The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I think CP Mary didn't have the holliday of her life!!! She has lots of negative points: the nude thing, the miss photocal, the fur jacket, the Prada boots her rudess with press Those are not good things for her popularity...

Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
I think CP Mary didn't have the holliday of her life!!! She has lots of negative points: the nude thing, the miss photocal, the fur jacket, the Prada boots her rudess with press Those are not good things for her popularity...
I agree. Form a PR point of view, this trip has been a disaster. Christian's nude pictures, Frederik's Playboy-party, Isabella's minkvest and now Nappy-gate. Maybe they should get a refund from Ms Fudala?

Billed Bladets editor, Ms Krakau, has just posted this comment - in Danish - on the mags website. It explains what happened that day at the zoo. Funnily enough, it does not mention Nina Fudalas efforts in getting the Aussie press lined up and excluding Billed Bladet! Billed-Bladet - Annemette Krakau: Sandheden om Marys ”skideballe”

It does, however, say that when CP Mary realised that Billed Bladet, the most loyal and royal outlet CP Mary will ever have, had been scooped, she made her own pictures from the outing available to the Danish press. Damanage control, anyone?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
From a PR point of view, this trip has been a disaster.
A disaster in your own mind maybe, but certainly not here on the ground in Australia. The media coverage has been nothing but favourable, as we saw again tonight on our television news with Mary's visit to the new Medical Institute in Sydney.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I agree. It is not popular to say it out loud, BUT, IMO ,the monarchies are in many ways far better off if the royals marry royals. It is an issue I am dealing with in my next book.
I find it interesting that you should say that. Because IMHO the fact that more and more Royals marry commoners has a stabilizing effect on the monarchies. I don't think the people as the true souverain will condone it when the Royals seperate themselves from the other citizens of their countries. There were good reasons why Royals married other Royals in the past - first the belief in the God given privilege of being Royal which is the idea of belonging to the same seperate caste, then political reasons through the forming of alliances of relatives - all that doesn't count anymore nowadays. So it's mostly traditional reasons and the idea of the Royals as symbols of their country. But marrying other Royals would mean that they have to import foreigners which are considered to be "better" than their own people, who in fact are the political souverains of the country - I don't think that in a modern democratic country this goes down well with the people. So when frederick married so obviously for love and his new wife took on life in Denmark with such applomb, they both did more for the monarchy than Frederick could have done on introducing a princess from somewhere to his fellow countrymen as his bride.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I find it interesting that you should say that. Because IMHO the fact that more and more Royals marry commoners has a stabilizing effect on the monarchies. I don't think the people as the true souverain will condone it when the Royals seperate themselves from the other citizens of their countries. There were good reasons why Royals married other Royals in the past - first the belief in the God given privilege of being Royal which is the idea of belonging to the same seperate caste, then political reasons through the forming of alliances of relatives - all that doesn't count anymore nowadays. So it's mostly traditional reasons and the idea of the Royals as symbols of their country. But marrying other Royals would mean that they have to import foreigners which are considered to be "better" than their own people, who in fact are the political souverains of the country - I don't think that in a modern democratic country this goes down well with the people. So when frederick married so obviously for love and his new wife took on life in Denmark with such applomb, they both did more for the monarchy than Frederick could have done on introducing a princess from somewhere to his fellow countrymen as his bride.
A royal marriage is first and foremost a dynastic feature. It is about ensuring the succession to the throne. In the old times, it was also about land and power alliances, but these days the royals "marry for love" or do they? CP Frederik always said that he "never wanted to end up like Charles and Diana," and so he tried to follow his heart by proposing to a Danish girl. The Queen would not give her consent, so Katja Storkholm, Frederik's first big love, never became crown princess. Look at Sweden's Victoria. She has been with her Daniel for four years now. It looks to me like she is having a hard time being allowed to follow her heart - even though Victoria's mum, Queen Silvia, was a commoner herself. Silvia turned out to be a blessing for the Swedish monarchy (trained, I may add, by the ultimate royal, Queen Ingrid,) but maybe there is a case to be made for refreshing the royal DNA-pool and at the same time making sure, that the young women, who marry princes, know exactly what kind of life, they are marrying into. Who knows that better than a born and bred princess?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Who shall also happen to be a distant relative somewhere along the way..and not so distant that most will think of it favourably, either..

It just wouldn't be deemed, by a large majority of society, as appropriate or right. The fact they would be related at all. Even King Geroge VI and the Queen Elizabeth, had at first, reservations about Elizabeth and Philip because they were related and that was the late 1940's! Social progress has since been made.

Marrying a foreign Prince/ss is not the answer, not that I happen to think an answer is needed.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I wasn't so much thinking of Royal-Royal marriages but rather of other couples like W-A and Maxima. Her family, I believe, is rather wealthy and can afford large estates in Argentina so its easier for her to go to Argentina and hide and still have quality time with her loved ones.

A Scottish comedian once said that mega press attention was only fun if you had the money to be able to shelter yourself from it. Mary and Fred have enough, of course, but I daresay the rest of her family does not and they don't live in houses that afford much shielding from the press. Mary and Fred have a security contingent of course but there's only so much it can do if its parked in a regular middle class house in a middle class neighborhood that hasn't seen anything like it.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Nobility

It would have been a lot easier if F and M had hired a house with more privacy and had invited Mary's family over. Then all of this would not have happened.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeuwklokje View Post
It would have been a lot easier if F and M had hired a house with more privacy and had invited Mary's family over. Then all of this would not have happened.
Have they done this in the past? I remember last Australian holiday they took they were photographed a few times and then they fell of the radar.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeuwklokje View Post
Maybe not such a bad idea you know. Some estate in the Tasmanian wilderness somewhere...perhaps close enough to the main centres but still well guarded from public access/intrusion. Take the pressure of the family too, even though I'm sure they understand.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
. . . . Form a PR point of view, this trip has been a disaster.
I beg to differ. Not from Downunder it hasn't. The news has all been positive entertaining and relatively light-hearted. I haven't seen one really adverse comment about the trip.

It seems to me that there is an overwhelming black cloud of discontent being stirred up around the European royals in general and the Danish CP couple in particular.

All this sage advice about PR paints CP Frederik as a clown and a fool and CP Mary as a brunette Barbie-doll, each without an orginal thought or idea of their own and totally incapable of making any decisions for themselves. A neither accurate nor kind picture at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villemann View Post
. . . . . . . when CP Mary realised that Billed Bladet, the most loyal and royal outlet CP Mary will ever have, had been scooped, she made her own pictures from the outing available to the Danish press. Damanage control, anyone?
Whilst I don't agree with every little thing that the DRF do or say, I am astounded at the constant negative sniping.

This has been a holiday with Mary's family not a state visit. However, due to the intrusive and invasive media and commentators, I fear this will be the last such holiday they will ever have. From now on out it is going to be distance and security, all the things that keep them safe with some semblance of a normal family life.

Next time round they'll probable hire a private island or mega-expensive lodge and fly in by helicopter, thus ensuring both security and privacy.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree. Form a PR point of view, this trip has been a disaster. Christian's nude pictures, Frederik's Playboy-party, Isabella's minkvest and now Nappy-gate. Maybe they should get a refund from Ms Fudala?
A reality check from someone actually in Australia subjected to the media reports here.
Weekly glossy women's magazines--- last week, secondary front page story, nice positive stories and pictures of Mary and children 'home'
---- this week, only front page on one magazine, but again nice positive stories, pictures of Mary etc in Hobart.

Daily newspapers--first week in Hobart, featured daily, whatever place they were photographed in, nude pictures, playboy party, mink vest etc all mentioned in the Tasmanian newspaper The Mercury, not a huge readership as Tasmania is not a densely populated state. The Mercury is a News Ltd newspaper, minkvest got a run in the Sydney News Ltd paper, other papers ignored the story. Non News Ltd papers didn't bother reporting any of them. News Ltd is Rupert Murdoch, editorial policy seems to be print whatever negative story you can spin about royals. British royals too, as he owns many of the British tabloids.

TV news footage, all glowingly positive, no negative stories at all, no playboy, no mink vest, nothing. Official events got major positive coverage, including today's Victor Chang opening when the reporter breathlessly told us about a woman who arrived outside the building at 7.30 to get a prime position. Not only that but she had come down from Newcastle! ( about an hour north of Sydney)

It was hardly a PR disaster! ( The media liason officer Nina Fadula isn't exactly 'notorious', while we do have some 'notorious' publicists, she's not one of them, infact no-one had ever heard of her! She's very lowkey.)
The media coverage was unfailingly positive, a few negative stories in The Mercury barely registered as few people read it!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Silvia turned out to be a blessing for the Swedish monarchy (trained, I may add, by the ultimate royal, Queen Ingrid,) but maybe there is a case to be made for refreshing the royal DNA-pool and at the same time making sure, that the young women, who marry princes, know exactly what kind of life, they are marrying into. Who knows that better than a born and bred princess?
Find one like these. If you look at princesses Beatrice and Eugenie's behaviour, I doubt anyone believes that they would make better Crown princesses than Mary or Maxima. The times are long gone IMHO when princesses were more than just born Royals - they are not longer bred to live like one. As for Victoria, my personal impression is that Daniel does not want to marry her yet.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Just a quick question about the mink.. Are we 100% certain that it is real fur? Or is that just an assumption on someones part?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

well I have made that question to myself also. But I think Mary didn't use any fur imitation, I'am pretty sure it is real fur...
Old 09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
A disaster in your own mind maybe, but certainly not here on the ground in Australia. The media coverage has been nothing but favourable, as we saw again tonight on our television news with Mary's visit to the new Medical Institute in Sydney.
I disagree. IMO it has been one thing after anohter - and now Nappy Gate. The Danish Foreign service has been asked by the palace to look into the matter of how CP Mary's highly staged nappy-run ended up as a commercial for disposable nappies. Not the DRFs finest hour, unfortunately!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sorry, but I must have missed the link to the article about the Danish Foreign service being involved in "nappy-gate". Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS View Post
The truth about the BB incident in a australian zoo:

Chief editor of BB Annemette Krakau says: The BB was wayting outside the zoo and asked Mary and Frederik whether they could take some pictures inside the zoo of the royal family. Mary answered very politely that they would really love som alone-time with their children. She said this in danish because it was only BB who asked. The australian and other medias were already inside the zoo taking pictures. They did not ask for permission and therefore she said nothing in english. Eventually they allowed the australian media to take pictures, hoping that they would get some peace afterwards. The BB respected her request and left the place. Annemette Krakau said the crownprincess was polite and professionel as ever and that the relationship between her and BB is indeed very good.

Not surprising this story was blown all out of proportion. For those of you who read danish, the story can be read a TV2's homepage.
It seems very much like the whole thing was blown completely out of proportion.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
As others have pointed out this trip has not been a disaster at all as far as positive pr is concerned although journalists of a certain kind would like to present it as one (just as they mix up nude pictures which were taken in DK and exaggerated reports about a party in Beijing with things that happened in Australia - but why should they bother about accurateness ).
I think it was a disaster as far as privacy was concerned. This trip showed that the DRF has to become more strict with the media.
Quote:
Maybe they should get a refund from Ms Fudala?

Billed Bladets editor, Ms Krakau, has just posted this comment - in Danish - on the mags website. It explains what happened that day at the zoo. Funnily enough, it does not mention Nina Fudalas efforts in getting the Aussie press lined up and excluding Billed Bladet! Billed-Bladet - Annemette Krakau: Sandheden om Marys ”skideballe”
Perhaps it doesn't mention it because it's not true?
Perhaps it's just a made up story of journalists of a certain kind?
AFAIK Nina Fudala was hired for the 4 official events, everything else is pure speculation of certain parts of the media, although presented here as if it was fact.
Quote:
It does, however, say that when CP Mary realised that Billed Bladet, the most loyal and royal outlet CP Mary will ever have, had been scooped, she made her own pictures from the outing available to the Danish press. Damanage control, anyone?
How annoying! All those S&H/EB stories about Mary scooping the Danish media going down the hill.
And with unethical magazines/papers like Se&Hoer and Ekstrabladet out there I would say they sure need a damage control.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I disagree. IMO it has been one thing after anohter - and now Nappy Gate. The Danish Foreign service has been asked by the palace to look into the matter of how CP Mary's highly staged nappy-run ended up as a commercial for disposable nappies. Not the DRFs finest hour, unfortunately!
If a picture of the wife of our Bundesprsident (the German head of State) had been used for commercial purposes in the same way as Mary's, I bet our foreign ministry would be asked as well to check into the media law of the country of publication and figure how to stop that advertisment and which possibilities of a law suit are available against the company. so where's the "gate" in this pseudo-affair?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
As for the zoo incident. I happen to know some of what went on. As some of you might know, CP Mary has hired a PR named Nina Fudala to handle press during the so called "private family holiday."Ms Fudala told Aussie press that there would be an photo op at the zoo. When Billed Bladet's people realised they were being excluded, they rushed to the zoo and asked for the same oportunity to take a few shots as the Aussies had just had. This request was denied in Danish by CP Mary. Billed Bladet ten left the zoo without any further ado. The question is,IMO, why on earth CP Mary hires a person to handle press during her family holiday. According to the palace it is to coordinate the press for the CP's "official duties," as spokesperson Lene Balleby wrote in a mail to me. When did nappy-shopping become an "official duty?" This whole Nina Fudala spectacle has backfired. Now our crown princess is being used as a cheap postergirl for Huggies - because Ms Fudala staged a nappy-run photo op? Again, it is SO undignified.
Sorry, but the BB article posted and translated by MDS contradicts your story.
And Lene Balleby IMO is more reliable than Trine Villemann (or Se&Hoer ).