The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've been to many funerals in my time and the open caskets just scare me to death. I went to one funeral, when I was a kid, and the casket was rolled into each row of seats for all the mourners to view and I nearly lost my mind.

My family know not to have my casket open when the good Lord calls me home. Put a flag or standard over it and call it a day.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Open caskets are quite normal in Ireland at funeral and wakes,so I'm used to them and they don't bother me.(My late grandparents/grand aunts/uncles/father's funerals all had them).

Old 12-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Majesty

Michiko of Japan has arrived
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...dd9955a057b39f
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
That's, ladies and gentlemen, a true exemple of friendship, dignity and royal behaviour. Hats off.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

It all seems very poignant now that people from all over the world have started to arrive in time for tomorrow's events. This time last week, who could have imagined it.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

AFP news agency

Old 12-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think what matters most is what was stated in Queen Fabiola's wishes. That the people who loved and cared about her most would be there. I think she would more appreciate someone like our Maria-Olivia being there than which representative of the British royal family attended.

People should be there and attend because they want to be and not because they're required to be.

Just my opinion.
I agree with you..
Old 12-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The wishes of the late Queen Fabiola are not so important. She is no private individual but a former Queen of the Belgians, a very public figure in the heart of Belgian society. Earlier this week from her Confessor, the Abbot Benoît Lobet, Doyen of Enghien, a slip of the tongue was heard: he claims Queen Fabiola did not want to be laid in state: she would have ordered "the ugliest coffin possible" to prevent this. He claims that Queen Fabiola also did not want a Funeral Mass in the Cathédrale des Saints Michel et Gudule but "just" a small gathering in the local Église Notre-Dame de Laeken. The old Queen considered herself a true parishioner of that church close to the royal domain of Laeken. It is very strange that a Confessor has been so slippery with his tongue, but we all can see that none of both wishes of the late Fabiola is followed. It is the King whom decides in this matter and his House organizes a royal funeral. So your assumption about Fabiola's wishes concerning her guests: her wishes are not relevant.[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]
Smiles. Oh I agree and I imagine Fabiola came to realize that what she would have liked just wouldn't be possible. I think along the same lines would be The Duke of Edinburgh preferring something simple and no muss nor fuss but being resigned to the fact that he will have a full state funeral as it is not only he that would be being honored, but his position and contributions to the UK as a whole.

The more I read, the more I come to realize what a fabulous person Queen Fabiola was.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Empress Michiko leaves Japan for the funeral of Queen Fabiola.

Empress Michiko arrive in Belgium for the funeral of Queen Fabiola.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It all seems very poignant now that people from all over the world have started to arrive in time for tomorrow's events. This time last week, who could have imagined it.
Very touching indeed.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Majesty

It is nice to learn that Empress Michiko will be in attendance. The send-off ceremony is very formal though.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
According to various sources the British Royals will not send any representative to the funerals :

Funérailles de Fabiola: beaucoup de musique à la cathédrale, le témoignage du personnel à Laeken | Belgique - lesoir.be

If i remember well there was an alleged rift between the two families because the Belgian Court "only" sent the then Prince Albert to the funerals of George VI. Then the presence of "only" Princess Margaret to the 1960 royal wedding was seen as more or less a cold response from the BRF. Finally the exceptionnal attendance of QEII to the funerals of King Baudoin supposedly ended any more trouble between the two families.
We can now only speculate about this (not so surprising ?) decision from the BRF...

When Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother died in 1999 not only did then King Albert attend, but his heir, the then Philippe Duc de Brabant attended as well. Queen Mathilde and King Philippe were warmly received by QEII in Britain only a couple of months ago. So if there is some sort of rift or disagreement between the two Houses it is a very, very recent one.

So I guess this means that when the current queen and the duke of Edinburgh pass on it will be acceptable for Philippe to simply dispatch his ambassador to the funeral?

Queen Fabiola's late husband King Baudouin was a member of the Order of The Garter.

The most charitable thing I can say about this decision by the Windsors is that it is baffling

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Thanks saintgilles. I have not been able to really see HM's hair in the photos...is it styled at all?

It's lovely that you were able to go and pay your respects.
There's part of me that thinks, of all things, the hair has to be right. For God's sake, at least get the hairdo she always wanted.

I'm mainly joking, but I adore Fabiola in all her quirkiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Queen Fabiola's late husband King Baudouin was a member of the Order of The Garter.

The most charitable thing I can say about this decision by the Windsors is that it is baffling
Seriously disappointing. This is a deep disappointment for me.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness

Death of Queen Fabiola: December 5, 2014

The King and Queen of Sweden will probably fly to Brussels in the early morning hours as they held a dinner for the Nobel laureates until a few hours ago. I'll be planespotting at Stockholm Bromma Airport in a few hours so i'll see if i can catch their departure in the camera lens.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Aristocracy

I'd just like to thank all the contributors to this thread. It has really been a community effort to gather all the information together on the passing of Fabiola and what to expect at her funeral service. Thank you very much, everybody for the good work.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Courtier

She lived a long life now that pain of losing her spouse is over they are reunited.
May HM Queen Fabiola R.I.P
Old 12-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

The British royal family will according to the Belgian media not attend the funeral of Queen Fabiola, but be represented by the British ambassador to Belgium.
I adore The Queen, and I like Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine, but this surprises me.
The British royal family has been present at every major royal funeral in the past 30 years.

Emperor Hirohito's funeral in 1989. The Duke of Edinburgh.
King Olav's funeral in 1991. Charles.
King Baudouin's funeral in 1993. The Queen.
Queen Ingrid's funeral in 2000. Charles.
Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte's funeral in 2005. Andrew.
Prince Rainier's funeral in 2005. Andrew.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
The British royal family will according to the Belgian media not attend the funeral of Queen Fabiola, but be represented by the British ambassador to Belgium.
I adore The Queen, and I like Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine, but this surprises me.
The British royal family has been present at every major royal funeral in the past 30 years.

Emperor Hirohito's funeral in 1989. The Duke of Edinburgh.
King Olav's funeral in 1991. Charles.
King Baudouin's funeral in 1993. The Queen.
Queen Ingrid's funeral in 2000. Charles.
Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte's funeral in 2005. Andrew.
Prince Rainier's funeral in 2005. Andrew.
This is really surprising to me. I really thought at least one member of the British royal family would be in attendance.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Aristocracy

Don't know if it's been reported here already but I read that Will Tura will once again sing "Hoop doet leven," this time for Fabiola.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star View Post
She lived a long life now that pain of losing her spouse is over they are reunited.
May HM Queen Fabiola R.I.P

The words she allegedly spoke to her confessor Father Benoit sent a chill up my spine..."This old lady's work is done. Now I will go to my beloved".

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968

Tags
death, fabiola, queen fabiola