The Princess of Orange, Princesses Alexia and Ariane, News Part 1 (May 2013-Jan 2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Princess is also pretty young for the Gymnasium. In the Netherlands most youngsters leave primary school at the age of 12 or 13 (when there has been a doublure). I hope all will go well for the Princess. The change from a primary school to a gymnasium, with a curriculum which has Dutch language, Latin, classic Greek, mathematics and classic cultural formation as obliged courses will be hefty. Phew!

At the other side it will be fun too. With trips to Rome, with reading Greek classic stories, with acting in a mediaeval Dutch stage play, etc. It will for sure bring a well-developed and broad-minded cultural bagage to the future Queen. She can walk through the palaces, full of artworks and understand the meaning of allegories and references to classicism. When she is in the Royal Palace in Amsterdam and sees the flight and the fall of Icarus on a marble relief, she will understand what it is about. When she rides in the Golden State Coach and sees sculptures of Graces holding the royal crown on the rooftop, she will understand the meaning. It is a great education.

Last edited:
So would you not say it is kind of Cheating? If they have to do an art or history presentation the other kids can google, all she has to do is go home or just ride over to the palace , so to speak. She can talk to Royal archivists and preservers if she wants.

It's not cheating becasue she is doing the finding of info.

For example, my parents us took us on camping trips to National Parks, Forests, Monuments, etc. from which I learned an absurd amount about natural history, biology, astronomy, ecology, history, etc. I was lucky that my life exposed me to these activities and that the experiences contributed to my general knowledge. I did not cheat - I gained info from experiences my classmates did not have. I did better in classes and on college entrance exams because I was lucky and I bothered to learn where/when i could.

I also knew religious and other scholars as a child. I learned great amounts though discourse with them. It was luck, not cheating.

Well, in general most children on the Sorghvliet Gymnasium are a bit privileged. Of course there are exceptions but there are only a few real independent Gymnasiums left (most have merged into mammoth institutions which offer a spectrum of various school types and levels). With the risk of generalizing: such smaller independent gymnasiums usually can be characterized as a "white school" with a "typical" sort of people, used to culture, international travel and certain social groups. Amalia will not be the only one there from a wealthy family, so to say.

Even when Royal children go to 'regular' schools the schools they are sent to are in Extremely fluent areas with the offspring of socially promenant and wealthy people and get the best educations available

From PR perspective it sounds good to say Prince so and so is mixing with Normal kids ...even if not so much.

Wow that Gymnasium offers such an high education and amazing experiences. I never had the privileged of going to such a school, what I know now (about art, history, geography, geology and biology) is thanks to my hard work (I'm an archaeologist). It is not easy to learn and study that stuff at university from scratch, but Amalia is lucky that her school provides various experiences that will make one learn more. If I had those oportunities, I would not have suffered like I did when I was on university.

I think most state schools royal children attend are often similar to Sorghvliet in that they are in wealthy areas and have a high standard of education. I remember reading that Prince Christian and Princess Isabella's school in Copenhagen is like that. Nancy Cameron (albeit not a royal child), the daughter of British Prime Minister David Cameron, also goes to a similar state school in London. There was some criticism about it because it's a very affluent school which is also quite hard to get into, so most of Nancy's classmates are from the same social class as her. In Britain the children of politicians have to attend state schools in the aim to try and give them a better reputation.

On itself there are no special limits or guidelines other than that every Dutch citizen enjoys the right on an undisturbed private life-sphere. The Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (State Information Service) has made an appeal to the media - which was shared with the public - to grant Princess Amalia an undisturbed private life in her youth "because the future life of the Princess will for an important part be characterized by public duties".

Thanks for answering my question, I had thought that would be the case but just wanted to double check.

It's not cheating becasue she is doing the finding of info.

For example, my parents us took us on camping trips to National Parks, Forests, Monuments, etc. from which I learned an absurd amount about natural history, biology, astronomy, ecology, history, etc. I was lucky that my life exposed me to these activities and that the experiences contributed to my general knowledge. I did not cheat - I gained info from experiences my classmates did not have. I did better in classes and on college entrance exams because I was lucky and I bothered to learn where/when i could.

I also knew religious and other scholars as a child. I learned great amounts though discourse with them. It was luck, not cheating.

I agree. I was also very lucky to have parents who took us to many different place during our school years. At that time living in PA the Civil War, etc. was all around us so aced all history exams. Traveling to museums in other states was also a big thing. It wasn't cheating, it was just a young brain absorbing a lot of good data while enjoying family life.

Absorbing information is different from probably being able to run down and ask someone directly like an archivist or historian who can give you the direct answer to what Lord or King so and so did to benefit the country ;)

So would you not say it is kind of Cheating? If they have to do an art or history presentation the other kids can google, all she has to do is go home or just ride over to the palace , so to speak. She can talk to Royal archivists and preservers if she wants.

Wouldn't it be inexcusable if she has all that access to information and doesn't take advantage? People know of these advantages, and for that, I think, they will expect even more from her and hold her to higher standards. The good news is, she seems to be a bright girl and will rise up to the challenge. If she is proud for all the right reasons, she will even expect people to expect more of her.

During her visit to Laren Maxima told the press of Amalia's school experience so far.

Maxima says that Amalia has enjoyed her first week of school, saying that she has had "nice and busy days". Amalia is on a camp with her classmates where she will be taking part in a number of activities, an orchestra and a play.

"You know, it's the first week. So it's all exciting" Maxima also said, adding that Amalia was introduced to her classmates on her first day. The school and the building were explained to her during the introduction.

http://royalblog.nl/

(I hope the translation is okay, I know Google Translate isn't the best at times!)

During her visit to Laren Maxima told the press of Amalia's school experience so far.

Maxima says that Amalia has enjoyed her first week of school, saying that she has had "nice and busy days". Amalia is on a camp with her classmates where she will be taking part in a number of activities, an orchestra and a play.

"You know, it's the first week. So it's all exciting" Maxima also said, adding that Amalia was introduced to her classmates on her first day. The school and the building were explained to her during the introduction.

http://royalblog.nl/

(I hope the translation is okay, I know Google Translate isn't the best at times!)

I'm glad that Amalia is enjoying school, at least according to her Mom. Middle/high school is not easy, especially socially, so it's important that Amalia feels comfortable, and not too much fuss is made about who she is.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Nice article which partly mentioned the "event" (the Princess of Orange leaving for her first day at the Gymnasium).

My translation of the relevant part:

[...]

There is something strange about the film that appeared on the Facebook page of the Royal House, last Monday. You see Princess Catharina-Amalia, who left, seated on a bike, to her first day at the gymnasium. It is not the sound of the candy pink bicycle crate clattering against the frame of the solid, black omafiets (granny bike). It is not her saddle that is a bit too low. And it is not the staged "spontaneous" bicycling-around-the-corner of the Princess.

The strange thing about this movie is that no one is saying anything. No "Have fun, sweetie!", no "Be careful on the bike!", no "Go for it, girl!" or "When they start talking about Lucky TV, show a polite smile and keep your mouth shut!". Princess Amalia also says nothing, she waves for a moment and then quickly moving her hands back on the steer. No 'Byeee!', nothing. No one does that: waving to each other without a sound. It is a little scary even. Thus the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (State Information Agency) achieved the opposite of what was intended: to show that the Oranges are a normal family, normally waving to their daughter when she goes to school, seated on her normal bike.

All this does not mean that the short fragment (10 seconds) had not something heartwarming. That is caused by the clumsiness of the image (Willem-Alexander has clearly never learned that vertically shooting is a capital crime within the YouTube generation), but especially in the idea that our King is standing there, waving, in his bathrobe, with his hair tousled, as he looks through the screen to his daughter who cycles to school for the first time. And then after that, still silent, swallowing the lump in his throat.

Last edited:
^^^^^
column today in the same newspaper "De Volkskrant" (traditionally not a very royalist newspaper):
although the video was published as "filmed by her dad, King W-A", we don't actually know that that's true...there's no sound in the video, no-one shouting "Have a nice day" or something like that; so was the video actually what it pretended to be, or was it a publicity-bit and completely staged for the camera (was it actually shot on her first schoolday, or was it a rehearsed bit on sunday)

personally I don't really care, I thought it was a fun video and we don't get to see too many photos and stuff from the princesses anyway, but obviously the columnist does have a point :flowers:

I agree with you, that this video was planned for publicity, so it's no wonder that it looks slightly un-natural. It was staged, even if the King filmed it himself. But that's ok with me, because that way the public can get a glimpse of their Princess without invading her privacy.

Isn't every Facebook or Intagram post, every selfie, staged anyway? People posting things on social media usually think about what they post, how they frame it and what the outlook is they want to post, to communicate.

Accortding to Marc van der Linden, Amalia's horse is named Safary, Alexia's horse in named Pixie while the pony of Ariane is called Fredje.

When the horses get old, they are 'retired' to palace Het Loo, where they can enjoy the meadows for the remainder of their lives.

Paardenmeisjes - Royalty Online

The photo was made in september at Het Loo in Apeldoorn. It was noted in the press that the princesses did not wear a cap.

Last edited:
I'm glad that Amalia is enjoying school, at least according to her Mom. Middle/high school is not easy, especially socially, so it's important that Amalia feels comfortable, and not too much fuss is made about who she is.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I hope for that Amalia's sake this is so - kids, especially girls, can be so absolutely hateful at during their pre-teen and teenage years (and some young ladies never grow out of it........)

:previous:

I didn't know there was a 'princess of Orange concert' held at the Counsil of State each year on CA's birthday.

The article describes the princess as cheerful and happy None of her new school collegues have twittered/instagrammed about her yet, though Queen Maxima says they do discuss the risks of social media at home.

Apparently a royal securitywoman 'forgot' her gun at the Sorghvliet gymnasium. This happened while she went to the restroom, she left the gun there but was immidiately notified by students.

The royal secutiry service speaks of a 'human error'. They also add that the woman was embarrassed by the situation.

Agente laat pistool op school prinses Amalia liggen | metronieuws.nl

Last edited:
Apparently a royal securitywoman 'forgot' her gun at the Sorghvliet gymnasium. This happened while she went to the restroom, she left the gun there but was immidiately notified by students.

The royal secutiry service speaks of a 'human error'. They also add that the woman was embarrassed by the situation.

Agente laat pistool op school prinses Amalia liggen | metronieuws.nl

thanks
what an error I would say.
This happened two months ago and now it comes to press?

I hope she has been given the talk that sad but true not everyone who is nice to her and befriends her is genuine .

Because the safety of everyone involved has not been in danger and the incident was resolved almost immediately and based on that the school had initially decided not to share this outside school (so not with parents or media).
Bewaakster vergeet pistool in toilet school Amalia | NOS

translated

so why notified them now? was it leaked to the press.
I hope the bodyguard learned a valuable lesson. there is no reason to take off the gun. It only take a split second and a curious child for something awful to have happened :sad:

The girls were not horsedriving at that moment, they were clearly posing for a nice picture.
:flowers:
Horse driving. :ROFLMAO:

No matter if this was just for a nice picture, this is a PR error. I've been riding my whole life and the first thing you learn is that you have to wear a helmet at all times because horses are flight animals and you never know what happens.

Also, the Netherlands has a huge amount of people who ride horses as a hobby and for professional reasons and are very much aware of the importance of a helmet. This does not go unnoticed.

These girls are young but all three of them, just like their parents, have to set an example. Wearing a riding helmet is hardly an effort.

If I'm actually going to nitpick here, I'd tell them to wear their in a ponytail or a knot. Loose hair is considered dangerous and not neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom