Frederik, Mary and the Media: A Discussion of Sorts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ZinZin, I was actually referring to something else, but thanks.

Further to that, I think that the discussion about Fur should be removed to this thread in the Royal house of Fashion.

I bet we will hear that at least one Danish journalist will report about "Nappygate" and the internet forums....:ermm:

:lol:...........guess you are right! Perhaps even Facebook will be used again by this one Danish journalist.............:whistling:

The general question is: shoulnd't the Royal Family, or Mary and Fred in particular, be a role model in every aspect, even when it comes to the question of wearing fur?
As a member of a Royal family you make a statement with what you do. That would also include: having furniture made of tropical wood, wearing clothes that was made with childrens work etc., wearing diamonds that were produced by people living in slavery ( which happens nowadays). If you are wealthy and have access to all kinds of information plus you do charity worldwide, you must have a social conscience and be aware of what is happening in the world around you.
IMo wearing fur is not acceptable for a role model of the 21st century and someone who knows the facts of life.
Well, everyone has the right to their own opinion and I see that you have yours -- mine is the opposite.

I'm sorry, but it appears as if your theory, and the link that was used to support it, of this PR person helping out with the Tasmanian visit, and "tipping" off the media, has been debunked by the DRF themselves, as well as other published and reliable sources.

Would the palace ever admit that theyr hired a PR-person to handle press during CP Mary's private family trip? Of course not? Naturally, they insist she is hired for the so called "official functions," they have to say that otherwise CP Mary would look really bad. Who else has debunked? The BB comment by Ms krakau does not debunk anything,IMO. On the contrary, it raises far more questions than it provides answers, like why was all the Aussie press already lined up inside the zoo, when BB's people turned up?

:lol:...........guess you are right! Perhaps even Facebook will be used again by this one Danish journalist.............:whistling:

Facebook is,FYI, a networking tool. Unfortunately a certain Aussie radiohost does not understand how it works, but I know that a certain Danish journalist is getting a clarification in this Sunday's paper and if this certain Danish journalist does not feel her name sufficiently exonerated, the matter will be taken further. The piece about Facebook and this certain Danish journalist was inaccurate, defamatory and actionable - as this certain Aussie paper is well aware of. Oh, enough about me! :flowers:

The general question is: shoulnd't the Royal Family, or Mary and Fred in particular, be a role model in every aspect, even when it comes to the question of wearing fur?
As a member of a Royal family you make a statement with what you do. That would also include: having furniture made of tropical wood, wearing clothes that was made with childrens work etc., wearing diamonds that were produced by people living in slavery ( which happens nowadays). If you are wealthy and have access to all kinds of information plus you do charity worldwide, you must have a social conscience and be aware of what is happening in the world around you.
IMo wearing fur is not acceptable for a role model of the 21st century and someone who knows the facts of life.

Yes, the royals should be role models in everything they do, because if they can not lead by example, we have,IMO, opinion not a lot of use for them. Personally, I think CP Mary needs to tone down her luxurious habits. No matter what side of the fence you are on in this fur debate, it simply does not look good that you dress your toddler in expensive fur vests, that you wear Prada from top to toe for the playground visits and that your 3-year old wears Louis Vuitton shoes. It is far too bling and an insult to the hardworking Danes, who in the end pay for these unnecessary excesses. You might argue that it is unfair that CP Mary can not dress herself and her children the way she wants to, but we live in a 24/7 news cycle and the royals are photographed and filmed everywhere they go - as CP Mary is well aware of!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the royals should be role models in everything they do, because if they can not lead by example, we have,IMO, opinion not a lot of use for them. Personally, I think CP Mary needs to tone down her luxurious habits. No matter what side of the fence you are on in this fur debate, it simply does not look good that you dress your toddler in expensive fur vests, that you wear Prada from top to toe for the playground visits and that your 3-year old wears Louis Vuitton shoes. It is far too bling and an insult to the hardworking Danes, who in the end pay for these unnecessary excesses. You might argue that it is unfair that CP Mary can not dress herself and her children the way she wants to, but we live in a 24/7 news cycle and the royals are photographed and filmed everywhere they go - as CP Mary is well aware of!

Dressing a toddler in an expensive fur vest may not be the best idea, but she can hardly put her in a $20 chain store top either - there would surely be just as much fuss???

And I also feel that seeing as Mary is wearing Prada (& other designers), why should she take less 'care'/interest whatever in what her beloved children wear - especially in public?
I realise that these clothes will fit the children a lot shorter time, but I would still want my children to wear quality clothes, were I in her position.

What I am trying to say (with, I feel, limited success) is that maybe these designer labels are not necessary for the kids, but they still need to be respectable for their position.

Just MO.

Last edited:
Facebook is,FYI, a networking tool. Unfortunately a certain Aussie radiohost does not understand how it works, but I know that a certain Danish journalist is getting a clarification in this Sunday's paper and if this certain Danish journalist does not feel her name sufficiently exonerated, the matter will be taken further. The piece about Facebook and this certain Danish journalist was inaccurate, defamatory and actionable - as this certain Aussie paper is well aware of. Oh, enough about me! :flowers:

Well, at least that one certain Danish journalist has had the opportunity to claim it was inaccurate and defamatory. The same opportunity has not been given to Mary. Dont you just hate when you are the subject of inaccurate reports? :)

Facebook is,FYI, a networking tool. :flowers:

Oh, I am quit aware of that.

It is so wonderfull to be told someting one already knows - that is called "discounting" by the way:flowers:

Yes, the royals should be role models in everything they do, because if they can not lead by example, we have,IMO, opinion not a lot of use for them.

Is that not a rather impossible task, though?

Royals get their position through heredity not merit. Undoubtedly some royals are going to be less able to act as role models than others. Its also difficult to act as a flawless role model over the extent of one's entire life and royals unlike celebrities have their position in the public eye for life. I also question how much of a role model a royal can be for the rest of us commoners when their life and expectations are so much different than for the rest of us. I hazard to propose that a royal who is so good at being a role model for the rest of us would not be doing such a great job as a royal.

Certainly they need some qualities that the country finds useful and uplifting but I think everyone no matter their limitations can find one or two of such qualities for others to admire.

Would the palace ever admit that theyr hired a PR-person to handle press during CP Mary's private family trip? Of course not? Naturally, they insist she is hired for the so called "official functions," they have to say that otherwise CP Mary would look really bad. Who else has debunked? The BB comment by Ms krakau does not debunk anything,IMO. On the contrary, it raises far more questions than it provides answers, like why was all the Aussie press already lined up inside the zoo, when BB's people turned up?

What would we do w/o conspiracy theories? Really, it does not harm the Danish royal family if they did hire a PR person. They have no reason to lie about it. That does not make her look bad. As far as the Aussie press, perhaps they were tipped of by someone at the zoo. Or BB was late. But even BB said that they wanted picks of them driving into the zoo. Aussies didn't.

Defamatory? Inaccurate? Sounds like things that happen to Mary all the time. Perhaps she should start action against those who do the same to her.:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Defamatory? Inaccurate? Sounds like things that happen to Mary all the time. Perhaps she should start action against those who do the same to her.:whistling:

Bravo, Ma'am. Goodness knows if I were Mary, I'd take a leaf out of the Swede's book and fire back!

Dressing a toddler in an expensive fur vest may not be the best idea, but she can hardly put her in a $20 chain store top either - there would surely be just as much fuss???

And I also feel that seeing as Mary is wearing Prada (& other designers), why should she take less 'care'/interest whatever in what her beloved children wear - especially in public?
I realise that these clothes will fit the children a lot shorter time, but I would still want my children to wear quality clothes, were I in her position.

What I am trying to say (with, I feel, limited success) is that maybe these designer labels are not necessary for the kids, but they still need to be respectable for their position.

Just MO.

When you are of a certain class you dress a certain way. She is no different than others of her economic and social class. I would have to say the vast majority of the Danes do not really care. I think if they were not royal models and went way the other way there would be protests and a vote to get rid of them. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

As far as role models for everything, that is a bit crazy. They haven't done anything socially unacceptable by the masses, just a few louds in a very small vocal minority.

What they have done for the nation of Denmark, for children's causes and the mentally ill is great. But to write about that would just be too boring! God, good works, nicely dressed, loving family how insulting to the rest of us!:D

Last edited:
No jet lag???

Oh, enough about me! :flowers:[/quote]

yes indeed

we live in a 24/7 news cycle and the royals are photographed and filmed everywhere they go - as CP Mary is well aware of![/quote]
pretty sure she had a look at the Goldfish bowl before she hopped in and realised there were plenty of piranhas in it as well as pretty toys. Probably didnt expect the number of harpoons from various quarters.:ohmy:

Bravo, Ma'am. Goodness knows if I were Mary, I'd take a leaf out of the Swede's book and fire back!

Yes, but most people tend to let ludicrous accusations go by, because they are so ludicrous and unbelievable. I do/would. There's no need to justify or dignify nonsense with a response. That's probably the reason that certain things that are written about the CP Family / Royal Family are being let to die a natural death. And very often people who are running to "defend" themselves are the ones who might have something to hide. Frankly, if something is so stupid as to be laughable, I would not waste my time trying to debunk it.

FYI - Linkedin is a much better networking tool than facebook, at least if you are looking for professional contacts, which generally speaking people are when speaking about networking. I don't consider a site that allows you to "throw" cows at people a networking tool, so much as a social friendship tool.

Last edited:
Yes, but most people tend to let ludicrous accusations go by, because they are so ludicrous and unbelievable. I do/would.

That's very true, and I think a dignified silence the best thing for it...;)

Though I have my limitations so best I'm not the Crown Princess, hence the 'If I were Mary', not suggesting Mary should...:D

Was that for my information, or was it a general comment because I don't recall partaking in that particular conversation...hehe.

Oh no, that was in response to another poster saying that Facebook was a networking site. I suppose it could be called a social networking site in the broadest sense of the term.

Ok, no probs...:flowers:

I hardly use my facebook...haven't checked it in months. I should probably have a look.lol.

To come back to the topic of this thread:
I guess Mary & Fred are once in a while confronted with stories about them that are not true or sometimes ridiculous. This seems to be done when there is nothing else to write about..
On the other hand the DRF members use media manipulation themselves: it is obvious that certain PR strategies were used for the trip to OZ to create a certain low-key, down-to-earth image. Unfortunately it wasn't done properly. Fying Jetstar and wearing expensive brands are quite contradictory , the intended message did not came across and let this look very implausible.
And IMO several photo opps for a private holiday are a bit silly or at least a sign of not knowing how important oneselve really is...

...several photo opps for a private holiday...

There was only one official photo opportunity for the family during the visit - the one at Government House in Sydney on Tuesday. The other times we got photos of Mary and the children where when they were being followed by the paps.

FYI - Linkedin is a much better networking tool than facebook, at least if you are looking for professional contacts, which generally speaking people are when speaking about networking. I don't consider a site that allows you to "throw" cows at people a networking tool, so much as a social friendship tool.

I concur. LinkdIn is a very useful networking tool for professionals. I use it a lot. As for Facebook, I only use it when somebody sends a fun video.

There was only one official photo opportunity for the family during the visit - the one at Government House in Sydney on Tuesday. The other times we got photos of Mary and the children where when they were being followed by the paps.

Well I would not call every journalist a paprazzi...

Well I would not call every journalist a paprazzi...

Journalists are not photographers. Photographers are paparazzi. They are called that b/c they follow people around, photograph them in public and not at official events or photo requests. The journalistic equivelent is tabloid journalists.

Re: Misuse of CPss Mary's name and image for aussie ad campaign (unauthorised use)

Courtesy of the MSN Starlounge.

Mary, Christian og Isabella misbrugt i ble-reklame - MSN Starlounge

"Mary, Christian og Isabella misbrugt i ble-reklame- Mary, Christian and Isabella misused(abused) in nappy advertisement."

Does anyone know which news feeds and sources MSN.dk starlounge uses?

Is the main source Ritzau, or another news agency or media source or sources?

Emeralds and Opals, I copied and pasted the credit at the end of the article:

AF NIKOLAJ VRAA
FOTO: COLOURPRESS

Journalists are not photographers. Photographers are paparazzi. They are called that b/c they follow people around, photograph them in public and not at official events or photo requests. The journalistic equivelent is tabloid journalists.

I am pretty sure that most posters would take the opportunity to make photos of Fred & mary if they'll have the chance. But would you describe yourself as a paparazzi? , probably not...:rolleyes:

Well, looking at all those paparazzi photo's I must say that Princess Mary doesn't do much to avoid their camera's, in fact she is looking straight into them at most of the pictures. I guess that these shoots can be called "unofficial photoshoots"?

Well, looking at all those paparazzi photo's I must say that Princess Mary doesn't do much to avoid their camera's, in fact she is looking straight into them at most of the pictures. I guess that these shoots can be called "unofficial photoshoots"?

On the majority of pics I've seen of Mary, she is always looking at the camera, putting on her best smile. She seems to really enjoy being popular with photographers. At the very least, she is always ready for her photo to be taken. It's quite amazing.

On the majority of pics I've seen of Mary, she is always looking at the camera, putting on her best smile. She seems to really enjoy being popular with photographers. At the very least, she is always ready for her photo to be taken. It's quite amazing.

I guess that's because the media tends to buy pics in which the photographer caught the princess and not those where Mary looks the other way.

Well she knows they are there so it is better to smile than make a nasty face or remark. All the Royal Princesses are the same way. It is part of their job for their country. At least Mary always looks nice and pleasant.

I would not call every photographer paparazzi. There is quite a difference between a photo journalist and a paparazzi photographer. A photo journalist will sometimes follow a subject around as part of their assignment, usually with that person's permission, but not always (ie undercover/investigative work). I know quite a few photo journalists (including Pulitizer Prize nominated) who would be very offended at being called paparazzi.

Paparazzi is a photographer who is always following their subject, trying to catch them in an off moment, sometimes baiting them into saying something to the paparazzi so they can then say the person reacted to them, usually not working with an accredited news organization, and then trying to sell their pictures to the highest bidder.

I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but there are many hard working people in the media who actually do verify facts, report only true facts and double check their sources, etc. Not everyone in the media is like a worker at the National Enquirer or TMZ.

I think the CP couple was hounded during their trip by the paparazzi. However, I think they should have arranged a photo call with the media soon after Fredrick arrived so they could try to have some peace and quite. Waiting until they got to Sydney was a mistake and caused a daily feeding frenzy among the paps until then. One thing to keep in mind is that paps very rarely agree to "take pics at a scheduled time and then leave me along"...otherwise they would not make much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom