The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-18-2016, 01:08 AM
Serene Highness

I think you're right, If they are interviewed esp in the US i think that they are going to be asked or expected to talk about Diana, as the one who is sadly gone and the more charismatic of their 2 parents. And its natural that they want to talk about her and keep her memory alive, whereas with their Dad he's still there and they still have an ongoing relationship with him. But i dont see any sign that they dont talk about their fahter or that they dont have a good relationship with him and are proud of what he's acheived as well as what their mothter acheived.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:33 AM
Majesty

The media were baying for blood and headlines such as "Who's Paying for This", were common. Diana was behaving the way she always had, wilfully and with no thought for the consequences, that is why she didn't understand why the media had "turned against her".

As for the notion that she would have been in any position to affect the monarchy, she may have survived a divorce but not the increasingly bad publicity. Had Charles been dead and William a minor, a Regent would have been appointed and Diana's "influence" severely constrained.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

So the media actually turned against her in the end? They seem to have collectively forgot about that, possibly they feel guilty because of the accusations the media drove her to her death (i don't remember much about that time, wasn't a Diana-follower, but the accusations towards the media i remember)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:51 PM
Majesty

There was still coverage of her charitable works, particularly of her trips re the landmines campaign. In general, though, she was getting more and more bad publicity. There were newspapers (tabloids) that were removed from shelves after she died. It's as though she became saintly overnight. It was a strange time. Things are a lot more balanced now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
So the media actually turned against her in the end? They seem to have collectively forgot about that, possibly they feel guilty because of the accusations the media drove her to her death (i don't remember much about that time, wasn't a Diana-follower, but the accusations towards the media i remember)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:31 AM
Serene Highness

They hadn't "turned against her" but they had become more critical. Most royals have up adn down periods with the press, the public and press get bored with totally "gooey" coverage, and there are always going to be critical stories. Diana had largely had the press on her side during the war of the Waleses so that wasn't going to go on forever. And her own behaviour seemed a lot more erratic in the last few years and the public were beginning to be less sympathetic towards her so the coverage reflected that.
She had had a lot of sympathy at first, but when it emerged that she was complaining about Charles having an affair with Camilla, but that she herself had had 2 relationships with married men which had led to the mens' wives getting very fed up, sympathy began to cool. And the vicious rows and mud slinging between herself and Charles had begun to disgust and bore people and they were tired of the story..
Old 05-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't mean to bad mouth the dead but one unfortunate legacy of hers that the RF is trying to get rid of is the access she allowed the media. She opened a door to them that everyone seems to be trying to close.
I don't want to make this a blame Diana thing, but media access and intrusion is part of her legacy.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-29-2016, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Once again we are veering further and further away from the topic and so some posts have had to be deleted. Whilst it is recognised that part of Diana's legacy will undoubtably be carried on through her sons, comparing the Princes' work ethic against one against the other or with their father's is not what this thread is about.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Serene Highness

I hope it is OK to reply to Xenia as it is about Diana's legacy.. I have to agree. I think she did, without meaning to, let the meda in too much, and now her sons, while they do carry on some of her work, are trying to get rid of the Meida. Im not sure that's a bad thing.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana re4alized they were not in step with the times. The media figured out that other than celebrity, what is there.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I hope it is OK to reply to Xenia as it is about Diana's legacy.. I have to agree. I think she did, without meaning to, let the meda in too much, and now her sons, while they do carry on some of her work, are trying to get rid of the Meida. Im not sure that's a bad thing.
I think its telling that William doesn't put Charlotte and George on display in front of 12 photogs like Diana and Charles did when he was young. First at 9 mos them toddling around in the blue snow suit then right before Harry was born. The cute piano photo shoot with all 4 of them was more intimate than the previous 3.
Granted William and Harry have been burned by the press even after their mom died; but they and all the royals seem to want to keep them at more of a distance.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I do think that the Cambridges could have one video session like the one for little William and Harry without it being too disturbing for their children. However, looking at the bigger picture I do feel the younger royals believe, as Harry said once, 'There is no private life any more'.

Since Leverson there has been less and less pouncing by a dozen or more papparazi. However, replacing that more and more are ordinary people with cameras/cell phones. They weren't around really in Diana's day (goodness knows how she would have coped) but her children and other members of the BRF have had to contend with people tweeting about them on the Internet, 'You wouldn't believe who I just saw...!' and also taking photos of them out walking, shopping, going to work, having a cup of coffee, even sitting in the cinema.

I'll never forget seeing a photo taken by someone of Harry, Cressida, Eugenie and their friends sitting in a cinema, and all around them were pinpoints of light from cell phones held up by other patrons. Who would want to live life every day like that? Diana never lived to see it but I don't think she would have been able to stand it. It's bizarre.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I follow some 'fan' accounts on Twitter dedicated to Diana and one account in particular tweets a lot of 'on this day' type a things, old newspaper clippings and headlines.

What struck me is just how much attention was actually focused on her fashions and social life.

A lot of us have been conditioned to believe it was all about Diana's charities and good works but more often than not, the headline was about her new outfit or what social event she would be attending.

This was before the internet and social media so she was spared in a certain sense but it's still eye opening to look back at old newspapers and read headlines from the Diana days.

That celebrity aspect she brought to the monarchy, is one of her biggest legacies (good or bad)
Old 05-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't actually think media access to the royals is Diana's legacy. Allowing media access is something the Queen seems to have started in the late 60's, and Charles continued the 'tradition' in the 80's with his young family. It's something he continues, in fact. I've seen a couple of television documentary-like films now centering on Charles and his work (Highgrove gardens, Scotland restorations) that are very interesting. Diana never did that kind of media except when she was connected to Charles as his wife.

Diana's media legacy is hard to pin-point imo. She was a celebrity (by virtue of her social position, age, and looks) who decided to use the media for her own purposes, and was magnificently adept at doing so. When that started is hard to say as there are hints that she was 'in on the game' as early as the pre-engagement flurry. None of the Dodi Fayed summer activity would have been tabloid fodder had not Diana actively worked with the press.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Elizabeth made.documemtaroes aboit her family but it was Diana who leaked stories to the press and made friends with journalist and set up photo ops of her going to amusemt parks with her kids. Then there was the Morton crap, all of which I theorize gave certain people in the media the notion that they are entitled to juicy stories from the royals.
The walk abouts with the kids stopped after Harry was norn so its anyone's guess if it was Charles or Diana who invited them in. And for the record I don't think William and Kate should expose George and Charlotte anymore than they have. People have to realize they aren't entitled to access to these children and any images that they release are more than enough.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I follow some 'fan' accounts on Twitter dedicated to Diana and one account in particular tweets a lot of 'on this day' type a things, old newspaper clippings and headlines.

What struck me is just how much attention was actually focused on her fashions and social life.

A lot of us have been conditioned to believe it was all about Diana's charities and good works but more often than not, the headline was about her new outfit or what social event she would be attending.

This was before the internet and social media so she was spared in a certain sense but it's still eye opening to look back at old newspapers and read headlines from the Diana days.

That celebrity aspect she brought to the monarchy, is one of her biggest legacies (good or bad)
I can't begin to imagine how strong the media coverage would be been if the internet had the function in her day as it does now.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

She was a dear person and it's still hard to believe she's no longer with us. It's amazing that ,those who's old enough to remember her, continue to carry on her legacy through charity and just helping others. Her memory and name has not died and it continuously highlighted by her children.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I've said it before...her boys are her legacy. She would be tremendously proud of them.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2016, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I've said it before...her boys are her legacy. She would be tremendously proud of them.

LaRae
Yes, I'm sure she's smiling down on them. Her and Charles brought up very good kids. They could've been very spoiled and rude Prince's, but they turned out very well. Now the legacy will pass down to her grandchildren. I would've loved to see her with those adorable kids.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've moved posts discussing Diana's Panorama interview, to the Panorama Interview: November 20, 1995 thread.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Saying a prayer for the late Diana, Princess of Wales as today would've been her 55th Birthday.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana