The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Carl Philip and Sofia's first child
Boy 46 67.65%
Girl 22 32.35%
Twins - Boy, Boy 0 0%
Twins - Girl, Girl 0 0%
Twins - Boy, Girl 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Commoner

more photos of Prince Alexander
http://65.media.tumblr.com/add4c412d...ym06o1_540.jpg
http://66.media.tumblr.com/670340172...b0f5o1_500.jpg

Old 08-13-2016, 06:26 AM
Serene Highness

Ah, baby discovers his hands, that is so cute.

Love his sweater.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Nobility

More information about the Christening from the Royal Court. The Officiating clergy will be the same as when Price Oscar was christened, and he will wear the same gown.

Invited are the closest family, European royal families, and the Official Sweden.

Officiating clergy at the christening of HRH Prince Alexander - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 08-17-2016, 10:22 PM
Nobility

Alexander is fifth in line to the throne and there are royal guests? He and his father will never be sovereign thanks to the 1979 Riksdag and Victoria and Daniel's children. Is the king trying to make this christening a grander ceremony than it should be to make up for Carl Philip not being heir apparent now?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Goodness gracious. Maybe it's because Prince Carl Philip is closely related to foreign European Royal Families, like his second cousins from Denmark, Greece and Germany, or his third cousins from Norway. Maybe he asked one of them to be one of his son's godparents?

But of course it always a good time to rehash this ridiculously pathetic fanfiction about the King not being able to get over a change in the law after almost 40 years. Or to telling people that (gasp!) Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine will never reign, as if this wasn't plainly obvious with a Crown Princess who has two children.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Alexander is fifth in line to the throne and there are royal guests? He and his father will never be sovereign thanks to the 1979 Riksdag and Victoria and Daniel's children. Is the king trying to make this christening a grander ceremony than it should be to make up for Carl Philip not being heir apparent now?
There is a clear difference, at Leonore's and Nicolas's christenings the press release said "The invited guests are the immediate family and representatives of the Riksdag, the Government and official Sweden."
So Madeleine didn't invite foreign royals. Prince Andreas of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha attended at both christenings as Madeleine's godfather.

Maybe Carl Philip and Sofia have chosen a foreign royal as a godparent. Or maybe they just have wanted to invite foreign royals to the christening.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

I noticed that Sofia shared some looks with Crown Princess Mary of Denmark at Oscar's christening. It's probably completely far-fetched but I'd love if she was chosen as godmother to Alexander (perhaps an overkill considering that she's already Estelle's godmother but, you know, the more royal godchildren for Mary the merrier, and QMII is CP's godmother so it's not completely bonkers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
God, this is such a reach, it's almost hilarious. Because yes, god forbid that Carl Philip have foreign royal friends. What could this possibly mean? A plot to take over the throne? And you're getting yourself all worked up without even knowing who these foreign royals will be – it'll probably be Hereditary Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha or someone akin to him, and whoever it is will probably be a godparent.

I almost hope they've invited both the Danish and the Norwegian royals (who are, yes, you've guessed it, family, by the way) just to see all of Sofia's sworn enemies collectively lose their minds over the "grandness" of it all

Old 08-18-2016, 01:01 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't expect any crowned heads, but probably a handful of Scandi. I could see 1 being a godparent (2 sisters, 2 friends, 1 foreign royal). Margrethe and Leopold of Bavaria are his godparents. Perhaps Joachim or Manuel of Bavaria may be chosen.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I noticed that Sofia shared some looks with Crown Princess Mary of Denmark at Oscar's christening. It's probably completely far-fetched but I'd love if she was chosen as godmother to Alexander (perhaps an overkill considering that she's already Estelle's godmother but, you know, the more royal godchildren for Mary the merrier, and QMII is CP's godmother so it's not completely bonkers).

God, this is such a reach, it's almost hilarious. Because yes, god forbid that Carl Philip have foreign royal friends. What could this possibly mean? A plot to take over the throne? And you're getting yourself all worked up without even knowing who these foreign royals will be – it'll probably be Hereditary Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha or someone akin to him, and whoever it is will probably be a godparent.

I almost hope they've invited both the Danish and the Norwegian royals (who are, yes, you've guessed it, family, by the way) just to see all of Sofia's sworn enemies collectively lose their minds over the "grandness" of it all

For people, anything where Carl Philip and Sofia are concerned is a potential threat to the holy Victoria. "They do this and that. The ones with sole rights to that are Victoria and Daniel because they are the Crown Princess Couple. How *dare* Carl Philip and Sofia do something similar? Can't they think of something on their own?" Etc.. Yes, how *dare* they?

Having that said, Victoria herself behaves more regal than many of her fans apparently seem to do. She, not people scattered anywhere on the planet, is the one to see Sofia the most and she seems to get along with her perfectly fine. I even think she's closer to her than Madeleine is.

I am not defending Sofia, I am much less into her corner than I was then (faded interest - yes, even with me), but I still don't understand the hate towards her. I suppose because she's part of the family she continues to irk the royal buttons. Self-protection is the key word.

As for the christening itself: probably the only crowned heads will be, like posted above me, the Scandinavian neighbours. Alexander is less important than Estelle and Oscar, but more important than Leonore and Nicolas.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM
Nobility

Alexander is less important than Estelle and Oscar, but more important than Leonore and Nicolas.[/QUOTE]

I agree Skippy that there is an order of 'importance' as far as the constitution is concerned. As far as the family is concerned I suspect the children and grandchildren are equally important. CP and Sofia designed their wedding as they wanted it and I believe it is probably the same with the christening. Whatever makes it work for them while respecting protocol.

Like you I follow them less now but am still interested in special events. And I have to add that I think Princess Sofia has done an excellent job over the past year. Yes she may have chosen the wrong color for an outfit or grown in her pregnancy so the dress she had planned to wear to an event was a bit tight but she has carried out her duties with professionalism while remaining true to herself.

So on to the christening and new outfits!!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps by royal guests they mean his godmother Queen Margrethe has been invited!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

I was only mildy surprised that foreign royals are invited. But I think they will be the scandinavians ones and likely prince Hubertus, a strongly contender as godfather.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

If Hubertus is a nod to a godfather and not just Grandpa (like Estelle/Mary, Oscar/Oscar Magnuson), IMO its more likely to be Birgitta's younger son Prince Hubertus. Hubertus SCG is related, but Hubertus Hohenzollern is not only his 1st cousin but his mother is CP's godmother.

Madeleine's godparents include Aunt Christina and Uncle Walter (Benedikte and Andreas SCG other 2). Leonor has Patrick Sommerlath (Walter's son) and Nicolas has Gustaf Magnuson (Christina's son). Victoria has Beatrix, Harald, Uncle Ralph and Princess Desiree. Estelle has WA (Bea's son) and Haakon (Harald's son). Oscar I was a bit surprised had Oscar and not one of Desiree or Rolph's kids.

I'd not be surprised if Hubertus or one of the Bavarian or Danes serve.