The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Nobility

Why waste your time on a woman who may never be queen.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I rather like the phrase from the blurb "to the verge of royalty"......
Really who would buy that book?

Old 11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ella one of my students (a girl) took a Mining Engineering degree at University. She told me that one of her professors told his class that the main thing to remember was that if they heard a creaking noise to get out. I am sure he was joking but it makes me shudder every time I think of it.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

That is a "shudder" thought, but I think it's partly true - we've had several tragic mine collapses here in the US over the past few years, including the heartbreaking one in West Virginia.

The more I look into this book, the more I'm seeing nothing new here. I'm not sure how many people, even royal watchers or those who like Kate, would want to read about her extended family history.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 11-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Nobility

What's so interesting about her family that isn't about ours? My family goes back to royalty and also to a bunch of movie stars. Not coal miners.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

That's why I posted directly above that I wasn't sure people would be interested in reading the book, blondie28. Though I have to say, I think the reason that Kate's background gets attention is because people affiliated with the royal family generally don't have coal-mining ancestors. You may be an anomaly with famous ancestry when compared to lots of us, but Kate's common ancestry is the anomaly in her circle.

I still don't think people are going to want to read about her distant family background.

HM The Queen
Old 11-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
Why waste your time on a woman who may never be queen.
My guess: both the author and the publisher smells money
Old 11-15-2008, 07:42 PM

What utter nonsense, there not even engaged for gods sake! In these financial times who has the money for such rubbish?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Coal miners.
That's just on her mother's side of the family. On her father's side they were middle class landowners.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
That's just on her mother's side of the family. On her father's side they were middle class landowners.
Where did you get that from? In her family tree on her father´s side it goes back about 4 generations to something Terrace in the city of Leeds.
Please tell me where to look. Back then middleclass was not the broad term they use these days.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

From what I've read, many aristocratic daughters seemed to be used as pawns married off for social or financial reasons. I think that would be frightening, growing up knowing that you might end up being married off to someone that one didn't particularly like and who might be much older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
9 years old...... that´s terrible. I have the same background minus film stars that Blondie has but it makes me grieve to think how many of the aristocratic families made money from poor little children down a mine, mills etc.
The women in the aristocratic families didn´t have it that easy either in a different way, on my husband´s family tree there is a young girl (daughter of a Count) who married at 19 had 5 children became a widow and married again and had 15 children.
From the dates that are provided I think she died of the 20th......
Buy a book about Kate´s relatives, no thanks.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

And not only that Mermaid, especially among the royals, someone you had never met (or perhaps would never want to meet).
Old 11-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness

Ella Kay or whomever knows - the Hello magazine articles and the new book about Ms Middleton. Who is doing the taking? Friends, relatives, or Kate?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I'd personally rule out Kate for either - the discretion business again. I'm sure others would disagree with me, but that's my take. I don't know who (if anyone) talked to Judy Wade for the Hello! article. Some were arguing that all of the information in the piece could have been found somewhere else, so nothing was an "exclusive" bit from a source.

If her Mail piece is any indication, Claudia Joseph talked to some distant relatives (great-aunts, second cousins, etc.). It seemed like perhaps the relatives in question had possibly not even met Kate (based on some of the text of the article).

HM The Queen
Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

in all fairness i will say that perhaps kate "implied" her permission for these people to talk to the media (i haven't read any of these articles so i'm not sure who is talking or what was said) but even members of the royal family have given their "consent" for their inner cirlce to talk to interviewers. i guess what i mean is that for anyone that says either of these ladies is encouraging all this attention i think they've shown by virtue of the fact that they haven't done anything to bring down the wrath of BP that they're making the "the firm" pretty happy.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Courtier

William and kate 3 new books coming out 2009

1. WILLIAM AND KATE THE LOVE STORY – PUBLISHED: MARCH 2009
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=robert+jobson
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kate-William-Robin-Nunn/dp/1862058431/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233863284&sr=1-4
2. CELEBRATING A ROYAL ROMANCE WILLIAM AND KATE
- PUBLISHED MAY 2009
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kate-Middleton-Princess-Waiting/dp/1845964209/ref=pd_sim_b_1
3. KATE MIDDLETON PRINCESS IN WAITING PUBLISHED: APRIL 2009
Old 02-05-2009, 04:08 PM

Even though I'm sure they will get married, I think this overhype of their relationship is too much.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Nobility

now's a good chance to catch up on what I missed...I have one on Preorder already
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I just don't understand why someone would want to write a book before all of the actual interesting stuff happens, the royal wedding drama part (actually I do -- $$$$$). Besides, probably anything they'll write about the couple could already be read on the 'net anyway.

HM The Queen
Old 02-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Don't take it so seriously. There's a market out there for royal romance fluff. It there wasn't, these books wouldn't see the light of day. The books will have comparisons between William and Kate's childhoods and will have a great deal to say about Diana. William's sterling military service and exalted destiny will get a run, with the happy conclusion of a forthcoming wedding with handsome prince and radiant bride. Of course it will be filled out with lots of glossy pictures. Any of us could probably piece most of the story together from what we know and from all the stuff we've read over the years.

The market these books are aimed at doesn't possess the same level of detailed interest or knowledge (or cynicism) as we who've been around the Forums for a while have. The books are probably relatively cheap to produce, they'll make enough sales to earn the writers and publishers a reasonable income, and a little while later they will be found in the bargain bins. It's simply modern publishing, and royal fluff books have been around for decades.

As examples, I have a book by Robert Lacey about the Queen Mother titled, of all things, "God Bless Her!" Then there's a book called "Royal Highness...The Royal Child" which is all about the ancestry of "HRH", published while Diana was pregnant but before Prince William was born. Then there's "Portrait of a Princess", the life story of Princess Anne; well, up to the age of twenty that is.

Going back much further, I have a 1936 book called "Our Ambassador King: His Majesty King Edward VIII's Life of Devotion and Service". If anyone thnks royal fluff is new, try this out:

"Throughout the happy home life he enjoyed, he had the full and healthy life of the normal English youth... He has always been eager to learn and ready to glean all possible knowledge about any subject in which he was interested... with amazing energy and determination he has often crowded into a single day a mass of work which would have appalled the majority of his future subjects... he developed into a keen and active man of the world who, while retaining all his boyish cheerfulness, added the full attributes of a man's estate."

And that's just some excerpts from page 1.

Tags
book, kate, royal, wedding, william