The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
Why would the Danish crown prince couple name their child after Cleopatra's daughter? She was an Egyptian queen of Greek descent...no Danish ties there.

for den lillepig:
Anna Catharina Helene Mary
Charlotte Johanne Lovisa Mary

for den lilledreng:
Christoffer William Andre Alexander
Johan Alexander Frederik RenÚ
Allow me a minor correction:

There is no equivalent to "the" in Danish, except in some dialects.
Boy = dreng.
Girl = pige.
A boy = en dreng.
A girl = en pige.
The boy = drengen.
The girl = pigen.
That boy = den dreng.
That girl = den pige.

So if we are to be pedantic it's really: Lillepigen & lilledrengen.
Lillepig incidentally means: little spike.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oscar is IMO a perfect name for the little Prince. It's pronounceable in both Danish & English, as far as I know, it was Queen Ingrid's great-grandfather's name & it's popular - like Isabella's name is.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
I hope they don't use Alice...I have this name saved for Prince William and the future Princess Catherine's first child I would love to see a little Princess Alice of Wales (or whatever)...So please Mary and Frederik, if you are reading this, DO NOT USE Alice...
I totally agree! I would love to see a little Princess Alice in Britain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
Oscar and Matilda (Mathilde) are in the top 15, still hoping for these two...and since Oliver is also in the top 15, would love to see them using the similar sounding name of Olafur...

eta: Just checked out the popular Danish name link, Kathleen...love those names...these are the ones they can/will possibly use:

Girls: Anna, Mathilde, Frida, Amalie, Olivia, Frederikke, Astrid, Johanne, Filippa
Boys: William, Oscar, Gustav, Sebastian, Oliver, Andreas, Marius, Alfred, Johan
I know a lot of people don't like Oscar, but it's my first choice for the little prince. I don't think they will use Amalie because it is so similar to Amalia (Princess Catharina-Amalia).
Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Why would the Danish crown prince couple name their child after Cleopatra's daughter? She was an Egyptian queen of Greek descent...no Danish ties there.

for den lillepig:
Anna Catharina Helene Mary
Charlotte Johanne Lovisa Mary

for den lilledreng:
Christoffer William Andre Alexander
Johan Alexander Frederik RenÚ
Christoffer is way too close to Christian, I don't see that happening. And even Charlotte may be questionable as the same start as Christian.

Other famous royal twins who may have more of a link to the Danish throne if we want to play on the twins

James II of Scotland and Alexander-There are both in the family tree, I could see either as a middle name, Scottish link to Mary
Louise Elizabeth and Anne Henrietta of France-daughters of Louis XV, Louise his only daughter to marry, again names found in Danish tree
Philip Landgrave of Hesse and Wolfgang of Hess- Philip is in the tree
Prince Christoffe and Prince Richard of Hesse- christoffe too close to christian, but richard is a possibility

There are 13 pairs of royal twins listed, many of them alive today. Including three pairs in the royal house of Yugoslavia.

So if we want to go with a link to twins how about

Princess Johanne Lovisa Mary Renee
Princess Lovisa Anne Mary Adelaide

and for the little prince

Prince Karl James Friedrick Joachim
Prince Eric Friedrick Alexander Joachim

I really would like to see Joachim used for the baby's Uncle. It is also reflective of Mary, as the father of the Virgin Mary.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

You would rule out Charlotte because it begins with the same letters as Christian?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You would rule out Charlotte because it begins with the same letters as Christian?
I didn't say I ruled it out, I said I had my questions about it. It is a pretty name, is in the Danish family tree, and I'd like it. I am not the first or only person to voice it being close to Christian. I think we can rule out Christoffer or Christina. Charlotte though has also been used in recent royals, in Monaco, though not the same age group so it would be more likely than something like Amalia.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It might not be ruled out in terms of how it sounds - Christian starts with a K-sound and Charlotte starts with a Sh-sound...but Charlotte COULD be ruled out because of a doubling up of initials, and possibly 2 'C' monograms/initials might cause them to rethink it...and in the royal's case, sometimes the first initial is all you have...for example we always refer to the couples as M&F, M&H, J&M, C&I, A&M, N&F, etc...so adding another C child to M&F's brood might cause confusion...maybe not for them but for us
Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Aristocracy

Charlotte is a popular name, it's pretty and has a Danish royal connection.
I don't think it needs to be ruled out on the basis of it's first initial.

The letters are the same as Christian but the sound is quite different -
K and Sh. The ending sounds are also very different.
In spoken language, in the household, Christian and Charlotte would not be too similar.
Even so, some families do like each child to have their own first initial.
This might rule out Cleo or Clara.

I do see a problem with Christoffer and Christina sounding alike.
And their nick names could be exactly the same.

For the names of these twins I see no reason why their first listed name needs to be restricted to only Danish royal names.
I won't be surprised to see gorgeous, maybe more modern or slightly unexpected names....all the while being appropriate for royalty.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Charlotte is a popular name, it's pretty and has a Danish royal connection.
I don't think it needs to be ruled out on the basis of it's first initial.

The letters are the same as Christian but the sound is quite different -
K and Sh. The ending sounds are also very different.
In spoken language, in the household, Christian and Charlotte would not be too similar.
Even so, some families do like each child to have their own first initial.
This might rule out Cleo or Clara.

I do see a problem with Christoffer and Christina sounding alike.
And their nick names could be exactly the same.

For the names of these twins I see no reason why their first listed name needs to be restricted to only Danish royal names.
I won't be surprised to see gorgeous, maybe more modern or slightly unexpected names....all the while being appropriate for royalty.

Maybe not a Danish royal name, but pretty high chance it will at least be Danish. Either it will be a royal name in another tongue but found in the royal tree like James or Albert, or a Danish name. These are a prince and princess of Denmark after all. Is anyone expecting to see a Princess Dagmar of Wales, unless Prince Harry finds a Dagmar to marry? I guess anything could happen, but the chances are slim.

A name like Cleo? Honestly why? Because Cleopatra had twins? The name has no links to Denmark, Scotland or Australia, to any member of the couple's family or anything else.

Yes they could and I hope they do surprise us, but I think it will be
1. a name from the Danish royal family
2. a Danish twist on a family name ie. Johanne for John

There are so many names which could be used to bring in her Oz roots (Adelaide, Abel, Mathilde,Philip), their families (Johanne, Karl, Elizabeth, Henry) and so on, without going off the map for Prince Rodger and Princess Daisy or something such.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian

Christoffer is way too close to Christian, I don't see that happening. And even Charlotte may be questionable as the same start as Christian.

(...)
I don't think Erik Frederik really flows.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
I don't think Erik Frederik really flows.

I see what you mean, but perhaps something like Erik Karl Frederik would work?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

i now we will know the names of the babies at christening, but about the godparents, they will announce before the date or it will be a surprise at that day as well?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
i now we will know the names of the babies at christening, but about the godparents, they will announce before the date or it will be a surprise at that day as well?
I couldbe wrong, but I believe those remain private as well other than to those obviously chosen, until the day.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Courtier

Would not Alison and Adrian be nice names?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Karl Frederik Georg Albert Bernard
Victoria Igrid Olga Francesca Desiree
Old 03-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing

It might not be ruled out in terms of how it sounds - Christian starts with a K-sound and Charlotte starts with a Sh-sound...but Charlotte COULD be ruled out because of a doubling up of initials, and possibly 2 'C' monograms/initials might cause them to rethink it...and in the royal's case, sometimes the first initial is all you have...for example we always refer to the couples as M&F, M&H, J&M, C&I, A&M, N&F, etc...so adding another C child to M&F's brood might cause confusion...maybe not for them but for us
How would it confuse us? I'm sure we could tell the difference between C&I and C& whatever they pick for the boys name. We do have two Henriks in the family which is difficult. Charlotte shouldn't be questioned IMO because it starting with the same letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla
Would not Alison and Adrian be nice names?
Princess Alison? Interesting.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Aristocracy

I really like this Combo:
Mathilde/a Thyra Mary Renee
or
Mathilda Amalie Mary Renee

Oscar, Oliver and William, maybe Jacob, Marius, Noah and Magnus all seem like possible, imo nice names for the prince. Maybe in a combo like this:
William Oliver/Olafur Archibald Frederik
or
Oliver Christoffer Frederik Johan
Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Allow me a minor correction:

There is no equivalent to "the" in Danish, except in some dialects.
Boy = dreng.
Girl = pige.
A boy = en dreng.
A girl = en pige.
The boy = drengen.
The girl = pigen.
That boy = den dreng.
That girl = den pige.

So if we are to be pedantic it's really: Lillepigen & lilledrengen.
Lillepig incidentally means: little spike.
wow. I didn't know that. I just looked it up on google translate. Thanks Muhler. That, and when Isabella was born they called her 'lillepig' - I thought that meant 'little girl'.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
wow. I didn't know that. I just looked it up on google translate. Thanks Muhler. That, and when Isabella was born they called her 'lillepig' - I thought that meant 'little girl'.
Eeh, they did call Isabella lillepige = little girl. It's just that somehow the e in lillepige must have become lost.

Caroline is a good name. It can be used in Danish and English. Though the pronounciation is different. It's also a royal name.
Are there anyone among Mary's friends and and family called Caroline?

Oskar/Oscar is also a good name. Fitting for a healthy young boy. It's pronounced the same way in Danish and English, so the poor boy won't get confused. It's also a quite popular right now in DK, I understand.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Are there anyone among Mary's friends and and family called Caroline?
There is Caroline Heering & then there is Caroline Fleming, but I don't know how close they are to her.

Closed Thread