Engagement of Princess Madeleine and Jonas Bergström: August 11, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will their children be Princes or Princesses of Sweden?

it looks as if in the swedish royal family children inherit whatever the position of the father is before marriage. as such, the children of princess birgitta who married prince johan are princes of hohenzollern, princess desiree's children (who married a baron) are barons and baronesses and those of princess christina (married commoner) just took their father's surname. so i guess their children will just be "X bergstrom" or maybe the kind allows madeleine to pass her titles as duchess onto them.

are there any translations of what the couple told the press?

Last edited:
Waooo, It really surprises me! It's so great, I mean. Congrates to the new lovebrids!

In the British Royal Family, children inherit titles from their father - unless the woman is the Monarch, when her children are treated the same as they would be if she was King (if you see what I mean!). This is regardless of the fact that they are in the line of succession (both the English and Scottish Royal families, before they united in the person of James VI and I, had female succession if there were no sons). It all depends, therefore, on whether the father already has a title when they marry (or if he gets a title on marriage) or if he remains plain Mr. Princes Margaret's children are titled, but Princess Anne's are not (and they are higher in the succession!).

I would, therefore, think that Victoria's children will have the full titles of Royal Prince or Princess, the same as if she was a male heir, but Madeleine's children will have the titles that a Duke's children would have. However, it may be that they have arranged things differently in Sweden.

It will most likely be like in Spain that Jonas shares his wifes ducal title and their children will bear the surname Bergström. The swesdish ducal are not heridtary and after the present holder has passed away the go back to the Crown and are avalible for a new grant.

This was a surprise. I was expecting next year...Congratulations to the couple...They look so happy. Maybe their wedding will be smaller compared to her sister, which I think will be bombarded by foreign dignitaries, though I'm not complaining. :p

Well it makes since that Victoria's would have all sorts of foreign dignataries at hers - she's heiress to the throne, therefore her wedding willl most likley be bigger - as you implied - and probably televised as the Danish crown princely couple's nuptials were in 2004. But I think you're right, Madeleine and Jonas' wedding definately won't be a gigantic affair like Victoria and Daniel's.

Congratulations to Princess Madeleine and Jonas!:twohearts: I wish them all the best. I can't beleive both sisters, she and Victoria got engaged in the same year. I am looking forward to their royal weddings.:flowers: Madeleine looked so beautiful and so is her diamond engagment ring.

I think Madeleine wanted for Jonas the same "rank" like Daniel has as soon as possible (means: No longer boyfriend but fiance). Otherwise she could have waited until next year to become engaged. But I also believe that she would be already married for some time now if she wasn´t to wait until Viktoria became engaged.
So Madeleine told her parents: "As soon as Viktoria is engaged I also want my engagement because I had to wait so long and could be married already..."
Just my opinion. And IMO the royal court wants to avoid all those invited guests bringing their boy-/girlfriend along instead of being engaged. So this is another reason why she in any case was to become engaged with Jonas before Viktorias wedding because he of course is invited after such long relationship with Madeleine.

Well, they could be princes or princesses, because the children of King Carl Gustavs sister Brigitta are princes and princesses, too. But then again, Brigitta married a prince and not a commoner. So it could be different with Madeleines future kids.

I guess unless the King want it so, Madeleine children could be prince or princess.

Congratulations to the lovely couple!! The groom is very handsome, I think their children will be beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Madeleine wanted for Jonas the same "rank" like Daniel has as soon as possible (means: No longer boyfriend but fiance). Otherwise she could have waited until next year to become engaged. But I also believe that she would be already married for some time now if she wasn´t to wait until Viktoria became engaged.
So Madeleine told her parents: "As soon as Viktoria is engaged I also want my engagement because I had to wait so long and could be married already..."
Just my opinion. And IMO the royal court wants to avoid all those invited guests bringing their boy-/girlfriend along instead of being engaged. So this is another reason why she in any case was to become engaged with Jonas before Viktorias wedding because he of course is invited after such long relationship with Madeleine.

Is it really true the younger siblings cannot marry until the first one does? I wonder why that is.

Is it really true the younger siblings cannot marry until the first one does? I wonder why that is.

If it really was the case...I guess it was neither a law, nor rule, nor tradition, but an idea growing of the fact, that Madeleine is 5 years younger and that both sisters had dated their guys for a long time.
If Madeleine would have gotten engaged before her sister, Victoria would have met quite a lot of pressure.

Aftonbladet´s Jenny Alexandersson writes that Madeleine and Jonas will have their wedding before the Nobel festivities 2010. A friend of the couple has said that the wedding will be in late November or early December - in Stockholm.
- Madeleine looks forward to a winter wedding and can´t imagine getting married anywhere other than in Stockholm. She wants to marry before the Nobel Banquet, preferably at the beginning of December, says a friend.
Prinsessan Madeleine väljer vintervigsel Nyheter | Aftonbladet

If it really was the case...I guess it was neither a law, nor rule, nor tradition, but an idea growing of the fact, that Madeleine is 5 years younger and that both sisters had dated their guys for a long time.
If Madeleine would have gotten engaged before her sister, Victoria would have met quite a lot of pressure.

When the Kings sisters got married they didnt got married in order of age ....

Birgitta got married first: in 1961 (she is nr 2 of the sisters), then Desirée (she´s nr 3) in june 1964, and then Margaretha (she is the oldest one, nr 1) in june 1964!!! (Both Desirée and Margaretha got married in june 1964!! Imagine the massive overdose of royal euphoria at that time :D )Then Christina ( nr 4) in 1974 and then last and youngest Carl Gustaf 1976

Aftonbladet´s Jenny Alexandersson writes that Madeleine and Jonas will have their wedding before the Nobel festivities 2010. A friend of the couple has said that the wedding will be in late November or early December - in Stockholm.
- Madeleine looks forward to a winter wedding and can´t imagine getting married anywhere other than in Stockholm. She wants to marry before the Nobel Banquet, preferably at the beginning of December, says a friend.
Prinsessan Madeleine väljer vintervigsel Nyheter | Aftonbladet

A wedding in Stockholm and in december would be such a fairytale with all those christmas lightings in the streets and snow:flowers:

Hope we'll have the date soon!

Congratulations to the couple!!:flowers::flowers:
I agree with some other posters, they´re a really handsome couple.
I know it´s too soon, but I can´t wait to see their children...:)
I wish them many years of happiness.

Quite agree. It was neither a law nor a tradition. It was simply the fact that Madeleine wanted her sister to get married first since it will put a lot of pressure on Victoria or at least the media will make it hard for her. Imagine if Madeleine announced the engagement first. The media would be like "when will Victoria get married?" "what was Daniel thinking?" "why aren't he still proposing?" I do think Madeleine understand this...:)

Wow, 2010 will be a big year for Sweden, huh?

Congrats to the couple!:clap:I love her ring! The emerald cut is my favorite but I rarely see it turned horizontal like that. I think I remember reading an interview with Madeleine in Hello where she stated her sister had to marry before she could. I don't think it had to do with age per se but because Victoria was heir to the throne(?). I can't imagine planning two weddings at once:shock:! I hope it doesn't turn into Bride Wars (2009) -esque or Baby Wars thereafter. Let's avoid comparisons!

"Bride Wars" is an amazing movie,but I think the 2 sisters have more class than the two heroines.It would be nice,though.lol

What a wonderful thing for both sisters to be able to plan their weddings together. I hope it will be a lot of fun for them to try on dresses, etc.

Nevertheless, two weddings in one year are very expensive and especially in these times... So I think Madeleine and Jonas should have waited a bit with their engagement. Even so I'm really looking forward to both weddings =) I hope for a winter wedding with a lot of snow for Madeleine. And I guess 2011 will be a baby year for the Swedish Family ;)

I don't think a couple should wait with marriage because of the reason you mention. If they are ready for it, just go ahead. Sweden isn't the only country where this happened btw, the Norwegian and Dutch weddings were all very close after each other, while in 1981 Luxembourg saw 3 children of the Grand Duke marry within a year almost.

Last edited:
Nevertheless, two weddings in one year are very expensive and especially in these times... So I think Madeleine and Jonas should have waited a bit with their engagement. Even so I'm really looking forward to both weddings =) I hope for a winter wedding with a lot of snow for Madeleine. And I guess 2011 will be a baby year for the Swedish Family ;)

I think two Royal weddings are more likely to help Swedish economy than harm it in any way: selling the transmission rights - only will probably cover all the costs. And that's without the fact Sweden will become a huge tourist attraction in 2010 because of the weddings.

I cant believe shes engaged!!! congrats to her and her hubby to be!!!

Congratulations to Pss Madeleine and Mr. Jonas Bergstrom on their engagement.

:flowers::flowers::flowers: :swedenflag2:

Does anyone think that Pss Madeleine will wear the Cameo tiara at her wedding?

Also, I wonder which flowers will be chosen for the ceremory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom