it a scandal book but I fail to see what scandal that is in deciding to stay married to your husband.

I am not getting a very good impression about these authors. They are blaming the swedish media for being cowards and are using the words "scandalous" in regard to the book about the king and the next book supposedly in the works about the queen. If they were truly interested in portraying the King as he is the book might have included a more comprehensive picture about him.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

A woman who stays in a marriage where her husband has cheated on her is often protrayed as weak, a door-mat, a push-over or someone who is cold. Often she is blamed for the cheating or criticized for not leaving the marriage. Since I've never personally experienced this myself, I can't really judge someone's decision. One doesn't have the complete picture of what is going on.

Any person regardless of their gender has a weakness when they stray in their marriage. Cheating is a weakness. What's interesting is that when you ask the person who was cheated on (usually the woman) why they stayed in the marriage, they usually have an answer as to why. If you ask the other party why they cheated, they don't always have an answer for it or perhaps they don't even known why they cheated (perhaps they are trying to spare the other party pain).
Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
...Call me hypersensitive, but I found myself offended reading the portions of your post...
I ask for really, if you will excuse me if you understood me so! I believe that many Swedes, like myself, have a very good eye for America. My post was not directed to hurt anyone in any other country. Swedish newspapers have called the way of writing the sensational book "American celebrity journalism" and it has not been in a positive way. Perhaps it is that some things are not really going to translate as you think? I know that sometimes when you get down in Southern Europe and may be poorly composed food so you joking that it is composed of "The Swedish Chef". Of course, I know it is a joke because we have many good chefs. I hope you accept this as an excuse and do not think I have the notion that all writing in America is written by second-class journalists.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Nobility

Thank you

Thanks for replying, Karisma. As I stated in response to your intial post, I thought you probably weren't making a mean-spirited observation and I almost didn't post my message.

In this day and age, society (or American society) has become so politically correct that for fear of offending, many times people stop communicating (openly). But because I felt that the unprofessional/trashy/yellow journalism is something prevalent in many countries and cultures I felt it necessary to point it out.

And as I said at the beginning of my post...on the issue of this thread it seems we are rather in agreement. I much prefer that.

Thanks again,

Rascal
Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Victoria has often spoken about the family Sunday night dinners that nothing is allowed to compete with other than official functions.
This Sunday must have been an interesting gathering...
Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Administrator

According to Hello (via another poll) the publication of the book has altered their opinion of the King. I wonder how many books will actually sell.

Shocked Swedes back scandal-hit*King Carl Gustaf | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Swedes in shock at King Carl Gustaf sex scandal - Telegraph

Swedes in shock at King Carl Gustaf sex scandal

Sweden has been shocked by revelations about their quietly dignified King. <H1>Swedes in shock at King Carl Gustaf sex scandal</H1><H2>Sweden has been shocked by revelations about their quietly dignified King.

</H2>
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I am sure the public's perception of the King would have irrevocablky been changed by these revelations, and his near public verification of the them. It will be interesting to see how the Palace handles the PR from here, and the actions of the King and Queen hereon.

Did the Queen know previously, or has all of this only just come to her attention as well?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am sure the public's perception of the King would have irrevocablky been changed by these revelations, and his near public verification of the them. It will be interesting to see how the Palace handles the PR from here, and the actions of the King and Queen hereon.

Did the Queen know previously, or has all of this only just come to her attention as well?
I would assume the Queen knew although perhaps not the details. After a few years of marriage you know your partner and when something new is going on it is usually noticable.

The swedish people will get tired of this story very quickly and life will go on. He was not alone when he partied - many of his friends were involved too. There must be numerous interesting discussions going on in castles and mansions around Sweden.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve2Eden View Post
This Sunday must have been an interesting gathering...
If they are a strong family they would have gathered no matter what... Yes, the discussions would have been interesting.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Serene Highness

The Queen apparently knew about the alleged affair with the singer. I'm not sure how much their children knew until now. In the 90's Victoria and Carl Philip would have been in their teens, Madeleine maybe even younger..

Tags
carl gustav