Possible names, godparents and duchy of their second child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boy or Girl?

• Boy?

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Girl?

Votes: 33 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if names are "claimed" or "reserved" in Sweden. But they seem to use the same names even among siblings. If you look at the current King's father & father's siblings:

Gustaf Adolf Oscar Frederik Edmund
Sigvard Oscar Frederik
Bertil Gustaf Oscar Carl Eugen
Carl Johan Arthur

one of Gustaf, Oscar, Carl appears in all their names.

Godparents: Princess Madeleine, Sara Hellqvist, another Bernadotte cousin or a Sommerlath one, Oscar Kylberg and the ex colleague of Sofia from PP.

Ah, I was just about to make almost the same prediction.

Princess Madeleine and Sara Hellqvist... well, you don't even get your money back on that guess :) Oscar Kylberg seem to be both a close friend and business partner to Carl Philip, just like Frida Vesterberg is to Sofia. So that's four out of five.

The fifth one is probably going to be male. My fifth guess is prince Daniel. I know he's close to Carl Philip and Sofia, and he isn't a godparent yet in the royal circles. I put my money there!

I don't know if names are "claimed" or "reserved" in Sweden. But they seem to use the same names even among siblings. If you look at the current King's father & father's siblings:

Sigvard Oscar Frederik
Carl Johan Arthur

one of Gustaf, Oscar, Carl appears in all their names.

Yes but look at more recent royal generations. Notice CG has three grandsons and none have a name in common. All three boys honor the king, but use a different version. One has Carl, one Gustaf and Alexander has Hubertus.

The king and three of his sisters all have a son named Carl but they are double barrel names. Carl Philip, Carl Christian, Carl Otto and Carl Gustaf (he goes simply Gustaf). Middle names are repeated among cousins but not siblings. There are a few shared first names, but most are different generations.

Last edited:
Yes but look at more recent royal generations. Notice CG has three grandsons and none have a name in common. All three boys honor the king, but use a different version. One has Carl, one Gustaf and Alexander has Hubertus.

The king and three of his sisters all have a son named Carl but they are double barrel names. Carl Philip, Carl Christian, Carl Otto and Carl Gustaf (he goes simply Gustaf). Middle names are repeated among cousins but not siblings. There are a few shared first names, but most are different generations.

You are right.

I think it will be another boy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Victoria honoured with a namesake if the couple have a girl. Carl Philip and she are very close. Lilly, Olivia and Alice could be chosen. I like Astrid and Tyra as they're more traditional, but I doubt the parents would pick those.

Viktor is a possibility for a boy I think, or perhaps Theo or Thomas, maybe Philip as a middle name for his father's sake.

Last edited:
I think it will be another boy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Victoria honoured with a namesake if the couple have a girl. Carl Philip and she are very close. Lilly, Olivia and Alice could be chosen. I like Astrid and Tyra as they're more traditional, but I doubt the parents would pick those.

Viktor is a possibility for a boy I think, or perhaps Theo or Thomas, maybe Philip as a middle name for his father's sake.

They chose something pretty classic in Alexander, and one found in the tree, I don't see them choosing a random most popular baby name like theo.

Lily I could see but as a nickname. I always suspected when neither Victoria or Madeleine used Lilian as a first name, it was becayse CP wanted to use it. Naming a baby girl Lilian but using Lilly as an every day nickname seems highly possible. Alice for Silvia's mother too, thohgh maybe too close to Alex,

Last edited:
Boy or girl, it doesn't really matter. Only... girls wear tiaras at the Nobels. I know, that's a superficial reason, but I hope for a girl anyway. ;)

Princess Madeleine and Sara Hellqvist... well, you don't even get your money back on that guess :) Oscar Kylberg seem to be both a close friend and business partner to Carl Philip, just like Frida Vesterberg is to Sofia. So that's four out of five.

The fifth one is probably going to be male. My fifth guess is prince Daniel. I know he's close to Carl Philip and Sofia, and he isn't a godparent yet in the royal circles. I put my money there!

I am with you - except for Prince Daniel. Not that I don't want him to be a godparent, but I have to see it first to believe it.
As for name and duchy, I have no idea. I suspect that they may go the non-traditional route again. Just as with Alexander - as far as I know not traditional in royal Sweden and there is no namesake in the tree at kungahuset.se.
And I think they will have a girl, then Alexander can be a protective big brother (traditional, I know ;)).

We'll see in September.

Last edited:
Boy or girl, it doesn't really matter. Only... girls wear tiaras at the Nobels. I know, that's a superficial reason, but I hope for a girl anyway. ;)

I'm hoping for a girl too,will CF's hypothetical daughter still be a member of the Royal House,when she gets old enough to wear a tiara?
Anyway,anything can happen

I am with you - except for Prince Daniel. Not that I don't want him to be a godparent, but I have to see it first to believe it.
As for name and duchy, I have no idea. I suspect that they may go the non-traditional route again. Just as with Alexander - as far as I know not traditional in royal Sweden and there is no namesake in the tree at kungahuset.se.
And I think they will have a girl, then Alexander can be a protective big brother (traditional, I know ;)).

We'll see in September.

Maybe not traditional, but classic. Not something pulled off the modern popular baby list.

There is at least one Alexander in Swedish royal line , a son of King Sigismund. They are also descended from empress Josephine and her first husband Alexandre. Alexandre was Queen Josephine's paternal grandfather.

As for tiara, yes I would expect to see any granddaughters in tiaras. The extended royal family attend tiara events. I don't see their children, the great grandchildren of the king, wearing tiaras except in the main line. Unless like Sofia, other newer tiaras are made for the branch. Sofia and Madeleine's personal tiaras are likely to be passed down, so we may see those on future generations.

Last edited:

Sigvard Oscar Frederik
Carl Johan Arthur

One of Gustaf, Oscar, Carl appears in all their names.

Sigvard. Now wouldn't that be a grand name. Sig.....I like it. :flowers:

I'm hoping for a girl too,will CF's hypothetical daughter still be a member of the Royal House,when she gets old enough to wear a tiara?
Anyway,anything can happen

My guess is that CP’s hypothetical daughter will be HRH Princess and member of the royal family even at 18yrs and wear a tiara. However, if she marries a non-royal, she would loose the HRH but keep the Princess, like what happened to three of the King’s sisters, but still wear a tiara.

My guess is that CP’s hypothetical daughter will be HRH Princess and member of the royal family even at 18yrs and wear a tiara. However, if she marries a non-royal, she would loose the HRH but keep the Princess, like what happened to three of the King’s sisters, but still wear a tiara.

Given as all 3 of the King's children married non-royals without repercussions, I suspect his grandchildren won't face any repercussions for marrying non-royals when the time comes.

Well, I just gave out my predictions basing my thinking on the pattern CP and Sofia used to select Alexander's godparents. So, yeah, maybe it's a bit of a safe bet.

As much as I would like to see Daniel as a royal godparent, something tells me he will only be one in case P. Madeleine has a third child.

That rule was over turned decades ago. Even before Madeleine and Victoria.

The old rule applied to both sons and daughters. If they made unequal marriages they lost their title. That is why men like Sigvard lost their title, and not simply HRH. It's why bertil waited so long to marry. The rules changed with the current king. It allowed him to marry Silvia and bertil to marry Lilian.

The only question will be their spouses. Daniel uses his wife's title and Chris could have. I don't see husbands of Leonor and any daughters to come (other than Estelle of vote se) husband being an HrH but be interesting if they are allowed to be Duke of....

The three siblings have so far followed similar pattern when picking Godparents for their kids, so I think it will be Princess Madeleine.
That's why me too thinks Prince Daniel will eventually be a Godparent if Carl Philip/Sofia or Madeleine/Chris gets a third child.

Last edited:
A new little Princess Astrid of Sweden would be lovely.

Boy: Arthur Edmund Oscar Gustaf
Girl: Alice (or Ingrid) Marie Sybillia Margaret

Princess Sibylla. :flowers: That would be wonderful for the King. I love the sound of it.

Prince Sigvard if a boy. :flowers:

If it’s a girl, I’d love to see her named: Adele Marie Silvia Gabriella (I love how the name is pronnounced in swedish).

My other suggestion is: Cecilia Renate Malin Lovisa

But, if the baby is a boy, here comes my guesses for his name: Arthur Edmund Theodore or Carl Svere Philip.

But there are a lot of names that I can see Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia picking for their baby. So here it goes:

Agnes, Astrid, Barbara, Beatrice, Carolina, Elise or Elisa, Ester, Greta, Olivia, Alice and Josephine.

Albert, Benjamin, Edvard, Gustaf or Gustav, Oliver, Olle, Johan and August.

And now guesses for the godparentes: Princess Madeleine, Sara Hellqvist, Frida Vasterberg and Oscar Kylberg.

Come to think of it, these people also have a good shot; Prince Daniel, Christopher O’Neill, Hanna Nygren, Barbro C. Ehnbom and Madeleine Rahn.

GIRL - Lillian Victoria Renate Amelie, Duchess of Halland

BOY - Gustav Bjorn Edmund Erik, Duke of Halland

Edmund Victor Philip Sigvard
Carl Johan Edmund Gustaf
Alfred Edmund Carl Sigvard
Maximilian Carl Edmund Sigvard
Felix Carl Edmund Gustaf

Mathilda Lilian Alice Marie
Ingrid Alice Lilian Marie
Lilian Silvia Philippa Marie
Josephine Lilian Alice Marie
Isabella Lilian Philippa Marie

As for the duchy, I'm gonna go for Västerbotten (again – sixth time's the charm?), especially if it's a boy named Edmund. If not Västerbotten, I think it'll be either Härjedalen, Småland or Dalarna.

Godparents:
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Sara Hellqvist
Prince Daniel of Sweden
Frida Vesterberg
Oscar Kylberg

I was voted last week
another boy for Carl Philip and Sofia;)

(My prediction)

Boy: HRH Prince Fabian Edmund Folke Johan of Sweden, Duke of Dalarna

Girl: HRH Princess Cecile Kristina Johanna Marie of Sweden, Duchess of Dalarna

Definitely Princess Madeleine and Sara Hellqvist will be godmothers.
For godfathers, they will choose their relatives or close friends.

Last edited:
According to baby name sites the Swedish would be Charlotta

https://www.behindthename.com/name/charlotta

But Caroline is considered a variation of Charles/Carl as well

The wife of Charles VIII was Charlotte. It was her third given name but the one she used as quern. I believe her nickname was Lotta.

Princess Charlotta Renate Marie Lilian

Princess Carolina Silvia Britt Sibylla

I think you are refering to King Carl XIII (reigned 1809-§8§8), He was married to Hedvig Elisabeth Charlotta of Holstein Gottorp.

Last edited:
Yes that is indeed true,I wonder if there is a Swedish version of the name Charlotte a double nod/ honour for the father and grandfather?

According to baby name sites the Swedish would be Charlotta

https://www.behindthename.com/name/charlotta

But Caroline is considered a variation of Charles/Carl as well

The wife of Charles VIII was Charlotte. It was her third given name but the one she used as quern. I believe her nickname was Lotta.

Princess Charlotta Renate Marie Lilian

Princess Carolina Silvia Britt Sibylla

If the name was used I'm absolutely certain that the version used would be Charlotte. It's much more contemporary than Charlotta.

Gossip magazine Hänt i Veckan writes this week that Sofia is sure that she is having a girl, she has been feeling differently now than when she was pregnant for the first time. And according to the informants of the magazine, the baby will get four names and they have chosen Christina as the name to the baby. Sofia is Sofia Kristina and princess Christina has always been close to the King's family.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Gossip magazine Hänt i Veckan writes this week that Sofia is sure that she is having a girl, she has been feeling differently now than when she was pregnant for the first time. And according to the informants of the magazine, the baby will get four names and they have chosen Christina as the name to the baby. Sofia is Sofia Kristina and princess Christina has always been close to the King's family.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

I like the spelling of 'Kristina' for the name. :flowers: Nice that it will be a little girl.

If it's a girl: princess Anna Marie Silvia Kristina

I was also thinking Isabella could be a choice for a first name.

If it's a boy: prince William Arthur Carl Gustaf

My birthday's September 17. I hope their baby will be born on this day :) that would be awesome.

Last edited:
I like the spelling of 'Kristina' for the name. :flowers: Nice that it will be a little girl.

Gossip magazines need to be taken with a truck load if salt. :whistling:

I hope they are right on both though :flowers: But Christina seems like they chose a safe guess hoping to be proven right,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom