The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
[...]
Additionally, their bringing Leonore on public duties indicates, at least to me, that they are preparing her for a future active role as a member of the royal family [...]
I think you read way too much in this. It was an unique opportunity for the Princess and her family to meet the Pope in private. As her husband is Catholic, it might have meant a lot to him, to see his precious little daughter blessed and kissed by the Pontiff. It really says nothing about a future active role, the kid is just one year old...

Old 04-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I've noticed that Madeleine and Chris have been a bit more active within the past month, and have been bringing Leonore on some of their "official" duties, for instance, meeting the Pope.

Has this helped their public opinion at all?

Additionally, their bringing Leonore on public duties indicates, at least to me, that they are preparing her for a future active role as a member of the royal family (like Victoria and Daniel bring Estelle on many of their official visits or duties). Is this M&C's wish, or perhaps the desire of the Swedish Royal Family, since for the time being Leonore is the "spare" of this generation?

I believe their latest "happy family appearance" in the audience with the Pope may have eased some of the media speculation about a crisis in their marriage. But, then again, Chris didn't show up for the King's 69th birthday celebrations.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Serene Highness

The press seems to like to invent problems. Chris has a job he is not a royal therefore no need for him to attend every event.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

If Chrishad been ther, it would certainly rise complaints as to why he went there. Just saying... Press has it at this couple, seriously...
Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
The press seems to like to invent problems. Chris has a job he is not a royal therefore no need for him to attend every event.
That's exactly the problem, because he choses what events to attend. Meeting with the Pope, who would miss that? FIL's birthday, nah, I've got something better to do. We don't know what business is Chris attending to but it gives the impression that he makes himself available when it suits HIM.

If he wants to be a private person than be a private person but don't surface every time something big is on the agenda.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
That's exactly the problem, because he choses what events to attend. Meeting with the Pope, who would miss that? FIL's birthday, nah, I've got something better to do. We don't know what business is Chris attending to but it gives the impression that he makes himself available when it suits HIM.

If he wants to be a private person than be a private person but don't surface every time something big is on the agenda.
I am a Catholic so maybe I am biased, but meeting the Pope in a private audience, together with your wife and your precious little daughter, is really hors categorie and an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. So Mr O'Neill has my full understanding for being there, at the Vatican. He has to be selective, he still has to run a business and to make money for his expensive spouse... I guess it is a selection of this or that, not a selection of this and that.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I am a Catholic so maybe I am biased, but meeting the Pope in a private audience, together with your wife and your precious little daughter, is really hors categorie and an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. So Mr O'Neill has my full understanding for being there, at the Vatican. He has to be selective, he still has to run a business and to make money for his expensive spouse... I guess it is a selection of this or that, not a selection of this and that.

of course you are right, but the fact that he does a selection opens the door to critizism, he only got the audience because he is related to the SRF. So in cases like these he seizes the opportunity and makes use of his connections while on other occasions he doesnt have time (even family events, FIL's birthday). Its understandable but questionable at the same time.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Exactly...and who is not to say he didn't celebrate his father's in law's birthday privately with the rest of the family.

Let's face it folks...as a private citizen who works, who is married to a member of any royal family...there are going to be times during the royal work day when he is also working and won't be able to attend to certain events. So yes, he is going to pick and choose. I would imagine they are looking at his work schedule, and telling him of the events that he can possibly attend. Should he give up his job and live off the Swedish taxpayer

I am confused by what people want of Chris now. It seems to change daily.

Everyone uses family connections. It just that some connections are greater than others.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

Everyone uses family connections. It just that some connections are greater than others.
Sure, but don't be surprised of critizism or scrutiny.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Exactly...and who is not to say he didn't celebrate his father's in law's birthday privately with the rest of the family.

Let's face it folks...as a private citizen who works, who is married to a member of any royal family...there are going to be times during the royal work day when he is also working and won't be able to attend to certain events. So yes, he is going to pick and choose. I would imagine they are looking at his work schedule, and telling him of the events that he can possibly attend. Should he give up his job and live off the Swedish taxpayer

This. I suspect if there is tension/problems in his marriage it has to do with his exasperation at the nitpicking and potshots from the media. Only the strongest person would not be driven bonkers.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Frankly, I find it odd that he didn't attend the King's birthday celebrations now that he is living in Sweden. It's not like he has a good excuse and couldn't fit it into his agenda.

Besides, although he and his family are not exactly "living off taxpayers' money", aren't they living in an apartment at the Royal Mews ? Do they pay rent ?
Old 05-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:

This. I couldn't agree more. I liked Chris at first, but he has worked hard to make me change my mind. He just shows up when it suits him, not for any of the bread and butter events. Either he's a private person or he's not. Same goes for Madeleine.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Frankly, I find it odd that he didn't attend the King's birthday celebrations now that he is living in Sweden. It's not like he has a good excuse and couldn't fit it into his agenda.

Besides, although he and his family are not exactly "living off taxpayers' money", aren't they living in an apartment at the Royal Mews ? Do they pay rent ?
Again, who is to say he didn't attend the private celebrations [i.e. a birthday dinner]. Just because we didn't see him doens't mean nothing happened. I can't seem to recall the time it happened...but I would imagine that it happened during business/banking hours...and perhaps he was....I don't know...working. i am not sure what that is a hard concept to fathom.

Maybe its me who doesn't get it and I am the only person working. I go to someone office between a certain time during the daily [usually 7.5 hours], five days a week, answer phone calls and do things required my employer. All for a check that I receive twice a month. When there are personal things I need to during the work day, I work around my schedule.

Now Chris is self employed, and forgive me I am not familiar with his job...but I would imagine that he is doing research on particular companies, deciding which companies are good investments, speaking on the phone with his clients and potential investors [again during WORKING HOURS], and makes calculated financial decision based on his conversations and research. I would also imagine that he would need to throw in a royal appearance here and there because you can't tell your investor...Hey...you know that call we scheduled a month ago...I forgot its my FIL's birthday...and I have to go wave on the balcony. Nope...you continue your business call...and you go celebrate that evening.

Or perhaps the SRF, said...you know what...its not necessary for you to attend.

So because he lives in the Royal Mews he has to earn his keep....well...how much is that keep. How many events does he need to attend per month/year that would make it acceptable from the masses to live there. So if he paid rent...it would be okay.

Perhaps he should just buy something in Sweden, so he isn't living off the taxper...but than we hear about how the Royal Mews isn't good enough for Chris and Madde, and how much it costs for royal security at the new place, and people would criticize how much they spent decorating their new place.

IT. NEVER. ENDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
This. I couldn't agree more. I liked Chris at first, but he has worked hard to make me change my mind. He just shows up when it suits him, not for any of the bread and butter events. Either he's a private person or he's not. Same goes for Madeleine.
If Chris was a total private person we get complaints that no one ever sees him and the rumours , as evidenced here that there is trouble in the marriage because he doesn't support his wife at her events.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If Chris was a total private person we get complaints that no one ever sees him and the rumours , as evidenced here that there is trouble in the marriage because he doesn't support his wife at her events.
I can only speak for myself. I don't think there are problems in the marriage if they don't do everything together. I just would like them to make up their minds.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Majesty

[Perhaps he should just buy something in Sweden, so he isn't living off the taxper...but than we hear about how the Royal Mews isn't good enough for Chris and Madde, and how much it costs for royal security at the new place, and people would criticize how much they spent decorating their new place.

IT. NEVER. ENDS
]// quote

Zonk.. again I agree with every word. In fact I am officially giving you my posting proxy on this issue!
Old 05-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
of course you are right, but the fact that he does a selection opens the door to critizism, he only got the audience because he is related to the SRF. So in cases like these he seizes the opportunity and makes use of his connections while on other occasions he doesnt have time (even family events, FIL's birthday). Its understandable but questionable at the same time.

I know everyday average people who have managed to have an audience with the pope (or previous popes) so to say he only got the audience due to his connection to the SRF (who aren't even Catholic) is a bit of a stretch.

LaRae
Old 05-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
I can only speak for myself. I don't think there are problems in the marriage if they don't do everything together. I just would like them to make up their minds.
But that's just it. I think they have made up their minds[at least as it relates to Chris's role], its the royal watchers [both here, Germany and Sweden] who keep changing their minds.

IMO there are three options for Chris as it relates to the SRF. He can
1] remain a private citizen who just happens to live at the Mews [and pays his portion of rent not including Madde, Lenore and the new new baby. Just his portion...so he doesn't live off the taxpayer...wouldn't want that]. He attends NO royal events AT ALL. No public birthday celebrations, no royal weddings, no Noble events, etc. Sorry about your Catholic faith and all that...despite the fact your daughter has a chance to meet the Pope....the head of your church.....you can't go but we will bring pics back.
2] becomes a full fledged member of the SRF. Attends events with his wife when necessary, does solo events [pics up his own patronages] and Madde's appandage is increased as a result. Because of course, Chris is no longer supporting his wife, so somebody has to pay for that.
3] continues to work because he might actually enjoy it and it supports his lifestyle. Attends the occassional royal engagement which includes not limited to appearances at the duches, meeting the Pope, an occassional royal wedding, random appearance and maybe showing up at the Nobles. These events may or may not happen during his business hours or a business conflict and he attends events that he is interested in and might enjoy.

Obviously...some of my comments are tongue in cheek...but these are the alternatives that I see...it appears that Chris has chosen Option 3.....maybe I am missing something

Old 05-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Gentry

I totally agree with Zonk, people just love to criticize everything about Madeleine and Chris.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

Yes, they pay rent of their apartment to The National Property Board of Sweden.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But that's just it. I think they have made up their minds[at least as it relates to Chris's role], its the royal watchers [both here, Germany and Sweden] who keep changing their minds.

IMO there are three options for Chris as it relates to the SRF. He can
1] remain a private citizen who just happens to live at the Mews [and pays his portion of rent not including Madde, Lenore and the new new baby. Just his portion...so he doesn't live off the taxpayer...wouldn't want that]. He attends NO royal events AT ALL. No public birthday celebrations, no royal weddings, no Noble events, etc. Sorry about your Catholic faith and all that...despite the fact your daughter has a chance to meet the Pope....the head of your church.....you can't go but we will bring pics back.
2] becomes a full fledged member of the SRF. Attends events with his wife when necessary, does solo events [pics up his own patronages] and Madde's appandage is increased as a result. Because of course, Chris is no longer supporting his wife, so somebody has to pay for that.
3] continues to work because he might actually enjoy it and it supports his lifestyle. Attends the occassional royal engagement which includes not limited to appearances at the duches, meeting the Pope, an occassional royal wedding, random appearance and maybe showing up at the Nobles. These events may or may not happen during his business hours or a business conflict and he attends events that he is interested in and might enjoy.

Obviously...some of my comments are tongue in cheek...but these are the alternatives that I see...it appears that Chris has chosen Option 3.....maybe I am missing something

And I think everyone should be fine with #3. Why on earth should this not be a valid option?

People just like to find fault.

LaRae

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine