The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's nice that Charles is with his younger brother, no Sophie?

Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Sure, and that was a compromise position reached after negotiatons between the two sides.

What is interesting is that they simply followed the precedent set in 1998 so why there was any issue I don't understand. The Queen is the Head of the Commonwealth, Charles isn't. When Edward did this job 12 years ago the local Head of State said 'Let the Games Begin' so why would anyone expect the local Head of State to be involved this time.

In Melbourne the Queen was present, for the first day or so and she said everything (the controversy then was that the local organising committee refused to have the entire singing of God Save the Queen - so they sang the first half of the first verse and then went into Happy Birthday (it was 2006 and she was about to turn 80).

With increasingly more and more countries of the Commonwealth not having the Queen has Head of State and even one country not having been part of the British Empire, this situation will arise again.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

When's the last time we saw them together outside the UK? New Zealand in 1983? It would have been interesting to be a "fly on the wall" during the flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's nice that Charles is with his younger brother, no Sophie?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

If anyone has not yet seen it, Here is Prince Charles' speech at the opening ceremony
Old 10-05-2010, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Duchess of Cornwall impersonates Mary Poppins - Telegraph

The Duchess of Cornwall impersonated Mary Poppins to impress a group of toddlers.

The Duchess picked up her silk and lace parasol and, holding it above her head, joked that she might ''take off'' when she met British High Commission staff and their children in Delhi.

Prince Charles has someone fold his seat down for him - Telegraph

Prince Charles has been accused in the past of being too grand to squeeze his own toothpaste, pick up his own clothes or even hold his own specimen bottle.

And now it seems that folding down his own seat can be added to the list of everyday chores the Prince of Wales need never worry about.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Serene Highness

If indeed Prince Charles is so grand and needs to be waited on hand and foot how do he and Camilla who is sooo down to earth ever get along ?
I understand they visited the Maharaja of Patiala.[nice] and Chandigarh www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandigarh . This is a fascinating city. I hope the DOC availed herself of the beautifully embroidered shawls of the region.My best wishes are with them for a continued success on their trip to the Commonwealth Games.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Courtier

Does anyone know which other places In India will Charles and Camilla tour
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Prince Charles has someone fold his seat down for him - Telegraph

Prince Charles has been accused in the past of being too grand to squeeze his own toothpaste, pick up his own clothes or even hold his own specimen bottle.

And now it seems that folding down his own seat can be added to the list of everyday chores the Prince of Wales need never worry about.
I hate to spoil a good story that the Telegraph is cooking up, but this is quite normal in India, when a guest or somebody older is around.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Muriel, I agree. Actually, if people have manners, this is practiced all over the world. It does not look to me that Charles had anything to do with it; it was spontaneous.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

Daily Delight from the DM

Commonwealth Games chairman makes another gaffe after confusing Camilla with Princess Diana | Mail Online
Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness

Relatively scarce gala pics from last night :

Indienresan fortsätter för Charles och Camilla | Svensk Damtidning

http://svenskdam.se/wp-content/galle..._charles-1.jpg

http://svenskdam.se/wp-content/galle..._charles-2.jpg

http://svenskdam.se/wp-content/galle..._camilla_7.jpg
Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Leave it to the Daily Mail to make a big deal out of nothing..
Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Leave it to the Daily Mail to make a big deal out of nothing..
It's still entertaining
Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Spletnik -Prince Charles' and Duchess of Cornwall's last days of the visit to India
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 10-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Lovely pictures, looks like Rajasthan
Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Ever so much more flattering clothing on Camilla than that sack she was wearing - evidently without foundation garments - at the opening.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I so agree with you, NAP. Perhaps her designers will keep this in mind when they design her next new fashions. :)
I will have to say that I did not care for her formal dress, however. Terrible fabric, very cheap looking. Loved her aquamarines and diamond necklace... just beautiful!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Aristocracy

I thought The Prince of Wales performed the task with dignity and this enhanced his status. However, I thought that in contrast the Princess of Wales lacked the dignity and grace. Although she has come late to the royal job, she wanted this role and should be making more of an effort to take this seriously.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I thought The Prince of Wales performed the task with dignity and this enhanced his status. However, I thought that in contrast the Princess of Wales lacked the dignity and grace. Although she has come late to the royal job, she wanted this role and should be making more of an effort to take this seriously.
With all due respect can i ask how the DOC 's behaviour lacked some "grace and dignity" during this tour?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
What did Camilla do wrong? She was very pleasantful on this trip.