The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Serene Highness

i would like to know more about HGD Guillaume's second witness, Nicholas Frankopan, who is said to be a close friend of Guillaume. His sister married Lord Nicholas Windsor and has two children, and Lord Nicholas renounced rights to the British throne when he, along with much of his family, became Catholic. There is another Frankopan whom I found by googling, Peter, who is a teacher of Byzantine studies at Oxford and married a very rich British girl; he wrote a very interesting article on the problems of Greece today compared to the ravages of Constantinople by Crusaders (appeared in New York Times). Peter Frankopan claims to be a Croatian Prince and has a Polish part of his name which indicates his descent from Polish nobility as well. I would have started a thread on this but I don't know how to do start one. I looked around and found no instructions. I think Guillaume's choice of Nicholas Frankopan is an interesting one.
If this is posted in the wrong place, please move it, Moderator. Thank you.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 AM
Courtier

It was a most beautiful wedding and the flowers were especially gorgeous. Stephanie's rich antique lace was indeed a timeless and classic and creation. However, a gown and train of that magnitude did require a proper full length sleeve. The 3/4 length sleeves made it look somewhat unfinished and detracted from the overall elegance. I was rather surprised at the choice of Elie Saab over a traditional European designer. Royal brides should be supporting designers from their own countries.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Thanks to all for the information on Stéphanie's necklace! Very interesting.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisiesforever View Post
It was a most beautiful wedding and the flowers were especially gorgeous. Stephanie's rich antique lace was indeed a timeless and classic and creation. However, a gown and train of that magnitude did require a proper full length sleeve. The 3/4 length sleeves made it look somewhat unfinished and detracted from the overall elegance. I was rather surprised at the choice of Elie Saab over a traditional European designer. Royal brides should be supporting designers from their own countries.
I don't see the point of that. Let them choose a designer they really want. That said, Belgium has some kick-ass fashion designers. Dries van Noten, Maison Martin Margiela, Olivier Theyskens (was a designer at Nina Ricci and also designed Caroline Trentini and Lauren Santo Domingo wedding dresses) and the current designer at Dior, Raf Simons, is Belgian aswell. So she would have really fantastic options but when you have the choice to go with Elie, most would take Elie.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
i would like to know more about HGD Guillaume's second witness, Nicholas Frankopan, who is said to be a close friend of Guillaume. His sister married Lord Nicholas Windsor and has two children, and Lord Nicholas renounced rights to the British throne when he, along with much of his family, became Catholic. There is another Frankopan whom I found by googling, Peter, who is a teacher of Byzantine studies at Oxford and married a very rich British girl; he wrote a very interesting article on the problems of Greece today compared to the ravages of Constantinople by Crusaders (appeared in New York Times). Peter Frankopan claims to be a Croatian Prince and has a Polish part of his name which indicates his descent from Polish nobility as well. I would have started a thread on this but I don't know how to do start one. I looked around and found no instructions. I think Guillaume's choice of Nicholas Frankopan is an interesting one.
If this is posted in the wrong place, please move it, Moderator. Thank you.
See post 56 in this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1473090
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

It's very interesting to contrast Stephanie's gown to Catherine Middleton's as both recent brides are similar in age, and marrying future monarchs named William/Guillaume V who were born less than a year apart. Both gowns are showcasing what each label for. With Elie Saab, it's all about fabric: sparkling, beading and embroidery over a relatively simple silhouette. Alexander McQueen was all about the construction, pleating the skirt perfect to give it that blooming effect without the need to yards of petticoats. Though Catherine's gown did feature exquisite lace, Sarah Burton outsourced the lace-making to the Royal School of Needlework while the press release indicated Stephanie's embroidery was done in house at Elie Saab. I think I'm not the only who noticed that the cut of Stephanie's gown's neckline and sleeves made her arms look heavy even though she's quite slim. Perhaps this could have been avoided had Saab used a more McQueen/Burton approach to the construction?
Overall, I would have to give the edge to Stephanie because she had the more glamorous and regal look. Stephanie's hair, veil and accessories were pitch perfect while I wish Catherine would have left her make up to the experts.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you for the information concerning the Frankopans, Marengo. I googled them and found a high powered family based in England, consisting of Louis and wife Inger and five children. All in finance except for Peter, who is a don at Oxford specializing in Byzantine affairs. They all have multiple advanced degrees from the top Universities in the world.
Peter puts it this way, concerning their claim to the name: He says they do not claim any position, they only claim a long line going back to the early middle ages. The family history is sufficiently complex that it would be pretty hard to say which way the lineage went. Much of it died out. Some survived. They are as much Polish and Italian as Croatian. The most interesting connection is that of Lord Nicholas Windsor, who married Paola and lives part time near Rome on a farm, and part time in Britain. They claim allegiance to the throne of England. They had permission to marry from the Queen. Nicholas Frankopan who was Guillaume's witness is married with one child.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
It's very interesting to contrast Stephanie's gown to Catherine Middleton's as both recent brides are similar in age, and marrying future monarchs named William/Guillaume V who were born less than a year apart. Both gowns are showcasing what each label for. With Elie Saab, it's all about fabric: sparkling, beading and embroidery over a relatively simple silhouette. Alexander McQueen was all about the construction, pleating the skirt perfect to give it that blooming effect without the need to yards of petticoats. Though Catherine's gown did feature exquisite lace, Sarah Burton outsourced the lace-making to the Royal School of Needlework while the press release indicated Stephanie's embroidery was done in house at Elie Saab. I think I'm not the only who noticed that the cut of Stephanie's gown's neckline and sleeves made her arms look heavy even though she's quite slim. Perhaps this could have been avoided had Saab used a more McQueen/Burton approach to the construction?
Overall, I would have to give the edge to Stephanie because she had the more glamorous and regal look. Stephanie's hair, veil and accessories were pitch perfect while I wish Catherine would have left her make up to the experts.
Sorry, Stephanie looked perfect. Her gown far more interesting than Kate's and, I love, Kate. Stephanie looked like a "real" bride. With all the joy, beauty and cheer. Kate, looked stiff, as is the case of the BRF. Stephanie's arms did not look heavy.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Sorry, Stephanie looked perfect. Her gown far more interesting than Kate's and, I love, Kate. Stephanie looked like a "real" bride. With all the joy, beauty and cheer. Kate, looked stiff, as is the case of the BRF. Stephanie's arms did not look heavy.
Stephanie's arms did not look heavy at all IMO.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Serene Highness

The gown made all parts of Stephanie look fuller, but this was not a detriment, as she is so slender. She looked wonderful. I would look further back in history for gowns I really liked best, but I'm new to the Royal Forums so I don't know much. I would guess that I would most like the gown of Princess Alice of Gloucester. I would like gowns that cost less in the way of money and work, not that I'm opposed to spending money on the wedding. The figure I heard about Lux expenditures was FAR below England's expense for the royal wedding. It was a wonderful event and I'm glad I attended.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I have looked at photos and video of Stephanie as a bride more times than I can count over the last two days and I am baffled that anyone describe any part of her as "heavy" or even fuller looking.

That exquisite gown looked as if it had been sewn onto her body while she was standing, it fit so perfectly imo. Fifty years from now it will probably be showcased in some fashion museum.

Catherine Cambridge was a very pretty bride, Stephanie de Lannoy a magnificent one, imo.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Serene Highness

Moonmaiden, any of us would look fuller in that cut of dress. It was not designed to slim, but to enhance. Most of us have to wear these "slimming" things to look decent, at least I do. I remember wearing a dress with the cut of Stephanie's wedding gown to perform Spanish dance (without the train, of course), and I looked what I considered to be too heavy, but then I was never as slim as Stephanie. In my ordinary clothes at that time (age 16) I looked much slimmer and was thought of as a slender person, even though I was 5'8" and l40 pounds. If I had taken off ten pounds I would have looked good in that dress. That was a million years ago! (she did look great in that dress).
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I see what you are saying Mariel1, but no. I still can't see where it makes Stephanie look "fuller"....anywhere.

And I doubt if say...Letizia or Kate wore that dress they'd look any heavier either.

It really is a work of art by Saab, very flattering to Stephanie imo.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince of Luxembourg and Countess of Belgium’s Over-The-Top Royal Wedding Style | TheKnot Blog

Coverage on Stephanie's dress on The Knot!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisiesforever
I was rather surprised at the choice of Elie Saab over a traditional European designer. Royal brides should be supporting designers from their own countries.
But Stephanie belongs to Luxembourg now, and I haven't heard of any designers from there. So, she is free to choose from numerous designers, unlike Catherine and Letizia who have to promote their country's fashion industry.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Sonjapearl they do indeed have local talent in Luxembourg. Maybe as HGD Stephanie will choose to promote them by wearing their clothes.

But this was her bridal gown, arguably the most important item of clothing she will wear in her public life. She wanted, or MT wanted, the best. Someone with a proven international reputation.

And they made the right choice because everyone is talking about Stephanie's wedding dress and how completely stunning it was.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
But Stephanie belongs to Luxembourg now, and I haven't heard of any designers from there. So, she is free to choose from numerous designers, unlike Catherine and Letizia who have to promote their country's fashion industry.
Brides from foreign countries are not so restricted to whom they choose to design their wedding gowns. Princess Maxima's Valentino, Q.Silvia's Dior. When the bride weds in their own country a domestic designer is more likely, like duchess Catherine and Princess Victoria. An exception is Princess Mary but that may be due to the Queen's major role in the design of her gown.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
I would like gowns that cost less in the way of money and work, not that I'm opposed to spending money on the wedding.
I have to disagree, I prefer royal wedding dresses that are creations of art, something unique. Anything that is handmade will take time to do, and thus also cost money. I know the effort that goes into dress-making, my mother used to sew dresses and when sewing a simple/plain dress, it takes many hours to get a good fit with trying-on the dress several times and sometimes having to pull up stitches and sew again. And for the hand-embroidery, yes it takes a lot of time, but the end result is worth it. For me it's a pity that crafts such as hand-embroidery and lace-making doesn't get appreciated for their artistic value today, they are as much works of art as a painting or a sculpture are.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Countess Stéphanie stole my heart in her wedding gown. She looked absolutely beautiful.
How she was dressed, that is how I envision a bride. I love opulent, elegant wedding gowns and this is a perfect example. And then I don't even mention her charisma, what she radiates. Sweet, pure and demure. Serene.

For me it's so abnormal these days to see a bride that I find beautiful that it is almost a strange feeling when I do see one that I love. Talk about withdrawal... So thank you (now) Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie for looking how a bride is supposed to look!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Nobility

While I found the Chanel for the civil ceremony to be on the mature and frumpy side, the Elie Saab wedding gown took my breath away! For me, Stephanie embodied 'the' modern-day fairytale princess aura in that gown.

Tags
countess, countess stéphanie, dress, guillaume, hereditary grand duke, lannoy, luxembourg, prince, stephanie, wedding, wedding dress