Prince William: Visit to New Zealand and Australia - January 17-21, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He reminds me so much of his mother yet I can see quite a bit of his father in him as well.

All points to good news there. In terms of maintaining the Constitutional security of The Commonwealth of Australia. He, HRH William of Wales, is a fine mix of both of his parents there.

Here's another link to his speech in Australia from YouTube.
:clap: He has improved so much. He sounds really good! It's nice that he mentions Haiti too.
I noticed there are many Aussies on this forum. Did anyone have a chance to go see Prince William? Warren? I wasn't able to as I don't live near the areas he went to. I really wish I could've seen him though.

Last edited by a moderator:
He reminds me so much of his mother yet I can see quite a bit of his father in him as well.

I notice that too. I think William does write his speeches himself, although I'm sure someone polishes them, because there were certain ways he had of phrasing things that somehow reminded me of Princess Diana. He really does seem to have a bit of her ease with people, which I think is a good thing for the monarchy.

Also, kudos to William for learning to enunciate! I could actually understand almost everything he said, which I couldn't say in the past.

I noticed there are many Aussies on this forum. Did anyone have a chance to go see Prince William? Warren? I wasn't able to as I don't live near the areas he went to. I really wish I could've seen him though.

I live in NSW up near the Queensland border. I thought I would be in Sydney last week and if I had been I might have made an effort to try and see him, but my plans changed. He seems to have done a good job on the tour though. He seems like a charming, likeable chap, and has been working on his public speaking and moving on with his POW-in-waiting training.

:previous: It is a positive article by an Australian actor published in the British press. It is a nice one, though. :flowers:

(The reason I am not using contractions is I cannot use apostophes when typing replies here. Every time I press the apostrophe key I call up "Quick find - links only". I can, however, use inverted commas, which is the same key but with shift. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/22/prince-william-new-zealand-australia

"He was charming, empathetic, approachable and informal. He smiled and told jokes, he listened seriously and engaged with what people told him, he was clearly moved by the victims of the bushfires and he asked serious questions, beyond the "Do you come here often?" that so many of the royals use as a substitute for conversation."

:previous: It is a positive article by an Australian actor published in the British press. It is a nice one, though. :flowers:

(The reason I am not using contractions is I cannot use apostophes when typing replies here. Every time I press the apostrophe key I call up "Quick find - links only". I can, however, use inverted commas, which is the same key but with shift. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?)
I stand corrected. :flowers:

A wonderful photo, you could make the line about "Conducting the affairs of state with a steady hand". Alas I will refrain from doing so, until those times become an actuality.

Though I´m very happy for Prince William and the monarchy that his trip to these 2 countries was so well received, it still leaves me puzzeled that a young prince, not even next in line, is more popular than the actual monarch! It´s sad to see that you only seem to get any credit when you´re young and when being old you´re almost "forgotten"... Remember the thunderous, almost hysterical welcome the young Queen got after she visited Australia after the coronation! She´s still the same person, but today only the staunchest of australian royalists would show up for her.
And I´m very sorry for the Prince of Wales. He seems to remain completely underestimated! I mean, his sons are not only a product of influence of their mother, but also of him! But to most people, the 2 princes are only "Diana´s sons"....

Quite correct, but soon enough William will be pronounced dull and boring and there will be clamour for his handsome/pretty son or daughter as "the future of the monarchy".
Superficiality rules, the new is the now, substance counts for little. So it goes.

Last edited:
I think that's why it's important that Buckingham Palace makes use of William while he's still fairly young and popular.

The Queen was popular here when she was young and beautiful with a handsome husband.

In the 70s Charles was popular - the new young hip generation of royal and then he married and Diana was young and pretty and popular.

Now it is William.

By the time William becomes King it will be his children or even grandchildren who are popular as he will be old.

The headlines we are now seeing about William are the same ones we saw in the 70s about Charles.

I think you would find that the Queen remains popular even though she and her handsome husband are elderly. The people are all afire to see William. It's just the one in between who is less than enthusiatically received.

I concur with this assessment, scooter. When "the one in between" was here, I didn't hear anyone mention the visit except for the news media.

I think you would find that the Queen remains popular even though she and her handsome husband are elderly. The people are all afire to see William. It's just the one in between who is less than enthusiatically received.

I think the Queen is still popular. Even among people who don't support the monarchy, you rarely hear a bad word about the Queen. She is respected for her integrity and devotion to duty, and now even for her longevity. Because of this, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will turn out to see the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh when they come to Canada this summer--especially since they are elderly and it might be their last visit to Canada.

And I would bet that 'The fear of H1N1' wont keep the crowds away fromQEII as they did for the one in between and the wife.

And I would bet that 'The fear of H1N1' wont keep the crowds away fromQEII as they did for the one in between and the wife.

Time of year will have a huge bearing on that idea.

At the height of the flu season, when Charles and Camilla visited Canada, it was a real fear but in the height of summer, when flu isn't such a prevalent ailment, as it was here in Australia for William and as it will be in Canada for the Queen and Philip's visit, it won't be an issue.

You can't resist always having a dig at Charles and Camilla. You find any excuse to put down Charles, a fine man who has done a brilliant job as Prince of Wales.

The crowds in Canada had to deal with the cold and the hysteria about the h1n1 flu.

Had William come here last July he would have faced the same problems as people here were talking about not going out, except on essential matters, my school was almost closed, I was forced to stay at home for over two weeks with the mildest dose of the flu I have ever had (in case it was swine flu but I wasn't tested as I wasn't in a risk category for needing hospitilisation - in a normal year I wouldn't have even gone to the doctor's but the school sent me) and the resr of the hysteria around a new strain of flu.

But lets not let the facts of time of year get in the way of your tiresome tirades against a man who married the wrong woman and has since found love with the right one.

Yes, the thread is about William's visit to Australia. I don't see the need to, yet again, introduce Charles into the commentary.

We also appear to have a new naming convention: in the Royal Jewels Forum Diana became, in Scooter's elegant words "the dead first wife". Charles in this thread has become equally anonymous as "the one in between" and Camilla is "the wife". As we are adults and not children we can address the subjects of our threads by their official or first names. This relentless bitterness of yours is becoming very tiresome Scooter.

The whole Charles and Camilla debate completely aside, I don't think the fear of H1N1 really contributed to the low public turnout during Charles and Camilla's visit. In July, H1N1 was seen as a serious threat all over the world, regardless of what hemisphere you were in or whether it was flu season or not. The virus had just recently been discovered in Mexico and no one really knew much about it. But by November, when Charles and Camilla visited Canada, many people here were catching H1N1 and recovering fine, and everyone was going about their usual routines. People were realizing that H1N1 was not much worse than "regular flu", so if people had wanted to see Charles and Camilla, I doubt H1N1 would have stopped them. Just my opinion...

But I don't think you can blame Charles' treatment of Diana or relationship with Camilla or whatever for people's interest (or lack thereof) in him. It is a contributing factor--I don't agree that most people have no interest in Charles' past history because whenever I hear people mention Charles, they also tend to mention Diana and the breakdown of their marriage. But IMO the main reason Charles is seemingly not as popular as either William or the Queen is that he is middle-aged. Middle-aged is not as exciting as young, attractive and personable (William) or elderly and enduring (the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh). I'd bet that back in the 1970s, the Queen wasn't seen as very exciting, either--probably less so than she is today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else to consider is this is William's first official overseas trip and his first time back in Australia since he was a baby so that adds to the level of excitement. And yes people tend to be more interested in youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom