Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren said:
Joy, Charlotte Casiraghi and the German and Italian Princesses are Roman Catholic.
If William were to marry one of them he would immediately disqualify himself from the Line of Succession.
Isn't this just pure religious bigotry on the part of the royal family and the constitution of Great Britain? I mean the Commonwealth which includes Canada and Australia have millions of Roman Catholics. How does the BRF represent them when they single them out and discriminate against them with impunity? I really don't think Princess Caroline would ever hand her daughter Charlotte over to that family but still. This seems wrong no matter what happened 300 years ago. They could always just agree to raise the children in the Anglican Church. Why does this law still stand in the year 2006?

I really don't think Princess Caroline would ever hand her daughter Charlotte over to that family

IMO the Monagasque family are too steeped in scandal to even be considered, Catholic or not. Charlotte is quite obviously spoilt and she dresses abominably. In no way does she have the class exhibited by her mother & grandmother!!
I much prefer to see Wills with a nice, modest English girl like Kate.

Laviollette said:
Isn't this just pure religious bigotry on the part of the royal family and the constitution of Great Britain?
Without getting too far off topic the loss of the right of succession to the Throne is governed by the Act of Settlement, not by the Royal Family. The Act is an Act of Parliamant and can only be changed by the Parliamant, ie the politicians.

and George IV's daughter, Princess Charlotte, who died of the disease at childbirth.

I've never heard of that before. I think Charlotte just died of complications in childbirth and the son she was giving birth to died as well. I don't think it had anything to do with Porphyria. And what proof is there that Charlotte had porphyria at all? It's easy just to claim that people had it, but some proof or evidence should be given.

But to my mind, the biggest advantage a princess has is that despite the differences among the monarchies, she knows a bit more of what the job entails and Theodora doesn't have that. Her father was deposed so long ago she was never a princess of a ruling monarchy. In some ways, I think she may have no more idea about what it takes than any of us.

Theodora has been closely associating with royalty her whole life. Not only with the British and Greek royals, but with her cousins, aunts and uncles in the Danish and Spanish Royal Families. I'm sure she would have a MUCH better idea of what the job entails and what it takes. And Kate could exit the picture any time soon. Leaving the way clear for Theodora to make her grand entrace as William's ideal wife, Princess and Queen.:cool:

wymanda said:
IMO the Monagasque family are too steeped in scandal to even be considered, Catholic or not. Charlotte is quite obviously spoilt and she dresses abominably. In no way does she have the class exhibited by her mother & grandmother!!

Charlotte of Monaco dresses a lot better than Chelsy Davy. Kate's dress sense is nothing great IMO, but generally not terrible.

Felicia I always look forward to reading your many posts on Theodora possibly becoming Williams wife. You really are determined to marry them off arn't you :) lol

Yeah I am. I want the monarchy to be as prestigious and royal as it once was. It's time for another Princess to enter the family, and Theodora is the most suitable one. But I'd be happy with Madeleine and many others as well.

Warren said:
Without getting too far off topic the loss of the right of succession to the Throne is governed by the Act of Settlement, not by the Royal Family. The Act is an Act of Parliamant and can only be changed by the Parliamant, ie the politicians.
I understand about the Act of Settlement in 1701 and about the Parliament but why does this law still stand? Hasn't it occurred to someone that it's just plain wrong to have religious bigotry enshrined in a democratic constitution?

felicia said:
Yeah I am. I want the monarchy to be as prestigious and royal as it once was. It's time for another Princess to enter the family, and Theodora is the most suitable one. But I'd be happy with Madeleine and many others as well.

Felicia

Even though it's really all hypothetical right now, if William actually did marry Kate, would it be a total disaster?

In looking at media photos of her, she seems to have a nice dress sense.
She's had more wardrobe hits than misses, (a few misses, Pink Jacket and Flowered Dress combo for starters)
No scandals attached to her name.
She attended the very prestigious ( and expensive !) Marlborough College boarding school, so she received a very acceptable education, and she seems to be very supportive of Prince William, which I think would be extremely important.
She's also very pretty.
Other than not being of noble birth, what is so terrible about Kate?

Laviollette said:
I understand about the Act of Settlement in 1701 and about the Parliament but why does this law still stand? Hasn't it occurred to someone that it's just plain wrong to have religious bigotry enshrined in a democratic constitution?

It's not religious bigotry. It's the only way the currect royal family are the royal family - because they are heirs to the Protestant succession. For so many complicated reasons to do with politics and history it is better that they don't reverse the act of settlement. The Jacobites would feel really encouraged and who knows what could happen.

TonyaR said:
Felicia, Even though it's really all hypothetical right now, if William actually did marry Kate, would it be a total disaster? ...
Tonya R, I am not a Kate hater. Other than her total lack of royal blood and lineage (to my knowledge) and the fact she walked out in public wearing next to nothing (the see through dress scandal), there is nothing too terrible about her. It just wouldn't be much of a royal fairytale, like it would be if he married Theodora or Madeleine, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
when did she wear a see-through dress? there was that underwear modeling show thing she did once but i think that was before she was dating william. i'll bet she regrets it now.

she always dresses very appropriately imho.

it would be more a fairytale if he married theodora or madeleine but if he is going to marry a commoner i would like it to be kate since she is clearly his first serious girlfriend. that would be very romantic.

I was referring to the underwear show where she was just basically wearing a bra and underpants in full view of a crowd and cameras. And I thought she was dating William then. Anyway, if he is going to marry a commoner, then I wouldn't mind it being Kate.

felicia said:
I was referring to the underwear show where she was just basically wearing a bra and underpants in full view of a crowd and cameras. And I thought she was dating William then. Anyway, if he is going to marry a commoner, then I wouldn't mind it being Kate.
Felicia,

Considering your expressed ( and articulate ) point of view regarding Royals marrying Commoners, I take that as high praise!:flowers:

The reality is William's position as second in line to the throne and his family's wealth attract a lot of interest, regardless if the lady is of noble birth or not. That he is also good looking and not appearing to have any vices are just added bonus. "Gold diggers" are not restricted to the common folks, though the titled bluebloods would much prefer to think they are only helping to preserve the lineages.

I hope William is not in a hurry to marry. Kate seems nice, polished girl, she's educated but I'm surprised she doesn't do anything recently. I think William's future wife should be a woman not necessary 'blueblood' but for sure educated, with her own career before mariage and if she had Diana's class it would be perfect.

wymanda said:

I have to agree with you. There's been enough scandal with the BRF without bringing any other European scandal into Britain. I don't think they make Princess Grace & Queen Elizabeth's anymore in the world anymore. Those ladies knew how to dress, talk and present themselves elegantly fitting of royalty. Today's royals seem to have to mirror themselves after their peers who themselves are mirroring themselves after street thugs and rappers because times have changed from presenting oneself with class and dignity to presenting oneself as thugs, bullies and slobs. Language, appearance and proper behavior has been thrown away as virtuals of boredom and too-good to one of criminality and 'equality' type of mindset. I do long for those days that princesses wearing sundresses and dirt/hole-free clothing; and, for princes to be dressed to kill, and not necessarily in the same dirt/holes/grundge clothing.

As much as the royals would like to be 'normal' like us, they are not. We like to look up to them as they present the upper fabric of what we all would like to be. And, if they or I could not be like the upper fabric with the 'babbles' that come with it, perhaps we and them are not really cut out to be there in the first place. If I wanted to follow someone who looked and acted like my next-door neighbor, then I or society doesn't need princes and princesses. Not to offend, of course.

Presentation, with good common sense, no scandal and few vices is a great virtual to have.:)

I dont think Prince William should have a restriction on who he should marry, because i am sure if he marries a black or Indian Woman, the UK itself will not be too happy, but thats racism for you

tatare said:
I dont think Prince William should have a restriction on who he should marry, because i am sure if he marries a black or Indian Woman, the UK itself will not be too happy, but thats racism for you

Sometimes it will go beyond racism and not be racism at all. The term has become too frequently used to shame people for not wanting to marry someone not like themself or find more beauty in people that are of the same race like them. Shame on those who throw that term around and oppress those who really are not.:ermm: But, let us not talk about race. This is a forum not about such inflammatory issues.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
A chance meeting in a bar wouldn't go anywhere, he might 'fancy' this ficticious young woman but, love generally grows strong enough for marriage, over at least a few weeks or months. If they are from totally different walks of life, what would they have in common and what would they have to talk about?

Ask Crown Prince Frederick and the middle class girl he met in a bar: his wife, the former Mary Donaldson from Down Under... ;)

felicia said:
She was in a fashion show for God's sake. And I remember the designer of the outfit being proud his/her outfit was selected for the show. Second, there was nothing scandalous about that outfit. I've seen more scandal at beaches worn by people twice Kate's size wearing swimsuits half of what she wore. Or by those wearing nothing at all. Kate is a decent, well brought up and well mannered young woman who I think will make a terrific Princess/Queen some day. William could do alot worse.

HRH Kimetha said:
I have to agree with you. There's been enough scandal with the BRF without bringing any other European scandal into Britain. I don't think they make.... Queen Elizabeth's anymore in the world anymore.

By the looks of things they don't make..Princess Josephine_Charlottes (Belgium to Luxembourg), Princess Sofias (Greece to Spain), Princess Anne-Maries (Denmark to Greece), Princess Paolas (Italy to Belgium), Princess Sophies (Bavaria to Leichstentein) anymore. There princesses reinforced the dignity of the royal houses they married into, strengthening the foundation of the family in these institutions. If anything the British Royal Family more than any other royal family needs a woman now, with the right pedigree and upbringing to stop its further slide into 'dysfunctionality'. HRH Prince William of Wales must marry the right woman. Princess Theodora of Greece and Princess Madelaine are good choices.

Its so heartbreaking to see those comments,
don't you guys believe in LOVE?

Paula** said:
Its so heartbreaking to see those comments,
don't you guys believe in LOVE?

The matches in my post #528 are cemented by love as is so obvious from photos of these couples. There have been royal love matches with ladies who are not royal that have endured and is such a joy to behold, like King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia of Sweden and the Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Marie_Theresa of Luxembourg. I am sure these two ladies have put in the hard slog and their love has given them the motivation to be in there for the long haul accepting the priviledges as well as the restrictions. You don't see them forever pictured on beaches, ski slopes or 'star'-studded dinner parties. The BRF has not had that success in recent years. Prince William must choose carefully as the odds are stacked against him - being the child and grandchild of divorced couples.

Last edited:
Prince William has tough decision to make when comes his choice of a bride to become his future wife he can't make a wrong choice his first chioce must be his right chioce. He has to find a woman who can be able to have gace, good poise , posture and have a good education she also must be able carry herself well when there are pressures on her.

Jo of Palatine said:
Ask Crown Prince Frederick and the middle class girl he met in a bar: his wife, the former Mary Donaldson from Down Under... ;)

Frederick and Mary met in a bar through mutual friends. Therefore they already had some things in common.

The idea being put forward by someone at the time, that I was answering, was that a middle class girl would not be able to 'connect' with poorer people and that therefore William should be on the lookout for someone from a poorer background (my interpretation of what was being said) to make his choice acceptable to the public. The idea that he could pop into his local Tesco (or pub) and fall instantly 'in love' with the checkout girl, just isn't feasible.

Kate is a middle class girl, they studied together, have mutual friends and if the success of CP Mary is anything to go by she would make a fine Princess.
As long as they have a deep and mutual love, good luck to them.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
Frederick and Mary met in a bar through mutual friends. Therefore they already had some things in common.

I don't think you can see it that way. In the book 'Kronprinsesse Mary - fortæller til Anne Wolden-Ræthinge' the pre-wedding interviews with Mary Donaldson are published. You can find the translations here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/96917-post2.html

Mary tells about her meeting with Frederick:"I lived together with four others in a big house. It was at the time of the Olympic games in Sidney, and one of my flatmates had been invited to take a few friends along to a bar to meet some spaniards, who participated in the games."

Mary by chance joined the Australian group while Frederick by chance went with his cousin Felipe of Spain who had decided to join the Spanish group.
It was a one-time meeting, not one of a lot of meetings within a certain social circle. Mary was only acquainted with the one group, Frederick only acquainted with the other. Mary would never have met Frederick again if he had not asked her out to dinner immediately and started courting her.

What kept them together? Mary said: "Frederik and I began to converse, and we simply didn't stop talking. And that was IT! A very long conversation, which continued over a year or rather 14 month." Common grounds, indeed. In the absense of the conversation topics of "polite society" they obviously found things to really talk about.

It seems to be similar with Kate and William: they met by chance and obviously found common grounds. As it seems, they are still talking to each other and may continue so till they are both old and weathered. ;) At least I wish it for them - William's parents came from the same social background but that obviously didn't give them enough topics to talk about during their life together. I wish for William to find his sould mate, be it in a bar or someplace else. Maybe the place was the university and it has already happened.

As for the other points: I don't think that social status matters too much, as long as it is not too low. Here in Germany our society was tumbled around by the end of WWII, when lots and lots of formerly noble and rich families lost all and had to flee to the West. So here you find lots and lots of people whose ancestors had a grand past but who live perfectly ordinary lives on studying and working for their living. Each of those could easily marry "up" on getting the boss or his heiress sister. Or marrying the local prince or his visiting cousin. Probably it's different in the UK where this gigantic "Voelkerwanderung" did not happen, where society seems to be much more fixed. So I guess I subscribe to your views, as they make sense to me (apart from the Fred-Mary relationship, that is).;)

felicia said:
Charlotte of Monaco dresses a lot better than Chelsy Davy. Kate's dress sense is nothing great IMO, but generally not terrible.

A designer lable & pricetag does not make one well dressed. Take for example the "outfit" Charlotte wore to the evening engagement during her uncles enthronement ceremonies. It looked like she had left her swimsuit on underneath a mu-mu! :ohmy: :ohmy:

Jo of Palatine said:
Mary was only acquainted with the one group, Frederick only acquainted with the other.

By mutual friends I meant that someone from Mary's group of friends went to a bar and someone from Fredericks group of friends went to the same event taking them both along, not that they had met dozens of times. Clearly the friend from Mary's group knew one of the people from the Spaniards group. If they had not known these friends, if these friends had not known each other, the chances are they would never have met.

Whether it is a difference in culture, I don't know but, background is important to most people IMO. It would not be acceptable to most parents if their privately educated son or daughter married someone whose parents had made a career out of claiming benefits or someone who was constantly in and out of prison for theft.

This is the original quote I replied too and as you can see, if you read the reply in context it makes more sense.

HRHAmy said:
Anyone can take "princess classes" and learn how to act proper but would someone from a middle upper class background really connect with the poorer people of the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom