Christening of Sverre Magnus - March 4, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you pople live in the past??!!! Black has no symbolic meaning whatso ever among modern people today or young modern royals either. Don’t think of black as sorrow or death, but just think of it as a colour like any other colour. This baptism was a low key private ceremony that just happened to be followed on TV. It was not a show for you, but just a look inside a private occasion and that is why all the women and men mostly just wore nice clothe, not exceptional clothes. The only exception was Maxima, who looked too upperclass compared to the other women. Maxima is from the most wealthy royal family of them all and she showed that. The other royal families are just poor and don’t have much more wealth than they are paid by the state. Maxima was by far the bet looking woman and Mette Marit super and appropriate also. This was not a clothes thing.

fromEU said:
Do you pople live in the past??!!! Black has no symbolic meaning whatso ever among modern people today or young modern royals either. Don’t think of black as sorrow or death, but just think of it as a colour like any other colour.

I wasn't thinking of the funeral aspect. I think black without any bright color at a daytime event looks sombre and when more than one person wears it, it can make the event look sombre.

In evening wear with sparkling jewels black has a totally different look.

That's all.

fromEU said:
Do you pople live in the past??!!! Black has no symbolic meaning whatso ever among modern people today or young modern royals either. Don’t think of black as sorrow or death, but just think of it as a colour like any other colour. This baptism was a low key private ceremony that just happened to be followed on TV. It was not a show for you, but just a look inside a private occasion and that is why all the women and men mostly just wore nice clothe, not exceptional clothes. The only exception was Maxima, who looked too upperclass compared to the other women. Maxima is from the most wealthy royal family of them all and she showed that. The other royal families are just poor and don’t have much more wealth than they are paid by the state. Maxima was by far the bet looking woman and Mette Marit super and appropriate also. This was not a clothes thing.

From EU it's interesting indeed for you make that comment about Maxima. What other things Maxima does for you to show that she comes from the richest royals? I'll be curious to know...

Thank you for the great fotos, will there be anymore?

A big thank you to all for your pictures. Purple Platinum, the picture you posted of Maxima and her godson gazing at one another is my favorite.:)

Mary at Sverre Magnus Christening

This is why I prefer Mary to all other princesses. She is just so appropriately dressed in her gray suit. Maxima and Mette Marit look like they are going to a funeral dressed in brown and black.

photo link: http://royals.web-log.nl/log/5143344

Maxima and Mette Marit are very elegant and classy in their choice of outfits. Completely appropriate and very stylish.

I don't know. I don't think it is wrong to wear black at a christening. I'm not too keen on the white inside of Mette-Marit's jacket, though, as I think that it's either the wrong colour for matching with that suit in that manner, or that the top should be slightly lower cut (without being inappropriate.) because having the cut where it is right now makes it look a bit dowdy, in my opinion. But the black is okay. It might be more fun, though, if she had had dresses made in the same pale blue fabric for herself and Ingrid Alexandra - to colour coordinate.

I don't know why, but all the recent pictures of Ingrid Alexandra (when she's not dressed in pink as she was for most of her first year), I very much get the impression that she is a tomboy.

(But what was it with Märtha Louise's hat? I'm all for her experimentation, as it gives another layer to the fashion at the event, but this hat was a bit over the top and maybe a bit more eccentric than I'd like. I'm a fan of when she twists the classical stuff around a bit, but this was just strange. Maybe Maud Angelica had had a fun day making it at daycare?)

norwegianne said:
I don't know. I don't think it is wrong to wear black at a christening. I'm not too keen on the white inside of Mette-Marit's jacket, though, as I think that it's either the wrong colour for matching with that suit in that manner, or that the top should be slightly lower cut (without being inappropriate.) because having the cut where it is right now makes it look a bit dowdy, in my opinion. But the black is okay. It might be more fun, though, if she had had dresses made in the same pale blue fabric for herself and Ingrid Alexandra - to colour coordinate.

I don't know why, but all the recent pictures of Ingrid Alexandra (when she's not dressed in pink as she was for most of her first year), I very much get the impression that she is a tomboy.

(But what was it with Märtha Louise's hat? I'm all for her experimentation, as it gives another layer to the fashion at the event, but this hat was a bit over the top and maybe a bit more eccentric than I'd like. I'm a fan of when she twists the classical stuff around a bit, but this was just strange. Maybe Maud Angelica had had a fun day making it at daycare?)
The hat is actually the same one she wore to Willem-Alexander and Maxima's wedding.

Märtha Louise's hat made me remember Willy Wonka from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Movie:D :D :D

I loved Märtha Louise's outfit-she is gorgeous. And as for MM, I think she knows how well she looks b/c of the sharp contrast between her hair and black...Beautiful! :)

norwegianne said:

I have to agree- Little Ingrid looked sort of bland- it was a sweet dress she had on but not her colors and her hair looked dowdy too. She does appear to be a tomboy which is cute.Yes Black is not too bad at christenings if it was topped with a brighter top or the skirt was not just ALL black- maybe a patterned black skirt or had lace or ribbon through it- she just looked the same as she did at Christian's christening and that ribbon in her hair - is too young for her- sorry..the thing is she has a great figure and height and needs to show it off more. She could wear any color and look wonderful .

norwegianne said:

I suppose it was left over from carnival.

Queen Sonja has changed her shoes for lunch! But the new ones, though very
elegant, don´t look more comfortable anyway...

No crownprincesses

I didn´t say "Crownprincesses" wear "trashy" outfits! May be this is not the correct word anyway, but there have been some very bad examples from the Queen of England in the past (though she´s one of my favourite royals; and she has improved luckily in the past few years!), the Queens Margrethe and Beatrix and even Queen Silvia, if you look at some photos from the 80s.

There are sometimes even today examples (Denmark, Netherlands) when I personally think "My goodness, how could she...?" But there are certainly
often very positive suits to watch as well!

But just imagine Mette-Marit in a dress that Princess Máxima wore some months ago fot her husband´s cousins wedding (glowing fuchsia red with a giant hat with the same colour)! This would be a major shock and would´t suit her at all. For the dutch princess this might have been O.K. - but for the crownprincess of Norway...?
I think she uses to dress suits and underlines very much and appropriately her personality, which is calm, serene and dignified. It´s a sort of "understatement way" of dressing, which IMO fits any royal lady.

Non-trashy crownprincesses

Princess BellyFlop said:
I have not seen any of the Crown Princesses wear trashy outfits:confused: . Would you care to be more specific?

My answer to your remark went (by my mistake. Sorry!) to thread numer 12!

crossed legs

adelaide said:
You can see on the pic where Mary is sitting that she has a very bad way to do it crossing her legs ( I observed yet for Christian's christening ) It's not elegant at all for a woman to cross her legs when she wear skirt; it's not very distinguished even more for an oficial act. Have a look none of the women of the first row did it . I remenber my mother told me that in the past :rolleyes: ....Pay attention Mary, you are now a princess and you aren't in riding coat....;)

Are you serious?! I know lots of photos of Queens or Princesses (born royal or not) crossing their legs. There is even one from the Queen of Britain, when a princess. And who could "behave" more royal?!:)

I think it is quite safe to say that members of the royal families who were present are not by definition poor!! And Maxima didn't look too upperclass at all, she was one of the most elegant ladies present!!

i think adelaide is right. it's not protocolar to cross legs in an official act, but that's quite unusual since many people would think that's the better and nicest ways of a lady placing her legs (as, again, it looks more lady like than just having them together). however, protocol says legs should be like that when not wearing skirt and slightly turned to one side when the lady is wearing skirt.

here is the "book" i use to culturize myself in protocol: it's in spanish though. for those speaking spanish, you may find the detail of the crossed legs in the 6th paragraph.
http://www.protocolo.org/gest_web/proto_Seccion.pl?rfID=216&arefid=1782

grevinnan said:
Maxima and Mette Marit are very elegant and classy in their choice of outfits. Completely appropriate and very stylish.

I thought MM looked frumpy, and Maxima, while absolutely stunning, somehow looked like the stylish young widow at the funeral of her much older, wealthier husband. not perhaps entirely the right look for a christening?

while I have to say I think mary looked stunning and yet appropriate and not at all scene-stealingish. the fur headpiece is just so stylish and interesting - she definitely isn't slavishly following someone else's trend.

a general view from bt.no

and several big size photos by abc.es (originally from the pool photos)

Here is the fashion verdict from VGs fashion reporter Thelma Thybø (my translation from the paper edition)​

The Winner;)
Rosario, she stole the show in a whitish coat from Valentino, the cut is superb and the ribbon in her hair is perfect with the fashiontrend right now. She exhudes dignety and eleganse. She and her husband makes a smashing couple, and it is a nice gesture to show the host one really has made an effort on the outfit

Maxima: Sophisticated. She was wearing a black suit with a beautiful collar, the pearls make the outfit sophisticated and classy, pearls and black is timeless

Mary: Sugar sweet. She had chosen a blue-greyish suit with dark fur and sparkly details. The suit looks like it is sewn for her and the cut is good, pluss for the hairpiece

Mette-Mairt:Mette-Marit was wearing a suit with white details and a headpiece with flowerdetails. Mette-Marit is in great shape after the birth but it would have been more flattering if the suit had been better tailored. She also thinks she should have chosen another color since it seem she is trying to hide in the dark colors which she does not need to

Märtha Louise. The suit is beautiful and the overall appearace very nice but the hat ruins it, its to much carnvall

Princess Astrid chose a white suit with pearls and fur. Unfortunatly the white fur puts emphasis on Astrids (non existent) waiste which is not so fortunte, the outfit takes more than it gives

Thybø is not impressed with the Prime Minister wife dress who became see-trough in the flashes from the camera so we could see her brah

She also thinks Princess Ragnhild should have removed her fur hat for the lunch.

Further she does not like that Maud Angelica is wearing nail polish, she thinks it takes away the innocense of the child when they start with make up that early.

Not fashion related. After the christening Sven O Høiby had trouble with the heart and had to be taken to the hospital for several hours. Marit Tjessems husband did not attend becuse he has just been discharged from hospital with an open vound that would not heal, he also has heart troubles

Last edited:
It is beautiful photos and all royal family is clothes beautiful. Princess Astrid is beautiful dress and smile. Countess Ruth of Rosenborg is smile and good. She is much in love royal family of Norway. Countess Ruth visit royal family Norway many years near she married count Flemming Rosenborg. She is widow after count Flemming of Rosenborg.

more pictures from facetoface

The Arrival of Guests to the Luncheon

th_67928_4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom