The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I agree with the above, one of the saddest things about Diana's death was that her life at the time seemed rather chaotic and unsettled - a sort of crossroads I suppose. By now, all the problems of those last few years would surely have been forgotten about and the hype would have been more manageable and less intense.

mmm, I'm not too sure about it. It would all depend on what Diana's life would be like now... not to mention all the more annoying comparisons... who know what she would be up to now...

Old 12-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
mmm, I'm not too sure about it. It would all depend on what Diana's life would be like now... not to mention all the more annoying comparisons... who know what she would be up to now...
Well yes, I see what you're saying and of-course who knows what the last 18 years would have brought. I've just always had the idea in my mind that living such lifestyle in the media spotlight, doing things deemed to be controversial etc etc would be difficult to sustain or live with.

I'm not saying either she would have got bored or the media would, but I just can't imagine that should would have still been living the same lifestyle now as she was then.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well yes, I see what you're saying and of-course who knows what the last 18 years would have brought. I've just always had the idea in my mind that living such lifestyle in the media spotlight, doing things deemed to be controversial etc etc would be difficult to sustain or live with.

I'm not saying either she would have got bored or the media would, but I just can't imagine that should would have still been living the same lifestyle now as she was then.

I just wonder if the royal family would ever feel comfortable around her or would always live with tension and fear Diana would "spill out" something... don't know, but it's strange for me to imagine the future of Diana and the BRF now together or .. Like, it would be two diferrent paths that would bring more and more divergencies...
Old 12-13-2015, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe she would have settled in and become a sort of global charity ambassador but without leaking the stories to the press stuff of earlier days. I can also see that it could have gone the opposite way. She could have a problem giving up the Royal spotlight, getting older and watching a new woman become involved with her sons as the start to date and get married. Kate gets compared to Diana now image if she was still alive and didn't want you around. William may not have even met Kate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

It seems to me any woman who married William would be subject to such comparisons by certain segments of the press.

The only way to avoid it would be to remain a bachelor.

As with most people who are no longer with us, we have a tendency to remember the good and forget the bad. Who knows what Diana would be up to or what her views would be on things if she were alive.

I find it difficult though to believe she would be nothing but happy for William and eventually Harry to find love.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Had she lived, the spotlight would have always been on her. Being a former senior Royal and mother of a future King, Diana still had a role to play on the global stage. I think she would be busy being an humanitarian today, a supportive mother, mother-in-law and grandmother.

I think her relationship with the royal family would've approved over time.

It's just sad that she never got a chance to find some sort of happiness and turn her life around. Her former husband got that chance, but she didn't. That's life and life isn't fair, unfortunately.

I just pray her life is full of love and peace in another kingdom.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Had Diana lived today, she would have been a lady going on to her sixties. Of course the interest would remain, but it would be more in normal proportions and no longer the dianamania of those days. Of course, without the royal protection and without the many changes after her tragic death regarding the press, she probably would have had a miserable 1990's and early 2000's, being besieged all time.

Queen Paola of the Belgians is an example of how a total media frenzy, a total madhouse, a total mania, incredible street scenes and even a hit song (Dolce Paola), still can result into a 'forgotten lady' anno 2015. Picture: the Prince and Princess de Liège with the Prince and Princess of Monaco.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Courtier

None of us know what would have happened.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Exactly! Nobody can know how it was the life of Diana today. All we can do is speculate. However it is certain that everyone will never stop to discuss for Diana.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
None of us know what would have happened.
And that's the truth...
Old 12-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
However it is certain that everyone will never stop to discuss for Diana.

It seems to me that it's largely people from other countries who continually wish to discuss her.. In Britain she is rarely talked about, or referred to ,except in the 'Daily Express' which runs 'non stories' about her so often it is laughingly known as 'the Daily Diana'.

Many, many people would prefer just to forget, principally [I think] because [A] we all consider ourselves partially responsible for her being hounded to death by a press WE expected to follow her, and [B] because we are embarrassed at the VERY uncharacteristic outburst of emotion [in the immediate aftermath of her death]. It was SO unlike our reserved and unemotional 'national character' and is not something we are proud of, or care to be reminded of !
Old 12-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting insight. Thanks. When the Daily Mail has an article again about Diana, I am surprised by the poisionous vitriol in the comments. So she was not at all the Holy Diana, Rose of England, as we foreigners seem to think.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Interesting insight. Thanks. When the Daily Mail has an article again about Diana, I am surprised by the poisionous vitriol in the comments. So she was not at all the Holy Diana, Rose of England, as we foreigners seem to think.

True, but just about everyone who is mentioned is subjected to poisonous vitriol from some commenters. (That even includes George and Charlotte, and they are just babies).
Old 12-13-2015, 03:03 PM
Serene Highness

The 'Mail' caters for two of our most unattractive character traits - the desire to 'put people on pedestals' and then [MORE pleasurable] to knock them off again, and to snipe at people perceived as 'more fortunate than ourselves', without mercy. NO-ONE [not even babes-in arms] is exempt !
Old 12-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
It seems to me that it's largely people from other countries who continually wish to discuss her.. In Britain she is rarely talked about, or referred to ,except in the 'Daily Express' which runs 'non stories' about her so often it is laughingly known as 'the Daily Diana'.

Many, many people would prefer just to forget, principally [I think] because [A] we all consider ourselves partially responsible for her being hounded to death by a press WE expected to follow her, and [B] because we are embarrassed at the VERY uncharacteristic outburst of emotion [in the immediate aftermath of her death]. It was SO unlike our reserved and unemotional 'national character' and is not something we care to be reminded of !
Thanks wyevale . Quite interesting and a bit surprised for me to hear that most people there in britain prefers to forget.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Maybe she would have settled in and become a sort of global charity ambassador but without leaking the stories to the press stuff of earlier days.
I think Diana's presence in life would have dramatically altered the life-trajectory of Charles and her sons. No question. At some point, probably if she remarried an older wealthy man, and the true extent of her press manipulations became public knowledge, the public would have become jaded and 'turned' on her, at which point (and only at which point) Charles would have become free to marry Camilla (but not before).

Quote:
I can also see that it could have gone the opposite way. She could have a problem giving up the Royal spotlight
Exactly so. It was already happening at the time imo. The degree to which she strove to stay in the public's awareness with the Dodi Fayed photo-ops should be an indication of what was in store.

Quote:
getting older and watching a new woman become involved with her sons as the start to date and get married. Kate gets compared to Diana now image if she was still alive and didn't want you around. William may not have even met Kate.
I agree with those who suspect that William would never have married, unless he continued his rebellion that far. With Diana's death, William's natural adolescent rebellion took a turn. Had she lived, it's possible William would have turned out differently and gone his own route with women of choice. This will always be the greatest unknown, but I suspect Kate would never have had the chance to enter the picture had Diana lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It seems to me any woman who married William would be subject to such comparisons by certain segments of the press. The only way to avoid it would be to remain a bachelor.
Which I think he may well have done, especially when Diana's issues of abandonment are considered.

Quote:
As with most people who are no longer with us, we have a tendency to remember the good and forget the bad. Who knows what Diana would be up to or what her views would be on things if she were alive.
True enough, but one can look at the character and the tendencies. I am somewhat of a history buff and post on an alternate history chat site. There we debate might-have-beens. Some of the discussions I've engaged in: What If the Cathars never had the Inquisition mounted against them? What would have been the course of French history centered in Carcassonne with that sort of dualism gaining ascendency? What if the Inquisition had never been mounted at all? What if Catholic priests never took a vow of celibacy? What if the Templars had never been purged? What if the Moors had never been driven out of Spain and the Jewish people had never been forced to flee to Poland and Germany? [My interest is in the High Middle Ages. ]

What is interesting is how much character (and tendencies) determines history. Germany may not have won WWII, for example, but the tendency for dominance remained and they govern Europe now as much as they would have had they won, though in a different way. But this is a side comment. I just mean to show that discussion of might-have-beens is a fascinating topic from an historical perspective for those so interested.

Quote:
I find it difficult though to believe she would be nothing but happy for William and eventually Harry to find love.
Given the character of the woman and the demonstrated tendency to need absolute devotion from the men in her life, I doubt that William and Harry would have had an easy time dating in the face of Diana's possessiveness. Diana would not have been a happy camper. That's a hunch. We will never know, of course, but all signs point to that.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

If Diana was alive and she interfered with either William or Harry's love life, they'd tell her to take a long walk off a short pier. That's my opinion. I mean they love their mother but c'mon. The same for their dad.

If she was still alive and that unstable she'd be 'resting comfortably' at shady acres or something.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
If Diana was alive and she interfered with either William or Harry's love life, they'd tell her to take a long walk off a short pier. That's my opinion. I mean they love their mother but c'mon.
What I said was that Diana would not be a happy camper, not that her sons wouldn't date. However, given her character and the issues she demonstrated during her life, especially her reliance upon William, I think it is reasonable to suppose that William might date but he would never be allowed to 'desert' her for a wife. Just a hunch.

The above would fly in the face of the dynastic imperative to marry and produce an heir but the possibility looms. Who Diana would have approved would have been fascinating to watch, though.

Quote:
The same for their dad.
I think you're underestimating the sheer inertial weight of Diana's fans' influence back then.

Quote:
If she was still alive and that unstable she'd be 'resting comfortably' at shady acres or something.
Unlikely imo.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
a bit surprised for me to hear that most people there in Britain prefers to forget
Another contributory factor to the change in public perception, was [I believe] the Film 'the Queen' [2006], which was seen by MILLIONS here [and far beyond]. Although it showed Diana as a trapped and hunted woman, it accented and publicised the bullying the Queen was subjected to, by the Politicans, the Press and the Public in September 1997.

Although many Monarchists had been aware of this before the film came out, the majority of the public hadn't, and since NO-ONE likes their much loved 'Grandmother' bullied [especially when she is protecting precious children], the reaction was profound, and did much to cement the view that the British public behaved appallingly during the whole sorry story !
Old 12-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

As has been noted before, this is not the thread to speculate on William and Harry's relationship with Diana, or whether or not William would have married Catherine had Diana still been alive. Please get back on topic.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana