Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill Expecting First Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, I'm not following. Why is that so?

Like Zara Phillips the Swedish kid could do what he/she wants, enjoying all the freedom of 'commoners'. The chance of Madeleine's offspring on the throne is close to zero. If the kid makes the line of succession, it will be subject to scrutiny & critizism because it is supposed to serve Sweden somehow, plus the family wont even live in Sweden on a permanent basis.

Congratulations to Madeleine and Chris! :twohearts:

I agree. I believe they will take the route Princess Christina took. No titles or HRH or HH. Just O'Neil.

We can't compare Madeleine with Princess Christina. Princess Christina had no choice, when she married Tord Magnuson. As a result of her unequal marriage, princess Christina lost her style of Royal Highness and received the courtesy title of Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson. Princess Madeleine is still HRH Princess Madeleine, Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.

Congratulations to Madeleine and Christopher! What a beautiful news!

What wonderful news: I'm very excited for them! I know they will make excellent parents!

On the question of religion, I do think that the child will be brought up as a protestant. As far as I know, Chris isn't a very devout catholic (like some of the belgian Royals, for example). The marriage was also a protestant one. They didn't even have a catholic priest attending and assisting (which is possible here if you ask for it).

The question of where the child is raised could possibly be a trickier one. We'll have to wait and see. My guess is that they will move to Sweden eventuall, but perhaps not until a couple of years from now.

Thanks, Xenobia,
you answered a few questions on my mind.

I guess it will only be an issue in say ten years time, if it turns out that Victoria and Daniel for whatever reason don't have more children and Carl Phillip don't have children either. Then I guess it would be advisible if Madeleine and Chris moved to Sweden at least for a part of the year.
As it would be a big risk and not advisable only to have one young heir to the throne in Sweden in a generation from now.

So we can imagine (and hope) the child will become a just-in-case-the-royal-line-needs-to-be-preserved-spare, because I honestly doubt Chris O'Neil and perhaps Madeleine too, are particularly keen about moving to Sweden and take on the royal obligations with all that entails of both of them. (Madeleine can still perform duties more or less solo).
In that light, what title is the child most likely to get?

Such a wonderful news! Seems like they'll have a honeymoon baby. :)

Congratulations to Her Royal Highness and to Mr. O'Neill!!! :flowers:

Wow they were very fast, but not as fast as members of the Monegasque Princely Family!:ROFLMAO:

I think they'll have a little girl (although I also predicted the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would have a girl).

Now I hope to see the Crown Princely couple announcing they'll have a second child, and Prince Carl Philip becoming engaged to Sofia Hellqvist.

Now I hope to see the Crown Princely couple announcing they'll have a second child, and Prince Carl Philip becoming engaged to Sofia Hellqvist.

That are also my wishes. Maybe we have a real year of joy in Sweden.

Can His Majesty The King grant the title of Count/Countess O'Neill to the children of Princess Madeleine?

Like the Counts and Countesses Bernadotte. It would be nice.

We can't compare Madeleine with Princess Christina. Princess Christina had no choice, when she married Tord Magnuson. As a result of her unequal marriage, princess Christina lost her style of Royal Highness and received the courtesy title of Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson. Princess Madeleine is still HRH Princess Madeleine, Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.

True, but I think it matters that Chris doesn't have a title. It seems strange that his child would get one if he doesn't have one. But I guess that's a patriarchal view of things. Since Madeleine is a duchess in her own right, it makes sense that she would get to pass down the title, no? I don't know how titles work in Sweden ...whether Maddie's title is just hers for her lifetime without rights to pass it down or not.

It's wise when older parents conceive right away. I think Guillaume and Stephanie should do the same. Stephanie is nearly thirty. Still young, but it's wise to have babies when young, if all is prepared for a good home. When I was pregnant at twenty-nine, the young girls in my pre-birth class wondered if I was "afraid" to have a baby at such an old age. Things have changed, twenty-nine is still young today, but still, mother nature has her schedule, which trumps our human designs.

I disagree. I think it's wise, when possible, to start a family only when you feel emotionally ready for the huge demands of parenthood. You can do that at the same time as being aware of the limitations of Mother Nature.

Stephanie only turned 29 this year. She is under no pressure whatsoever, but has(wisely) chosen to utilize her first year of marriage to become comfortable with her new role.

Kate and William did the same and I think it was smart of them.

Wow they were very fast, but not as fast as members of the Monegasque Princely Family!:ROFLMAO:

I laughed at your comment on the Monegasque family! :ROFLMAO:

I think that the Swedish Royal Family can do better than Sofia Hellqvist :whistling:

I think that the Swedish Royal Family can do better than Sofia Hellqvist :whistling:

Oh, I agree with you, but seems that Prince Carl Philip is in love with her. Crown Princess Mette-Marit was a surprise to us all, Sofia can be the same.

I think we are a bit off-topic now. :flowers:

Lets wait and see.

Last edited:
Is this the shortest time between wedding and pregancy announcement?

No...far from it. The Gotha is rife with pregnancy announcements that came within a few months of the wedding ceremony.

In fact until recently it was the norm, not the exception. Chris and Madeleine are doing it the old-fashioned way which surprises me. They seem so very "modern" in every way I thought they would wait a few years before starting a family.;)

Thanks, Xenobia,

In that light, what title is the child most likely to get?

I have a feeling that the child won't get a title for the moment. His/her father is not titled so I think the child will eventually get a title if, as you suggested, a "need" for more heirs will present itself in the future (which I think unlikely - I expect that CP Victoria will have at least one more child and Carl Phillip will become a father, too)

Am I the only one to think that they were awfully quick in announcing the pregnancy? I know an announcement is usually made during the third month of gestation and this is exactly 12 weeks after their wedding! Had there been speculations in the media I would have understood. Maybe they wanted to actually prevent the gossiping. Or maybe CP Victoria is pregnant, too...:)

Congratulations to Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill with the wonderful news of expecting a baby early March 2014!! I wish the mom-to-be an easy pregnancy surrounded by much love!!

Prince William (6/1982)came along pretty quickly after Charles and Diana (7/1981) were married so I don't see anything scandalous about Chris and Madeleine expecting so soon.

That's absolutely true! I hope so to, it would be a great year for the Royal Family (two babies and a wedding!) I think Victoria will be pregnant again soon, so I hope for two baby bumps at the Nobel Prices. :flowers:

I was wondering if the King would bestow the title Count or Countess of Bernadotte on the child ?

Then again they parent may not want any titles!

As far as I know, there aren't any situations that can be compared with this one. Princess Christina is close, but she isn't a HRH like Madeleine. I think that the royal palace is finding solutions as the situations develop - not before they happen.

My personal guess is that the child/children of Madeleine and Chris could be duke/duchesses of some swedish county. Like Carl Philip, who is duke of Värmland. When Madeleine and Jonas were engaged, he was set to become duke of Gästrikland and Hälsingland (like Madeleine), but not prince of Sweden. So you can have a duke/duchess title without being prince/princess.

CONGRATULATIONS to MADDIE AND CHRIS!

Happy news!

Some others were 'quick' too. Laurent & Claire married in April and Louise was born the next January, same with Grace & Rainier and Caroline.

I'm so surprised by this! It will be interesting to see how they handle media interest in the pregnancy while they are living in New York. I am also surprised by the timing of the announcement. King Carl Gustaf's Ruby Jubilee is just two weeks away and I think that they would have kept this quiet until after the Jubilee if they could. She might be further along than they are admitting.

I'm so surprised by this! It will be interesting to see how they handle media interest in the pregnancy while they are living in New York. I am also surprised by the timing of the announcement. King Carl Gustaf's Ruby Jubilee is just two weeks away and I think that they would have kept this quiet until after the Jubilee if they could. She might be further along than they are admitting.

She might be further along than they are admitting? ... Not necessarily.

Maybe there's another announcement to be made somewhen in the near future. I'm thinking of her brother of course ...

She might be further along than they are admitting? ... Not necessarily.

Maybe there's another announcement to be made somewhen in the near future. I'm thinking of her brother of course ...
or perhaps another pregnancy.....victoria and daniel have been acting all lovey dovey lately

Well...This isn't the pregnancy announcement from the SRF I was expecting this Fall, but I'll gladly take it!!

Such lovely news to learn. Congratulations to the Parents to Be and the entire Family!! I can't wait to see Estelle w/this little one. It's going to be so much fun watching these two cousins grow up.

Wonderful, wonderful news!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom