The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Princess Caroline and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #321  
Old 05-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Thecia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere, Spain
Posts: 503
I thought about that too. Maybe it's intentional on Ernst's part? I mean, it's pretty obvious that Ernst knew that he and the "other woman" were being photographed, as it was with the photos of Ernst and Caroline in Thailand. It's odd really - and more than a little confusing.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 05-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Thecia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere, Spain
Posts: 503
Another report about Ernst and Caroline's apparent impending divorce here. All rehashed stuff but I thought it couldn't hurt. Hopefully sometime soon they'll either be conclusively proven or disproven.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 PM
selket's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bryn mawr, United States
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Maybe they got married because of her pregnancy. You know, another child born out of the wedlock, daddy Rainier was ill enough to have another headhache...
Yes, that's what I meant .
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 45
Rainier's mother was born "out of wedlock", his sister and his youngest daughter both had 3 children born "out of wedlock" , his son has 2 children born "out of wedlock"....yet Caro got married twice whilst pregnant......talk about spoiling the family image...

I do not think she will divorce Ernst - after all she's such a devout Catholic
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 06-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,457
I always felt like PC got pregnant on purpose as a politcal protest against the constitutional requirement that her father had to approve her marriages. She always got married immediately afterwards and it gave her leverage to have her own way. With Stephanie it was just wildness. I am guessing with Ernst she wants him to make the first move because she is Catholic.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 PM
lazuli's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBee View Post
Rainier's mother was born "out of wedlock", his sister and his youngest daughter both had 3 children born "out of wedlock" , his son has 2 children born "out of wedlock"....yet Caro got married twice whilst pregnant......talk about spoiling the family image...

I do not think she will divorce Ernst - after all she's such a devout Catholic
But that didn´t stop her from divorcing Junot and from asking the Catholic Church for rhe anullation of the marrige. Besides, her third wedding is only a civil one, not a religious one... ( I'm not even sure that Alexandra was baptised in her mother's catholic faith ) so, i don't think that her religious believes would be impeditive if she really, really, really wanted to divorce Ernst.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Thecia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere, Spain
Posts: 503
Caroline's beliefs could impede things if she still believes what she said all those years ago when she divorced Junot - that Catholics don't get divorced, they make it work. It was her mother Grace who spurred her to divorce Junot. I doubt she would have done it otherwise. She would have been too... how can I say this nicely? "Dewy-eyed" about marriage? Or at least the Catholic practice of it. However, you're right that their marriage is only a civil one. Caroline did have to seek special dispensation to marry a Protestant but their ceremony wasn't even remotely religious I don't think. Except for the celebrant doing the whole "By the power invested in me..." thing.
Perhaps she just likes it the way it is? They can both be free to live their lives the way they want (withing certain boundaries of course) and have the benefits of still being married to each other (though the gossip would get me ). That's what I'd guess. That now that they're not near each other, it doesn't bother them as much and they're content with the way it is. Of course I could be wrong.
And for the record, no, Alexandra isn't a Catholic. She was baptised and raised in the Protestant faith so that she could retain her succession to the British throne. She attends Catholic mass all the time though. She went to a Catholic Easter mass last year. As long as she doesn't take communion, it's all good.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 06-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Nathalie Cox's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: in a corner of ..., Argentina
Posts: 2,698
Why would they need to divorce? All the papers they have to sign...
I think they are good as they are now. Only if one of the parts wants re-marry, then i would understand the needing of the divorce.
__________________
* * The eyes are the mirror of the soul* *
The Impossible is what the mind can not imagine ...
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,457
Alexandra must be Catholic otherwise she couldn't be 5th in line to Monaco's throne. Who would want to be 300th when they could be 5th. In fact, she can't really be in line for the Engliish throne because you have to be English.
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 07-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Thecia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere, Spain
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Alexandra must be Catholic otherwise she couldn't be 5th in line to Monaco's throne. Who would want to be 300th when they could be 5th. In fact, she can't really be in line for the Engliish throne because you have to be English.
Religion has nothing to do with eligibility for the Monegasque throne. The only prerequisite for being in line to the throne is having Monegasque nationality, which Alexandra has.
And for the record, you don't have to be English to be in line for the British throne. There are literally thousands of people in line for the British throne and hardly any of them are English. Much more of them are from central Europe - Germans in particular. The Norwegian, Romanian, Yugoslavian, Swedish and Greek royal families are in line for the British throne. The Spanish royal family would be too were they not Catholic. In fact, the only thing that stops you from being in line to the British throne (apart from birth, of course) is "professing the Catholic faith". You are excluded should be be a Catholic, become a Catholic or marry a Catholic. Which is why Ernst was excluded. It's why Prince Michael was excluded. But both of them decided to raise their children Protestant so that they would keep their place in succession.
So when Alexandra was born, they had a choice - raise Alex Catholic, and have her in line for succession for only one throne or raise her Protestant and have her in line for succession for two thrones. I know which one I'd choose.
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Alexandra must be Catholic otherwise she couldn't be 5th in line to Monaco's throne. Who would want to be 300th when they could be 5th. In fact, she can't really be in line for the Engliish throne because you have to be English.
No on both counts.
You don't have to catholic to be in line for the Monaco Throne. That is not a requirment.
Also the line of succesion for the british throne depends on male premogeniture, and the royal you are descended from.
It has nothing to do with whether you are english or not.
It contains the royals from all over Europe as has been said they only exclude Catholic royals, which is presumably why they raised Alexandra as a protestant.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
True, you do not have to be Catholic to be in the line of Succession for Monaco...but once on the the throne you have to accept the Catholic Faith and take the Grimaldi name and Coat of Arms, according to the Constitution.

A bit like Henri of Navarre in the 16th century...he was the Protestant King of Navarre, who, once he succeeded to throne of France embraced Catholicism before he could be crowned.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 07-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ***** *****, United States
Posts: 369
The Requirements according to the constitiution to gain rights to the throne in Monaco:
1. The Grimaldi name (or willingness to take it upon succuession...example: if Andy or Pierre were to succeed Albert, they would have to drop "Casiraghi" in favor of "Grimaldi") (Article 1)
2. No one can marry without the authorization of the Prince. A marriage contracted without such authorization results in a loss of all rights to the Crown for the individual who contracted the marriage as well as for his descendants. However, in case of dissolution of the marriage and in the absence of any issue from it, the heir who had contracted that marriage shall recover his right to the Crown if no succession took place in the meantime.
(Article 3)
3. One must have Monegasque citizenship at the time of succession.
4. The prince can abdicate. The heir (apparent or presumptive) is called Hereditary Prince. The hereditary prince can renounce his rights in writing.
5. One must be a legitimate direct descendant of the reigning Prince.

Nothing about religion whatsoever in the Constitution.
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,502
Very helpful, thanks ..... and perhaps it will clarify things in posters' minds.

I would have added that "Prince" Ernst-August received a courtesy title only from Queen Elizabeth II, as a favour, so to speak.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Horseygal's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 1,173
Clearly, the marriage is over.....Ernst striking it down with his very public affair (allowing himself to be photographed). They may be staying together for Princess Alex, but maybe as she gets older (or, when she goes off to college), they may decide to make their divorce official. It seemed to me that when they got together, it was more than just because Caroline got pregnant - they seemed to have a loving relationship (which included their children). I don't believe there is any chance they will get back together - even for Alex's sake.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygal View Post
Clearly, the marriage is over.....Ernst striking it down with his very public affair (allowing himself to be photographed). They may be staying together for Princess Alex, but maybe as she gets older (or, when she goes off to college), they may decide to make their divorce official. It seemed to me that when they got together, it was more than just because Caroline got pregnant - they seemed to have a loving relationship (which included their children). I don't believe there is any chance they will get back together - even for Alex's sake.
IMO they should clarify their situation before Albert's wedding. Caroline, still supposed to be married to EA will appear single in her brother's wedding??? Even for the MRF legendary hypocrisy and seek of secrecy... is TOO MUCH!
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Horseygal's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 1,173
Yes, Fandesacs2003 - it would certainly be strange if Princess Caro is there with a date or escort....not her current husband!! Although, I would be happy for her - she deserves to move on. Is the a protocol issue for the Principality for her not to clarify her situation before Prince Albert's wedding?
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
^I don't know about protocol but I think it would be in very good taste to have it resolved. Because Ernst just dropped off the face of the planet. Caroline has a right to privacy, but I agree with Fandes, because there is no violation of privacy just to have a simple one-sentence release from the Palace, stating that the Hannovers decided to separate and go their separate ways, with maybe a second sentence to say that the ex-couple wish to keep things private and cordial for the sake of their daughter. Period. There it is. Clean and simple. I don't know why it can't be done before the wedding. So that ends any speculation as to whether Ernst goes or not.

Sometimes the royals make things much too complicated. Just get on with it already and stop whining.
You are fully fully right.

As regards the reason of not saying nothing, for me there are 2 possibilities:
either
1. The Monaco's have always loved to hide obvious thinks.
- When Princess Grace had her accident with Stephanie, the first announcement said that mother and daughther were ok, and they returned at the Palace!!!!!! We all know what was the issue!
- When Prince Rainier was sick for years, and every time he was at hospital the Palace was announcing heart and respiratory unsufficiency! He passed away, and the word cancer has never been pronounced!
- and other examples of same style.
or
2. One of the two concerned parts (EA or Caro) still hopes that the other part will change his/her mind
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 PM
selket's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bryn mawr, United States
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
- When Prince Rainier was sick for years, and every time he was at hospital the Palace was announcing heart and respiratory unsufficiency! He passed away, and the word cancer has never been pronounced!
- and other examples of same style.
Prince Rainier had cancer?! I had no idea. Which would support your point.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Thecia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere, Spain
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
You are fully fully right.

As regards the reason of not saying nothing, for me there are 2 possibilities:
either
1. The Monaco's have always loved to hide obvious thinks.
2. One of the two concerned parts (EA or Caro) still hopes that the other part will change his/her mind
If either of them want the other one to change their mind, I'd bet a good amount of money that it would be Ernst. Caroline strikes me as a "Leave them in the rear view mirror" type of chick. Although, I did hear a rumour (and I stress the rumour part) that Caroline didn't really want to divorce Ernst and wanted him back. That was before the New Year though.
I do agree, however, that the Palace has never been particularly good at acknowledging what was fair smack in front of them. They're very good at ignoring things in plain sight. Another example was when Caroline married Ernst, if I recall correctly that Palace denied that she was pregnant at the time of their wedding, even though six months later a very full term looking Alexandra arrived. And the recent denying of the rumours that Caroline and Ernst had separated (they called them "completely false and baseless") even though it's now over a year later and we've yet to see them in public or hear of them being seen together (okay, so they sent an email to the Chancellor of Austria congratulating him on his 50th - that doesn't really count). And we mustn't forget the Thailand photos. So the Palace has a track record of taking the offensive, or staying silent, even though what is occurring is obvious to others.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Caroline & Prince Ernst August Current Events Part 16 Zonk Princess Caroline and Family 167 01-19-2010 03:53 AM
Princess Caroline & Prince Ernst August Current Events 13 : May 2006 - Jan.2007 tbhrc Current Events Archive 201 01-16-2007 04:01 AM
Princess Caroline & Prince Ernst August Current Events 10 : Nov.2005 - Jan.2006 Gabriella Current Events Archive 239 01-27-2006 12:35 PM
Princess Caroline & Prince Ernst August Current Events 2: Nov.2003 Josefine Current Events Archive 175 11-24-2003 10:22 AM
Princess Caroline & Prince Ernst August Current Events 1: Oct.2002 - Nov.2003 Annie Current Events Archive 152 11-03-2003 12:08 AM




Popular Tags
andrew scott cooper ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coronation coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events dictatorship duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy murder new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 october and november 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mette-marit fashion and style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises