The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,211
So everyone in Denmark works?

I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill or looking for a fault.

If Britt only has a bachelors...should we automatically assume that she failed to get a masters, and because of that she is a failure in life? or unemployable?

I don't think so. Is she the only person in Denmark that only has a bachelors? Does only holding a bachelor degree means that she is totally unqualified for her position as Lady in waiting?

I don't think so.

I fail to see what only holding a bachelor's degree is some kind of defect. Maybe Britt is not that scholastically ambitious...maybe she didn't want to proceed to the next level (do we have proof that she did and failed). A lot of people get a degree in one subject and later find out that they dont' want to pursue a career in that field. Myself for example, I have a bachelors in History and have always been a salesperson.
__________________

__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 PM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
II'm aware that a bachelor is the main rule in other countries but in Denmark you only take a bachelor because you failed an exam.
Really? I disagree.
__________________

__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
So everyone in Denmark works?

I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill or looking for a fault.

If Britt only has a bachelors...should we automatically assume that she failed to get a masters, and because of that she is a failure in life? or unemployable?

I don't think so. Is she the only person in Denmark that only has a bachelors? Does only holding a bachelor degree means that she is totally unqualified for her position as Lady in waiting?

I don't think so.

I fail to see what only holding a bachelor's degree is some kind of defect. Maybe Britt is not that scholastically ambitious...maybe she didn't want to proceed to the next level (do we have proof that she did and failed). A lot of people get a degree in one subject and later find out that they dont' want to pursue a career in that field. Myself for example, I have a bachelors in History and have always been a salesperson.
Obviously it is very hard for you to comprehend that in Denmark you will take the full Candidate if you possibly can manage it - because you otherwise will be competing against the majority who did take the full Candidate.

An employe will of course hire the one with the Candidate and not the Bachelor.

That is logic and has nothing to do with anything else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
So everyone in Denmark works?

I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill or looking for a fault.

If Britt only has a bachelors...should we automatically assume that she failed to get a masters, and because of that she is a failure in life? or unemployable?

I don't think so. Is she the only person in Denmark that only has a bachelors? Does only holding a bachelor degree means that she is totally unqualified for her position as Lady in waiting?

I don't think so.

I fail to see what only holding a bachelor's degree is some kind of defect. Maybe Britt is not that scholastically ambitious...maybe she didn't want to proceed to the next level (do we have proof that she did and failed). A lot of people get a degree in one subject and later find out that they dont' want to pursue a career in that field. Myself for example, I have a bachelors in History and have always been a salesperson.
How about those of us who didn't attend university? Are we completely unemployable failures?

You hit the nail, Zonk.

Come on Benedikte, you are getting in deep.

How about QMII? I don't believe she got a masters.
Yet few will question her competence.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
Well I think you are reading things into it.
Britt could have taken half an education as a mechanic and I would still say that I think an employe would hire the full educated mechanic before he engages the half educated.

I'm only pointing out logic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
Obviously it is very hard for you to comprehend that in Denmark you will take the full Candidate if you possibly can manage it - because you otherwise will be competing against the majority who did take the full Candidate.

An employe will of course hire the one with the Candidate and not the Bachelor.

That is logic and has nothing to do with anything else.
And that is a very valid point if Britt was a teacher, lawyer, social worker, doctor or held any type of position that if she were competing in a pool of candidates for a particular position ---- because she only has a bachelors and not a Masters she might not get the job. That is very true.

BUT

We are talking about her current position as Lady In waiting. Futhermore, one is making the assumption that 1) she tried to get a Masters and failed to do so and 2) she even wants a Masters.

Since we are not privvy to Britts thoughts and ultimate career goals, one shouldn't assume IMO. You've certainly made your point and pointed out (several times) the logic of your argument but I fail to see how it matters unless we know the answers to the questions that I asked.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
Perhaps you are talking about the "walking around doing nothing" job. I'm not. I am asking what she has been doing careerwise before.

As you can read in my comments.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Sternchen's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: xxx, Germany
Posts: 1,282
Zonk, to be honest, I don't know why you think this discussion is about Britt's job as L-i-W? Nobody ever said that or I must have missed it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,211
I think its been hinted at but really I think there is a problem with Marie and anyone associated with her.

But that's just my opinion of course
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-23-2010, 03:10 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
An employe will of course hire the one with the Candidate and not the Bachelor.
Ehh, no. The employer will hire the one with the best qualifications. That doesn´t necessarily means the one with Candidate-degree. It could be the Bachelordegree.
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,804
Why do you play with Benedikte? She is obviously not interested in information that have a source which can be given. She wants to state her opinions as facts.

That's not okay with me. She can't give any backup for things she claims except generalisms about how things are in Denmark as she sees it.

Mrs. Siesbye is probably a very private person. So we don't know that much about her education. Does that makes it alright to "state" that she doesn't have a higher education? That she was not able to get a job because of that?

If I was Mrs. Siesbye I would be hurt by such comments. Feel slandered.
So who is this Benedikte person who says things like that without trying to prove them and to gather facts?

Doesn't the "real" person, even if she doesn't read this forum, have a much higher right to be protected from bad mouthing or innuendos than a more or less anonymous "member" who secure in privateness talks in a negative way about somebody else?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento, United States
Posts: 92
I'd like to know what Marie ever did to this Benedikte- maybe she took Joachim away from her, or is it just total envy and jealousy?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,211
Okay..let's not attack her personally.

She has a right to express her opinion in a civil manner (which she is doing) just like we have a right her to question her blanket statements in a civil manner (which we are doing).
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingnana View Post
I'd like to know what Marie ever did to this Benedikte- maybe she took Joachim away from her, or is it just total envy and jealousy?
Well

I think your statements are very uncivilized.

And I will point out that my remarks should not be understood wrongly.

I'm not stating that Marie or Britt or anyone else are dumb persons because they failed an exam.

Of course you are not a dumb person if you failed an exam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Why do you play with Benedikte? She is obviously not interested in information that have a source which can be given. She wants to state her opinions as facts.

That's not okay with me. She can't give any backup for things she claims except generalisms about how things are in Denmark as she sees it.

Mrs. Siesbye is probably a very private person. So we don't know that much about her education. Does that makes it alright to "state" that she doesn't have a higher education? That she was not able to get a job because of that?

If I was Mrs. Siesbye I would be hurt by such comments. Feel slandered.
So who is this Benedikte person who says things like that without trying to prove them and to gather facts?

Doesn't the "real" person, even if she doesn't read this forum, have a much higher right to be protected from bad mouthing or innuendos than a more or less anonymous "member" who secure in privateness talks in a negative way about somebody else?
Remember I didn't say anything about Britt being a bachelor.

And it is pure logic that you will take the full education if you can manage it. Thats the case for men in general and it is the case for both men and women in Denmark.

And it is pure logic that an employer will prefer the one with the full education rather than the one with the half education.

How do you want me to prove this?

Do you want me to prove that the earth is round too?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
And it is pure logic that an employer will prefer the one with the full education rather than the one with the half education.
Perhaps to you it´s pure logic, but I have proves for just the opposite. That persons very capable of taking the candidate-degree didn´t but got a job instead and in front of a person with a candidate-degree.

I have even proves of persons without any exams at all after highschool are holding a job that you would only dream of - even if you have a candidate-degree.
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Perhaps to you it´s pure logic, but I have proves for just the opposite. That persons very capable of taking the candidate-degree didn´t but got a job instead and in front of a person with a candidate-degree.

I have even proves of persons without any exams at all after highschool are holding a job that you would only dream of - even if you have a candidate-degree.
Actually I have a better job than I have ever dreamed of.

I'm sorry to say - but it is impossibly to know if some one could achieve a degree when the haven't actually taken it.

I know of very intelligent persons who has failed exams.

That is a very big surprise for me that a company preferred a person in front of a person with a degree unless the job was suited for a non academic person.

Am I supposed to scream for evidence and accuse you of lying at this point of the debate?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-25-2010, 04:28 PM
nwinther's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Varde, Denmark
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I fail to see what only holding a bachelor's degree is some kind of defect. Maybe Britt is not that scholastically ambitious...maybe she didn't want to proceed to the next level (do we have proof that she did and failed). A lot of people get a degree in one subject and later find out that they dont' want to pursue a career in that field. Myself for example, I have a bachelors in History and have always been a salesperson.
Benedikte is not much wrong. If you apply for a job in Denmark that requires a university degree (or heaps of experience) few bachelors make it through the first round. It's simply the norm in Denmark that if you want to say you've finished university, you don't mean a bachelor, but the bachelor AND the masters. An analog could be not finishing high-school in the US. While it may not be a defect having been a freshman, sophmore and a junior, it's finishing the senior year that really counts, no?

But I agree - a bachelor is not a "defect" and it doesn't make you unemployable - it will raise eyebrows however. It'll be a common question, especially from other graduates, why you haven's "finished" university? (i.e. you weren't clever enough). Another matter is, does it take any degree to be a LiW? Personally, I'd assume it takes entirely different qualities than academic ones. Personal qualifications for instance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-25-2010, 05:48 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 18,593
Well, bachelor or not, her LIW does not require a degree for this job. A few private lessons on how to handle stuff in public I would assume & what to expect on the job.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 242
Crown Princess Mary "only" has an undergraduate degree. I think we all agree that she is well-qualified for the job of future Queen. So how on Earth could "only having an undergraduate degree" not qualify someone to be a lady-in-waiting? Please folks - it's all about capabilities, not paper qualifications!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal View Post
Crown Princess Mary "only" has an undergraduate degree. I think we all agree that she is well-qualified for the job of future Queen. So how on Earth could "only having an undergraduate degree" not qualify someone to be a lady-in-waiting? Please folks - it's all about capabilities, not paper qualifications!
No one is wondering why a person from another country than Denmark has a bachelor. In a lot of countrys the bachelor will be the full education.

But when you are danish and have achieved a bachelor in Denmark it will often be because you failed an exam. Because in Denmark you will take the full education if you possibly can manage it. A bachelor is not a full education in Denmark that is.

I'm not thinking Britt is not capable of doing the job as LIW. On the contraory I think she will make a good LIW.

Marie and Britt has got a lot in common and will have a jolly good time supporting skiing and so on.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Princess Mary's Ladies-in-Waiting Jasl Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family 402 09-10-2014 01:40 PM
Family of Maria de Salinas, Lady-in-Waiting to Catalina de Aragon ysbel Spanish Royal History 14 01-17-2013 10:12 AM
Patronages of Prince Joachim & Princess Marie dazzling Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 1 09-10-2009 05:29 PM
lady in waiting rosalyn Crown Prince Haakon & Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 7 03-25-2007 05:43 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]