The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I doubt if he "blithely" or "happily" agreed to do anything so painful.... but he may not have realised, when he agreed to do it, just exactly what it entailed. IN fact I'm sure he didn't, and he found it very upsetting when he was doig it.
I give in. When one is wilfully determined to skew a post to suit their point of view it becomes evident that denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Earl Spencer pleads with Channel 4 not to broadcast Diana tapes

Suddenly the 'noble' Lord discovers the value of privacy and discretion...
As I understand it, those are the same tapes that were broadcast on NBC in the US a few years ago. They are actually avaialble on YouTube and anyone can see them. I don't think there is anything new here that is not already public knowledge.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Neither William nor Harry referred to any problems around their attending the funeral or walking in it in their tribute to their mother. That's what comes IMO of commenting on something you haven't seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
In all fairness Harry has said something very recently about that and he was not positive about it either.
LaRae
Wasn't that in the documentary as well? His comments about walking behind the coffin is the main thing I see as being used to stir up old wounds which gives support to Denville's opinion. As soon as I heard him say that I knew there would be controversy.

Quote:
I take it you're being sarcastic so I wont respond.
I'm sorry you misunderstood but I was being completely genuine in my question.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Perhaps I should have said "blithely". We are also talking about a boy who did not yet understand the depths of grief, a child . . . yes, but a true "innocent". The same innocent who lobbied hard and didn't really understand the reasons why he was told he could not accompany his father to France to bring his mother home. That is why I believe he said: "a child should never be asked to do that".

To put it simply, he did not understand at all what he was going to do except walk with his dad who also didn't know what to expect. Harry has spent the best part of twenty years trying to reconcile himself to the consequences. Tony Blair et al did not know if William would accompany them until the day of the funeral.

Prince Philip had not planned to walk but he said he would (I'm guessing) to support William whom (I believe) would not leave Harry to walk without him. That this was a unique occasion is emphasised by their joining the rest of the family to walk behind the Queen Mother's gun carriage.
I agree with you.

Furthermore I find it unfortunate to point the funeral issue out in public, stirring up negativity. The situation was unique back then, Harry was a child - without a feeling for grief, never took his own decisions or had any life experience - and not the adult he is now.
There is no point looking back since I do not believe - and nobody indicated - that Harry was forced to walk. It seemed the best thing to do back then and one should leave it at that.
I am sure had he not walked, he would regret it as well, not having gone the last way with his mother. He is a Prince of UK, all eyes would have been on him anyway. Yes he was a child, millions of children walk behind the coffins of their parents but not under the watchful eyes of the world population but sorry, it may sound brutal but it comes with the job, even for a child, as so many other things come with the job, like supermodels waiting for you at home as a lunch surprise.
Hopefully the brothers will be quiet now and not do the same public thing again in 5 years.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
You are not consequent. As long as you do not go for a democratically elected head of state, you are as every bit as archaïc as me, Madam.
I do "go for" a democratically elected head of state.
Edit: after some time I decided to edit my post because I felt it was too combative.

All I will say is in 2017 the idea of good breeding and good blood is extremely out of date.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Hopefully the brothers will be quiet now and not do the same public thing again in 5 years.
I PRAY you are right, but think it unlikely..the self affirmation it seems to give is 'habit forming' as their Mother found to her cost...
Old 07-31-2017, 07:21 PM
Majesty

They've said they aren't speaking again about it in public.

LaRae
Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That's not my impression.. I thougt that Harry and Will had said that they were not happy about walking in the funeral and felt that it should not have been asked of them.. at least that harry certainly said that.
Harry said something about it in a different interview, not in the documentary. And he has a right to say what he feels about something he experienced.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Nobility

"Candid Princess Diana tapes to be shown in UK, despite protests:

Candid Princess Diana tapes to be shown in UK despite protests - CNN.com
Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Rosa Monckton, a friend of the princess, told the Guardian newspaper that the tapes should not be shown and instead be handed to Princess Diana's sons Prince Harry and Prince William.....

I'm with her on this one.

LaRae
Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
. . . . . All I will say is in 2017 the idea of good breeding and good blood is extremely out of date.
Quite right! However, good manners are never out of date.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Harry said something about it in a different interview, not in the documentary. And he has a right to say what he feels about something he experienced.
yes of course he does, and then others are free to put their own interpretation on what he said... and to criticise him if they wish.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I give in. When one is wilfully determined to skew a post to suit their point of view it becomes evident that denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
you really think that a child would be "blithe" or "happy" at the idea of walking in his mother's funeral procession?
Old 08-05-2017, 04:27 AM
Majesty

Diana's private photo collection

Diana her unseen photo album | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Majesty

They always get it wrong about the horses...she was not afraid of horses she broke her arm as a kid on her pony and that made her nervous about riding again, that doesn't mean she was afraid of them.

LaRae
Old 08-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

WEll perhaps not afraid of horses per se but she was certainly afraid of riding them. So it is in essence not enjoying a sport that most royals enjoy.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Majesty

Yes she was fearful of riding ...which is not the same thing as fearing horses. It is a distinction often gotten wrong. Sloppy writing/reporting.

LaRae
Old 08-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Story of Diana: Part One- Airs Tonight at 9pm on ABC
Princess Diana's brother says she 'would have been the best grandmother ever'

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Adorable Princess Diana pictured in cute childhood photos

Young *Diana in pictures: Adorable photos of young Princess of Wales | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

THE Royal family sent money for a new prosthesis for a land mine victim of the Bosnian war after Diana died, fulfilling the wishes of the late princess.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...e-Royal-family
Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Part Two of The Story of Diana airs tonight at 8pm on ABC:
Watch The Story of Diana - Princess Diana Documentary 2017 - ABC.com

I was surprised to see Prince Charles's former girlfriend, Jane Ward, commenting in the documentary. We have rarely seen or heard from her.

A.W. TOZER