The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #601  
Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 9,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Actually any person, who is baptised, can perform this "nøddåb"/ad hoc baptism. And if the baptism should be rather soon than later, then the person who will perform the baptism can just say: "XX, I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit".


Muhler, what do you think a godparent does then?

The "Gudfar/Gudmor" is also "fadder".
Thank you, FasterB, I knew we could count on you to provide additional details.

I had no idea laymen could also baptise.

As for a godparent. 500 years ago (and recently for that matter) being a godparent was a genuine commitment rather than an honor. In case the parents died, or were unable or unwilling to bring up the child (primarily as a Christian, that was main point of it all) it was your responsibility to take over from the parents. In some cases, you actually adopted the child, in other cases you became a guardian, or a patron/sponsor of the child. At the very least your status in relations to the child would be a kind of honorary uncle/father. - And the child owed you respect accordingly.
But this was a two-way-arrangement. The godparent cemented his/her position in the society as good and reputable Christian. But it was also an extension and/or a confirmation of your network. (Another method was of course marriages).

Gotta go.
__________________

  #602  
Old 12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thank you, FasterB, I knew we could count on you to provide additional details.
I´m glad to add these details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I had no idea laymen could also baptise.
They can but only if there´s not time for a priest to show up. Later, if the child survives, the parents can take the child to the church for a confirmation of the ad hoc baptism. Now that will not be a christening, since the child is already christened, it´s called "fremstilling af et hjemmedøbt barn". Sorry, I don´t know how to translate this to english...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
As for a godparent. 500 years ago (and recently for that matter) being a godparent was a genuine commitment rather than an honor. In case the parents died, or were unable or unwilling to bring up the child (primarily as a Christian, that was main point of it all) it was your responsibility to take over from the parents. In some cases, you actually adopted the child, in other cases you became a guardian, or a patron/sponsor of the child. At the very least your status in relations to the child would be a kind of honorary uncle/father. - And the child owed you respect accordingly.
But this was a two-way-arrangement. The godparent cemented his/her position in the society as good and reputable Christian. But it was also an extension and/or a confirmation of your network. (Another method was of course marriages).

Gotta go.
That is still what people generally thinks the godparents/faddere does. But when it comes to the church then the one caring the child for the christening and the other "faddere" are the same. There´s no difference
So if we talk purely legally then it´s only in "folkemunde" that the term "Gudfar/Gudmor" exist. It has never existed in the church. There it "only" has been faddere/witnesses
__________________

__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
  #603  
Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
If I might add there is a increasing number of parents that are prefering a namegiving instead of a christening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Indeed there is, not least in the cities.
Do you have any numbers on this? I think that, if there´s a slighty increasing, it is due to the fact that there are more people in the cities which are not christians, but muslims or other religions.

I think the numbers of danes getting christened are the same, but I don´t know for sure :)
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
  #604  
Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
I don't have any statistics but namegiving is the most popular choice in my family and amongst friends and collegues.
  #605  
Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
windsorgirl's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
I don't have any statistics but namegiving is the most popular choice in my family and amongst friends and collegues.
Who officiates at a name-giving and where is one held? Is the baby's name kept a secret beforehand? I'm intrigued!
  #606  
Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
You can name your child through "Namegiving" if you do not want your child to be christened. The child must be named before the age of six months. You fill in a form. Do you and the child's father joint custody, you must each sign the form.

Indeed these are modern times:)
  #607  
Old 12-23-2010, 02:33 AM
greenways's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 270
Not long to go now, I doubt Mary will keep the baby weight - she will be exercising again as soon as able, I'm sure. Pity really, she does look good with a few extra pounds!
  #608  
Old 12-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
I think I must be one of very few who thinks she looks best when svelte...haha. Not that she looks at all bad when pregnant, not at all
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
  #609  
Old 12-23-2010, 03:21 AM
dee4855's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 623
I see baby watch is still quiet. Has the blizzard hit yet?
  #610  
Old 12-23-2010, 04:18 AM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee4855 View Post
I see baby watch is still quiet. Has the blizzard hit yet?
It's pretty bad in the south of Zealand, Fyn and Bornholm etc. now and is slowly reaching the area where I live - north of Copenhagen, not far from Fredensborg. So Copenhagen must feel it now, as well. Good thing they didn't decide to join the rest of the family at southern Jutland for Christmas. It's said to be pretty chaotic on the roads and trains with all this snow and thousands of people travelling to their Christmas destinations.
__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
  #611  
Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 AM
dee4855's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 623
Stay safe! I hope you are not having to travel. Happy Holidays!
  #612  
Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
Not long to go now, I doubt Mary will keep the baby weight - she will be exercising again as soon as able, I'm sure. Pity really, she does look good with a few extra pounds!
The biggest health problem in Denmark is lack of excercise.

CP Frederik is the main speaker of excercise and the fight against par example diabetes.

CP Frederik himself has run marathon and joining in bicycle race.

He also bicycles the children to kindergarten and school.
  #613  
Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
Not long to go now, I doubt Mary will keep the baby weight - she will be exercising again as soon as able, I'm sure. Pity really, she does look good with a few extra pounds!
I agree - I think Mary looks fantastic, and I hope she stays that little bit plumper, as she was when she met Prince Frederik. It really suits her body AND her face. Mary will soon reach that age where you can start to look gaunt if you're "fashion model thin". Models are usually genetically very different from the rest of us ... and Mary has a normal build. I loved the cover photo recently where she looked unbelievably normal. She doesn't need a fairy tale in the press - I hope she doesn't feel pressured to conform to a celebrity stereotype. It's nice that she takes her role of model for Danish fashion seriously, but I for one am pleased to see her "not skinny".

I also think Mette-Marit and Victoria are great role models as princesses "of normal build", particularly Mette - who is quite large but still absolutely beautiful.
  #614  
Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 AM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee4855 View Post
Stay safe! I hope you are not having to travel. Happy Holidays!
Thank you No travel on my part and am quite prepared to be 'snowed in' Happy Holidays to you too.
__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
  #615  
Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 AM
dee4855's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Thank you No travel on my part and am quite prepared to be 'snowed in' Happy Holidays to you too.
I am so with you on being snowed in. Fireplace, good book, soup cooking and something warm to drink. I am as happy as can be.
  #616  
Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 AM
missjane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 515
I have been coming on here every day lately, more than once too! I just keep hoping for early good news. I am sure the news will explode into every media facet as soon as anything happens so I am sure i won't miss anything. You can never be too prepared though!
I think Mary does pilates so thats how she keeps her long, slender and muscular figure. I have no doubt that she will want to get back to her pre babies figure as soon as she is ready too. And no-ones body is ever the same after 1 baby let alone 4! But she does have good genes!
  #617  
Old 12-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Benedikte's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal View Post
I agree - I think Mary looks fantastic, and I hope she stays that little bit plumper, as she was when she met Prince Frederik. It really suits her body AND her face. Mary will soon reach that age where you can start to look gaunt if you're "fashion model thin". Models are usually genetically very different from the rest of us ... and Mary has a normal build. I loved the cover photo recently where she looked unbelievably normal. She doesn't need a fairy tale in the press - I hope she doesn't feel pressured to conform to a celebrity stereotype. It's nice that she takes her role of model for Danish fashion seriously, but I for one am pleased to see her "not skinny".

I also think Mette-Marit and Victoria are great role models as princesses "of normal build", particularly Mette - who is quite large but still absolutely beautiful.
I think that CP Mary is excercising because she likes it and is healthy too. CP Frederik also excercises a lot.

CP Victoria is also very interested in health issues and excercise.

IMO CP Mette Marit could do moore excercise. She would be moore healthy.
  #618  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Sternchen's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: xxx, Germany
Posts: 1,282
Well, from everything you can read I gather that Mary has always been quiet sporty, she participated in hockey, swimming, riding, basketball (IIRC) in school, so I think it is safe to assume, that she works out because she likes it, and not because she wants to be "Fashion model thin"
  #619  
Old 12-23-2010, 03:11 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 22,965
Lets stay on topic discussing Mary and not other royals.
__________________
  #620  
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Angelica's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 170
Please, oh please babies arrive soon!! We can't wait that long!

Can you at least arrive by the end of the week??? Please???
We want to see you and I am more than convinced that your gorgeous mommy would be more than relieved to see you coming soon!
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Princess Mary Jewellery 2: January 2006 - June2008 Elspeth Royal Jewels 195 06-20-2008 06:23 AM
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 6: January-October 2007 Mandy Current Events Archive 384 10-31-2007 02:37 PM
Crown Princess Mary Jewellery 1: December 2003-January 2006 Alexandria Royal Jewels 166 01-02-2006 08:55 PM




Popular Tags
best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess elisabeth crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark dutch state visit fashion poll general news guillaume hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy natural disasters news november 2016 october 2016 paris picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess marie eveningwear princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen mathildes hats queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia shaikh zayed bin hamdan bin zayed al nahyan state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises