Christening of Princess Leonore: June 8, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The press release in english. Interesting that the christening is on Sunday, when Estelle's was on Tuesday. The royal experts thought it would be at the Royal Chapel at the Royal Palace, but it is at the Royal Chapel at Drottningholm.
H.R.H. Princess Leonore will be christened in the Royal Chapel at Drottningholm Palace on June 8, 2014 - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Last edited:
The Royal Chapel at Drottningholm Palace is small, it has places for about 150 people.
Expressen writes that Madeleine makes history with this exceptional choice of Chapel. Madeleine, Carl Philip and Victoria were all christened at the Royal Chapel at the Royal Palace. Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department tells that 160 guests will be invited to the christening and the invitations will be sent after Easter. Drottningholm is close to Madeleine's heart. The royal family has been looking for the date and decided that 8th June is the best and then Madeleine and Chris can attend at the National Day celebration too. Thorgren says that it is possible that the christening will be shown on TV, the decision hasn't been made yet
She says she knows nothing about the godparents.
Madde skriver kungahistoria | Nyheter | Expressen

Last edited:
Can't wait for the ceremony. Hopefully it will be televised.

I like the fact that they chose a meaningful date. Well done!

Oh! I can't wait this christening...
I'm so looking forward to see little Estelle with baby Leonore :wub:

New info about the Baptism
www.kungahuset.se/pressrum/pressmeddelanden/2014pressmeddelanden/informationkringprinsessanleonoresdop.5.44b9de9714527ae8f1da7ba.html - Translator
The Christening will take place at noon on June 8 by Archbisop Anders Wejyrd
The invitations were sent on April 23rd and 160 guests were invited including the immediate families,representatives from the government and parliament. All the guests will be invited for a reception after the service but only 100 of them will be invited for the Kings private lunch . The princess will be baptized in the Bernadotte christening gown which was also worn by princess Estelle and the water will come from a source from oland. Princess leonore will have 6 godparents which will be announced on the day of the christening

:previous: Thanks for the updates, Baron Brockdorf. :flowers: So there will be six godparents. IIRC, Estelle had five. Can't wait to find out who they'll be! I find it interesting that Leonore won't be christened using water from the River Jordan, which I thought was customary for all royal children. I wonder if Leonore will wear the sash of the Order of the Seraphim like Estelle and Carl Gustaf did before her? Kungahuset didn't mention anything about it in the announcement.

Looking forward to this! I love how it's on Madeleine and Chris's wedding anniversary.

The most Rev.Anders Wejryd is the current Archbishop of Uppsala?

Yes he is the Archbishop of Uppsala.
The King and Queen started a new tradition in Sweden that the water for royal baptisms will be brought from oland. I don't know whether or not The Princess will be awarded the Order of the Seraphim but I presume so it's been that way for a long time(except when there was a temporary change in laws which said that only the king and queen could have national orders at the times of Victorias and Carl Philips birth that's why they received the seraphim on their 18th birthday but the law had changed by then too making the Royal family the only Swedish citizens able to receive Swedish orders)

Yes Anders Wejryd is archbishop of Uppsala until the 15th of June when he'll hand over office to the current bishop of Lund Antje Jackelén. She'll be the first female archbishop of Uppsala.

She's going to have six godparents, that's one more than I'd expected.

May I ask why the Potential names and godparents... thread has been closed? The godparents haven't been revealed yet, it seems only logical for it to be open till the day of the christening when they're revealed.

Estelle only had 5 godparents didn't she?

Maybe it was decided so because Chris has many sisters (and Daniel has only one) and some his nephews are adult already - and Leonore's parents want to include somebody from every branch of the family?

Yes Anders Wejryd is archbishop of Uppsala until the 15th of June when he'll hand over office to the current bishop of Lund Antje Jackelén. She'll be the first female archbishop of Uppsala.

Thanks, I had read there was a female Archbishop elect .The Christening will be then one of his last official acts as Primate of Sweden.

No, Estelle does have five! Crown Princess Mary, Crown Prince Haakon, Prince Carl Philip, King Willem Alexander and Anna Westling Söderström.

Christening of Princess Leonore; June 8th, 2014

Yes, LadyMarisa is right. Here is Estelle with her parents and godparents.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

It is interesting that the archbishop conducts the christening, since he didn't conduct the wedding.

I just love how Daniel is looming at Estelle in this. So much pride and love...That was such a lovely day full of happiness. Can't wait for more of the same w/little Leonore's in a month and a bit.

Oh and someone was wondering if the little one will be receiving the Order of the Seraphim like Estelle did at her Christening. I'm going on both a guess and instinct here, but I'm going say she doesn't. Just simply because while she is a HRH Princess of Sweden, she isn't the Heir to the Heir or a Future Queen, like her cousin Estelle.

Like I said, it's a guess on my part and I could very well be proven wrong here. We'll have to wait till June to find out. :)

One thing I've been wondering...Will the same Christening Gown Estelle wore be used by her baby cousin or will this sweet one be getting her own? I know the tradition of a Family Gown being used is followed by both British and Danish RFs, so just wondering if the Swedish Royals do the same or not. :)

One thing I've been wondering...Will the same Christening Gown Estelle wore be used by her baby cousin or will this sweet one be getting her own? I know the tradition of a Family Gown being used is followed by both British and Danish RFs, so just wondering if the Swedish Royals do the same or not. :)

The court told yesterday at the press release about the christening, that Leonore will wear the same Bernadotte christening gown which Estelle wore, and which was for the first time used when prince Gustaf Adolf was christened in 1906. The king, his sisters, Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine have also worn that gown in their christenings.

Johan T Lindwall writes in Expressen again how Madeleine runs over everyone and she and Chris have done all the decisions concerning the christening although normally the court and the rest of the royal family are involved in planning. A quite unexpected news came on Friday afternoon: Six godparents!
When Princess Estelle, Sweden's future queen, was baptized in May 2012, she had five godparents. As Princess Leonore stands further down the line of succession, she should, according to royal rules, to have the same number of godparents or in practice less.
But Princess Madeleine decide to have one godparent more than what Princess Estelle had at her christening in the Royal Chapel in Stockholm. Something that actually violates the royal rules.
- We have at the current situation no name for godparents and do not know when we can communicate out there, says Margareta Thorngren, the director of the press department.
- Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill have decided this themselves.
The rest of the article reminds that Madeleine chose the Royal Chapel in Drottningholm instead of the Royal Chapel at the Royal Palace and broke the old rules also then, and speculates who are invited to the christening and who could be the godparents.
Madde kör över alla inför Leonores dop Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
The court has now put the press release about the christening also in english to their website.
Information about Princess Leonore's christening - Sveriges Kungahus

Svensk Damtidning speculates about the godparents: Victoria, Chris's sister Tatjana or Natascha, Louise Gottlieb and Cedric Notz could well be the godparents. Svensk Damtidning also writes that Madeleine probably wants some royal godparents. They name Haakon (because he comes to Sweden to an event on Monday), Frederik and Joachim.
Prinsessan Leonores hemliga faddrar Svensk Damtidning

Last edited:
Thank you for the link.

But they didn't announce godparents' names.

No, of course not. Estelle's godparents were told when the christening started and it is very likely that they do the same this time too.

in spanish press wrote letizia refuses to be godmother

Back
Top Bottom