The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #521  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:14 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
. . . . . I choose to back up my work with how I interpret the information, I have gathered. I am trying to use my work to improve an institution, I believe needs improving.
What you have failled to grasp is that "in the beginning" . . . . posts were made about your book. You responded to the posts. Others agreed or disagreed with some or all of the previous posts and added their own. And in every case it is IMO except yours! You are emphatic that what you have written is infallably correct, that your sources are impeccable and that we, the ignorant users of this forum, must accept what you say without question.

The above quote shows that your book, by your own standard, is inescapably subjective. That is not necessarily a good or a bad thing. I is what it is.

You started out defending/promoting your book, and are now taking issue with posts. Most of the posts relate to subsequent posts and not your book. That's the way the forum works.

For myself, I admit to having an abiding dislike for books (and posts) written in the subjective negative. That is my feeling, my opinion and I don't expect anyone to concur with me just because I said so.
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
The reason why Mary can be upset because she is afraid to come out the truth.
Oh please...and what truth would that be, hmmm?
__________________

__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
CP Mary,IMO, went for the prince and fell in love with the man. There is nothing wrong in that, but based on my information CP Mary was very aware from early on that her boyfriend was not like the rest of us. Crunch time, as far as I am aware, came when she left Australia. First stop was Paris, which she didn't like much, so when the decision was made - by her and CP Frederik - for Mary to move to Denmark, she had made up mind that she wanted the prince and the kingdom. She faced that monumental decision with enourmous courage, I think, because by then there was no proposal on the table, yet Mary went ahead and started educating herself by learning Danish and reading up on Danish history. I know she from time to time despaired because there was no firm commitment from Frederik, but she suffered her "Kate Middleton-moment" with great dignity,IMO. To the best of my knowledge, Mary never seriously doubted, she could do the job - perhaps because she really did not understand the enormity of it. That insight came later - I am told.
Villemann, here you obviously tell a story as it was told to you by one of your sources. But just how reliable is this source? We have here a thread about the pre-wedding interviews Mary gave to a Danish journalist, which were translated by members and posted here. So here on this forums we have a firsthand source: Mary herself tells about her relationship, its development, her time in Paris, her move to Denmark and her feelings during this time pre-engagement when she thought about what becoming a Crown Princess meant.

And somehow my memories of what Mary told do not resemble your report at all. She absolutely thought about her future and was unsure if she could cope, she said she and Frederick decided to "take one step at a time" because she was not sure where all would lead and wanted to retain her chance to back out if need be, etc. So she gives a very different impression than you do here. Where's the truth?

I don't know. I can only judge by the reliability of sources: here we have you and an unnamed "source" and there we have firsthand information from the princess herself.... For me the answer is clear, absolutely clear.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
You are intitled to express you oppinion, just like I am - but being condescending isn't the best way to communicate if one wishes to convince others.
You clearly misunderstood the point, that was being made!
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
What you have failled to grasp is that "in the beginning" . . . . posts were made about your book. You responded to the posts. Others agreed or disagreed with some or all of the previous posts and added their own. And in every case it is IMO except yours! You are emphatic that what you have written is infallably correct, that your sources are impeccable and that we, the ignorant users of this forum, must accept what you say without question.

The above quote shows that your book, by your own standard, is inescapably subjective. That is not necessarily a good or a bad thing. I is what it is.

You started out defending/promoting your book, and are now taking issue with posts. Most of the posts relate to subsequent posts and not your book. That's the way the forum works.

For myself, I admit to having an abiding dislike for books (and posts) written in the subjective negative. That is my feeling, my opinion and I don't expect anyone to concur with me just because I said so.
We are having a discussion, aren't we? And in discussions one expresses one views, right? You are expresing your opinions. I am expressing mine!
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:52 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
We are having a discussion, aren't we? And in discussions one expresses one views, right? You are expresing your opinions. I am expressing mine!
Indeed we are, albeit that they are essentially polar opposites.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:53 AM
crisscross1's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabant View Post
She has an unerring instinct and ability for uncovering the truth.
It is only the truth if it is proved to be so..... As yet your wife's book is, as I see it, supposition. As far as I can tell everything Trinne has written is from a reliable source maybe, but hasn't really been proved to be the truth.... By this I mean that no member of the Royal Family has come forward to admit to anything that is published in the book. Correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________
Everyone is born right-handed, only the gifted overcome it!!
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
You clearly misunderstood the point, that was being made!

That is what happens when spoken/written to in a condescending way. In stead of focusing on the meaning - the form gets in focus.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1 View Post
It is only the truth if it is proved to be so..... Correct me if I'm wrong.
Now that "truth" really does remain to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I don't know. I can only judge by the reliability of sources: here we have you and an unnamed "source" and there we have firsthand information from the princess herself.... For me the answer is clear, absolutely clear.
In a nutshell? Absolutely!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Villemann, here you obviously tell a story as it was told to you by one of your sources. But just how reliable is this source? We have here a thread about the pre-wedding interviews Mary gave to a Danish journalist, which were translated by members and posted here. So here on this forums we have a firsthand source: Mary herself tells about her relationship, its development, her time in Paris, her move to Denmark and her feelings during this time pre-engagement when she thought about what becoming a Crown Princess meant.

And somehow my memories of what Mary told do not resemble your report at all. She absolutely thought about her future and was unsure if she could cope, she said she and Frederick decided to "take one step at a time" because she was not sure where all would lead and wanted to retain her chance to back out if need be, etc. So she gives a very different impression than you do here. Where's the truth?

I don't know. I can only judge by the reliability of sources: here we have you and an unnamed "source" and there we have firsthand information from the princess herself.... For me the answer is clear, absolutely clear.
Has it ever occcured to you, that CP Mary is telling her story the way she wants it told? It's called spin. Princesses, palaces and politicians use spin all the time. Based on MY information, which is not CP Mary's interview, she was aware from early on in their relationship,that Frederik was special, because he had a kingdom waiting for him at home. Does that diminish their love? Not at all! I just happen to belive in the information I have, which tells me that once she made the move to Europe, she was committed to him and his royal life. IMO, CP Mary held herself together in a very dignified manner during those months in Paris and later on in Denmark, because Frederik had not yet made the same commitment, she had.
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
That is what happens when spoken/written to in a condescending way. In stead of focusing on the meaning - the form gets in focus.
I don't believe there was anything condenscending in Brabant's post. You just misunderstood it!
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Indeed we are, albeit that they are essentially polar opposites.
which just makes it so more interesting,IMO.....
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Has it ever occcured to you, that CP Mary is telling her story the way she wants it told? It's called spin. Princesses, palaces and politicians use spin all the time. . . . . .
So essentially, what you are saying is, that CP Mary lied to the world on TV and you have proof!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
So essentially, what you are saying is, that CP Mary lied to the world on TV and you have proof!
I am not calling anyone a liar. I am merely saying that perhaps CP Mary told her story the way, she wants it told. People, who have read my book, know that the royals occasionally engage in a little spin.
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
I don't believe there was anything condenscending in Brabant's post. You just misunderstood it!
It is your post no. 511 I am referring to not your husbands post.

Just to refresh your memory you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Ok, English is not your first language: Let me, therefore, explain in simlpler terms: FOLLOWING the cartoons crisis,IMO (IN MY OPINION) the monarchy is more crucial that ever, because ,IMO (IN MY OPINION) it needs to work out how to protect Danish values without antagonizing Denmark's growing number of muslims. As a national rallying point the Danish Royal House IMO (IN MY OPINION) is facing it's biggest challenge in decades trying to make those two ends meet!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Gaia's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Ok, English is not your first language: Let me, therefore, explain in simlpler terms: FOLLOWING the cartoons crisis,IMO (IN MY OPINION) the monarchy is more crucial that ever, because ,IMO (IN MY OPINION) it needs to work out how to protect Danish values without antagonizing Denmark's growing number of muslims. As a national rallying point the Danish Royal House IMO (IN MY OPINION) is facing it's biggest challenge in decades trying to make those two ends meet.
I come from the country where hit books are best sellers, in fact it has a name...swiftboating. That being said, if the author is so interested in changing the Danish monarchy, why do it in Australia? If the Danish people are in peril, why aren't there articles by the author daily demanding reform? This is a monumental task and this one book is just the start, but you need to get back to Denmark and champion your cause.

I am curious as to why the author doesn't go to Hong Kong and start discussing Countess Alexandra, after all her stipend is another piece of the puzzle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
It is your post no. 511 I am referring to not your husbands post.

Just to refresh your memory you wrote:
Thanks, I know exactly which post you were referring to, but since it was the second time on this thread you misread something - first time was when you overlooked my IMO in a Joachim-sentence - I went throught the trouble of making absolutely certain, that you got the point that was being made. Shall we discuss 1015!
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
I come from the country where hit books are best sellers, in fact it has a name...swiftboating. That being said, if the author is so interested in changing the Danish monarchy, why do it in Austrailia? If the Danish people are in peril, why aren't there articles by the author daily demanding reform? This is a monumental task and this one book is just the start, but you need to get back to Denmark and champion your cause.

I am curious as to why the author doesn't go to Hong Kong and start discussing Countess Alexandra, after all her stipend is another piece of the puzzle.
Hi Gaia, I have spread the message all over Denmark and I am still spreading it at every opportunity, I get. My book was initially published in Denmark in October 2007. I don't expect to change the Danish monarchy by talking to the Australian media, but when I am asked, I do answer As for Alexandra and Hong Kong. I am busy on that one for my next book! What is swiftboating?
__________________
My book on the Danish Royal Family
www.1015copenhagenk.com
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Has it ever occcured to you, that CP Mary is telling her story the way she wants it told? It's called spin. Princesses, palaces and politicians use spin all the time. .
We were talking about the reliability of sources, not about the truth, whatever that is in such a case. My point was that Mary told her story directly: how it was from her Point of View and how she felt living through these circumstances and events. That is a firsthand source: she was there, she talks about her life and she signs her statements with her name. And you simply can't say that your source is as good as that: your source might have been there as well and talks about it but as he/she is not Mary, the source can't have any firsthand knowledge of what Mary knew, felt etc. at any given time! And your source is unnamed, so we can't even evaluate how close this source was to Mary. So your source is second class compared to Mary herself.

Of course this does not say how reliable Mary's report is: since the Morton-book we all know how "truthful" princesses are when telling their own story if need be and how willing they are to rewrite history. But still the Morton- as well as the settelen-tapes are firsthand information - not stand-alone information but a firsthand report none-the-less.

In Diana's case I think it is important to check where she lied and to what aim, as she aimed on destruction with her tale. But with Mary's report I don't see that. It's a genuine sounding report of a young lady in love, a young bride with high hopes for her future and a knowledge of her responsibility who wanted to give the Danes the chance to get to know her before becoming their CP. So if she glossed over some things? Why not? And did she really gloss over them or was that the way she saw (and sees) it? Her aim was to help and protect her future life, she had only positive motives for her giving these interviews and for me that is reason enough to trust her here.

While claiming she lied (or put her own spin to a much more negative "truth" as you present is) is working towards the aim that scandal and innuendo sells. And for me there is need of much better proof than just unamed sources if I am to take these claims as "professional and serious journalism".
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,253
Swiftboating, from Wiki:
"Swift-boating's essence is a particular kind of dishonesty, or rather a particular combination of shadowy dishonesties. It usually involves a complex web of facts, many of which may even be true. It exploits its own complexity and the reluctance of the media to adjudicate factual disputes. No matter how thoroughly a charge may be discredited, enough taint remains to support an argument. The fundamental dishonesty is the suggestion that the issue, whatever it is, really matters."

It is an American term coined to describe a certain type of political attack.
__________________

__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary current events danish royals duchess of cambridge duchess of cambridge style fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander olympic games ottoman poland pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince laurent prince maurits princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit visit wedding william winter olympics 2014


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]