The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News Thread 4: September 2006-April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diana DVD

If you happen to live in the UK, there is a freed Diana DVD with today's Daily Mail.

the british newspapers start with the tributes, I hope that here happend the same thing, diana was and is very loved here.

The news story about giving money to asylum seekers is certainly not intended to be a tribute.

i have a confession to make, i wanted to post this last summer but i felt bad because im not sure if anyone else out here had time or had excess to the diana exhibit. so tooting my own horn, i saw the exhibit. princess diana had so many beautiful cloths, jewels, etc. i never thought i would ever see her wedding gown. outside of tv but there it was and it is beautiful. very 80's style but the different small details made the dress stand out even more than i remember. there was a room decated to condolence books. this room was at least 15 feet long and 8 feet wide with a large glass square box which stood in the middle of the room-it was filled with condolence books. if u were standing at the entrace of the room decated to condolence books, all along four walls were more large glass boxes, they too were fill full of condolence books. the sight was amazing.

And more:
Telegraph.co.uk

"Grants will also be given to develop alternatives to custodial sentences for young offenders, to help the growing Roma community of travellers and gypsies, and for lesbian and gay parents who have learning difficulties."

The last item seems "narrowcasting" to a high degree. :ermm:

I think its wonderful that the fund is donating great sums of money to help others.

Easy for you to say when you don't live here. Immigration is a hugely controversial topic that stirs up alot of emotions on all sides. Very unwise to give large sums of money to Roma and travellers and asylum seekers when a large majority would have those groups strung up for even attempting to enter Britain in the first place. Slippery slope.

BeatrixFan said:
Easy for you to say when you don't live here. Immigration is a hugely controversial topic that stirs up alot of emotions on all sides. Very unwise to give large sums of money to Roma and travellers and asylum seekers when a large majority would have those groups strung up for even attempting to enter Britain in the first place. Slippery slope.

If Diana had wanted her charity money donated to this cause, then I approve.

I highly dislike the demonization of immigrants that occurs in attitudes of citizens of Western democracies today.

Well, with respect, it isn't for you to approve or disapprove because the fund isn't financing anything in your country, it's financing things in the UK. Things that aren't popular. Diana interfered in controversial issues when she was alive, does a fund in her name have to carry on the tradition?

Yes she did interfere in controversial issues. But those issues needed to be heard. And also BeatrixFan there are many immigrants here in N.Y. but I don't let it get to my head.

BeatrixFan said:
Well, with respect, it isn't for you to approve or disapprove because the fund isn't financing anything in your country, it's financing things in the UK. Things that aren't popular. Diana interfered in controversial issues when she was alive, does a fund in her name have to carry on the tradition?

Your tax money isn't paying for it either. I don't like the demonization of immigrants in any country even my own. There is a wealth of righteous indignation and disgust at those who are different with an unhealthy dose of paranoia going around these days and if someone or some fund can make a difference, then I heartily approve.

Diana is dead and when she died she wasn't a member of the Royal Family anymore. Her responsibility to maintain the apolitical stance of the British Royal Family ended with her divorce.

Ahem. When did I mention tax money? The fact is that this fund is causing problems. More problems than it's worth. The Government are trying to tackle illegal campsites etc, the Diana fund are giving them money. Where's the sense in it? Nobody is demonising immigrants but if you lived here, you'd realise that it's an issue that alot of people are passionate about and simply put, there are integration problems. Again, it's for the Government to put things right not the Diana fund, the same as it was for the Government to deal with landmines, not Diana herself. This fund is making a difference but it's not a positive one. It's simply throwing money at asylum seekers. If it really wanted to help, why doesn't the Diana fund concentrate more on integration? Or is this in the true style of Diana and it's anything to create a photograph that looks good and tugs at the heartstrings?

I don't recall that Diana was particularly focussed on Travellers and gypsies when she was alive; I'm not sure that asylum seekers were such a contentious group 10 years ago as they are now, but I know Travellers have always raised people's hackles. Does anyone know what basis was used to decide where this money was going?

BeatrixFan said:
Again, it's for the Government to put things right not the Diana fund, the same as it was for the Government to deal with landmines, not Diana herself.

The government is more interested in getting itself re-elected than solving problems. In the hands of a politician, any issue becomes a campaign slogan and the saaviest of politicians know how to take up a cause of moral indignation to appeal to the lowest common loathing of the masses and they point their guns to whatever the common target of the public loathing is. If you're the popular target for politicians and the public, then your life is a bloody hell.

Mind you I don't think the British government is alone in this; other governments including my own are just as bad. But I don't think its a matter of just getting them to talk like us, act like us, think like us, so we can't tell the difference anymore.

I had always thought that Blair was the one who came up with "The People's Princess" but sadly it was just one of his advisers. I personally like to remember her as The Queen of Hearts.

sirhon11234 said:
. I personally like to remember her as The Queen of Hearts.

yeah, my too. She chosse that nickname

Diana and despair.

Yesterday night there was a TV show on the twenty events that shocked the french. The death of Diana was one of them. And an other thing really surprised me, the rate of suicide in the UK increased of 17 % in the week following her death :ohmy: ! It's madness !

Its kinda a surprise that the Daily Mail would admit that they had a hand in Diana's death.

Last edited by a moderator:
The News Biscuit is a comedy website - not a news website:. They wrote the piece about the Daily Mail admitting they did it as a satire.

NewsBiscuit: About NewsBiscuit

Here what it says on its About NewsBiscuit page:

About NewsBiscuit
NewsBiscuit was founded in September 2006 to create a new outlet for British humour on the internet. It currently has a small team of regular contributors who write for NewsBiscuit for the love of it. If you would like to submit stuff for consideration, please go to You Write The News. Other ideas such as doctored photos, video downloads and audio files may also be welcome later if we don’t fold in the first year with massive debts and various pending lawsuits. But at the moment our target is one news story per day, every day, all of which can be read in the archives under the appropriate headings.
NewsBiscuit is a loss making enterprise put together by a few comedy writers and desperately needs outside support if it is to keep going. The site currently does not make nearly enough money from advertising to pay its overheads let alone make a dent in the start up costs so all donations, small or large would be very gratefully received.

My bad, I misinterputed the article. And I usually don't do that.

lol the article was soo funny. I guess it was apprioate for Sarah and Diana to behave like that back then. But now Fergie seems very immature.

They need to either clean up that fountain immediately. Or tear down that fountain and buld a suitable memorial to The Princess of Wales.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom