The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I take it as choice of the parents. While Victoria & Madeleine tend to want more privacy for their families, they understand their positions and interest in their children so they have more control on what's released to the public.

Prince Oscar's last photo op was when he was presented to Sweden (and the world) on the king's birthday (the balcony), in the arms of his mother, the heiress apparent. The balcony presentation showed a grumpy but cute prince (I want my nap) but it defined his station. And Oscar's christening at the Royal Chapel where Estelle was christened also reminds everyone he's the child of a future sovereign.

Alexander looks adorable in the new pics.
I agree about the christening, but I don't think Oscar's appearance on the balcony has any meaningful significance in terms of his status within the dynasty. Putting it in other words, I am pretty sure that, if Alexander were old enough, and had not been born only a few days earlier, the King would also have him in Sofia's arms on the balcony. Future events will confirm if I am right or not.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Commoner

Beautiful family!! Princess Sofia looks stunning!
Prince Alexander is such a cute boy!!

I am also curious about Prince Alexandra's eye color! I hope he gets her mom's eyes!!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

lovely photos. I liked that they included both parents
Old 05-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I take it as choice of the parents. While Victoria & Madeleine tend to want more privacy for their families, they understand their positions and interest in their children so they have more control on what's released to the public.

Prince Oscar's last photo op was when he was presented to Sweden (and the world) on the king's birthday (the balcony), in the arms of his mother, the heiress apparent. The balcony presentation showed a grumpy but cute prince (I want my nap) but it defined his station. And Oscar's christening at the Royal Chapel where Estelle was christened also reminds everyone he's the child of a future sovereign.

Alexander looks adorable in the new pics.
more privacy? good joke, it is not Madeleine is the only one in the royal family to be on social networks and put quite often private photos of her children? I personally do not critical, she did as she wants, but that she has played more private, is fun.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Courtier

I still believe CG secretly prefers his son because he wanted him so badly to become the heir to the throne. Usually GP never, as far as I know, releases photos on occasion of his birthdays (only if he has a round one like 30 or 40 or so). So this is not the reason. I find it strange as well that they so far didn´t publish a photo of Daniel and his son f.i. or some other new photos of Oscar....
Old 05-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful family photos. Alexander is sure a big boy, and I agree he looks like Grandpa Hellqvuist. Love we got pics of the entire family, including the dog. Agree better photos then Vic's, but then again these are professionally done where Daniel took the photos of his wife and kids.

I do wish we would get more of Oscar. Its not a competition on number, but I miss seeing a whole family photo, and one with Dan and his son. Even with the balcony, we have only seen Oscar held by Vic, well and Estelle.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Fantastic pix of a really beautiful family !!!!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Very nice pictures!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Heir Apparent

They just seem besotted with their baby
Old 05-14-2016, 06:47 AM
Serene Highness

This is not a competition each couple decides how many and what pictures to release to the public. If Victoria and Daniel wanted more pictures released they would have done so. I would think people would be happy to see these pictures not complain about the others this has nothing to do with Oscar.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

He is a beautiful baby! The photos are just wonderful, so dream like.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Majesty

Wonderful images of Prince Carl-Philip, Princess Sofia and Prince Alexander. A beautiful new link to the male Bernadotte lineage.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I still believe CG secretly prefers his son because he wanted him so badly to become the heir to the throne.
He did not wanted him so badly to become Heir to the throne. Crown Prince Carl Philip of Sweden WAS Heir to the throne indeed. His father did object about the retroactivity of the change: "We know you are Crown Prince now, nevertheless we make your sister Crown Princess. Period."

In Norway they did change the succession as well but there the already existing situation was respected: Crown Prince Haakon remained the Heir and was not demoted in favour of his elder sister Princess Märtha Louise. That was an elegant solution for a quite substantial historic change.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I still believe CG secretly prefers his son because he wanted him so badly to become the heir to the throne. Usually GP never, as far as I know, releases photos on occasion of his birthdays (only if he has a round one like 30 or 40 or so). So this is not the reason. I find it strange as well that they so far didn´t publish a photo of Daniel and his son f.i. or some other new photos of Oscar....
It's no secret that Carl Gustaf wanted Carl Philip to be his successor but I am hard pressed to see how the release of these photos indicates favoritism or lingering resentment over Carl Philip being stripped of his position as Crown Prince. Even though Carl Philip's birthday was mentioned, the message is pretty much the same as the accompanying message when pictures Of Prince Oscar was released, and that is both families are thanking the public for their well wishes following the births of the newest princes.

The reason that Daniel was not in the photos that were released of Prince Oscar with his mother and sister is because Daniel himself took the pictures.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
This is not a competition each couple decides how many and what pictures to release to the public. If Victoria and Daniel wanted more pictures released they would have done so. I would think people would be happy to see these pictures not complain about the others this has nothing to do with Oscar.
No one of us knows who decides how many photos of each couple will be published. Only thing which the swedish royal experts highlight very often is that the kind decides everything regarding about the royal family and court.
But we saw at least hundred photos of Oscar at the balcony and we will see hundreds of photos of him at his christening, so we have no reason to complain about.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
But we saw at least hundred photos of Oscar at the balcony and we will see hundreds of photos of him at his christening, so we have no reason to complain about.
And we will see him at Victoria's b-day in July, and possibly at Sweden National Day in June (he might not be there but I'm sure they will release an official picture like they did to Estelle over the years).

I'm pleased with the pictures, they look such a lovely and loving little family. The baby is the first born, it's normal to have more pictures taken, just like it happened with Estelle.

The thing with Carl Gustaf is another issue IMO, and even though we know he did want his son to succeed him (and even though I still feel favoritism on him), I'm sure he is somehow happy Victoria is the heir now. She's been a role model for everyone and she is loved by all, even more than him. Having a daughter who is respected and loved by the people, must make him proud of having her as his heir and future Queen (he must feel at ease to leave the swedish crown to her one day).
Old 05-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Majesty

The painpoint was the retroactivity. Imagine that that Parliament decides that only children of a King or a Heir(ess) have the title HRH Prince (Princess) of Sweden. This in an attempt to downsize the number of people who have that position.

When they do this retro-actively: "Sorry Alexander, sorry Leonore, sorry Nicholas... you are no longer a Prince (Princess) of Sweden, you lose your prefix HRH, goodbye" then Prince Carl Philip or Princess Madeleine would most likely feel equally upset about this, as their father felt when, back then, the Crown Prince was stripped from his position.

When Parliament announces that they want to change things "but with respect to the existing positions" then Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine most likely will feel lesser objections because that is an elegant solution with respect for their children Prince Alexander, Princess Leonore and Prince Nicholas.

I am sure King Carl XVI Gustaf is proud on his daughter but indeed, as he is also the Pater Familias and head of the royal dynasty, I can imagine he has an attachment to his son, as many fathers have. It is only natural. He sees his flesh and blood, he sees himself in his son. Of course he will see himself too in Victoria and Madeleine but everyone knows that father-son relations often have another character than father-daughter relations.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The painpoint was the retroactivity. Imagine that that Parliament decides that only children of a King or a Heir(ess) have the title HRH Prince (Princess) of Sweden. This in an attempt to downsize the number of people who have that position.

When they do this retro-actively: "Sorry Alexander, sorry Leonore, sorry Nicholas... you are no longer a Prince (Princess) of Sweden, you lose your prefix HRH, goodbye" then Prince Carl Philip or Princess Madeleine would most likely feel equally upset about this, as their father felt when, back then, the Crown Prince was stripped from his position.

When Parliament announces that they want to change things "but with respect to the existing positions" then Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine most likely will feel lesser objections because that is an elegant solution with respect for their children Prince Alexander, Princess Leonore and Prince Nicholas.

I am sure King Carl XVI Gustaf is proud on his daughter but indeed, as he is also the Pater Familias and head of the royal dynasty, I can imagine he has an attachment to his son, as many fathers have. It is only natural. He sees his flesh and blood, he sees himself in his son. Of course he will see himself too in Victoria and Madeleine but everyone knows that father-son relations often have another character than father-daughter relations.
We are at the wrong thread to discuss about this, but already before Victoria was born there had been discussed in Sweden about changing the order of succession. And Prime minister Fälldin's government made a proposition of it in December 1977, then everything started legally and publicly.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

These new photos were a charming surprise. Little Alexander is a sweet and beautiful baby, and he appears to be a rather big as well. I think all the photos are lovely, but my favourites are the black and white ones, as they have a very warm, almost sentimental feel to them. In the black and white photo of Alexander and Carl Philip, I can see some resemblance to Leonore in Alexander, particularly around the mouth. It was a cute touch for the dog to be included too!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Gentry

I love the setting of these pictures. Historical backround looks wonderful and the colors provide very lovely spring feeling.
My favorites: Prince Carl Philip adoringly gazing down at the baby while touching his son's head and holding his hand around Sofia's waist and that picture with Carl Philip holding his son against his shoulder. Liked that the dog was also included in the photoshoot.

Tags
birth, prince alexander of sweden