The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

2; William has a very very loving, caring, extremley well educated future monarch as a father and a incredible sophisticated, well travelled and knowledgeable grandmother. Diana IMO has done not even half of what HM and Charles have done for William.
I believe she heavily influenced both her sons and the BRF on charity work and getting down in the nitty gritty with people and living a 'real' life....She took them to McDonalds, both Charles and Queen wouldn't do that for sure, yes they influenced his 'royal' up bringing and knowledge greatly but Diana was a huge influence on their 'normalcy' and the idea that to whom much is given, much is asked and they should give back .....it's a combo....you most certainly can not discount the impact a mother had on her sons and account it solely to his father and grandmother .....

And to be fair, maybe she could have done more ( by your standards) had she lived longer to influence him..,.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
....And to be fair, maybe she could have done more ( by your standards) had she lived longer to influence him..,.
Yes, she had 15 years with William and 13 with Harry. They have now lived longer (but for a few months) without her than with. Who knows how or what they would be had she lived.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

One thing that it is undeniable is the love the boys show to both of their parents, Never I heard anything different. To know all the rules of books will help you, but won't be enough once things go different from what you expected.

You may have lost your mother at 15, but if she was a loving one, the impact will remain for way longer. And that's how people live on, because someone "carries" them inside.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wonderful, Mia. That's what I thought to myself when this thread was first introduced. Diana will live as long as one person has her in their heart.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Both William and Henry have spoken publically as to the influence their mother has had on their lives and who they are as men. Not for a moment do I doubt the influence of their late mother had to their lives, and I also would not doubt that Charles would have encouraged them to speak openly about her, or even with him. Both men certainly seem to have a vivid recollection of their mother from a personal point of view which, given their age at the time of her death, shouldn't necessarily be taken for granted.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Both William and Henry have spoken publically as to the influence their mother has had on their lives and who they are as men. Not for a moment do I doubt the influence of their late mother had to their lives, and I also would not doubt that Charles would have encouraged them to speak openly about her, or even with him. Both men certainly seem to have a vivid recollection of their mother from a personal point of view which, given their age at the time of her death, shouldn't necessarily be taken for granted.

Not only their ages but how little time that actually spent with her. They were both at boarding school from age 8 and then spent half of their holidays with their father as well so in a six week holiday period would spend three weeks with her.

What I don't get is the fact that they keep saying they wish people would let her 'rest in peace' but as they keep talking about her obviously they don't won't that to happen (much like their mother really - say one thing but don't really want it to happen).
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness

Mine and your and everyone else's position regards Diana is one thing, William's and Harry's is one particular and, frankly, the one that matters. I can't blame them for not wanting people to sell stories and memories about her. There's nothing wrong in wanting to focus on the good and letting the bad part go. That's what we all should do, the difference is that you and I can do it privately, they can't!

and also "much like their mother really - say one thing but don't really want it to happen" only their mother? I didn't think so......
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I believe she heavily influenced both her sons and the BRF on charity work and getting down in the nitty gritty with people and living a 'real' life....She took them to McDonalds, both Charles and Queen wouldn't do that for sure, yes they influenced his 'royal' up bringing and knowledge greatly but Diana was a huge influence on their 'normalcy' and the idea that to whom much is given, much is asked and they should give back .....it's a combo....you most certainly can not discount the impact a mother had on her sons and account it solely to his father and grandmother .....

And to be fair, maybe she could have done more ( by your standards) had she lived longer to influence him..,.
Well said. Her impact on her sons will always remain with them.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Majesty

No one is doubting the impact - for good and bad - of Diana on her sons but...

they are the ones that keep commenting on her and thus encourage the press to write stories that sell.

The princes can't have it both ways - yes she will always be part of them but if they want her to be left in peace then it has to start with them. Until they do so publicly e.g. the press asks something like 'what do you think your mother would think about xxx?' a reply like 'that is know a private matter we know longer wish to discuss publicly' will get the message across rather than 'she would be so happy/proud etc' that just continues to feed the press and public. They have to take the lead but as they won't do so they can't complain when other also continue to write about her and make money off her as they feed that money making themselves with their comments.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

As I see it, allowing Diana to "rest in peace" means to allow the difficult parts of her personality and story rest and not to be trying to dig up more muck about the lady. I don't think that it means that we should forget the person entirely.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Serene Highness

Well said, Mermaid1962. I think that's what her sons want too, and what most people who've lost a parent want. They will inevitably feel compelled to mention or include her, as long as they're human. And Prince William seems to be developing a gift for speaking his mind when things displease him. Good for him.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Serene Highness

You can't take a pragmatic view when it come to this. To protect the image of someone you love so much is the most natural thing. Even if William and Harry decided not to mention their mother ever again, there would be people, who's life she touched and therefore would feel the need to remember her.

The weird thing would be if they did NOT talk about her. Then I would be really worry.

We all know about the mistakes that were made, from BOTH sides. For the childhood Diana had and unhappy married life she was able to do a remarkable job as a parent.

My most vivid images of the late Princess is the one of her hugging her boys @ the Britannia, during their visit to Canada. The way she smiled after seeing them, the way she put her hands in her chest, almost like a little girl, so excited to see them again and then the overwhelming hug ... anyone who has or had a parent that showed this kind of affection should feel so lucky to have had it, even if not for many years.

As someone who lost a parent very early on I can't assure you that absence can be as impacting as presence. Once you grow up you stop seeing your parents as only your parents (people that start to exist the moment you are born), understand what made them who they are, and hopefully, let go of any resentment. Cause if you don't , well you gonna have a lifetime of heartaches!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Not only their ages but how little time that actually spent with her. They were both at boarding school from age 8 and then spent half of their holidays with their father as well so in a six week holiday period would spend three weeks with her.
Need it really be said that there is more than one way to communicate and gain comfort with another?!

I'm sure William and Henry would have spoken regularly with their mother over the phone when they were apart.

The closeness shared between mother and children was evident and the comfort they took from her and her from them would be incredibly hard for anyone to refute should they wish to try.

In the 'world' in which they live, it would at times unavoidably come down to the quality of that time shared and not necassarily the quantity. That goes without saying.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally, I think that her excitement in greeting William and Harry on this occasion was a little bit "over the top." Even at the time, when I was quite an admirer of Diana, I found her actions the actions of a woman playing to the cameras. Also, the video usually stops before Prince Charles is seen greeting the boys affectionately. So although there are many scenes of Diana as a mother that I remember warmly, this isn't one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
My most vivid images of the late Princess is the one of her hugging her boys @ the Britannia, during their visit to Canada. The way she smiled after seeing them, the way she put her hands in her chest, almost like a little girl, so excited to see them again and then the overwhelming hug ... anyone who has or had a parent that showed this kind of affection should feel so lucky to have had it, even if not for many years.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Personally, I think that her excitement in greeting William and Harry on this occasion was a little bit "over the top." Even at the time, when I was quite an admirer of Diana, I found her actions the actions of a woman playing to the cameras. Also, the video usually stops before Prince Charles is seen greeting the boys affectionately. So although there are many scenes of Diana as a mother that I remember warmly, this isn't one of them.
I have watch the whole video, I also remember Charles warningly hugging the children and even the kick Harry gave his older brother after the reunion.
As I can recal someone from the staff came to greet Diana and as she politely shook hands with him, slowly slipped away in their direction.
That definitely wans't staged in my eyes, for sure.

different people, different views,but I respectfully disagree!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Serene Highness

I didn't lose my mother until I was 36 years old. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had been 13 or 15 years old when she died. I've known a few people that lost parents when they were young, but each of them had different experiences or outlook on it. Some people were very open about it, others didn't want to talk about it.

Diana will always have a legacy. Over the decades it will change. It will be interesting decades from now when no one in her age group is around who remembers her when she was alive what the legacy will be.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Nobility

I have as well always wondered how much time they actually spent with Diana. I am sure quite a bit when they were very young but by 8 they were away at boarding school and I believe only saw Diana when she and Charles were still together on weekends?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would think they would see Diana every other weekend after seeing their father. And I do believe Diana spoke to the boys on the phone regularly. It was reported that she visited them at school from time to time.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Serene Highness

English public school system seems so strange to those that don't grow up in it. Since most of their friends had the same experience, I doubt the Princes though much about it.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Serene Highness

I attended American schools in Florida. Very different from British or European schools. I would imagine Princess Diana and Prince Charles from time to time probably went to school events that Prince William or Prince Harry were involved in.

Kids who are in boarding schools don't see their parents as much as those like myself who attended school and then went home for the day.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana

« Charles and Diana | - »