The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
It is said that her great grandmother was a former mistress to one of the King's of Great Britain(Edward VII). I believe her name was Alice. She is also a descendant of the first Duke of Richmond.
Camilla is the grand daughter of 3rd Baron Ashcombe, it is also rumoured that she is the gt grand-daughter of Edward VII:) Her family history dates back to King Robert III of Scotland.:)

Old 03-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Royal Highness

i think it's entirely possible for 2 people from totally different walks of life to have a very successful marriage. they could have lots of things in common. just because someone is wealthy and someone isn't doesn't mean they don't have things in common. they can also introduce different areas of interest for each other.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Nobility

And- money seldom buys class and NEVER buys good character. These things are present in a person regardless of their bank account.

My sister married outside of her "social circle". Yes- there were adjustments. Yes, there were transitions and a period of adjustment. However, I think her perspective only enriches her husband's perspective and vice versa.

I've travelled a lot in the UK and heard a lot of negative opinion about the British Royal Family- mostly criticism that they are completely out of touch with the reality of most "common" people.

I think that a spouse that understood this reality would be an asset- not a liability.

Eliza
Old 03-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
We are not talking about a christmas party or works event, we are talking about dinner parties, dining out, theatre trips, the opera. Knowing one anothers friends and has nothing to do with how a company runs, which very few big bosses would discuss with an employee anyway or only in a superficial way.:) I can't imagine Alan Sugar or Richard Branson having in depth talks with their employees, can you?
Funny you should mention Richard Branson, skydragon, because he was just the executive I was thinking of when I meant executives with a wide range of social contacts.

Branson is pretty well known for being a big risk-taker both with his business and in his personal life. He attracts other risk-takers and if you're not one, he doesn't have time for you. That's really the defining character of who he trusts and socializes with and he doesn't stick to his social class-he can't if he only trusts risk-takers.

The real obstacle of employers dating their employees is the appearance of nepotism espcially if the employee gets a lot of promotions but Kate doesn't work for Wills so that's not a problem in her case.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Commoner

Prince William is very popular. So, I think that if he seriously considered marrying a Roman Catholic, the law would be changed. Of course, I don't know what the public response would be.

But, as of this current time, there's no reason to bother changing the law. Parliament has more important issues to deal with.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

William has to marry a woman who has the character to handle the pressure and duty of being a future Princess of Wales and Queen Consort. Knowing all too well what his parents went through, I think he will be very cautious indeed before marrying.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeleyed
Prince William is very popular. So, I think that if he seriously considered marrying a Roman Catholic, the law would be changed. Of course, I don't know what the public response would be.

But, as of this current time, there's no reason to bother changing the law. Parliament has more important issues to deal with.
That's not going to happen. Changing the Act of Settlement would require many pieces of legislation to be passed and approval from the Crown commonwealth nations. So, if William met a Catholic, she would have to convert to the Anglican faith to marry him.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
That's not going to happen. Changing the Act of Settlement would require many pieces of legislation to be passed and approval from the Crown commonwealth nations. So, if William met a Catholic, she would have to convert to the Anglican faith to marry him.
I think he cannot marry someone who has been BORN catholic (well not born but CHRISTENED you get my point anyway) regardless she converts or not (am I right?:o )

Another question: are Camilla's children catholic? because I know her ex-husband is
Old 03-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

yes her children are catholic. They can marry someone who was born catholic and has converted.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeleyed

Pretty interesting, thats for sure..

Its ludicrous to presume that parliament would pass a law allowing a King, Prince of Wales or any member of the royal family in line to the throne, to marry a Roman Catholic and keep their place in succession. Britain is a Protestant nation by law, has been for hundreds of years and as such, this goes way beyond William, his popularity and a "possible" desire to wed a Roman Catholic. William know's what's expected of him and what's off bounds.

"MII"
Old 03-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
yes her children are catholic. They can marry someone who was born catholic and has converted.
Thanks Princejohnny25 :)
Old 03-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Funny you should mention Richard Branson, skydragon, because he was just the executive I was thinking of when I meant executives with a wide range of social contacts.

The real obstacle of employers dating their employees is the appearance of nepotism .
It isn't just about sticking to your social class, as azile1710 says, "And- money seldom buys class and NEVER buys good character".

Richard Branson mixes with people with the same business ethos that he has and that doesn't include the cashier from his local supermarket. He mixes socially with people with the same thinking towards money, I have not seen anything in the news about him popping to the nightclub with one of the cleaners at the office, have you?
No of course not, therefore his main group of friends are from the social status he has as a businessman/entrepreneur.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by azile1710
And- money seldom buys class
Very true, just because you have made a few pennies, does not mean you can buy your way up the ladder.
Quote:
My sister married outside of her "social circle". Yes- there were adjustments. Yes, there were transitions and a period of adjustment. However, I think her perspective only enriches her husband's perspective and vice versa.
It would of course depend which classes or social circle, to start with. If you compare it to business, would it be like the cleaner marrying the admin assistant, the admin assistant marrying the office manager? Even within the classes there are little and big differences.
Quote:
I've travelled a lot in the UK and heard a lot of negative opinion about the British Royal Family- mostly criticism that they are completely out of touch with the reality of most "common" people.
I read that on this board from some overseas visitors but, can find very few in the people I talk to, who live in this country, who would agree with you. Most are puzzled just who you talk to, who would say that to a total stranger. Do you ask them, do they, on the spur of the moment come out with it? Whilst all are envious of the 'escape' from the daily grind (as they see it), most are saying it about the government, not the royals.

The thing to remember is that Kate is classed as a commoner, is from a lower class than William, very few here (in the UK) have a problem with that.
It seems some on here want William to marry someone who comes from the lowest class background, for whatever reason.
It is William who will have to live with this wife, talk to her, therefore at the very least they need to have things in common and that isn't going to happen if she is from the corner shop or local cafe!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
It isn't just about sticking to your social class, as azile1710 says, "And- money seldom buys class and NEVER buys good character".

Richard Branson mixes with people with the same business ethos that he has and that doesn't include the cashier from his local supermarket. He mixes socially with people with the same thinking towards money, I have not seen anything in the news about him popping to the nightclub with one of the cleaners at the office, have you?
No of course not, therefore his main group of friends are from the social status he has as a businessman/entrepreneur.
Well if the cleaner or the cashier are into extreme sports, I wouldn't put it past him. But seriously, his hobby, extreme challenges and sports brings people from all walks of life and income levels. Its possible for a taxi driver or owner of a cleaner to participate by spending all their disposible income on their hobby.

Branson probably wouldn't meet them in their normal range of business but rather in the social network of extreme sportists. If he went out with them, the papers would find it more interesting to say Branson went out with XXX who jumped out of an airplane through a fire rather than Branson went out with a cleaner.

However, Branson is atypical for a CEO and his social class. Most CEOs aren't extreme risk-takers like he is. Phil Knight, who stepped down from Nike, is another one.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

But skydragon, you bring up a good point. Britain has traditionally had a more rigid class structure than the rest of the modern world.

I've met several Brits in New York who moved away from Britain precisely because of that. But the interesting development is that now when they go back to Britain, they complain that the old social structures are falling apart and it makes them feel uncomfortable.

They moved here in the late 70s and early 80s so a lot of time has passed since they really lived in Britain.

However, the royal family is probably the most adherent to the old social structure which is why William's dating Kate is such a surprise. I would think that if he does marry a commoner, the woman would have to be well educated and able to mix with all social and income levels even if she doesn't come from the highest level.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well if the cleaner or the cashier are into extreme sports, I wouldn't put it past him. But seriously, his hobby, extreme challenges and sports brings people from all walks of life and income levels. Its possible for a taxi driver or owner of a cleaner to participate by spending all their disposible income on their hobby.
Branson probably wouldn't meet them in their normal range of business but rather in the social network of extreme sportists. If he went out with them, the papers would find it more interesting to say Branson went out with XXX who jumped out of an airplane through a fire rather than Branson went out with a cleaner.
If it was a case of them spending their money on participation in an extreme sport, they are unlikely to be able to stay in the same hotels or eat at the same restaurants. Even sportsmen and women have their own 'class' system or social circle.

A friend used to say that he had a friend who was a bin man and that he saw him as his equal but, the moment he said that, proved that it could never be an equal friendship, because you wouldn't say I have a friend who is on an equal social footing as me.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
But skydragon, you bring up a good point. Britain has traditionally had a more rigid class structure than the rest of the modern world.

I've met several Brits in New York who moved away from Britain precisely because of that. But the interesting development is that now when they go back to Britain, they complain that the old social structures are falling apart and it makes them feel uncomfortable.

They moved here in the late 70s and early 80s so a lot of time has passed since they really lived in Britain.

However, the royal family is probably the most adherent to the old social structure which is why William's dating Kate is such a surprise. I would think that if he does marry a commoner, the woman would have to be well educated and able to mix with all social and income levels even if she doesn't come from the highest level.
Yes, I can agree with that, although I have to say it is not just the royals who adhere to the old social structures. People will always strive to move up the social ladder, with the odd one wanting to put himself across as a lower class, to be one of the people.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Commoner

Smile future queen of england ... a british girl?

hi! As you can see im new here, and my name is priscilla!:) Hope i make lots of good friends here ... Well, I particularly came here 'cause a few weeks ago i was having a chat with my friends about how might the next queen of england be ... even i did my research looking for who can Prince William marry, there was still a doubt to me ... can the future Princess of Wales be, for example, a latin girl? would you like the next queen of England to be an argentinian or mexican woman? Share your comments here! thank u!!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Nobility

Prince William most definitely can marry a Latin girl but she cannot be a Catholic. If he insists that the law be changed (we have learnt in this thread that this is an impossibility) to accomodate a girl's Catholicism then he could end up with Catholic claimants in a more senior line to his making a bid for the British throne and another constitutional crisis beckons.
I think Princess Madelaine of Sweden would be an ideal choice. What about Lady Gabriella Windsor?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by priscilla_kor
hi! As you can see im new here, and my name is priscilla!:) Hope i make lots of good friends here ... Well, I particularly came here 'cause a few weeks ago i was having a chat with my friends about how might the next queen of england be ... even i did my research looking for who can Prince William marry, there was still a doubt to me ... can the future Princess of Wales be, for example, a latin girl? would you like the next queen of England to be an argentinian or mexican woman? Share your comments here! thank u!!
Technically, it can be a girl of any nationality and race. The only requirement is religion (she can't be Roman Catholic and must convert to Anglican Church) and relatively clean past (imprisoment, for example, would most probably be a huge obstacle on her way).
However I think the majority of the British people would prefer their future Queen be a Brit or at least from a country of Commonwealth. I personally doubt that a Mexican or Argentinian or any Latin girl would be welcomed by people (with all due respect to these countries).
I am not Brit, that's why I leave it to the brits in this forum to explain their feelings about such prospective.

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Closed Thread

Tags
marriage, prince harry, prince william