The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

To me it's a given that Alexander will take over the lease one day but I'm not so sure about Carl Philip not holding it between the King and his son. He's already heavily involved in the running of the estate and he has a degree in agriculture.
The will states that the lease is for a prince of the royal house and that a Duke of Södermanland have first dibs on the lease if he or his guardian wants it but it also states that if there are more persons who has an equal right to the lease it's up to the King to decide. The will doesn't spell out what these equal rights are but the vague wording allows, according to my interpretation, for the King to leave the lease to Carl Philip who'll then in due time be succeeded by his son.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

To correct my earlier comment, it was Carl Philip's (not Alexander's) eventual takeover of the lease which Ms. Thorgren declined to confirm, and I assume she left it open as Alexander will perhaps already be of age when the current king passes away, and should he demand to take over Stenhammar his rights as the Duke of Södermanland will override those of his father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaxon1 View Post
Since the number of dukedoms is limited (the 25 traditional provinces, or "landskap"), sooner or later the King would have been forced to give away the Dukedom of Södermanland and the rights to Stenhammar. In this way, it stays in Carl Philip's family. It probably was the King's plan all along.
Would keeping the Dukedom of Södermanland and Stenhammar in Prince Carl Philip's family remain a feasible option if the future Queen Victoria, to limit the number of Princes and Princesses, decided not to request the government to give its consent to the marriages of her brother's sons and as a result their children were not royal? In terms of precedent, Stenhammar did not stay with Count Lennart Bernadotte after his father Prince Wilhelm's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
To me it's a given that Alexander will take over the lease one day but I'm not so sure about Carl Philip not holding it between the King and his son. He's already heavily involved in the running of the estate and he has a degree in agriculture.
The will states that the lease is for a prince of the royal house and that a Duke of Södermanland have first dibs on the lease if he or his guardian wants it but it also states that if there are more persons who has an equal right to the lease it's up to the King to decide. The will doesn't spell out what these equal rights are but the vague wording allows, according to my interpretation, for the King to leave the lease to Carl Philip who'll then in due time be succeeded by his son.
I think the intent of the "equal rights" wording was to leave it to the King to decide which prince of the royal house should hold Stenhammar at times when there are multiple adult princes of the Royal House, but none hold the Dukedom of Södermanland, or the Duke of Södermanland has declined the lease. However, assuming that Alexander in adulthood will have a good relationship with his father, the likelihood that he will demand his father give up Stenhammar to him is probably very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Only when he passes it will leave CP's line (assuming that Alexander and Gabriel's children won't be princes of Sweden) and another royal duke (most likely a son (or grandson) of Estelle if she has any) will take over.
If the queen or king on the throne at the time Alexander dies wishes for their daughter or granddaughter to take over Stenhammar, would the members of the National Property Board truly decide in the 22nd century on the interpretation that the estate is eligible to be leased to men only?

Old 06-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

Would keeping the Dukedom of Södermanland and Stenhammar in Prince Carl Philip's family remain a feasible option if the future Queen Victoria, to limit the number of Princes and Princesses, decided not to request the government to give its consent to the marriages of her brother's sons and as a result their children were not royal? In terms of precedent, Stenhammar did not stay with Count Lennart Bernadotte after his father Prince Wilhelm's death.

Even if it would have been possible for Count Lennart Bernadotte to take over the lease of Stenhammar i don't he would have wanted it or had the time for it as he then already had taken over the Mainau and made it succesfull.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

The King's forests at Stenhammar have been severely attacked by European spruce bark beetle.
Drought causes the pest insect to spread - causing major problems for forest owners.
The European spruce bark beetle is the insect that causes the greatest damage to our spruce forests, according to the Swedish Forest Agency. The extremely dry and hot summer last year led to record-breaking attacks mainly in southern Sweden - and major damage is expected this year as well.
The Forest Board therefore urges forest owners in affected areas to keep a close watch on their forests and to inventory the stock continuously to look for infestations.
- I follow the development with the European spruce bark beetle closely and get involved in the problem. Stenhammar's goods have been attacked. The most important thing now is to explore the distribution and report so that you get a complete picture of how serious the problem is. It is extremely time-consuming and costs money, but is the only way to overcome this, says King Carl Gustaf.
The king often says that Stenhammar's estate is the place where he feels most at home. He and Queen Silvia go there as often as they can, they spend many weekends there.
The Royal Stenhammar estate in Södermanland uses drones to survey the ravages of European spruce bark beetle in the forest.
Kungens skogar angripna av granbarkborre – berättar själv
Old 08-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

The King sells Zlatan and Zolo!

https://www.svenskdam.se/kungligt/ku...atan-och-zolo/

At Stenhammar's estate outside Flen, it's time to get rid of a couple of faithful servants in the garden.

They are a little bull-headed, everything, Zlatan and Zolo, who can no longer remain at Stenhammar Estate. The two, muscular gentlemen in the pasture are to be sold.
https://translate.google.pt/translat...an-och-zolo%2F
Old 08-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Stenhammar Estate Management, Lida Gård and Flen Municipality present:

Welcome to a large food bazaar & integration party with Flen VärldsOrkester, Flen Unga VärldsOrkester & Silvertrion.
See you at the castle park at Stenhammar castle Sunday 1 September 2019 • Free entry • Parking SEK 50 (cash or Swish) • Come hungry! Flavors from all over the world are available at the large food bazaar. Keep in mind that cash or Swish may be needed.

Program:

13.00: The entrance opens
14.00: The King & Queen are on site and welcome the people
14.10: Flen Unga VärldsOrkester
15.00: Silvertrion
15.40: Flen VärldsOrkester
http://www.stenhammarsgods.se/wp-con...6/IMG_9724.jpg
Musik & Mat — Stenhammars Godsförvaltning
Old 10-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The will of the last owner of Stenhammar authorizes the state to lease it for life to any prince belonging to the Royal House who has succession rights to the throne. A Duke of Södermanland, if he wishes to lease the property, takes priority over the other candidates.
Efter min hustrus död skola samtliga hemman och hemmansdelar med tillhörande byggnader av staten varje gång på livstid utarrenderas på efterskrivna villkor åt någon svensk undersåte varande prins av det regerande konungahuset, vilken har eventuell arvsrätt till tronen.

Finnes vid något utarrenderingstillfälle någon svensk undersåte varande, eventuell arvsrätt till tronen ägande, prins av det regerande konungahuset, som är hertig av Södermanland, så äger han företrädesrätt till arrendet, om han eller hans målsman så önskar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I believe the Court is following a literal reading of the Act of Succession, which says that "princes and princesses of the Royal House are brought up [...] within the Realm". Since Madeleine's children are no longer "princes and princesses of the Royal House", the literal interpretation is that the aforementioned requirement no longer applies to them.

[...]
If the Court is consistent in following a literal reading of "prince of the Royal House", Prince Alexander's ability to lease Stenhammar is in jeopardy, unless it can be contended that "konungahuset" is distinct from "kungahuset". I wonder if they have taken that into account.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

For the record the castle is not the king's to bestow on anyone. The castle was donated to the State, when the previous owner died. The king simply leases the land from the state. Carl Philip or his son would have to request the lease from the state, when the king dies or gives up his lease on the property.

The castle will not remain in CP's line. It may be leased by him and his son, time will tell. But its ownership remains with the court.

Alexander's title dies with him. Swedish duchies are not inheritable. There may not be another Duke of Sodermanland for generations. That is why the will does not stipulate it can Only be leased by the duke of that title.

Alexander's children will simply be Mr or Miss Bernadotte. They will have no titles and no rights under the current stipulation. It could be argued the court could change that but not its not likely unless there are no possible heirs. It would be more likely court would change it to allow a Princess to lease instead.

We have no idea if Alexander will want it anyways. He will be a private citizen growing up. He may not want to be tied down to the home.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

As Mbruno pointed out, though, by all appearances the Court no longer considers Prince Alexander to be a "prince of the royal house". Since the testament stipulates that the lease should be conferred on a prince of the royal house, does Alexander still retain the right to take over the lease?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If the Court is consistent in following a literal reading of "prince of the Royal House", Prince Alexander's ability to lease Stenhammar is in jeopardy, unless it can be contended that "konungahuset" is distinct from "kungahuset". I wonder if they have taken that into account.
The wording of the will is a bit strange.
"Efter min hustrus död skola samtliga hemman och hemmansdelar med tillhörande byggnader av staten varje gång på livstid utarrenderas på efterskrivna villkor åt någon svensk undersåte varande prins av det regerande konungahuset, vilken har eventuell arvsrätt till tronen."

"After the death of my wife all parts of the estate and the buildings buildings belonging to it should be leased for life on the terms stated to a Swedish citizen who is a Prince of the ruling Royal House who has an eventual/possible/potential right of inheritance to the throne"

I've included all three translations of "eventuell" that I could think of. I wonder if there's an old meaning of it that I'm not familiar with. The word seems to imply that the holder of the lease doesn't have to hold inheritance rights to the throne. Prince Alexander does retain said rights but maybe this could open up for a different interpretation of the stipulations of the will?

"Finnes vid något utarrenderingstillfälle någon svensk undersåte varande, eventuell arvsrätt till tronen ägande, prins av det regerande konungahuset, som är hertig av Södermanland, så äger han företrädesrätt till arrendet, om han eller hans målsman så önskar."

"If at the time of the lease there is a prince of the ruling Royal House with an eventual/possible/potential right of inheritance to the throne who is Duke of Södermanland he holds the right of priority to the lease if he or his guardian so wishes."

This means, according to my interpretation, that Prince Carl Philip could have still been perfectly within his rights to hold the lease if Prince Alexander was either underaged or if he had decided to relinquish his right to his father.

"Konungahuset" is just an older and more formal version of "Kungahuset". It means the same and the form Konungen and Konungahuset is still used in very formal settings as for instance in the constitution and the military exclamation "Gud bevare Konungen!" (God save the King!)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Commoner

In light of the changes to the Swedish Monarchy on October 7, 2019, this has become an interesting situation to me. I asked about this on the "titles" page and I got the feeling that Alexander had lost the right to use Stenhammer Castle if he wanted to. Which would be a moot point if he didn't want to. But upon reading this I see many different possibilities. He is still technically in the line of succession and he, of course, is the Duke of Sodermanland. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Or really if it even matters. I don't know that he will be desperate for a home to live in. His father has inherited several properties in his own right. Just a curious situation.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

A rare photo from Stenhammar Castle, the king and queen yesterday at a video meeting with Victoria and Daniel and the court staff.
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/200...ovstaterna.jpg
Old 03-25-2020, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you to JR76 for the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The wording of the will is a bit strange.
"Efter min hustrus död skola samtliga hemman och hemmansdelar med tillhörande byggnader av staten varje gång på livstid utarrenderas på efterskrivna villkor åt någon svensk undersåte varande prins av det regerande konungahuset, vilken har eventuell arvsrätt till tronen."

"After the death of my wife all parts of the estate and the buildings buildings belonging to it should be leased for life on the terms stated to a Swedish citizen who is a Prince of the ruling Royal House who has an eventual/possible/potential right of inheritance to the throne"

I've included all three translations of "eventuell" that I could think of. I wonder if there's an old meaning of it that I'm not familiar with. The word seems to imply that the holder of the lease doesn't have to hold inheritance rights to the throne. Prince Alexander does retain said rights but maybe this could open up for a different interpretation of the stipulations of the will?
Please correct me if the following interpretation is not valid under the Swedish wording, but I assumed it implied that the prince must be qualified as a potential king but is not required to concretely succeed to the throne. (I have seen comparable wording used in other languages.) For instance, Prince Wilhelm, Duke of Södermanland had a potential right of succession but, given that he was a second son and his older brother produced sons, there was no expectation that the potential right would ever be realized. Put another way: He did not have the right to inherit the throne while his brother was living, but he would potentially have the right if his brother and his brother's male heirs passed away.

As you said, the difficulty for Prince Alexander would be finding grounds to declare him a "prince of the ruling royal house" when he is not a member of the Royal House. An argument could be put forward that he is a prince and he is descended from the Royal House, but applying that argument would hypothetically allow Prince Nikolai of Denmark to lease Stenhammar, as he is a prince and a descendant of Princess Ingrid of Sweden, so it was surely not what was meant by Mr. von Kraemer. I would be very interested to know if the King's attorney has drawn up plans to deal with this difficulty.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Photo at court Instagram today, the king gives a speech from Stenhammar Castle in the evening at SVT1 and SVT play.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-lyVUug0Z5/

A screenshot of Stenhammar Castle from the video of the king's speech
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

The king spoke at the library, here is a photo of the king at the library of Stenhammar Castle, from the book ”I den kungliga kulissen: En hovreporters betraktelser”.

Prins Wilhelm at the library
Old 04-10-2020, 03:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
A screenshot of Stenhammar Castle from the video of the king's speech

The king spoke at the library, here is a photo of the king at the library of Stenhammar Castle, from the book ”I den kungliga kulissen: En hovreporters betraktelser”.

Prins Wilhelm at the library

It is nice to see lesser-known royal residences in good use.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

The king and queen at the library of Stenhammar Castle at queen Margrethe's congratulations video.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Photos of Stenhammar Castle, taken yesterday when the king and queen met photographers.
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a9&oe=5ED17752
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4c&oe=5ECF12B7
https://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...22b&m=fhnapbgn
https://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...22b&m=ibdkniec
https://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...22b&m=ckbcbakm
https://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:...22b&m=fhmjldai

The king at Stenhammar at a video meeting on Monday
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7f&oe=5ECE3538
Old 05-02-2020, 07:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Photos of Stenhammar Castle, taken by Holger Ellgaard on 6th April.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...april_2020.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pril_2020a.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pril_2020b.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pril_2020h.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pril_2020c.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pril_2020d.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pril_2020e.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...pril_2020f.jpg

Air photos taken in 2013 by Erik Jacobsson
https://images.staticjw.com/sor/1484/dsc-0034r.jpg
https://images.staticjw.com/sor/3059/dsc-0032r.jpg

The website of Stenhammars Godsförvaltning (The Stenhammar Estate Management) has been updated a little
Stenhammar is located in the heart of Södermanland, just outside Flen, a stone's throw from the railroad between Stockholm and Katrineholm.
Following a donation, the Swedish state became the owner of the property. It has been leased since 1965 by HM King Carl XVI Gustaf. Read more in the historical overview.
Today, modern farming and forestry is conducted on the property. Like many large goods, there is also a large building stock (about 150 buildings) that requires extensive maintenance.
The property covers a total of 2200 hectares of land. Of this, 1400 hectares are productive forest land, 450 hectares of land and pasture. The remaining area is impediment and other land. Impediment is called forest land with low production capacity, such as bare cliffs, mosses and wetlands.
Stenhammars Godsförvaltning — ett modernt jord- och skogsbruk i hjärtat av Södermanland
Old 05-04-2020, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If the queen or king on the throne at the time Alexander dies wishes for their daughter or granddaughter to take over Stenhammar, would the members of the National Property Board truly decide in the 22nd century on the interpretation that the estate is eligible to be leased to men only?
I am not sure I understand this comment; as the ducal titles in Sweden are not hereditary; so, Alexander's son won't be duke of Södermanland and therefore, will not have a claim to the castle, if I am not mistaken. I see little reason for the royal family to not have to caste revert back to the main line.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I am not sure I understand this comment; as the ducal titles in Sweden are not hereditary; so, Alexander's son won't be duke of Södermanland and therefore, will not have a claim to the castle, if I am not mistaken. I see little reason for the royal family to not have to caste revert back to the main line.
My comment quoted in your post was about a daughter or granddaughter, so for instance: Supposing, after Prince Carl Philip's death (or possibly Prince Alexander's death, if an interpretation of the testament can still be found that would make him eligible to claim the estate), Queen Estelle would like her daughter (not her son) to lease Stenhammar estate. Would the National Property Board truly insist that no, only a man is eligible to lease it?

Tags
castles, residences, sweden, swedish royal history