Discussion about Mette-Marit's past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carlota said:
i dont really agree in what you have said about denying a "whole human being", marius. i don t judge mm for having marius, or for the fact that she was a single mum when she married the crown prince. in fact, i think that's the loveliest part of mm, that one i like most of her. what i meant with that past was all the other things (the drug scene she was involved with and that tv show she went to, for example) but not marius.
about todays attire, i think it was quite good. i like seeing mm with that kind of hairdo's better than pony tails or just the hair with nothing on it. it seemed to be much more 'tidier' today. what i really didnt like were the brown shoes combined with the blue jacket.
ingrid was really cute today....
So what you are saying is that you only deny parts of her past but not all? Neat trick. I am going to deny that the last week of my life happened but accept the week before that ...

Here is what you said previously about Mette-Marit's past posted in this very thread on 10-19-2004, 03:30 PM

don t think that's a logical explanation for that. the reflection of today's society can be asociated in some point with drugs, and not because of that royals are supposed to follow that.
i m not saying it s bad he married a single mum, but there would surely be much more other (and better) options. as i always say, royals dont have many obligations to follow, but one of them is to marry a suitable person to represent his/her country...
just my oppinion...
Here it seems that you accepted the drugs part but resented the unwed mother part and now its the opposite?

I really agree with everything you have said Regina. I think the part about Mette-Marit having done many things wrong but only with her own body is most important. She didn't hurt anybody else through her past actions or wild life; everything that is considered "torrid" by some about her past are things she inflicted upon herself. I think we should admire her for taking such a courageous step as to take responsibility for having a child out of wedlock and working hard at a variety of jobs in order to support them both. She very well could've had an abortion but chose not to. And how come no one cares that Mary Donaldson lived with another man for 7 years. It's okay to live with someone but not to either partake in drugs or the underground party scene or to have a child wedlock? Living is okay, partying is not?

Here I see that some people are beating up on someone who has a past and has atoned for it and has made dramatic changes in her life and we can't give the woman credit for this? Instead we keep drudging up her past and throwing it in her face and saying that she'll never be good enough. She isn't good enough as a Crown Princess, she won't be good enough as a Queen. But obviously Haakon thought that she was "good enough" to be his wife and to be worthy of his love and to share his life with -- and if you don't think that Haakon has a good head on his shoulders enough to know who is good enough for him and for the future of Norway, then he obviously isn't "good enough" either.

Carlota, Mette-Marit is a suitable person to be Queen of Norway. When I knew that the future wife of Haakon was a single mother I was surprised because that is not a ordinary thing in the royalty world. And when I knew that she had consume drugs, I was even more surprised. But then I heard her saying that she was sorry for her past and I thought "She's honest! She seems so sweet".

I agree with Genevieve and I'm glad for your message. I think that many persons hear have a lot of jealousy of MM. They think "I am so good, I never take grugs, I'm not a single mother because I take the pills every day, and how can this no-class woman becomes a future Queen and I don't??"

Mette-Marit, as Genevieve said, worked hard at a variety of jobs in order to support her and her son. This is what I call being a GOOD MOTHER.
If Mette-Marit took drugs, if she went to a "bad" tv show... it's only matter to her and God. What I know is that she is a woman who works everyday to be better, and she's who teatched us more than any other Crown Princess.

Mathild toutched me for her kindness and for her class.
Máxima is very self-confident and seems very, very nice.
Letizia brought a new fresh air to the Spanish Royal Family.
But Mette-Marit said No to abortions, Mette-Marit said Yes to the life of Marius, and just for that I admire her very much.

In my religion (Roman Catholic) we support strong persons, persons who fight against the world to do what is Right.
I pray for Mette-Marit and I'm sure that Norway is very proud of her.

Regina said:
.... many persons hear have a lot of jealousy of MM. They think "I am so good, I never take grugs, I'm not a single mother because I take the pills every day, and how can this no-class woman becomes a future Queen and I don't??"
Too bad all the aggravation is taken out on MM, when the "real culprit" is Haakon.

Regina said:
In my religion (Roman Catholic) we support strong persons, persons who fight against the world to do what is Right.
I pray for Mette-Marit and I'm sure that Norway is very proud of her.
I don't agree at all with this affirmation: I'm myself a Roman Catholic, and I was leanred that we supported ALL the persons, and that Jesus said he wasn't come for healthy people but for weak people. Your conception is very elitist, all the contrary of what's really catholicism. If Mette-Marit failed and revealed herself as weak, I would continue to support her.

Of course, Danielane, if Mette-marit failed we support her in the same, but what makes the distinction between a Strong and the weak person is not the number of times that someone fail. A Strong person is someone who no matter how many times failed, try everyday to do the best for the Others.
That's why I think Mette-Marit is a great example for all of us.

Thank you Larzen for the pics, the little Princess is very pretty and cute!!!

Here is what you said previously about Mette-Marit's past posted in this very thread on 10-19-2004, 03:30 PM

Here it seems that you accepted the drugs part but resented the unwed mother part and now its the opposite?
where can you read that? i have never said i accepted the drugs part!

Genevieve said:
So what you are saying is that you only deny parts of her past but not all? Neat trick. I am going to deny that the last week of my life happened but accept the week before that ....
it's not like that. it's just that you accept some things and you don't accept others. just as simple as that. no tricks.

i don't really bother if you like mm or not. everyone has his/her own opinion, and you all know mine. what i find really annoying is that some people take their opinions so far. i find some comments may be a bit unpolite sometimes. whenever i say some of the things i dont like of mm i get something like 'banned' by the other users of the forum...

lutefisk7 said:
I am from the US and our current president had a cocaine problem in the past, has had multiple DUI's (Driving under the influence) and poor business sense in the past, so your comment isn't quite accurate. People can and do overlook the past.
Absolutely. President Bush is the first U.S. President to be elected to have a criminal record. Even Mrs. Bush has what could be considered a scandal in her past. When she was a teenager, she ran a stop sign and killed a high school classmate. She was never charged for some reason, but that is still something relevant. The fact is that people are very forgiving. It is hard to tell in the world that we live in today, but I think that what is important is that if something is brought to light that is unflattering, you must admit it. People are very willing to forgive individuals who are forthcoming, but tend to be turned off by people who lie directly or try to cover up any bad deeds. I apologize for going somewhat off topic.

Mette-Marit considered leaving Haakon

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article318125.ece

Mette-Marit considered leaving Haakon

Mette-Marit was reportedly not sure that she would be able to handle the pressure of being a crown princess and she considered to break it off with Haakon several times.

.... article five years ago stating that Mette-Marit was Crown Prince Haakon’s new girlfriend, her life was turned upside down.

She became a media personality beyond her wildest imagination and reportedly considered leaving Haakon several times because of it

«Mette-Marit was aware that her close relationship with the Crown Prince would be noticed, but she was not by any means prepared for the massive interest of her as a person,» said close friends of Mette-Marit.

Followed her heart
However, she was not unsure of her feelings towards Crown Prince Haakon.

«Mette-Marit did not doubt her feelings for Haakon, but she was unsure if she would be able to handle the massive change of being an unknown single mother to becoming a member of the royal family and a public figure. She was also very worried how a life in the lime light would affect her son Marius,» stated her friends.

The Crown Princess decided to follow her heart and she is very thankful she made that decision.

«I’m glad I chose love,» said Mette-Marit

«Haakon was amazing»
During the difficult time when the press wrote about Mette-Marit’s excessive partying and connection to the house scene in Kristiansand, she had lots of support.

«Haakon was a constant support for Mette-Marit during this period. He was just amazing,» said friends of the couple

Mette-Marit also said that her friends have been a great support. They asked her to follow her heart and ignore what people said.

Bravo to Haakon for his support of Mette-Marit. He knew he had something special and believed in her. Bravo.

Glad she followed her heart,They make a beautiful couple.They always seem to be happy when theyre together.

Dennism said:
Bravo to Haakon for his support of Mette-Marit. He knew he had something special and believed in her. Bravo.
I don't follow these two very closely, but I always get a good vibe from her and them as a couple. She's perhaps not the most elegant of women (although she is I believe a natural beauty), nor is she necessarily the most compelling, but she comes off as a genuine and honest person who doesn't try to be anything other than what she is. She appears to have no false airs about her, and given her circumstances, that is impressive--and, if I may contradict myself, compelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeadonite
Do you wonder why M-M had such a colorful past? With a father like that how would you know right from wrong. I am suprised that the royal family went along with the marriage of M-M and Haakon, there is just so much baggage.

Does someone know if there was any resistance from the royal family?

I'd think not. Both Harald and Sonja have been extremely accepting of their children's boyfriends/girlfriends over the years, and especially Sonja has done what she could to welcome Mette-Marit properly into the family. But who knows what goes on behind the closed doors?

I have not really focused on MM because I do not find particularly significant. but I see that her situation does draw a lot of people and kind of divides the opinion. Is it the same in Norway?

There were discussions and a lot of polls among the public in the beginning of their relationship, but after the engagement and certainly after the wedding there hasn't really been that much a discussion on her background (in fact more about her father!). I think people have accepted that she has a past and sees that people can change for the better. So I think people now "judge" her by her actions that she does as CP. In my opinion, she is doing a great job (so far anyway) :)

KikkiB said:
In my opinion, she is doing a great job (so far anyway) :)
Hear hear! :) It was wonderful seeing her in the annual Christmas programme with the Royal Family (they showed it three times on Swedish tv, two re-runs!), I really felt that she has grown into her role so much more just this past year or so after she had her 2nd child and I guess she's now also becoming "warm in the clothes". I feel that Mette-Marit has a lot more to give and will one day be a wonderful Queen, the more experience and security she will find in her role and private life - the more comfortable she will feel and by that will continue to do a fantastic job for Norway and the world! (halleluja almost :D)

by marrying mette-marit crown prince harald had disgrace his whole royal incestors i dont have problem that she's a commoner.The problem is her status as a unwed mother a woman who links in a society which one will describe as ''vulgar'' .i think norway should abolish the monarchy because the country royal family are to scandalous with martha louise controversial author husband with the king excuse on his wild family and the fact that there are trying to exclude the tradition of royalty

Royal historian.
It was Crown prince Hakon Magnus who married Mette Marit and not his father King Harald.
If you were a royal historian you would know that european royalty are just as human as everybody else. Royal history probably counts more kids born out of wedlock, then kids born within a marriage and I can asure you that if you want to read about scandalous lifestyles the royal families can satisfy anyone.

I think CP Mette-Marit is doing a great job. It's been seven years since they married. She has prooved long time ago she's capable of being a great CP and future Queen.

Yes she has a past, she has paid more for it within herself than I think most people will ever understand. she has been forgiven by those close to her. Why should we be so hard on her for her past?

Every person deserve respect. So so CP Mette-Marit.

you know i have wonder if the late king olav was still alive would he give consent for haakon to marry sonja .im sorry brigit hansen if i offended you by my manner of spaeken clearly it was my opinion .i have nothing personal against mette marit .my great concern is the norwegian monarchy will it survive all these dread and controversial

I am a huge fan of princess Mette-Marit because I think she has done very well in the last years. I like her BECAUSE she is a former single mother with a "past". Her faults make her unique. She is different from all the dream princesses that are around currently because she seems so much down to earth, so perfectly imperfect :) I admire her and hope that she will have a beautiful life with Haakon and the children. Hopefully she will be a beautiful and perfect Queen one day. I do not think at all that she is a disgrace for the Norwegian royal family.

I think Princess mette marit is and has been doing a brilliant job !

You are right and it made me angry to think that even the King was insulting her on her wedding day.

The grapes might have been a bit sour for King Harald who had received a taste of his own medicine.

you know i have wonder if the late king olav was still alive would he give consent for haakon to marry sonja .im sorry brigit hansen if i offended you by my manner of spaeken clearly it was my opinion .i have nothing personal against mette marit .my great concern is the norwegian monarchy will it survive all these dread and controversial

I don't think that King Olav would give Haakon permission to marry his mother...... :rolleyes:

As for giving Haakon permission to marry Mette Marit, in the end even King Olav would have to give in if Haakon really went for her and deployed the kind of hydraulic despotism tactics as his father Harald used to obtain permission to marry Sonja - and Haakon did - to avoid a constitutional crisis.

Furthermore, it requires an extreme set of circumstances, of which the monarchy must receive the blame, to abolish a monarchy, like long-time economic hardship or a lost war. Norway, as a peaceful, democratic, prosperous, stable constitutional monarchy with an extensive welfare state as well as one of the strongest economies of the world, is light years away from such circumstances.

;) I think people should not directly judge Crown Princess Mette-Marit with her royal life now based from her past :blush:

Of course!

Past is the past.

Now, is the present.

MM's doing a great job, now.

That is what's the important thing.

How has she risen above her past foibles and mistakes?
In my estimation, very well!

Last edited:
I don't think that King Olav would give Haakon permission to marry his mother...... :rolleyes:

As for giving Haakon permission to marry Mette Marit, in the end even King Olav would have to give in if Haakon really went for her and deployed the kind of hydraulic despotism tactics as his father Harald used to obtain permission to marry Sonja - and Haakon did - to avoid a constitutional crisis.

Furthermore, it requires an extreme set of circumstances, of which the monarchy must receive the blame, to abolish a monarchy, like long-time economic hardship or a lost war. Norway, as a peaceful, democratic, prosperous, stable constitutional monarchy with an extensive welfare state as well as one of the strongest economies of the world, is light years away from such circumstances.
again ,yeah of course i have no problem shes a commoner BUT again there are some stories that simply too much to bear and i believe the royal family should be model family to the norwegian people they should portray themselves as a grand upper class family not too folksky and the king should have preserved his son in the coming weeks before the wedding almost everyarticle in newspaper had a gossip about mette-marit and i also believe that both astrid and ragnhild were not so agreed with the unorganized mette marit but since shes the future queen and have not made mistake let us hope that one day all norwegian reconcile themselves with her .did haakon made clear to his dad he was willing to spend is life out unmarried if he wasnt allowed to marry her ?

Mette-Marit has changed her life and there is nothing wrong with her present.
The past is the past

again ,yeah of course i have no problem shes a commoner BUT again there are some stories that simply too much to bear and i believe the royal family should be model family to the norwegian people they should portray themselves as a grand upper class family not too folksky and the king should have preserved his son in the coming weeks before the wedding almost everyarticle in newspaper had a gossip about mette-marit and i also believe that both astrid and ragnhild were not so agreed with the unorganized mette marit but since shes the future queen and have not made mistake let us hope that one day all norwegian reconcile themselves with her .did haakon made clear to his dad he was willing to spend is life out unmarried if he wasnt allowed to marry her ?

We Scandinavians belive in social equality and the term "grand upper class" is not a part our vocabulary and we don't want our royal families to be as distant to us as are the british royal families - as a matter of fact they wouln't last very long here.
The royal families are human beeings like you and me and they show the same weaknesses as we do, they make mistakes like we do and that is the way it is and the way it has been all along.

You write that the newspapers were "filled with gossip" abbout Mette Marit in the days leading up to the wedding.You are right they had a lot of gossip and gossip are a way to sell newspapers and magazines and should be taking with a grain of salt.:notworthy:

I've been thinking a lot about MM past and her new role and I must say that at first I was thinking too that she don't fit into this role and so on. But for now I've understand that she's just people, role of monarchy has been changing and MM will handle very well in her new life. Ofcourse she can't change things that she have done but it's important what she is doing now and how good she is as mother and CP and in the future the Queen too.

Back
Top Bottom