The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt he'll make SA his permanent residence.
I seriously dislike the way people assume something about someone they've never met. One never knows what the future holds. Not even Chelsy and Harry. I've read posts about him marrying her and moving to SA....ummm we don't know that yet. Didn't Harry say he knows his job is to support his brother when he's king? I don't think he can support Will and be in Africa at the same time. In the meantime, I do believe he will be spending lots of time in SA, but spending a lot of time somewhere and relocating somewhere are two very different things. A lot of women relocate for their husbands or boyfriends. They uproot their entire lives...so my question is "Why can't Chelsy do the same". If she really loves Harry she could relocate and work it out.

When it comes to Harry I think we're all in for the shock of our lives.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Courtier

ah, well said crown princess 5. Mary of Denmark did it, didn't she? Grace Kelly did it! And thousands of normal women do it all the time! why cant she? all these claims of she loves him...well then do it for him, if you love him!Whats the big deal??

Old 07-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

^ Well Grace Kelly and Mary married the heirs to the thrown and each woman is different. Chelsy may want something different for herself and her future children. She may not want to subject herself to constant public intrusion for the rest of her life. She seems to be someone who takes pride in education and independence. She may marry the spare and yes, she will have more freedom than William's wife but she's also a public figure whose life will be under constant speculation.

I'm all for Chelsy and Harry but if she doesn't want to be a part of the BRF I think it's time they move on from each other. They can't drag this out forever. It's emotionally draining.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Administrator

That's pretty much where I am 4Pam.

I am all for love and if Harry and Chelsy love each other thats great and all but the realities of life are this 1) Harry is a member of the BRF 2) unless the monarchy is deposed of or Harry abdicates his position, it is what it is.

I don't imagine the monarchy disappearing any time soon nor can I imagine Harry abdicating his poition. He might hate the spotlight that goes with it but he is his father's son and he knows his responsiblities. He will never leave William by himself.

Furthermore, the British public certainly isn't going to support (via British tax dollars) a British Prince living in Africa. Now I can see him purchasing a vacation home (again with his personal money but then you would hear the usual uproar about the money from the catty crowd at the DM) in Africa (but again British tax dollars would have to pay for his security).

Hate to say it but in this instance, Chelsy is going to have to give up a lot if they are going to be together in the long run. Its not fair but it is what it is.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Oh, I agree. If Chelsy truly doesn't want to become a member of the British Royal Family and avoid press intrusion, then she needs to quit the cat and mouse game playing with Harry, and break the relationship off once and for all. Harry claims he wants to move to Africa, but it's only because Chelsy is there. He could very well marry Chelsy, but would he really give up his position as third in line to the Throne? Yes, he's a very wealthy young man thanks to his mother, but being Royal has a lot of perks also. What about all the British military training he's completed? I believe Harry loves his military life also and that would end.
So what would Harry do in Africa? Charity work and endless society parties plus the fact that the Royal Family especially the senior Royals possibly distancing themselves as this is a family that places importance on Royal Duty particularly the Queen.
I always remember an anecdote when William was very young and he stated that he didn't want to be King and Harry chimed in and said that he (Harry) would love to trade places with William, so I still can't see Harry giving up his Royal life. To me, it seems as if Harry and Chelsy are just going on "love" and have avoided the realities that face them.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Nobility

And that example shows that Harry has had a sense of duty from a young age. He showed it again in those interviews where he said he will support his brother when William is king.

History also shows us that many times, the succession to the throne has fallen to the "spare." So I think Harry understands that his place is in the UK. He can visit Africa, but he won't live there.

Of course, Princess Margaret had her vacation home in Mustique, and even Prince Charles has a vacation home in Romania, or so I've read. Harry could probably do the same with a vacation home in Zambia.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Exactly at some point when they are ready to settle down they (Harry and Chelsy) will either settle down or not.

I also think that besides being an English Prince, Harry is an English soldier. If he wasn't a royal that is what he would be 24/7. And English soldiers don't live in Africa as regular guys.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Exactly at some point when they are ready to settle down they (Harry and Chelsy) will either settle down or not.

Agreed Zonk.

I wonder if Ms Davies would turned Prince Henry down if he asked her to marry him when he is ready to give up the military life? This of course has to correspond to Chelsy being ready to settle down to royal life. I think the timing is the important factor for this relationship to survive.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Serene Highness

If Chelsy and Prince Harry got married, would she still be able to pursue her career in law? If she wasn't, then she would have to make a choice between the two, a law career or Prince Harry.

Why would Prince Harry have to give up being in the military if he married Chelsy? Prince Andrew didn't when he married Sarah Ferguson. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that he was in the Navy for over 10 years before retiring. Perhaps I'm missing something here.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Well she can keep her law career but she would also be a full time royal. And if she and Harry were to have children holding down 2 full time jobs will be difficult. She would be expected to do royal duties since she would be receiving tax payers money as a salary/allowance.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Harry wouldn't have to give up the army if he married Chelsy or anyone. But like the Yorks, Harry would also find himself away for military obligations. Call me crazy but I think Chelsy could handle it a little better than Sarah.

Its worth noting that I don't think that Chelsy could practice law full time and be a royal as well. If she decided to practice law she would have find non controversial cases so she doesn't appear to have an opinion. She would have to walk a tightrope in regards to what cases she could have.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
If Chelsy and Prince Harry got married, would she still be able to pursue her career in law? If she wasn't, then she would have to make a choice between the two, a law career or Prince Harry.
Let's look at the example of the Countess of Wessex. After marrying a prince who was 7th in line to the throne, she continued working for her public relations firm. Then she got caught saying some unflattering things on tape by a tabloid reporter. It wasn't long afterward that Edward and Sophie announced that they were giving up their careers to support the Queen during her Golden Jubilee year. Since then, they've continued to carry out public engagements. I'm sure the fact that the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret were not longer able to carry out engagements also contributed, as it would leave the palace shorthanded.

Chelsy would be marrying someone a lot closer to the throne, and if she continued to work after marrying into the royal family, she could be the target of reporters pretending to be a client in the hopes of getting something embarrassing out of her.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Majesty

Not necessarily. The Queen pays for most of the Royal Family privately. I think that only she, Prince Philip and the Princess Royal are paid by the Civil List--which is in itself paid from the income from the Crown Lands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
since she would be receiving tax payers money as a salary/allowance.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Not necessarily. The Queen pays for most of the Royal Family privately. I think that only she, Prince Philip and the Princess Royal are paid by the Civil List--which is in itself paid from the income from the Crown Lands.

The Princess Royal - like her brothers, aunt and cousins was sort of removed from the Civil List in the early 1990s. Any money she receives from the government, along with Andrew, Edward etc is repaid by the Queen from her independent income from the Duchy of Lancaster. If Anne is doing an engagement for the government, like Charles, Andrew etc she gets that paid by the government but she is otherwise supported by the Queen or from her own independent means, such as Gatcombe and the Trust Funds she inherited from her grandparents.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Majesty

Ah yes, thank you Iluvbertie. I wasn't quite sure of the Princess Royal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Princess Royal - like her brothers, aunt and cousins was sort of removed from the Civil List in the early 1990s. .
Old 07-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Yes, they are being paid by the Queen but don't forget their bodyguards are being paid by the British taxpayer. And they (I feel comfortable to speak on their behalf even though I don't pay British taxes) aren't not going to pay for British bodyguards protecting and British Prince in Africa.

They were upset the other day because they are spending 650K (adjusting for the difference between the English pound and the US dollar) to protect the Blairs. At least according to the DM and honestly, this is one article I think has a little teeth to it.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought the Queens income came from the British taxpayers as well...doesn't it?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I thought the Queens income came from the British taxpayers as well...doesn't it?
She does through the Civil List I believe.
Civil list - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some info on it.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post

The vast majority of the Queen's income comes from the Duchy of Lancaster estate. This estate, like the Duchy of Cornwall estate for Charles, provides the independent income for the monarch.

The Civil List is what is needed to cover the official expenses of her position as Head of State e.g. the salaries of her staff and the costs of State Visits etc. It isn't a salary as such.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hmm...thanks for the info LQ and Bertie.
Seeing all this info there's no way Harry could move to Africa. Unless he lives off the inheritance from Diana. All in all I doubt the British people would like that. Someone mentioned a vacation home...that's probably the smartest route to go.

Tags
chelsy davy, engagement, prince harry, security, zimbabwe