The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Actually any person, who is baptised, can perform this "nøddåb"/ad hoc baptism. And if the baptism should be rather soon than later, then the person who will perform the baptism can just say: "XX, I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit".

Muhler, what do you think a godparent does then?

The "Gudfar/Gudmor" is also "fadder".
Thank you, FasterB, I knew we could count on you to provide additional details.

I had no idea laymen could also baptise.

As for a godparent. 500 years ago (and recently for that matter) being a godparent was a genuine commitment rather than an honor. In case the parents died, or were unable or unwilling to bring up the child (primarily as a Christian, that was main point of it all) it was your responsibility to take over from the parents. In some cases, you actually adopted the child, in other cases you became a guardian, or a patron/sponsor of the child. At the very least your status in relations to the child would be a kind of honorary uncle/father. - And the child owed you respect accordingly.
But this was a two-way-arrangement. The godparent cemented his/her position in the society as good and reputable Christian. But it was also an extension and/or a confirmation of your network. (Another method was of course marriages).

Gotta go.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thank you, FasterB, I knew we could count on you to provide additional details.
I´m glad to add these details

Quote:
I had no idea laymen could also baptise.
They can but only if there´s not time for a priest to show up. Later, if the child survives, the parents can take the child to the church for a confirmation of the ad hoc baptism. Now that will not be a christening, since the child is already christened, it´s called "fremstilling af et hjemmedøbt barn". Sorry, I don´t know how to translate this to english...

Quote:
As for a godparent. 500 years ago (and recently for that matter) being a godparent was a genuine commitment rather than an honor. In case the parents died, or were unable or unwilling to bring up the child (primarily as a Christian, that was main point of it all) it was your responsibility to take over from the parents. In some cases, you actually adopted the child, in other cases you became a guardian, or a patron/sponsor of the child. At the very least your status in relations to the child would be a kind of honorary uncle/father. - And the child owed you respect accordingly.
But this was a two-way-arrangement. The godparent cemented his/her position in the society as good and reputable Christian. But it was also an extension and/or a confirmation of your network. (Another method was of course marriages).

Gotta go.
That is still what people generally thinks the godparents/faddere does. But when it comes to the church then the one caring the child for the christening and the other "faddere" are the same. There´s no difference
So if we talk purely legally then it´s only in "folkemunde" that the term "Gudfar/Gudmor" exist. It has never existed in the church. There it "only" has been faddere/witnesses

Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
If I might add there is a increasing number of parents that are prefering a namegiving instead of a christening.
Quote:
Indeed there is, not least in the cities.
Do you have any numbers on this? I think that, if there´s a slighty increasing, it is due to the fact that there are more people in the cities which are not christians, but muslims or other religions.

I think the numbers of danes getting christened are the same, but I don´t know for sure :)
Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Aristocracy

I don't have any statistics but namegiving is the most popular choice in my family and amongst friends and collegues.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedikte View Post
I don't have any statistics but namegiving is the most popular choice in my family and amongst friends and collegues.
Who officiates at a name-giving and where is one held? Is the baby's name kept a secret beforehand? I'm intrigued!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

You can name your child through "Namegiving" if you do not want your child to be christened. The child must be named before the age of six months. You fill in a form. Do you and the child's father joint custody, you must each sign the form.

Indeed these are modern times:)
Old 12-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Nobility

Not long to go now, I doubt Mary will keep the baby weight - she will be exercising again as soon as able, I'm sure. Pity really, she does look good with a few extra pounds!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I think I must be one of very few who thinks she looks best when svelte...haha. Not that she looks at all bad when pregnant, not at all

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Courtier

I see baby watch is still quiet. Has the blizzard hit yet?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee4855 View Post
I see baby watch is still quiet. Has the blizzard hit yet?
It's pretty bad in the south of Zealand, Fyn and Bornholm etc. now and is slowly reaching the area where I live - north of Copenhagen, not far from Fredensborg. So Copenhagen must feel it now, as well. Good thing they didn't decide to join the rest of the family at southern Jutland for Christmas. It's said to be pretty chaotic on the roads and trains with all this snow and thousands of people travelling to their Christmas destinations.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Courtier

Stay safe! I hope you are not having to travel. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
Not long to go now, I doubt Mary will keep the baby weight - she will be exercising again as soon as able, I'm sure. Pity really, she does look good with a few extra pounds!
The biggest health problem in Denmark is lack of excercise.

CP Frederik is the main speaker of excercise and the fight against par example diabetes.

CP Frederik himself has run marathon and joining in bicycle race.

He also bicycles the children to kindergarten and school.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
I agree - I think Mary looks fantastic, and I hope she stays that little bit plumper, as she was when she met Prince Frederik. It really suits her body AND her face. Mary will soon reach that age where you can start to look gaunt if you're "fashion model thin". Models are usually genetically very different from the rest of us ... and Mary has a normal build. I loved the cover photo recently where she looked unbelievably normal. She doesn't need a fairy tale in the press - I hope she doesn't feel pressured to conform to a celebrity stereotype. It's nice that she takes her role of model for Danish fashion seriously, but I for one am pleased to see her "not skinny".

I also think Mette-Marit and Victoria are great role models as princesses "of normal build", particularly Mette - who is quite large but still absolutely beautiful.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee4855 View Post
Stay safe! I hope you are not having to travel. Happy Holidays!
Thank you No travel on my part and am quite prepared to be 'snowed in' Happy Holidays to you too.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Thank you No travel on my part and am quite prepared to be 'snowed in' Happy Holidays to you too.
I am so with you on being snowed in. Fireplace, good book, soup cooking and something warm to drink. I am as happy as can be.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Courtier

I have been coming on here every day lately, more than once too! I just keep hoping for early good news. I am sure the news will explode into every media facet as soon as anything happens so I am sure i won't miss anything. You can never be too prepared though!
I think Mary does pilates so thats how she keeps her long, slender and muscular figure. I have no doubt that she will want to get back to her pre babies figure as soon as she is ready too. And no-ones body is ever the same after 1 baby let alone 4! But she does have good genes!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal View Post
I agree - I think Mary looks fantastic, and I hope she stays that little bit plumper, as she was when she met Prince Frederik. It really suits her body AND her face. Mary will soon reach that age where you can start to look gaunt if you're "fashion model thin". Models are usually genetically very different from the rest of us ... and Mary has a normal build. I loved the cover photo recently where she looked unbelievably normal. She doesn't need a fairy tale in the press - I hope she doesn't feel pressured to conform to a celebrity stereotype. It's nice that she takes her role of model for Danish fashion seriously, but I for one am pleased to see her "not skinny".

I also think Mette-Marit and Victoria are great role models as princesses "of normal build", particularly Mette - who is quite large but still absolutely beautiful.
I think that CP Mary is excercising because she likes it and is healthy too. CP Frederik also excercises a lot.

CP Victoria is also very interested in health issues and excercise.

IMO CP Mette Marit could do moore excercise. She would be moore healthy.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Well, from everything you can read I gather that Mary has always been quiet sporty, she participated in hockey, swimming, riding, basketball (IIRC) in school, so I think it is safe to assume, that she works out because she likes it, and not because she wants to be "Fashion model thin"
Old 12-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Lets stay on topic discussing Mary and not other royals.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Aristocracy

Please, oh please babies arrive soon!! We can't wait that long!

Can you at least arrive by the end of the week??? Please???
We want to see you and I am more than convinced that your gorgeous mommy would be more than relieved to see you coming soon!

Closed Thread