The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 AM
Courtier

Creepy because Diana appears as Charlotte's mother. In these pix, Diana's images are those of a time when she was younger than Kate is now. Kate will be 34 years old this month; Diana died about 2 weeks after her 36th birthday. As far as stalking, we do not know the source or probably many sources from where these photo shopped images came.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Reality is Diana is an image in amber. She never aged, and in a way, never matured, she continues as a fantasy. Even after all this time the reality of who she really was simply has not penetrated for some. The glossy image remains forever, within which there is virtue and depth never experienced during her life. The 'legacy' is outsized, far beyond anything she did when alive.

BTW I am touched that Prince William made a point of mentioning both his parents as having an influence on him. Diana, yes, but Charles, too. Well done.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:06 AM
Heir Apparent

'Virtue and depth never experienced during her life' Lady Nimue? Well, I happen to believe that Diana had great compassion for others and was therefore the reverse of shallow. I also feel that she possessed virtue as in excellence or a good quality.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:22 AM
Aristocracy

Diana did not have the time to finish growing and maturing during her short time on this earth as she was taken from the world to soon. Besides there really is no time table on when a person matures in life, that is done through experiences in life only. All that we see today are the pretty pictures of a very beautiful yet troubled young woman who had great love for her 2 sons and compassion for others as seen in the many pictures and news articles that are still out there today. None of us will ever know what would of been, we can only guess at that. As we all know that when the decisions and mistakes we make when we are young and foolish will come back to haunt us when we are older and wise.......unfortunately for Diana she never had the chance to experience that older and wise time, yet those mistakes are still very much alive today in the media for all to see.

The one thing that I know for sure is that Diana loved her sons more then anything or anyone on this earth and that love is still out there for all of us to see and enjoy today in the living proof of how well her sons are doing.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Aristocracy

I normally don't chime in on the discussions but I do follow them. I am from the Diana age. I didn't idolize her but I guess you could say it came close. I think the first picture is taking it a bit to far, with her holding the baby is weird. The second picture I took it to be she is looking down from the heavens watching over her granddaughter. It would be no different if you took pictures from your family to make a collage. I took the second picture as art. I don't think I would go as far as stalking. I think someone wanted to display their talent.

I too think Diana will live on in her sons. To us she is a memory, to them she is mom. No matter how long you mom is gone, you never forget her. The grandchildren will as about her and want to see pictures and hear stories as if they are normal kids. To me that is how her legacy will live on.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
'Virtue and depth never experienced during her life' Lady Nimue? Well, I happen to believe that Diana had great compassion for others and was therefore the reverse of shallow. I also feel that she possessed virtue as in excellence or a good quality.
The second bolded first: if I understand you, I think you are equating perhaps her exterior breeding (excellence) and dress (good quality) as a 'virtue'. Not sure, but it falls far short for me. While such is compelling and charismatic in the moment, I would be more impressed with her had she made her choice (marrying the heir to the throne) and taken on her historical role with class, discretion and decorum. She didn't. She simply never impressed in that way.

For the first bolded, she was a complicated lady, let's put it that way. From what I read she could be utterly charming one moment, and utterly unpleasant the next. I'm not up for splicing and dicing Diana's reality, but it's there for anyone to see who wants to look. To me there was not a lot of virtue, but she for sure had her 'good' compelling points. Depth is always a personal call. Someone like her who can shift between moods so quickly is just not my cup of tea. I am especially not keen on public heavens and private hells. Been around them too much, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirds View Post
Diana did not have the time to finish growing and maturing during her short time on this earth as she was taken from the world to soon.
Being around Diana's age right now I am a bit nonplussed with comments like these. I am plenty mature at my age: I am married with children and a career. I handle my household, plus elderly relatives, and much more. Why Diana required so much 'growing up' I will never understand. Her behavior was, pure and simple, strange by any standard. Look at the videos. We all see something different, I guess.

BTW when I said she hadn't matured, I meant in the physical sense. I meant that the image of her is still from her prime. She never aged in front of the cameras. She is an image in amber. Any photo composite will always be misleading and a bit spooky because of that.

Quote:
Besides there really is no time table on when a person matures in life, that is done through experiences in life only. All that we see today are the pretty pictures of a very beautiful yet troubled young woman who had great love for her 2 sons and compassion for others as seen in the many pictures and news articles that are still out there today.
Well, that's for sure. I'll agree there. The limitless patience accorded Diana by her admirers is impressive. We should all have the grace of such patience accorded us. Consider the irony, though, that everyone else in that story is suppose to be older and wiser and know better. At 30 Charles should have known better, but Diana at 30 just needed more maturing. It's all a very curious phenomenon, and gets tiring. If I never read another Diana book it will be too soon. I've reached that point.

[Edit: Regarding maturation only happening via experience: I am going to disagree. There is such a thing as metaphorical thinking. There is such a thing as learning from the experience of others. My understanding is Diana read a great many Barbara Cartland novels, and not much else. It's through reading that much of our 'experience' gets deepened and our sophistication gets expanded. It's why Charles attempted to interest Diana in reading beyond just the romances. Had she welcomed his overture, she could have expanded her horizons and become more cultured rather than just an icon. With wider horizons she may have been spared her failures and heart-aches. Just an idea.]

Quote:
The one thing that I know for sure is that Diana loved her sons more then anything or anyone on this earth and that love is still out there for all of us to see and enjoy today in the living proof of how well her sons are doing.
My last comment: Diana's love for her sons was undeniably genuine, we all love our children. But I would argue she might have loved herself more, or been unable to untangle her own needs as distinct from her children's needs oft times (examples of this are myriad). And saying this, I don't exempt myself from such failures. As for how her sons turned out, it may have much to do with experiencing their mother's deep, tactile love, but also to do with the solidity and regularity of royal life (which includes schools and teachers), and long vacations in nature protected from intrusive eyes, by a vigilant father.

In the end, this, too, is Diana's legacy: the controversy. It is a legacy that will never fade away. It will all be re-hashed again and again as new people come to the story and read the details, the way people read about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert and 'read into' the contemporary accounts what they will. Diana will always be there. She will shadow George and Charlotte and any other children of William, and Harry. Just as people see Queen Victoria in Princess Beatrice, so will people strive to see Diana in future generations. Not everybody, of course, but those interested in history of a particular kind. Most of the world will move on, as they already have. JMO.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

If everyone has moved on as you say why does this topic just goes on and on. I don't understand why people spend their time writing about a deceased person you were not her friend or sister etc so NO one really knows what she was like.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Time to move the discussion on.

A couple of bickering posts have been deleted as they were unhelpful to the discussion.

Please note that different opinions are welcome, but there comes a time when people with opposing views just have to agree to disagree. As a reminder, members are asked to think carefully of the impact their comments might make before posting about sensitive subjects and to be mindful that such comments may be offensive or upsetting to others.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Majesty

The picture of Diana bending down, wearing a white suit, was taken when she met with Mother Theresa in New York.

Princess Diana, Diana, Princess of Wales and Blessed Mother Teresa...

I find these pictures into which Diana is photo-shopped to be distasteful. They're harmless IMO. They're a projection of what people wish could be: that Diana could be around to see her grand-daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
As far as stalking, we do not know the source or probably many sources from where these photo shopped images came.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Commoner

Wow - I hadn't thought of it that way before. Incredible that Kate is just a year younger now than Diana was when she passed away. That really puts into perspective how young Diana was. Amazing that she was engaged to the Prince of Wales at 19 and it didn't seem to ruffle any feathers.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

It did make a few people uneasy he was older and had been living the life with a lot of girlfriends single or married.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-12-2016, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

^ I can remember a few people saying of Diana "She's very young." but in a pre-Internet age and with the media and British people enchanted by her, I can't recall many doomsayers at the time of the engagement. When Diana burst into tears at one of Charles's polo matches people just believed she was suffering from pre-bridal nerves.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:12 AM
Majesty

Yes, I agree. Up to the time of that polo match, she seemed to be coping well with all the attention. I don't remember much comment about her age at the time of the engagement. She seemed to be more mature than she actually was, perhaps because she had good manners and had some experience working and living away from home.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe my family were different but I remember talking with my mother and aunties and it was very much she's too young to take on the position and Charles and all the royals want is a virgin etc. but as I say we were maybe different than others.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethkelly View Post
Wow - I hadn't thought of it that way before. Incredible that Kate is just a year younger now than Diana was when she passed away. That really puts into perspective how young Diana was. Amazing that she was engaged to the Prince of Wales at 19 and it didn't seem to ruffle any feathers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It did make a few people uneasy he was older and had been living the life with a lot of girlfriends single or married.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
^ I can remember a few people saying of Diana "She's very young." but in a pre-Internet age and with the media and British people enchanted by her, I can't recall many doomsayers at the time of the engagement. When Diana burst into tears at one of Charles's polo matches people just believed she was suffering from pre-bridal nerves.
I don't remember there was that much of a stir, more of an "oh isn't she lovely, so shy but outdoorsy, isn't it wonderful, she'll make such a pretty bride".

Back then, getting married in your late teens and early twenties was common and much as we may deny it, we look back with 20/20 hindsight and believe we were all wiser than we were. There were no doom and gloom newspaper stories, nothing to suggest that Diana was too young to marry, let alone too young to marry a man older than her. No hint that she was unprepared or unsuitable to marry into the BRF, etc.

That we can look back with the full knowledge of the years we can understand things to a certain degree but, we cannot know any story about her, her marriage and how she felt about everything except that which was written in Andrew Morton's book, 'Diana, Her True Story - In her Own Words'. We can only do that because Morton has six C90 tapes of her and galleys with editorial changes written in her own hand.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not talking about her tapes or books etc. I was saying what MY family and friends were thinking and talking about not the media etc etc maybe we were ahead of our time

Old 01-13-2016, 01:09 PM
Majesty

What I do remember is watching the wedding and my father coming into the room behind me and saying, "The poor little girl." I said, at the oh-so-romantic and tender age of 19, "But she's marrying the man she loves." He just repeated himself, "The poor little girl," turned around, and walked out of the room. He wasn't anti-monarchist. Far from it. However, he saw something there that I missed.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
What I do remember is watching the wedding and my father coming into the room behind me and saying, "The poor little girl." I said, at the oh-so-romantic and tender age of 19, "But she's marrying the man she loves." He just repeated himself, "The poor little girl," turned around, and walked out of the room. He wasn't anti-monarchist. Far from it. However, he saw something there that I missed.

I was still a kid so all that was over my head...I just thought it was interesting she was marrying a prince.

As an adult (and having children)...I can totally understand why your dad would of thought that.

LaRae
Old 01-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Time to move on please, this thread is about Diana's legacy, not anecdotes of events or things people said 35 years ago.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Part of Diana's legacy is that we don't think young girls marring a older prince is a happy ever after life. Thank goodness most royal weddings now are after a long time living together and close in age

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana