Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
thyra and dagmar sound like lovely names for girls... what are the translations for them in enliglish?

what would be the exact title of the new prince(ss)? hereditary prince or just prince?

i doubt though they will put the name henrietta at the beginning. i think that on the question of names, the queen's name, if it's in the name, needs to go first than the other grandmother of the baby. i'm not sure if it's a rule, but the other royal couples certainly did it that way (even with christian, his name is christian valdemar henri john, so the royal name seems to go first normally).

CasiraghiTrio said:
For a boy, I guess it is safe to rule out Frederik and Christian, and probably can rule out the names of Joachim's sons. I doubt they will use Nikolai, although it is a beautiful name and the best spelling for it imo.
Well if its a boy they might put Frederik in his list of names- just like Joachim has Christian in his list of names. Nikolai has Frederik & Felix has Christian in their list of names. I guess it keeps the continuation going if something were to happen to the one ahead of them in the list

Last edited:
Victor Nikolas Otto Constintine Marcos Stephen Johan
Sofia Magdelana Mary Henrietta Ingrid Andrea Cathryn :)

what about a real aussie name .....like Kylie :). Princess Kylie has a ring to it

Ingrid and Henrietta sound so old -fashioned to me , i hope they don´t use them

I think Ingrid, Henrietta, and Margrethe are all in the running as middle names for a girl but not as a first name. We all kind of knew with Christian what his name would be because there's such a long-standing tradition of Frederik/Christian for future kings. Since there isn't such a precedent for girls, I think any "royal" sounding name is fair game if it hasn't already been used yet. If they have a boy, I have no idea!

Has anyone mentioned "Frederikke" if it's a girl???

How about

"Mary Frederikke Margrethe Ingrid"

That should cover just about all the bases!

I think there is a real formula to constructing a "royal name"...as someone has mentioned, Joachim has Christian as one his names, as do Nikolai (Frederik) and Felix (Christian)...so if something happen in the line of succession, they could use those name to rule under...for example, if God forbid something was to happen to Frederik and Christian...Joachim would be known as King Christian ??

So with the first child their is more leeway with subsequent names, but the first name HAS to be Christian (or Margrethe?)...That is probably why Mary was able to squeeze "John" in there somewhere, after her father and brother...

I think the formula is, using *Christian Valdemar Henri John* as an example is: essential, unusual, family, family...So if they had a girl it will follow the same formula, but a second boy might be: unusual, family, family, essential

So here are some combos:

The Prince:
Harald Joachim Aage Frederik (Prince Harry)
Wilhelm Henrik Abel Frederik (Prince Wil)

The Princess:
Margrethe Thyra Olympia Maria
Margrethe Thyra Matilda Maria
Margrethe Ingrid Dagmar Maria, etc

Possible pool of names for boys: Aage, Vilhelm, Harald, Johannes, Abel, Joachim, Holger, Henrik, Frederik

Possible pool of names for girls: Margrethe, Henrietta, Ingrid, Olympia, Maria, Dagmar, Matilda, Thyra, Ingeborg, Thorhildur

Sorry for such a long post...but I love names and especially hypothetical Danish royal ones ;)

Matilda! Now there's a suggestion!

Although Australian sensibilities don't need to be considered for one moment as the baby's name is Denmark's business, 'Matilda' would delight most Aussies as much as 'Dagmar' might dismay them. I cringe at the thought of snide newspaper reports here about 'Princess Daggy'.

For those who don't know, and that's probably everyone who's not in Australia, New Zealand or the UK, 'Waltzing Matilda' is Australia's most famous national, and to many Aussies, most beloved song.

Polly

A nickname for Dagmar could be "Dasha"...maybe that's only in Slavic countries?

What's a Danish nickname for Dagmar? I really like it; I always think of the Dagmar necklace that all the daughters of Christian IX got when they married (Alexandra's is still worn by Queen Elizabeth, I think).

Polly said:
Matilda! Now there's a suggestion!

Although Australian sensibilities don't need to be considered for one moment as the baby's name is Denmark's business, 'Matilda' would delight most Aussies as much as 'Dagmar' might dismay them. I cringe at the thought of snide newspaper reports here about 'Princess Daggy'.

For those who don't know, and that's probably everyone who's not in Australia, New Zealand or the UK, 'Waltzing Matilda' is Australia's most famous national, and to many Aussies, most beloved song.

Polly

I personally hate the song 'Walzing Matilda' so I hope the baby doesn't get Matilda has one of the names. Somebody suggested Emma if Mary and Frederik are thinking of giving the baby a name that is used in both counties Emma would be a good choice.

I'm not wild about the song, but I don't hate it. And there's no denying that it's the most popular of all Australian songs.

I like the name Matilda/Mathilde, and there's already a royal with that same name, too.

Polly

i pray and hope its a little princess but my gut feeling is a boy.

i reckon if it's a little princess, the name henrietta will be somewhere in there.

Xeara said:
I think there is a real formula to constructing a "royal name"...as someone has mentioned, Joachim has Christian as one his names, as do Nikolai (Frederik) and Felix (Christian)...so if something happen in the line of succession, they could use those name to rule under...for example, if God forbid something was to happen to Frederik and Christian...Joachim would be known as King Christian ??

So with the first child their is more leeway with subsequent names, but the first name HAS to be Christian (or Margrethe?)...That is probably why Mary was able to squeeze "John" in there somewhere, after her father and brother...

I think the formula is, using *Christian Valdemar Henri John* as an example is: essential, unusual, family, family...So if they had a girl it will follow the same formula, but a second boy might be: unusual, family, family, essential

Frederik and Mary did follow some kind of "formula" for Christian's name (I thought it was touching how they gave tribute to both grandfathers) but Valdemar is by no means unusual in Denmark. It is a very Danish name and has been the name of several Danish Kings.

soCal girl said:
...but Valdemar is by no means unusual in Denmark. It is a very Danish name and has been the name of several Danish Kings.
For example Valdemar Sejr = Valdemar the Victorius ;)
- married to a queen Dagmar.

With regards to Valdemar, I meant "unusual" in the fact that it is Old Danish...correct me if I am wrong, but Valdemar is not used much these days, expect maybe as a middle name and by the ruling elite...Check Jo of Palatine's post with the most popular names for Danish males in 2003...Not a Valdemar to be seen (post #50...I am not sure how to quote?)

Lady Bluffton said:
A nickname for Dagmar could be "Dasha"...maybe that's only in Slavic countries?

What's a Danish nickname for Dagmar? I really like it; I always think of the Dagmar necklace that all the daughters of Christian IX got when they married (Alexandra's is still worn by Queen Elizabeth, I think).

In Denmark you do not really have a tradition for nick names derived from altering first name. You usually use first name without alterations. ;)

Girl: Elizabeth Ingrid Alice Maud Mary Henrietta Emma
Boy:Adolf-Luwig Henrik Carl Edmund Wilhelm Franz Michael

Royal Fan said:
Boy:Adolf-Luwig Henrik Carl Edmund Wilhelm Franz Michael

I'm sure Adolf is an absolute no-no in all Scandinavian states as well as in Germany, even though the war is already 60 years behind us!

Jo of Palatine said:
I'm sure Adolf is an absolute no-no in all Scandinavian states as well as in Germany, even though the war is already 60 years behind us!

There was 226 Adolf's in 2005 declining with 19 to 207 in 2006. My guess is they are older and dying out fast.

Anyway if you want to check how many carry your great idear, here the place to find out how creative you were ::)

http://www.dst.dk/Statistik/Navne/Document.aspx?path=%2fhomedk%2fstatistik%2fnavne%2fhvormange&layout={AB08C697-2973-4A81-98AC-E038190BA8DB}

Fornavn : First name
Efternavn : Last name

Mand : Man
Kvinde Woman

Søg : Search
Ryd : Clear

Xeara said:
With regards to Valdemar, I meant "unusual" in the fact that it is Old Danish...correct me if I am wrong, but Valdemar is not used much these days, expect maybe as a middle name and by the ruling elite...Check Jo of Palatine's post with the most popular names for Danish males in 2003...Not a Valdemar to be seen (post #50...I am not sure how to quote?)
I think it is becoming more widespread; a few years ago I wouldn't have believed it either, but it seems it is coming back, like everything else.
If you use the link MargretheI has provided in her post (#26) and try 'Valdemar' for a 'mand', you can see there are more than 1700 i 2006.

Jo of Palatine said:
Especially for royalty.

Does anyone know how the name "Aage" is pronounced? I think it is a really odd pronunciation (to us non-Danes) given how it looks...like you might assume it is "ayj" or "ahg"...but I have a feeling it is more like "ord" or "oh-ah" or something...please tell me, Danes!!!

If it is a boy, he will have to have Christian in there somewhere in case he becomes the heir. I think he will also get Frederik.
Maybe
Soren Magnus Frederik Christian

Girl: Isabella Ingrid Victoria Margrethe

Boy: Stephen Eric Alexander Frederick

Alexander Hubert Roland Hans Nicholas Michael Anton
Elisabeth Hannah Mary Henrietta Margrethe Nina Eugenie

Jane1 said:
Soren Magnus Frederik Christian

that's a great suggestion!

i'm all for following tradition! yet Mary and Frederik did a great job with Christian's name of combining traditional names with 'modern' ones. i haven't got any clues as to what they can name a baby boy apart from Jane1's suggestion, but if a princess is more i agree with most folks on Dagmar, Alexandra and Henrietta. i prefer the name Elisabeth though, spelled with an 's.' naming her Margrethe would be nice too.

Royal Fan said:
What about Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden?

As Gustaf Adolf was born in 1882, more than 50 years before another Adolf became notorious for his murders of jews and other innocent bystanders, I think we can accept his name. But nowadays IMHO that name is still burnt ground, especially as there is no close relative with this name (while you surely can find other Adolfs in the family-tree of the Schleswig-Holsteins with their different branches).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom