Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer and Family 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:So true, he was obviously, visibly shaken. I like Sir Elton and I felt sad for him.:sad:

I certainly understood the Earl's grief and anger and raw emotion. But I felt-still feel-that the tone of the eulogy was bombastic and accusatory, not suited to the solemnity of the occasion. The worst thing about it was the possibility that it might have embarrassed his sister's grieving children and put them on the spot.

But nothing, nothing beat the awfulness of that silly dirge "Candle In The Wind". Come on! A song written for and about a loopy drug addled sex symbol movie star, adapted for the solemn Requiem for a Princess of Wales?? At Westminster Abbey?? I. Hated. It.:bang:

And I know I'm in the minority but I usually am anyway.

I have the entire Funeral Service on DVD. It was a haunting, beautiful liturgy especially the Entrance and Recessional. But the eulogy and Elton John were the definite low points for me.

The entire week of her death was hard for me, and I didn't even know Diana personally. My heart went out to the Spencer's and Windsor's. None of it was easy for them. Raw emotions all around.

I was shocked and saddened. I "grew up" with Diana and as disappointing as I sometimes found her behavior I was really rooting for her. I miss her presence in the Royal world.

What I was really put off by was the media coverage of the event and the behavior of the people in the street toward QEII. I thought it was bullying and bordering on irrational("Show us you CARE"!!!!) I found it revolting and waaay over the top.:ohmy:

Quite right. It was what he implied--that Prince Charles and the rest of the Royal Family weren't able to bring up William and Harry properly. He also slammed the loss of her royal title, making the Queen look miserly. It was an aristocratic denunciation of the same Royal Family that the Spencers helped to put on the throne.

I certainly understood the Earl's grief and anger and raw emotion. But I felt-still feel-that the tone of the eulogy was bombastic and accusatory, not suited to the solemnity of the occasion. The worst thing about it was the possibility that it might have embarrassed his sister's grieving children and put them on the spot.

QEII is Lord Spencer's godmother. The Spencers have been close to the Throne for many, many years. Charles's grandfather the 7th Earl was a member of George VI's last shooting party.

I wonder if the queen has anything at all to say to the Earl anymore? It's all very sad.

The Spencers owe their power and prestige to the Glorious Revolution of 1688, same as all the great Whig dynasties. I agree that it was bad form for Charles Spencer to stand in the Abbey and berate his queen, to whom he swore an oath of loyalty as a member of the House of Lords.

Last edited:
I thought it was telling that William on his wedding day when straight to Sarah and kissed her totally ignoring Earl Spencer leaving Harry to deal with him. It was also Aunt Sarah that W&K brought baby George to see when he was only weeks old.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

QEII is Lord Spencer's godmother. The Spencers have been close to the Throne for many, many years. Charles's grandfather the 7th Earl was a member of George VI's last shooting party.

I wonder if the queen has anything at all to say to the Earl anymore? It's all very sad.

The Spencers owe their power and prestige to the Glorious Revolution of 1688, same as all the great Whig dynasties. I agree that it was bad form for Charles Spencer to stand in the Abbey and berate his queen, to whom he swore an oath of loyalty as a member of the House of Lords.

There's no rift between the Spencer's and Windsor's. I think several years ago Charles met up with Lady Jane fellowes on an official engagement and they met with each a great deal of warmth. I think the Queen and Earl Spencer relationship is fine, they don't met often though. I think the last they say each other was for William and Catherine's wedding.

Give an example. How did he 'not treat his sister well'?
When she requested to live on the Althorpe estate (in a cottage)when she separated from Charles he refused. At least that was published in some magazines and newspapers.:flowers:

Yes, I think it was about a year or so before she died. Because both her boys were growing up and William in particular was into country pursuits, Diana felt she wanted a refuge in the country apart from Highgrove and the royal estates, somewhere she could take her sons and they could just relax.

Diana asked her brother for the use of one particular property (can't remember which one now) but Charles was himself at Althorp a fair bit in those days reorganising the estate. I think he had a vision of Althorp being besieged by royal protection officers, police, paps, Fleet St reporters and just the curious tramping about. So he apparently refused, and Diana became upset and annoyed as a result. I think he later offered her some place on the estate that was more secluded but by that time she'd lost interest.

No it was in 1993. The Garden House.
The year before she died she looked at property in Australia, South Africa, and the West Coast of the USA.

Lady Kitty Spencer is the eldest daughter of Diana's younger brother Charles Spencer, a British print journalist, and broadcaster.

The youngster's parents - Earl Spencer and his first wife Victoria Lockwood - tried their hardest to keep Kitty out of the spotlight as she grew up.

Victoria - now Aitken - took her young family to South Africa back in 1995 to avoid the media attention.

But it would seem Kitty is ready for the spotlight and is loving life as a socialite in London for the time being.
More: Lady Kitty Spencer's extravagant London lifestyle on social media | Life | Life & Style | Daily Express

I thought it was already clear that both families were on cordial terms... Why did he feel the need to speak up now?

I thought it was already clear that both families were on cordial terms... Why did he feel the need to speak up now?

If you read the article carefully, you will notice that there isn't a direct quote from Earl Spencer himself or any royal for that matter. Only thing we get is "a palace insider" and I've come to believe long ago that those words are synonymous with "we're making this up" that we get a lot from the Daily Fail.

If you read the article carefully, you will notice that there isn't a direct quote from Earl Spencer himself or any royal for that matter. Only thing we get is "a palace insider" and I've come to believe long ago that those words are synonymous with "we're making this up" that we get a lot from the Daily Fail.

:ROFLMAO: I agree with you! The Daily Fail not only makes most of its stories up but it makes old stories up, which is even worse:p

Royals heal their 18-year rift with Princess Diana's brother Earl Spencer-
Royals heal their 18-year rift with Princess Diana's brother Earl Spencer | Daily Mail Online

Earl Spencer let be known a while back that the Spencer's and the royal family don't have a rift between them, and all the drama of the past was very much overplayed in the media.

Somehow I doubt it; he rarely seems included in any events. Sure, he was a guest at William's wedding, but it would have been a big deal with the press if he'd been excluded.

I think it's telling that neither William nor Harry attended Spencer's wedding to Karen Gordon, even though both were in the country at the time.

It would be nice were Earl Spencer to live long enough to see William crowned. It's within the realm of possibility. It would be great to see him there putting on his coronet. :flowers:

Last edited:
It's safe to say that this shimmering ruffled dress is probably Lady Kitty Spencer's favourite.

The blonde niece of Princess Diana looked sensational last night at Milan's AmfAR gala at La Permanente, wearing the blush pink number by South African designer Jenni Button.

However Kitty, 24 - who boasts a lineage dating from pre-Tudor times and a family fortune of more than £100million - wore the same dress for the first time in April when she attended the Downton Abbey Ball and then again at the Hunt ball in June.
Read more: Princess Diana's niece Kitty Spencer gives favourite blush gown its THIRD outing | Daily Mail Online

She doesn't remind me much of the Spencers...must look like her mother's family.

LaRae

In this interview the Earl comes across as very pleasant and articulate.

William reminds me a lot of his uncle.

I have always liked Charles not so fond of his habit of collecting wives but apart from that he had always appeared to be a very nice man.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last night there was a dinner in honor of Ralph Lauren's charity, Pink Pony, at Althorp House. Lady Kitty Spencer was there along with the Earl and Countess Spencer.
Ralph Lauren Hosts Charity Dinner at Princess Diana’s Family Home | WWD

Pictures from Lady Kitty's instagram:
Kitty with actor Allen Leech:
https://instagram.com/p/8mLdC5g51Z

Kitty with Allen Leech and Michael Fox of Downton Abbey on her right (our left) and other guests that I don't recognize:
https://instagram.com/p/8m9Ezqg55

Princess Diana’s niece Lady Kitty Spencer made headlines Monday when she said that she is happy for the family’s famous Althorp estate in Northamptonshire to be left to her younger brother Viscount Louis. Kitty is the eldest child of Diana’s brother Earl Spencer.

In an interview in the December issue of Tatler magazine, of which she is a cover girl, she said she believes that primogeniture (the right by law or custom of the first-born male child to inherit the family estate) is the “correct way.”
Read more: Princess Diana’s Niece Lady Kitty Spencer Opens Up About Inheritance Of Family Estate [Video]

I'm looking forward to seeing Diana, Princess of Wales' niece, Lady Kitty Spencer, interviewed on national TV here in Australia today.

(Channel Seven is broadcasting the Melbourne Cup from 10.00am through to late afternoon. Lady Kitty is one of the guests for the event and Joanna Griggs has just said she will be speaking with her on live television any interested Oz posters.)

She's also been mentioned in the newspapers today and yesterday.

She's was quoted as saying she and her siblings have been told about alcohol and heroin addiction from their mother, and have learnt to steer clear.

The Melbourne Cup is a big deal across Australia, not just in Melbourne - though they are the only state to get a public holiday for it.

The newspapers have also been looking back at past Cup attendees, and we've had photos and write ups of Diana, and CP Mary and CP Frederik, and descriptions of the clothes those ladies wore.

(CP Mary was still Mary Donaldson at the time of her race day, but the paper mentioned her and Frederik's other activities around that visit - Mary being her friend's bridesmaid, their visit to the Kimberly region, travelling under the name Jensen etc.)

Last edited:
Lady Kitty is beautiful, a golden girl in every sense of the term!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom