The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hmm I definetly think Diana would have been seeing a counselor or psychiatrist to help her deal with her present and past issues. At the time of her death she finally accepted Charles's love for Camilla and she joked with him about making Camilla an honest woman. So there was definetly a step forward for her in making peace with the past. Dodi would have been a distant memory imo. I do think at 50 she would have looked amazing if she kept up the excercise and healthy diet. I do think Diana would have found it difficult to see her sons become men as most parents but I think over time she would accept that. And of course she would be on guard for the women who entered her sons' lives rightfully so; there are people out there who marry for wealth and not love. I do think Diana would have accepted Kate once she got to know her. Seeing her son marry for love and have stable and happy relationship would have made her very happy.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

The only thing that I would have to agree is the living place. I believe she would have moved to America. The rest, is too hard to say. except for Al Fayed. I've read so in many places that his fling with Diana was just that, a fling. Nothing serious, I can see them getting married.
Regardless, it seems so silly to wonder about that. Shame her 2 boys had to grow up without a mother and that is the saddest part.

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailin Deas View Post
There is no question that Diana was a mother and a loving mother by all accounts. However, between boarding school days, the boys were effectively raised by nannies except when Diana wanted them to be part of her "I am a better parent than Charles" propaganda....IMO her image came first always...
Even the Queen, who is well known for her abject refusal to take part in what she terms "stunts" for the public benefit of the BRF, referred to Diana's "devotion to her two boys" in the speech HM gave the Friday before Diana's funeral. I doubt HM would have said that if it were not true, nor do I believe the Princes would so obviously and publicly cherish their mother's memory if she only used them for PR stunts to burnish her "image".

We all know William gave Kate Diana's engagement ring and we can all remember the "Concert for Diana" both Princes organised a few years ago, as well as the Memorial Service in the Guards Chapel. I think we should all remember Prince Harry referring to Diana as "the best mother in the world"; if that is the view of the two Princes, that says it all.

I have defended Diana many times on this forum and also posted what I believe to be the truth in discussions with those who somehow "sanctify" her. I never, ever thought that I would ever need to defend her record as a mother, though. It speaks for itself. Yes, Charles had to raise the boys himself after her death. Harry got into trouble in various ways after her death, the explanation always being how much time the two boys spent alone when not at school. Does anyone think they would have had so much time alone if Diana had still been alive?
Heir Apparent

I can't really picture Diana as an older woman, she seemed so much the type who would die young.
If she'd lived, I can see her as another Margaret, embittered and unhappy. Because I think it's nonsense that she would have ever married Dodi.

As it is, besides two stalwart sons, she leaves a legend and a song, and those are things that endure. Not a bad legacy, imo.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
The only thing that I would have to agree is the living place. I believe she would have moved to America. The rest, is too hard to say. except for Al Fayed. I've read so many places that his fling with Diana was just that, a fling. Nothing serious, so really don't believe that they would've married.
Regardless, it seems so silly to wonder about that. Shame her 2 boys had to grow up without a mother and that is the saddest part.
You're right it is definetly hard to say what would have been. Though it is interesting that one person in the article predicted the date she would've have married Dodi and the names of their would have been children.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Administrator

I think its hard to say what Diana what have done or become.

In the last year, I think she was coming to terms with certain relationships (such as her relationship with Charles) and yet she wasn't speaking to either her mother and her brother/sister. So perhaps at 50 she would have evolved to the point that she was content with all relationships in her life. But are any of us?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
I have defended Diana many times on this forum and also posted what I believe to be the truth in discussions with those who somehow "sanctify" her. I never, ever thought that I would ever need to defend her record as a mother, though. It speaks for itself. Yes, Charles had to raise the boys himself after her death. Harry got into trouble in various ways after her death, the explanation always being how much time the two boys spent alone when not at school. Does anyone think they would have had so much time alone if Diana had still been alive?
Agree. To see videos of Diana is to see how much she loved them, and how much they love her. It's was in their body language.A naturality which has not been seen, definitively with the previous members.

More than anything I would've wish to see her happy, understanding mistakes of the past, and to be able to move on. Her former other half got his chance, didn't he?!
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
....Her former other half got his chance, didn't he?!
Her "former other half's" second chance had nothing to do with the death of Diana. She was the one who got in the car with a drunk driver and chose not to wear a seat belt.

What a presumptive thing to say.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
I think its hard to say what Diana what have done or become.

In the last year, I think she was coming to terms with certain relationships (such as her relationship with Charles) and yet she wasn't speaking to either her mother and her brother/sister. So perhaps at 50 she would have evolved to the point that she was content with all relationships in her life. But are any of us?

Diana's, Princess of Wales, legacy has left an impact, not on commoners, but on many royal heirs-to-a-throne. Her charismatic personality and her common touch was sought by the crown princes of European monarchies in their future crown princesses. I do not have to name the 'M's' or the one 'L,' you all heard and read of them many times. The late Princess of Wales' was a very unique person, just as I believe we are all in some way(s). She is 'for the ages' now. Her life played out the way it had to - fate inevitably intervenes for all. Fate decided when, where, and how she would perish from existence. Speculation on her life at 50 is for naught - her life ended when fate decided. None of the scenarios you all mentioned where ever meant to be. I only have praise for her - I will let her rest in peace. To do otherwise, only reflects on one's own inner evils.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Agree. To see videos of Diana is to see how much she loved them, and how much they love her. It's was in their body language.A naturality which has not been seen, definitively with the previous members.

More than anything I would've wish to see her happy, understanding mistakes of the past, and to be able to move on. Her former other half got his chance, didn't he?!
I agree with your wishes to see Diana getting the same chance to move on as Charles did. And I do believe she would have. The signs were all there; the auction, the new "naturalness" in her dress, hair and makeup; the down-sizing of her entourage, etc. Almost definitely she would have occasionally slipped backwards into old mistakes as we all do when moving forward.

I also agree with Zonk that it would be nearly impossible to guess just what exactly Diana would have evolved into being at age fifty, but I don't think her "no-speaks" with her family is too relevant as that seems to be how the Spencers operate, regardless of age.

I don't think she would have had anymore trouble with "aging" than Jackie Kennedy Onassis did. She would have followed in Jackie's footsteps and matured with grace and elegance as her age climbed upward.

But the only thing we can say for sure is that we will never really know and isn't that the real shame of it all? To go back in time, to change drivers, maybe put on a seat belt, etc... Hindsight is twenty/twenty and it reminds me of watching "Titanic", the movie - one almost wants to shout at the screen as each fatal error is made. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way and we are left with nothing but memories and conjecture. Diana in death is as elusive a personality as she was in life. Maybe that explains our continued fascination, negative and/or positive, with her.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Her "former other half's" second chance had nothing to do with the death of Diana. She was the one who got in the car with a drunk driver and chose not to wear a seat belt.

What a presumptive thing to say.
Sorry, KittyAtlanta, but I don't see where Mia_Mae connects Charles' second chance with Diana's death. Before Diana's crash, the PoW had already put Camilla's status as "non-negotiable" and I think that if anything, Diana's death put their plans back instead of forward. Just my opinion.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles and Diana were already divorced when Camilla became "non-negotiable." Diana did have a second chance, but she got caught in a terrible accident that could have been avoided. Her death had nothing to do with Charles, his second chance or anything else.

Mia's comment was uncalled for.

As for Diana's legacy, which is the discussion, her legacy will be --- just like everyone else's legacy --- photographs for everyone, and photographs and memories for those who knew her.

Aside from the 50th anniversary of Diana Spencer's birth being published this month, there have been no books written since 2004 (I could be wrong on the year), which indicates a decline in interest. The new book will be no more than a recompilation of her life story with a few photos of Kate and Wills' wedding added for good measure.

It's not my intention to be rude to other posters or disrespectful to the dead, but reality is reality.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

There have been books published after 2004. There is an upcoming fictional book about Diana to be released sometime this year
Old 06-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Charles and Diana were already divorced when Camilla became "non-negotiable." Diana did have a second chance, but she got caught in a terrible accident that could have been avoided. Her death had nothing to do with Charles, his second chance or anything else.

Mia's comment was uncalled for.
No one said that her death had anything to do with Charles' second chance. The divorce was finalised almost exactly one year prior to the Princess' death, so of course, that is exactly what I was saying: Diana's death had nothing to do with Charles' second chance and that, if anything - Charles and Camilla had to slow down the PR campaign to get the public to accept Camilla because of Diana's death. (Since Charles specifically hired a PR advisor for this task, I don't think that's a controversial thing to post.)

How exactly did Mia connect Charles' second chance with Diana dying? I have read and reread her posts and see nothing remotely connecting the two. What I see Mia saying is that because of Diana's death, we never got a chance to see what Diana would have done with her second chance as we have been able to see Charles find some happiness with his second chance. I guess Mia should explain this, herself, if she feels like doing so. I can only state what impression I gained from reading her post and of course, it's only an opinion, just like your opinion of what Mia meant.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
There have been books published after 2004. There is an upcoming fictional book about Diana to be released sometime this year
Fiction is the key word.

We all see things differently. What I read was that Diana did not get a second chance. She did get a second chance, she was living a different life --- her own life, not the "royal" life. Unfortunately, the accident brought that second chance to an end. Nothing more to say on the matter.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

We all see things differently. What I read was that Diana did not get a second chance. She did get a second chance, she was living a different life --- her own life, not the "royal" life. Unfortunately, the accident brought that second chance to an end. Nothing more to say on the matter.
I agree with you 100% on this. Diana was living her second chance that first year after her marriage, her "own life" as you put it. And the accident did bring that chance to an end. Sorry if I was too outspoken.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

Papapapapapa! Now wait! Something has gone into the wrong direction here !
Aliza, thanks for the post, but I'll take that Kitty just interpreted differently, which in a forum is more than normal.

I did not say Charles didn't deserve his happiness or the marriage to Camilla. What I was saying, or tried to was that I wished Diana could have found someone else, someone who she truly loved, like her ex-husband. Cause he did, didn't he?!
In no way did I intend to say Prince of Wales current relationship is unfair, just that I wish both parties could have had happy endings.

On another lighter note What Would Have Been | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Diana's, Princess of Wales, legacy has left an impact, not on commoners, but on many royal heirs-to-a-throne. Her charismatic personality and her common touch was sought by the crown princes of European monarchies in their future crown princesses. I do not have to name the 'M's' or the one 'L,' you all heard and read of them many times. The late Princess of Wales' was a very unique person, just as I believe we are all in some way(s). She is 'for the ages' now. Her life played out the way it had to - fate inevitably intervenes for all. Fate decided when, where, and how she would perish from existence. Speculation on her life at 50 is for naught - her life ended when fate decided. None of the scenarios you all mentioned where ever meant to be. I only have praise for her - I will let her rest in peace. To do otherwise, only reflects on one's own inner evils.
I am not sure what your post has to do with mine. Particulary the point, where you state "to do otherwise, only reflects on one's own inner evils." Very confused am I.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

The so-called "second chance" is irrelevant with hindsight.

Diana would have rejoiced in seeing her boys grow into fine specimens, and she herself would have outshone everyone who came into her orbit.

I'm still very sad that she could not have lived longer...
Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk

I am not sure what your post has to do with mine. Particulary the point, where you state "to do otherwise, only reflects on one's own inner evils." Very confused am I.

Those who disrespect the dead by assuming negatively how her life would have been until now, only show their inner negative feelings toward the late princess. These feelings simply express lack of respect for one has passed on. To me, lack of respect and expressing thoughts of negativity toward another, only regards the evil feeling of superiority. Some will put others down, which only points to their their childishness and lack of maturity. There will always be written words that some will not underdstand. I am only expressing my feelings. You do not to have understand!
Your feelings of superiority toward me were the 'elephant in the room' in your reply post. Your attempt to make me feel stupid and to hurt my feelings, only adds to my confidence level! Thanx! :-D

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana