The Family of Crown Princess Mary - The Donaldsons

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Judging from the quality of the photos (and the photos themselves... Who would give these to a magazine??) they're just taken from facebook or instagram. It's humbling in a way to see Mary's background. She's gone through such a transformation! To make royalty shine and inspire a lot of the everyday life (that we all share) has to be hidden. They do it well in Denmark ! :flowers:

:previous: Here you go. About the strong bond in the Donaldson family:
Meet Princess Mary’s Australian family | Woman's Day

I had a chance to check out the magazine today and this is actually a four-page feature.

Lots of photos of different family members I hadn't seen before.

I don't think CP Mary's family has been covered in such a big "spread" as this before in any of our magazines.

(As a family I mean. Much bigger than when Jane and Patricia were supporting cancer research fund-raising etc.)

Last edited:
Amidst all this, many things can be said to have happened but sound administration was not necessarily one of them. For that, there was one person to whom you turned, and that person was Etta Donaldson – mother of Princess Mary. In the Mad Man-ish world that then prevailed, Etta, the Vice Chancellor’s secretary, from a small alcove off the VC’s vast office, armed only with an IBM Selectric typewriter and a not inconsiderable charm, was reputed to run the university.
nocookies | The Mercury

Now the family Donaldson can enjoy Christmas time this whole month of December, I came across this article from when Mary and Frederik spent Christmas at home in Denmark with Mary's family in 2010.

BT jumped into John Donaldson while he was on a walk in inner Copenhagen in the day after Christmas Eve.

BT asked him: What gave you the Crown Princess for Christmas?

- We just gave each other love, he replied with a smile, before he hurried on.

I love the Donaldson family :D

Det fik Mary i julegave af farmand - Royale | www.bt.dk

:previous:

Thanks Muhler.

Nice how her family in that way helps and supports Mary's work.

I have read that it's Mary's father who selects the recipients of the Crown Princess Mary scholarships.

Susan Moody had an unpleasant experience last weekend.
Marys stedmor i voldsom ulykke: Jeg troede vi skulle dø

She was on the train from Norwich to London when she and a fellow-author heard up front.

"Suddenly a violent and terrifying crash was heard. My first thought was that an explosion had occurred in the driver's cabin., the next that it was a terrorist-bomb, my third, as the train came to a wobbling, shaking and screaming halt, was that now we were all to die in a huge jumble steel and broken glass.
People screamed and large objects few close past the windows of the train.
The rescue-crew was there within fifteen minutes or less ane everyone was very kind and comforted us as best as they could".

It turns out that a tractor had driven onto the rails.
No one from the train was injured, but driver of the tractor...

"I hope I will be able to use this event in a book".

A couple of days later Susan Moody received 50 £ and vouchers from the train company as compensations for the experience.

You can read about on Susan Moody's Facebook page.

I care a lot about the family of Princess Mary. I wonder how many siblings has the father and the mother of Mary. It is a curiosity that I have.

Mary's family are in Denmark :wub:

Her&Nu (out on the street today) brings pictures of big smiling Jane Stephens in sunny Denmark. Jane attended the 'World Rowing Masters Regatta 2016' which took place in Bagsværd (near Copenhagen) in the previous week.

Jane combined it of cause to visit her sister, and Jane tells she lives with Mary and Frederik at Frederik VII's palace.

"We are all in Denmark to celebrate our father, who turned 75 years on September the 5th," says a happy Jane to Her&Nu.

"Even trough I'm often here in Denmark, it is just great every time."

BT could last week tells that also Mary's brother, John Donaldson, was seen with Crown Prince Frederik to a Danish concert.

So at any rate both Mary's father, John Donaldson and Susan, Mary's sister and brother, Jane and John are here.

Lovely for Mary.

(It's Her&Nu's frontpage, so I guess they put it online in some days...)

:previous: How nice to read. That they were able to spend some time together. I believe princess Benedikte, as patron, was also at the Rowing regatta.
When I read that Frederik had gone to the concert with Mary's brother John, I assumed more of the Donaldson family were in town. Must be nice for Mary/Frederik and kids for Mary's family to visit

Mary's family are in Denmark :wub:

Her&Nu (out on the street today) brings pictures of big smiling Jane Stephens in sunny Denmark. Jane attended the 'World Rowing Masters Regatta 2016' which took place in Bagsværd (near Copenhagen) in the previous week.

So at any rate both Mary's father, John Donaldson and Susan, Mary's sister and brother, Jane and John are here.

At least they were in Denmark.
John Donaldson's birthday, the rowing regatta and the concert with Mary's brother all took place two weeks ago, but I guess they wouldn't travel to Denmark for just a few days.

Interesting, that Jane says, that she is "often" in Denmark.
I think there are lots of visits from Australia, friends and family, that we don't know of. Which is good, of course.

At least they were in Denmark.
John Donaldson's birthday, the rowing regatta and the concert with Mary's brother all took place two weeks ago, but I guess they wouldn't travel to Denmark for just a few days.

Interesting, that Jane says, that she is "often" in Denmark.
I think there are lots of visits from Australia, friends and family, that we don't know of. Which is good, of course.

Mary's father and sister were at an event with the Queen today
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...6555039034f4456925b1ccde4b2.jpg?itok=yFtuLQOI
VIDEO: Dronning Margrethe åbnede sine egne pulterrum | BILLED-BLADET

Last edited:
(..)
Last night arrived a big smiling Queen Margrethe, side by side, with Crown Princess Mary's father and sister, John Donaldson and Jane Stephens, for the opening of the exhibition at the Amalienborg Museum.

Crown Princess Mary's father, sister and brother have been in Denmark for 3 weeks now, where they all have celebrated Princess Mary's father, John Donaldson, 75th birthday d. September 5, says Jane.

Jane says further that although they are often here in Denmark at their little sister, so they enjoy it to the fully each time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the pictures, Polyesco :flowers:

Oh I like the Donaldson's so very well !

Well what don't you like about the Mary Donaldson universe, Roskilde? ;)

May I ask what Elisabeth Buchwald's role is in this interesting exhibition?

Also interesting to see that Jane got to go through her little sister's wardrobe and have a pick! : Mary from the start: Kræftens Bekæmpelses solkampagne

Well, it saves weight when flying if you can fit baby-sis clothes I guess. :p

Elisabeth Buchwald helped QMII in selecting the pieces and present them in a way that would be most interesting to the general public.
There are no doubt items that means a lot to QMII/DRF and probably has an interesting story as well, but would be pretty meaningless and uninteresting to those who come to see the exhibition.

Because they weren't in DK?

Perhaps the Queen doesn't like them.

Or perhaps they are not in Denmark at this time, which is more the real reason I think.

Last edited:
PH wasn't there either.

The most likely explanation is that QMII while having a chat with the Donaldson's simply invited them to come along. And you don't say no to a Majesty...
Apart from the fact that Jane and John Donaldson may actually have liked to come along.
So IMO no big deal.

And personally I wouldn't turn down a tour of that exhibition with QMII as a very lively guide. ;)

I remember seeing a strange (possibly FB) post by Mary's brother about a trip(?) that she "who could not be named" would not be attending.
It looked legit, and if so so great to see the Ds gathering forces again.

I can't imagine how you would cope/deal with a daughter/sibling being thrust into such a public figure life style on the other side of the world!

:previous: I remember that one. It was a fake post.

The details are discussed here somewhere.

Well, it saves weight when flying if you can fit baby-sis clothes I guess. :p

Elisabeth Buchwald helped QMII in selecting the pieces and present them in a way that would be most interesting to the general public.
There are no doubt items that means a lot to QMII/DRF and probably has an interesting story as well, but would be pretty meaningless and uninteresting to those who come to see the exhibition.

Thank you, Muhler. Is Elisabeth Buchwald familiar with curating exhibitions - profesionnally? Or was it more like a friend helping out?

Did anyone else notice John D. has lost quite a bit of weight? He's really aged but then again, that's probably because I still have the John Donaldson of the time of his daughter's wedding in mind... And we've all aged since then of course :lol:

PS I guess Jane will be flying home with an extra suitcase. The perks of having a royal sister, haha. Both Jane and Patricia are very toned and athletic like Mary, so they can easily wear the same clothes I guess.

Last edited:
She's professional.

And yes, I've noticed it too. Quite a weight-loss actually.

Isn't it Jane who is a kind of reserve-mother for Mary? I believe she mentioned their special relationship once. - Or perhaps I just dreamed it. :p

PH wasn't there either.

The most likely explanation is that QMII while having a chat with the Donaldson's simply invited them to come along. And you don't say no to a Majesty...
Apart from the fact that Jane and John Donaldson may actually have liked to come along.
So IMO no big deal.

And personally I wouldn't turn down a tour of that exhibition with QMII as a very lively guide. ;)

Neither would I turn down such an invitation, Muhler!:flowers: Another notable absence for me during this family excursion was the wife of John Donaldson, Susan ....(I have forgotten her last name) Did I miss seeing her in the pictures shared publicly or did she perhaps not come to Denmark?

Back
Top Bottom