Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any credible rumours about the honeymoon location? Or have they managed to travel under the radar again? (good for them if they did!)

No..we don't even know that they are out of the country.

LaRae

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ding-doria-ragland-michael-curry-meghan-smile

This columnist goes on about Meghan's sparkly white teeth. This is not the first time I've seen a British journalist mention Meghan's "American" teeth.

A few years ago, I attended a business meeting in Manchester. My British colleagues wanted to know about my teeth, since they were apparently so straight and white. I guess it's one of those subtle differences between Americans and Brits.

I've had that conversation with Brits too! They always mention the teeth!

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had that conversation with Brits too! They always mention the teeth!

LaRae

Some poster here over the last few weeks mentions seeing pictures or wax figures of the very young Beatles, and noticing what unattractive teeth they had. I believe that they all got their teeth ‘fixed’ eventually.
I’ve noticed that HM’s teeth are noticeably brighter now than in years past.

The new Vogue UK Director is amazing and I have liked where he has taken the publication. Hope we see someone similar when Ole Wintour leaves.

I tend to take on the accents of those around me when I am anywhere for a while, unconsciously. So the first time I lived in the UK for school, about 4 months in, I had a British accent apparently. I was taking to some man on the street and he was like "what part of the states are you from?" He then informed me that he really thought I was British until I smiled and my teeth were "Creepily American Perfect" so that was how he knew I was American. My parents were thrilled to hear all the money they invested in braces and dental work were so noted lol.

So definitely a cultural difference, but Kate's are also pretty damn near perfect so its not just American Meg.

Last edited:
Yes, Americans, especially those in the forefront on TV or politicians were the first I remember seeing, but that was way, way back in the dim dark ages and we used to say we didn't like the picket fence effect. Teeth vary a little these days I think.

This is changing the topic some, but the above post made me think of this. Will Meghan's accent change? If yes, how long will it take? If it was me (from the great plains of the USA), I would already be speaking the Queen's English. I am also one who picks up regional speech patterns easily.

I hope her manner of speaking and her accent do NOT change. Mary Donaldson and Kate Middleton are subjects of ridicule to this day by posters who charge that they adopted fake posh accents soon after their engagements in an attempt to erase their plebeian backgrounds.

Can you imagine what would be written about Meghan if she changed her accent? I can. No thanks!:sad:

I am interested to see which accent(s)their children have. When the American Grace Kelly married the very Continental Prince Rainier it had mixed results.

Two of their three children(Albert and Stephanie) speak American accented English...their daughter Caroline does not.

Prince Albert sounds pretty American to me. I have no idea how it happened. Did he attend school in the US?

Meghan and Harry's kids will sound British. Meghan is pretty middle-American sounding to me, her accent is as even as her teeth (see what I did there?) and I hope she never loses it. I have to say, I have a hard time understanding Prince Charles and Harry at times. I bet she will pick up a lot of Britishisms, though.

Please don't stop saying "tomato," "aluminum," "schedule," et al, correctly, Meghan!

:previous: Yes. Albert was educated at Amherst College in Massachusetts.

As for Meghan, she talks exactly like what she is...a California girl, albeit a very intelligent and articulate one. It was a little strange hearing that type of voice out loud at St. George's but I loved it.

I really hope she does not change.

Prince Albert sounds pretty American to me. I have no idea how it happened. Did he attend school in the US?

Meghan and Harry's kids will sound British. Meghan is pretty middle-American sounding to me, her accent is as even as her teeth (see what I did there?) and I hope she never loses it. I have to say, I have a hard time understanding Prince Charles and Harry at times. I bet she will pick up a lot of Britishisms, though.

Please don't stop saying "tomato," "aluminum," "schedule," et al, correctly, Meghan!

Don't forget Jaguar!!!! LOL

LaRae

California and the Midwest sound very similar, generic American to me, although Midwestern accents are flatter and more nasal (speaking as a native Chicagoan).

What we need is a Texan to join the BRF! The coat of arms could include bluebonnets and longhorns. They could have a long-winded evangelical preacher give the "lesson." Instead of hymns, contemporary praise music! They could have the traditional fruitcake, but also a red velvet groom's cake shaped like an armadillo!

There's a big wide area that is considered the midwest. Missouri is midwest but you don't hear nasal tones here. Kansas, more similar to Missouri. Nebraska is a little different.

With all the mobility nowdays it's harder sometimes to find a specific regional accent because you have people from wherever moving around due to jobs etc.

LaRae

How do Americans say 'jaguar'?

Remember the long conversation we had in one of the threads when Meghan said 'AUnts' in the engagement interview?

How do Americans say 'jaguar'?

Remember the long conversation we had in one of the threads when Meghan said 'AUnts' in the engagement interview?

This will vary slightly by region, but I grew up saying it "jagwire." When I first heard a British person say "jag-u-are" I was had no idea what they were saying!

Meghan says "aunt" the way a lot of AA's folks do. At least in my family and where I grew up it was only AA who said it that way.

Color me isolated and dazed and confused. I never knew there were different pronunciations for jaguar. For me, its just always been jag gwar. I hail from the Motor City and a whole lot of car talk goes on there. :D

That's interesting. By and large, Aussies say Jag-u-ar or Jag-u-a.

Color me isolated and dazed and confused. I never knew there were different pronunciations for jaguar. For me, its just always been jag gwar. I hail from the Motor City and a whole lot of car talk goes on there. :D

There's a Jag commercial on TV with a Brit doing the talking...you can hear how they pronounce it on that.

It sounds like Jag-u-ah (r almost silent)

LaRae

This is how I pronounce it: jag-war.

I haven't heard many whites pronounce "awant," which is predominantly AA.

In Connecticut, but not necessarily in the rest of New England, we say ahnt.

There goes that theme tune for the Pink Panther in my head again.

(hums dead ant, dead ant, deadantdeadantdeadant) :lol:

Well, not isolated, I say jagwar, too. :D :flowers:

This is how I pronounce it: jag-war.

I haven't heard many whites pronounce "awant," which is predominantly AA.

Every one of my paternal cousins (from New England-CT, MA & NH and New York) says "Ahnt", not "Ant" and they are not AA.

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2009/09/auntie-anxiety.html

"The first (ANT) is by far the predominant American pronunciation. The second (AHNT) is common in the Northeast, some Southern dialects, and among African Americans."

Last edited:
Harry and Meghan are planning a trip to LA, according to this s tabloid

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...prince-harry-meghan-planning-los-12637501.amp

I'm surprised no Hollywood meet and greet, similar to what Will and Kate did during their LA visit.

William and Kate didn't have a 'meet and greet'. They attended a dinner being hosted by BAFTA in LA. William is the royal patron for BAFTA.

Harry is not involved with the film industry. And if he and Meghan showed up at some celebrity event in LA, there would be a lot of bad PR about how they are just rubbing elbows with celebrities and not working.

Wondering if we will see Harry and Meghan at Wimbledon and also Ascot?

LaRae

Wondering if we will see Harry and Meghan at Wimbledon and also Ascot?

LaRae

Not sure if Harry is into tennis. Meghan is so it’s possibly we could see her at Wimbledon. They might attend Royal Ascot.

I figured they would attend Wimbledon to watch Serena play at least.

Ascot I'm just hoping they will go.

LaRae

I could see Wimbledon if the schedule allows. I don't really see Meghan and Harry missing any of the big royal events this year. It would be her first and their 1st as a married couple.

Last edited:
There’s no doubt that they’ll attend the Trooping of the Colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom