The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Courtier

My understanding is that M has lived in London before and had very little public attention, media focus because the public don't really have that much interest in the Swedish Royal family.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The swedish royal experts and reporters have always said that Madeleine is very strong willed and does always like she wants. But with Jonas she had to bend to the king's will.
But the most important thing in her life (the partner choice) made it back.
If you knew about infidelity and had forgiven he had to fight more. As perhaps did victoria with her prince.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I agree. There are rumours about how Madeleine wanted renounce to her HRH status at the time of the wedding but that her father persuaded her not to.
Madeleine has always struck me as someone who marched to the beat of her own drum, so it doesn't surprise me that she picked up sticks and moved her family to London. She's not essential to the royal family, not really, not anymore. Now that Carl Philip is married, his wife can help share some of the load that Silvia and Victoria have to deal with, and Madeleine, Chris, and their children are free to live somewhat normal lives away from all that, returning for big family to-dos like weddings, birthdays, and maybe the Nobel Prizes.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Didn't Madeleine study for a brief period in London? I remember reading an article in Hello years ago that she was obliged to move back to Sweden because of the paparazzi in London. I wasn't a follower of the SRF back then so I don't recall the details but this must be more than ten years ago now.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Didn't Madeleine study for a brief period in London? I remember reading an article in Hello years ago that she was obliged to move back to Sweden because of the paparazzi in London. I wasn't a follower of the SRF back then so I don't recall the details but this must be more than ten years ago now.
From her biography
"Princess Madeleine spent time in England in the autumn of 2001 for English language studies".
Biography - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 09-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think living in London is the best of all worlds for all concerned. Makes perfect sense. In fact, raising the children in London may not be an issue in a few years. Victoria will be having her second child, and who knows? She may have a third one day. Sofia is looking very fertile in the picture I just saw of her. I doubt Carl Philip and Sofia will stop at one child. So it's all moot.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson, Svensk Damtidning's royal reporter Johanna Lejon and Aftonbladet Klick's reporter xxx discussed at a Aftonbladet-TV podcast about Madeleine's many moves.
About the move to London they said that it is rumoured that they moved to Belgravia, one of the most exquisite areas in London where many celebrities live. Alexandersson said that it will not be easy for them with the publicity and paparazzis. Madeleine is very bothered of them, and Chris has already showed photographers his middle finger. Alexandersson said that she has had calls from german and british photographers living in London, they know exact the date when Madeleine and Chris moved but they don't know where and they try to fish for information from Alexandersson. Johanna Lejon says that if they found the princess in New York, they will find a princess in London.
They talked also about Madeleine's many moves, and the big and expensive renovation made to their their new, bigger apartment at the Royal Mews a couple of years ago. They said that Madeleine's moves had made headlines and this expensive renovation with a lot of luxurious details made to their home made headlines. The renovation was paid by the taxpayers, but Madeleine and Chris paid the special details themselves. They said that Madeleine perhaps doesn't still understand that these kind of things get to the press and make big headlines.
Prinsessan Madeleines krav p boende
Old 09-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

What about leaving them alone now? I don't get all the bash against Madeleine and her family, frankly. I am sure the press will find something to complain about even now that they basically flew away from Sweden.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
What about leaving them alone now? I don't get all the bash against Madeleine and her family, frankly. I am sure the press will find something to complain about even now that they basically flew away from Sweden.
I agree, bashing people is not good. I hope that they all get left alone in London. Belgravia is a nice area of London.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
I agree, bashing people is not good. I hope that they all get left alone in London. Belgravia is a nice area of London.
the media will keep up making up stuff though, no matter what. Othewise, they don't have a target for negative things to say!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning has an article about Madeleine’s new home. They know where it is but don't tell the address. Svensk Damtidning tells: SD visited the princess family's block and it's restaurants, gym and hair salons. With Sunday coziness at gallery Saatchi, dinners at Bibendum Oyster Bar and walks with children at the Hyde Park. Madeleine lives at a luxury address in one of most exclusive neighborhoods in London. The living room has light wallpapers, which match with the beige curtains at the pompous windows. In the living room isn't any furniture yet. When SD visits the area we see a man who washes the gates in the area, and he washes even Madeleine’s beautiful black door before he greets the security guard who stands at the neighbor's door. The couple has a small inner courtyard where the children can run without to be seen. On the other side of the street is a private park where only the residents of the area have access. But that is not a park for loud children’s plays, the children must stay quiet and the dogs are not allowed to go there.
SD writes also that at Madeleine's neighborhood there is a lot of luxury cars, and at the gym and jogging trips one can meet superstars like Gwyneth Paltrow. Madeleine and Chris love dinners at the restaurants, and they are lucky – two of London's top restaurants are in the area: Ametsa at the Halkin Hotel and Amaya. And it would take only 13 minutes for Madeleine to walk to get her hair done at Richard Ward's salon, where the duchess of Cambridge goes. Gym KX is a perfect place to train, you must be a member, it is also a perfect place to make contacts.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Its clear that breadwinner Chris has to work night and day to be able to afford London life
Old 09-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Royal Highness

Sounds like a tough life she's living in London..
Old 09-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Amaya is in the Belgravia section of London. It is the west of Green Park and BP and south of Hyde Park. One of the most expensive areas and very wealthy residents.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Richard Ward's salon is in Sloane Square so Madeleine must live near there. Sophie also has her hair done by Richard but he comes to Buckingham Palace to do her hair and I imagine he goes to Kensington to do Kate's.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson, Svensk Damtidning's royal reporter Johanna Lejon and Aftonbladet Klick's reporter xxx discussed at a Aftonbladet-TV podcast about Madeleine's many moves.
About the move to London they said that it is rumoured that they moved to Belgravia, one of the most exquisite areas in London where many celebrities live. Alexandersson said that it will not be easy for them with the publicity and paparazzis. Madeleine is very bothered of them, and Chris has already showed photographers his middle finger. Alexandersson said that she has had calls from german and british photographers living in London, they know exact the date when Madeleine and Chris moved but they don't know where and they try to fish for information from Alexandersson. Johanna Lejon says that if they found the princess in New York, they will find a princess in London.
They talked also about Madeleine's many moves, and the big and expensive renovation made to their their new, bigger apartment at the Royal Mews a couple of years ago. They said that Madeleine's moves had made headlines and this expensive renovation with a lot of luxurious details made to their home made headlines. The renovation was paid by the taxpayers, but Madeleine and Chris paid the special details themselves. They said that Madeleine perhaps doesn't still understand that these kind of things get to the press and make big headlines.
Prinsessan Madeleines krav p boende
As I suspected, Madeleine won't have the same degree of privacy in London that she enjoyed in New York. To make things worse, she won't have the protection she would have in Sweden living in a Crown estate.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:15 PM

First time poster here!

I am not sure if this is true in other countries, but in the United States, many "perks" are charged as business expenses. For examples, a lawyer friend of mine charges his beach club fees to his law company as well as the yearly lease on his new car. Dinners at expensive restaurants are often written off as business expenses as well. Perhaps Chris does the same -- since his job REQUIRES that he and his family reside in the UK, maybe the Purple Dragon is a write-off.

Just a thought. Personally, how Maddy and Chris pay for their private lifestyle is their private concern IMHO.

But, I would add that I don't think Chris is as wealthy as has been claimed in other places. Where they lived in NYC was not the most fashionable and expensive by far, and I never read about their being out and about beyond the "official" engagements.The notion that Chris is a fabulously wealthy American/British financier is romantic but probably not realistic.

In any event, I am looking forward to the christening: seeing the adorable children, being envious of the lovely clothes, and wondering what I will have for lunch that day since MY invitation seems to have been lost in the mail!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
First time poster here!

I am not sure if this is true in other countries, but in the United States, many "perks" are charged as business expenses. For examples, a lawyer friend of mine charges his beach club fees to his law company as well as the yearly lease on his new car. Dinners at expensive restaurants are often written off as business expenses as well. Perhaps Chris does the same -- since his job REQUIRES that he and his family reside in the UK, maybe the Purple Dragon is a write-off.

Just a thought. Personally, how Maddy and Chris pay for their private lifestyle is their private concern IMHO.

But, I would add that I don't think Chris is as wealthy as has been claimed in other places. Where they lived in NYC was not the most fashionable and expensive by far, and I never read about their being out and about beyond the "official" engagements.The notion that Chris is a fabulously wealthy American/British financier is romantic but probably not realistic.

In any event, I am looking forward to the christening: seeing the adorable children, being envious of the lovely clothes, and wondering what I will have for lunch that day since MY invitation seems to have been lost in the mail!
Chris is self-employed, isn't he ? I guess that pretty much rules out his expenses being charged to his business.

Chris' finances are indeed shrouded in mystery. There have been reports in the past that his business ventures were not doing so well and he might even have had some financial trouble, but no concrete evidence has ever shown up. Madeleine, on the other hand, is a millionaire in her own right and might be footing part of the bill. There is always speculation that she may also get some money from her father although, if she does, the money probably comes from Carl Gustaf's private funds and not from the State appanage.

The appanage itself is a block grant paid to the Royal Court of Sweden and currently divided up between the King's Household, the Queen Consort's Household, the Crown Princess' Household, and the Royal Mews. A separate block grant is destined to the maintenance and operation of the Royal Palaces. Madeleine and CP do not get any money directly from the Swedish taxpayers, although they may be reimbursed from appanage money when they perform official duties on behalf of the King. As mentioned before, Madeleine's wedding and the renovation of her apartment in the Royal Mews were partially paid for with State funds.

Royal Finances - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 09-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
According to Expressen, it had documents of testaments, Chris inherited 7 million SEK when his father died in 2004, and shared his fathers cars, furniture etc with his three half-sisters. And in 2007 he and his three half-sisters shared an inheritance of 3 million SEK from their aunt, the nun Cathleen.
So if Chris inherited 7 million + 750000 SEK = 7 750 000 SEK, that is about 950 000 USD in today's currency. And if he works as hard as he claims, has good salary and has invested his fortune well, he can be a quite rich man.
The swedish press writes about him as a millionaire, and that he is, if it is talked in SEK.
Chris arv efter sin pappa_ 7 miljoner _ Dokument _ Expressen
Old 09-18-2015, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

Good grief, The man's finances should be his own and private He is not a public figure, just married one. Yes he did inherit money from family, no one's business [except his wife's] As long as he can pay bills and not asking for public hand-outs, good for him. Don't know anything about the man personally, but he seems to be doing well and the way he and wife wants it. Hope they are both happy, healthy and content.

Tags
chris o'neill, london, princess leonore, princess madeleine