Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so far, we have:

NORWAY: Harald, Sonja and Haakon (no MM?)
DENMARK: Frederik and Mary
THE NETHERLANDS: WA and Maxima
SWEDEN: CG and Silvia
SPAIN: Felipe and Letizia
GREAT BRITAIN: Princess Anne

I wonder if Princess Benedikte woun't be there as well - perhaps not as an official representative of Denmark - but her daughter Princess Natali zu Sayn Wittgenstein is on the danish team in dressage.

EPONA: OL-hold i dressur udtaget

Okay! 9 days to go and then the biggest sportevent of the world starts. Hope to see nice pictures of enthusiastic royals ( above all of my favourite royal family:swedenflag:).
I wonder if the young swedish royals will attend. I bed that CP Victoria attends the Paralympics. She did it already in Athens, 2004.
I haven't heard something about Madeleines and Carl Philips plans. Does anyone know more about them? I can't remember Madeleine attend the Olympic Games ever. I had never seen pictures of her cheering the swedish sportsmen and sportswomen on like the other family members.
I can't wait that the Olympic Games start.

An article which lists a few royal names who will be attending the equestrian games.

former US president George HW Bush, Britain's Princess Anne and Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan. Grand Duke Henri Albert Gabriel Felix Marie Guillaume of Luxembourg

I am surprised that CP Mary isn't reported as being on the guest list for the equestrian games. I have read in several places in this forum that she loves horses.

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;805486 said:
Okay! 9 days to go and then the biggest sportevent of the world starts. Hope to see nice pictures of enthusiastic royals ( above all of my favourite royal family:swedenflag:).
I wonder if the young swedish royals will attend. I bed that CP Victoria attends the Paralympics. She did it already in Athens, 2004.
I haven't heard something about Madeleines and Carl Philips plans. Does anyone know more about them? I can't remember Madeleine attend the Olympic Games ever. I had never seen pictures of her cheering the swedish sportsmen and sportswomen on like the other family members.
I can't wait that the Olympic Games start.

OK, maybe this is stupid of me, talking politics, but I think it would be great if they stayed at home... just to show the world that swedes are pro freedom and democracy and supporting human rights. Kina is not a v nice country to live in if you dont think and act like the gouvernment think and act... ask Amnesty International, they know....

I wonder if Princess Benedikte woun't be there as well - perhaps not as an official representative of Denmark - but her daughter Princess Natali zu Sayn Wittgenstein is on the danish team in dressage
Princess Benedikte is going, she's listed as a visitor on the Danish royal website so you bet we'll see her cheer for Nathalie - how could she miss it! :flowers:

I expect plenty of demonstrations to occur, even if the government is actively trying to snuff them out. Beijing even tried to find away to get rid of the homeless for the duration of the Olympics. I can't remember where I read that, but it stuck out at me.

China's human rights stances and the numerous violations they have inflicted are just insane. This is almost as bad as when they gave Nazi Germany the Olympics in 1936.

They didn't actually give the games to 'Nazi' Germany. The games were awarded to Berlin before the Nazis came to power. However with both Beijing and Moscow the IOC knew in advance that those countries were communist and had appalling human rights records.

The IOC could have decided to take the high moral ground in 1936, and taken the games away from Berlin if they really had wanted to make a statement.

Personally I don't think they should ever have been given to either Moscow or Beijing and should have been taken off Berlin after the 1935 Nuremburg Laws were announced (these were the laws that made it really hard for the Jews).

One good thing that came from the Berlin games was the film Olympia with the great scenes of Jesse Owens and some of the innovative sports filming techniques introduced by Leni Riefenstahl (some of which are still used today and others have been improved but she pioneered them in 1936).

NBCOlympics.com - Bringing classy back

Here's a preview of US olympics outfits. About halfway down there is a link for a photo gallery of other countries' uniforms. There's Australia, Germany:wub:, Japan, New Zealand, Italy, Russia, Great Britian, Canada and Austria.

I have a question all those royals who will attend the Olympic Games are not necessary participe at a games or a members of any Olympic Committees right?

Does anybody know if the Infanta Cristina and her husband Iñaki will go to the Olympics?

I have a question all those royals who will attend the Olympic Games are not necessary participe at a games or a members of any Olympic Committees right?
No. The royals who are not members of the IOC and attend the meetings they have in China before the games are just there to support the athletes of their countries. Most countries have a lot of VIP's hosted by their National Olympic Committees during the games, and many other officials are usually also there to cheer and socialize.

Does anybody know if the Infanta Cristina and her husband Iñaki will go to the Olympics?
I believe I read somewhere that they will go to Beijing from Mozambique where they currently vacation with WA & Maxima.

No. The royals who are not members of the IOC and attend the meetings they have in China before the games are just there to support the athletes of their countries. Most countries have a lot of VIP's hosted by their National Olympic Committees during the games, and many other officials are usually also there to cheer and socialize.
I see.thanks alot GrandDuchess for make it clear:flowers:

Usually royals who are IOC members, also give out some of the medals to the athletes of their own countries....in between socializing that is...:whistling:

It is getting exciting even at that distance. Imagine what is going on in Beijing!!!!!!!!:)

Qatar crown Prince Tamim
Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander
Danish Crown Prince Frederik Andre Henrik Christian
British Princess Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
Luxembourg Grand Duke Henri Albert Gabriel Felix Marie Guillaume
Former U.S. State Secretary Henry Alfred Kissinger have arrived on Monday to Beijing

Source

Id love it if Lady Gabriella showed up !

The 120th Session of the IOC was opened on August 4th. All the members of the IOC attended. Here is a (grainy) photo of the whole group, I've circled Princess Anne and Grand Duke Henri in this version of the photo (they were the only ones I could spot!)

And Crown Prince Frederik also attened the opening, picture here

:flowers:

(Xinhua Photo, Thomas Wilmann)

Thanks JessRulz, the photo really is grainy, you did well with the 2 you found.
I love Frederik's tie (he doesn't have his own fashion thread for me to say that in does he??? lol)

An article (in German) of Grand Duc Henri and the Lux Olympic team. For more pictures click on Mehr Fotos: Einzug der Luxemburger Delegation. Furthermore a small interview with the Grand Duc can be found.
http://www.wort.lu/articles/6628275.html

The games got off to a good start today (well, for me, anyway ;) ), when Norway beat the US 2-0 in football. Both goals were scored within the first four minutes of the match, and even though there were big chances in the rest of the match, they were either over the goal, or the goalies kept in control.

This is a very good beginning of the games for Norway.

Is anyone going to be boycotting the Olympics? I don't support China's human rights violations, so I won't be giving NBC or any the sponsors my time or money.

i'm also boycotting, i'm not buying anything with olympic logos (OMG had to switch from coke to dr pepper) i've written emails to NBC and sponsors as i find them. everyone keeps saying keep politics out of the games, CHINA has turned it into a political game. the corruption and "favors" have exposed the IOC for what it is, a bunch of criminals that will do anything for $$$. (i hope there's an investigation and charges!)

i saw the story about the chinese team and training....torture, kidnapping and child abuse DISGUSTING (but i'm not surprised, the story was probably only the tip of the iceberg)

there's tight censorship on what can be written about in china, i hope when they all get home to freedom, journalists have the GUTS to tell the truth.

i only hope this sham of the games doesn't doom the olympics forever, i personnally have no respect for the IOC and hope all these trials, lies, tribulations and headaces are keeping them awake nights (it's not enough but it's the best i can hope for)

Yesterday evening Princess Haya as president of FEI hosted a "Hong Kong Night" at The Hong Kong Jockey Club's Beijing Clubhouse. Prince Albert, Charlene Wittstock and Infanta Pilar were among the guests :)

Back
Top Bottom