The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Is it a boy or girl?
Boy 85 33.33%
Girl 157 61.57%
Twins: boy & girl 6 2.35%
Twins: 2 boys 2 0.78%
Twins: 2 girls 5 1.96%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Aristocracy

I'm not sure if they will use Henrietta because of the Henri in Prince Christians name which kind of covered Henrik and Henrietta. I hope they use Eliz(s)abeth, somewhere in it as I think it is a lovely name (I'm a little biased here as you can probably guess! ).
My guess will be:
Margrethe Elizabeth Ingrid Anne

Old 04-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

This is an article which offeres more australian names than danish. Not so helpful on the next baby names but its worth reading

Tasmanians give Princess Mary name tips

THE new Danish princess will be called Sheila Charlene Brittany Matilda Metallica Tasma Kylie Epponnee Rae - if Tasmanians have their way. Full article here

Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 AM

Christening

On Sunday July 1, 2007, the daughter of Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark will be christened at 11:30 a.m. in Fredensborg Palace Church, Fredensborg.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz
Just watching the A Royal Family documentary on SBS, I have learnt the pronunciation of Dagmar!

Daauw-mar is the way I think you would spell it to pronounce it correctly. The 'g' doesn't made a normal English 'g' sound, it makes the 'auw' sound. Think 'ow' (as in ow my foot hurts) and say the start longer that the quick 'o'.

Does that make any sense to Danish members? Or have I just confused people even more?
No you are correct with the aauw-sound
Old 04-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa
Thank you Betina...It seemed a little weird for me that the sweet little thing should be for two months without a name. Now I understand.

But you said this tradition is common among Danish...There I do not understand. Did you mean ALL Danish people or only the Royal Family?

Vanesa.
And yes I meant the danish population included
Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Commoner

Frederika? after the proud father?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Aristocracy

Wow...the little Princess born on Queen Elizabeth's birthday and christened on Princess Diana's...I think this girl was also born under a lucky star!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Carl Philip will most likely not be in sweden at the time for the christening and he have no official duties most of this year so I think we can disqualify him as a godparent. It will only be the Crown Princess and Princess Madeleine who will be avaliable. But I think none of them will be asked and selected this time.

My tip is a personal friend to mary or one of her sisters, a personal friend to frederik, prince gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg princess alexia of greece and denmark, princess märtha-louise of norway and an heir apparent. The Duke of Brabant maybe?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Nobility

Would this be the Danish spelling? Frederikke?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina
No you are correct with the aauw-sound
I would really like to hear live its danish pronunciation, I`m used to pronounce strong "g" in this name (it`s my mother`s and grandmother`s name). Dagmar is a beautiful name and appropriate for a danish princess. I love Margrethe and Thyra too
Old 04-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Just watching the A Royal Family documentary on SBS, I have learnt the pronunciation of Dagmar!

Daauw-mar is the way I think you would spell it to pronounce it correctly. The 'g' doesn't made a normal English 'g' sound, it makes the 'auw' sound. Think 'ow' (as in ow my foot hurts) and say the start longer that the quick 'o'.

Does that make any sense to Danish members? Or have I just confused people even more?
I heard the Danish pronunciation of Dagmar on that documentary last night too. It's actually sounds pretty, I like it.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:

I watched that programme too, it was terribly interesting and cleared up a lot of confusion I had with different members of different royal households. I was very surprised at Queen Margrethe and Prince Jaochim's spoken English. I really hadn't heard them speak before. Can't wait for next week.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Courtier

P.s
Monna I love your avatar.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lise
I heard the Danish pronunciation of Dagmar on that documentary last night too. It's actually sounds pretty, I like it.
I agree lise, it does sound pretty. Much more pretty and feminine than I thought it would be. Hearing the correct pronunciation in stead of Dag-mar (which is what I thought ), I probably wouldn't mind if M&F called Lilleprinsesse Dagmar anywhere in her name
Old 04-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

In school, one of my classmates were named Dagmar, but it looks like we were all prouncing her name wrong. We prounounced the 'g'. Sometimes, people would call her Dag for short. She was not very happy!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Courtier

Just a question, as the little princess is in line to the throne after her father and brother, would she not be called Margrethe after her grandmother so that if, for some reason she did ascend the throne she would be Margrethe III. Is that how it works?
Old 04-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1
Just a question, as the little princess is in line to the throne after her father and brother, would she not be called Margrethe after her grandmother so that if, for some reason she did ascend the throne she would be Margrethe III. Is that how it works?
I'm not sure, but i assume that Mary and Fred could give the new princess any name, but if one day the princess was to take the Throne, she could always rule under the name of Margrethe III even though her name may not be Margrethe. Just a guess.

Also, the name 'Margrethe' is bound to be one of her names so she could also use it if she ever rules i guess.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1
There is no rules in Denmark about naming litle princesses.
Our Queen is not named after Margrete 1. but after her grandmother. It was a total coincidense that we have a Margrethe 2. now because there was no female that could inherit the throne when Margrethe was born.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina
There is no rules in Denmark about naming litle princesses.
Our Queen is not named after Margrete 1. but after her grandmother. It was a total coincidense that we have a Margrethe 2. now because there was no female that could inherit the throne when Margrethe was born.
Ok, so if your Queen had been named Ingrid, she would be Ingrid I, am I getting it?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
In school, one of my classmates were named Dagmar, but it looks like we were all prouncing her name wrong. We prounounced the 'g'. Sometimes, people would call her Dag for short. She was not very happy!
No, it depends. In Germany, the g of Dagmar is pronounced. Not very pretty in my opinion, though maybe I shouldn't say so, because my lovely aunt has that name.

Closed Thread

Tags
godparents, lilleprinsesse, princess isabella