Lord Frederick Windsor and Miss Sophie Winkleman 12th September 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the big disappointment about the wedding is unnecessary. Lord Frederick Windsor is 32th in line of succession, he is the son of the youngest child of the previous Duke of Kent. I doubt that we will see a "royal wedding" if Lord Nicholas Windsors son Albert will marry some day. Plus it was a private occassion and for that we have at least wonderful pictures of the wedding couple and some papparazzi-pics of the guests, and that should be it. :flowers:

:previous:

She looks gorgeous in the picture in the car!! Thanks for posting.

Princess Elisabeth von Thurn und Taxis writes a very entertaining column called "The Princess Diaries" for the British magazine Finch's Quarterly Review.
In this link scroll down to the second item ("The September Issue"). It leads into her report of Lord Frederick's wedding, which she attended.

For starters, here's an opening section:

Over the weekend I was invited to a very old friend’s wedding, thankfully here in London. Weddings can be either lots of fun or very boring so I really try and be as selective as I can about which ones I attend. This wedding was a must because the groom and I go way back. When we were children both he and his sister would come to our summer house every year. Our summer house was always perfect mayhem with all these different kids piled together under the same roof.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to this thread and these are the first photos I have seen of Lord Frederick's wedding. A few observations...

Why why why is the British press so mean and catty??! I know that Princess Michael is not the most popular member of "The Firm" but this poor woman simply cannot catch a break it seems. I do think she was showing too much cleavage, but she is a strikingly beautiful woman even now(one paper reported her age as 45, which made me howl with laughter!) If I was Sophie, the last thing I'd want to do is plan a wedding on this scale with such a limited budget...so thank goodness for Princess Michael and the generosity of her well-connected friends.:)

The bride's gown was stunning, if a bit daring. Again, too much cleavage for a Royal/Aristo wedding, but thank goodness her veil seems to be covering her shoulders as much as possible. She's a beautiful young woman.

Princess Eugenie is becoming very pretty, and Lady Gabriella is striking.

Lady Helen Taylor is still a real beauty.

Marie-Chantal looks great..her complexion tanned and youthful...but really. She is over forty and looks to be bra-less..I mean she is really SAGGING!!

I'm sure I'll have more comments as I go along.....:flowers:

The Kents are probably my favorite royals and I wish there were more photos available of them.

I nearly fell off my chair reading this line from today's Daily Mail: "[Princess Michael] was all got-up like an old-fashioned plantation mistress from the Deep South, hitching up her petticoats to flee from the antebellum mansion that had become her prison and marry Big Sam in a cotton field."

The article is yet another swipe at the Kent's, which is too bad, but the writing is quite comical:

Daily Mail: At what age should a woman cover up? It's Princess Push-Up thrusting forward the question...

If you had not posted the article as proof, I would never have believed such a derogatory and nasty statement was printed about Princess Michael...but again...this IS the London Daily Mail so perhaps I would have.:bang:

Just way, way beyond the pale.

I just purchased the new issue of Majesty, and The Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor are on the cover. The article was written by Ingrid Seward and Joe Little and it provides previously unplublished photos (the couple with their little bridesmaids and several photos from inside the church).

Its an informative article. It confirms a lot attendance of a lot of the people already mentioned in the thread and confirms a couple of things (at least for me):

1) The Queen, the DoE, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall were NOT invited but it was not done as a insult. Apparently Freddie knew that they enjoyed their summer in Scotland and didn't want to pressure them;
2) All the Kent relatives were invited and attended with the exception of Marina Olgilvy who was invited but was unable to attend due to illness (which explains the lack of picture of her);
3) The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester were invited but had a previous engagement, but the Earl of Ulster and Lady Rose Gilman (and her husband) attended as we know;
4) There were TONS of Princess Michael Kent's relatives in attendance including her brothers and cousins (there is a lovely shot of the family including the Duke and Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra of Kent);
5) Some other royals who were in attendance (apologize in advance if this a duplicate): Princess Alexander Romanoff, Archduke Phillip Haspburg, Prince Phillip and Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstien, Prince and Princess Francesco Monacada (I have never heard of these people...are they Austrian royalty?).
6) This was very much a "family" style wedding in the sense that there were a lof of people who had a role in Freddie's life: his two nannies, his teachers and housemasters from Oxford. They don't mention anything personal about Sophie.
7) Both parents saw the newylweds off the next day at the airport. Which is a lovely thing to do IMO.

Well that's it. If you get a chance to purchase the magazine, I would encourage you to do so. There aren't a ton of pictures but they are nice nonethless. And if you are like me, and you like the Kents as a bonus there is also a nice article on the late Duke and Duchess of Kent's wedding. The first of a three part series on the Kents.

Thank you for your informative post, Zonk. :flowers: Is somebody able to scan some pics maybe? :)

Zonk said:
Prince and Princess Francesco Monacada (I have never heard of these people...are they Austrian royalty?).

I think you mean Prince and Princess Francesco Moncada di Paterno. They are not Austrian but powerful Italian (Sicilian ) noble/princely family.

Don Francesco Moncada dei Principi di Paterno was born in 1967 to Don Giovanni Moncada and Joan Whelan. He married Marina Caprotti in September of 2003 in London. They have two children (their first child was born in 2005 and the second son, Pietro, was born in April of 2008). Francesco (who is better known by his nickname ‘Chicco’) is a successful businessman; I believe he has something to do with importing cheese (a special sort of mozzarella) to Britain and supplies a lot of ‘it’ places like Claridge’s and Annabel’s. I know that he and Marina are good friends with Crown Prince Pavlos and Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece but I have no idea how they are connected to the Kents.

Francesco Moncada is not related to Salvador Moncada – the husband of Princess Marie-Esmeralda of Belgium.

Thank you very much for providing the additional information from Majesty, Zonk! :flowers:

Last edited:
Marsel thanks for the correction.

After I saw your post, I went back to the article and what I wrote is what is written, so it looks like it was a typo and the Majesty forget to add di Paterno.

And you are welcome! I don't believe we are allowed to scan the pictures. Copyright laws.

Sad to see such a low number of senior royals.
Congrats to the couple!

She had the worst royal dress I ever see - uh it was horrible! Autumn Phillips out did her, her dress was beautiful!

Princess Michael of Kent leaves Lady Annabel Goldsmith's house Ormeley Lodge en- route to the wedding of Lord Frederick Windsor and Sophie Winkleman at Hampton Court Palace in Richmond upon Thames, England.(12/09/2009).:)

http://i31.tinypic.com/6dzh2h.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/2gydp4o.jpg

Girls, here are a few photos of Lady Gabriella Windsor.

http://i28.tinypic.com/11ax153.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/dcd9if.jpg
http://

The Kent ladies looked fantastic! Beautiful colours and jewels - P Michael's necklace in particular! ;)

I agree, Sophie chose one of the ugliest and least appropriate (see the top part :ermm:) wedding dresses. I'm sorry, I can't look at that thing twice.:cool:

The Kent ladies looked fantastic! Beautiful colours and jewels - P Michael's necklace in particular! ;)

I agree, Sophie chose one of the ugliest and least appropriate (see the top part :ermm:) wedding dresses. I'm sorry, I can't look at that thing twice.:cool:

I agree M-C looked wonderful. The dress and the necklace were very special. Does anybody have any ideas to the provenance of the necklace?

I only know that she's wearing that necklace since the 1980s. But the origin? I'd like to know that as well.

I only know that she's wearing that necklace since the 1980s. But the origin? I'd like to know that as well.

Now I'm even more curious: Could M-C have bought it back then or inherited it from Marina and decided to start wearing it in the 80s? How could we find out? :ermm:

I don't know. I checked my pictures of Marina and she has never worn this necklace (but I'm pretty certain if she had owned such a piece she would have worn it). The only information I found in my book is that parts of the necklace can be worn as brooches/clips. :ermm:

M-C inherited some jewels from the Duchess of Windsor. I'm not sure which ones are from that bequest; possibly this one.

I don't know. I checked my pictures of Marina and she has never worn this necklace (but I'm pretty certain if she had owned such a piece she would have worn it). The only information I found in my book is that parts of the necklace can be worn as brooches/clips. :ermm:

Looking at the necklace, I too thought the clasps probably were brooches / hair clips that she, or a previous owner, had converted into a necklace.

Hmm this wedding for such a minor royal was very nice, i wish we had access to pictures inside the chapel! I wish princess Michael had lent Sophie one of her 2 tiaras! The Festoon pearl & Diamond is so nice it would of looked lovely on Sophie. I also think the dress was nice in some parts but It was obvious the dress designer wasn't top notch. The cut looks horrible in the chest area but I mean Horrible, just take a look for yourself here. And the hoop they used under the dress was to big and the dress was not touching the floor seen here.

^ And these are exactly the reasons why I consider her wedding dress one of the worst of all times.:lol: Thanks for providing the 'evidence'!;)

^ And these are exactly the reasons why I consider her wedding dress one of the worst of all times.:lol: Thanks for providing the 'evidence'!;)

I wouldn't say the worst this is definitely the worst. Her dress had a lot of potential but princess pushy is always getting in the way and this time she actually made it look bad. I wouldn't be surprised if she sabotaged her daughter in laws dress so she could look better.:whistling:

You should pick your words. Princess Michael of Kent would never do such a thing to the soul mate of her dearly beloved son.

You should pick your words. Princess Michael of Kent would never do such a thing to the soul mate of her dearly beloved son.

Oh yes she would! And she did by not allowing her to wear one of her beautiful tiaras yet she wore some of her most sparkly beautiful jewels! Also her dress was extremely, extremely low cut not on accident I might add! Also she wore an evening gown where anyone knows weddings in the morning or afternoon a woman is suppose to wear a short dress. Only at white tie weddings does one wear gowns. She also chose the dress designer for her daughter in Law. I like Princess Michael, but what's true is true, she rightfully deserves the title Princess Pushy!

I wouldn't be surprised if she sabotaged her daughter in laws dress so she could look better.:whistling:

That's an overstatement, if you ask me. If that was the case, then M-C should have sabotaged her daughter who looked stunning, too.;) Let's not go down that route.:flowers:

I agree. If there is any criticism to be had about this wedding, it is that Princess Michael appears to have wanted more media attention than the wedding actually received and there is no way that sabotaging a wedding dress would help her achieve this goal! The past 20 years have shown that she has a tendency toward things garish and over-the-top- we all knew she would show up to this wedding having pulled out all the stops for her fashion. I was not surprised in the least to see the bright pink flowers in her hair- this is simply who she is!! When Gabriella gets married, I fully expect to see something similar.

Back
Top Bottom