The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's pretty shameful and unappreciative of the honor given to them. I can only imagine other potential recipients who would have loved to receive a Jubilee medal and valued it. I guess everything has a price nowadays.

I'm surprised that someone paid £350 for one. People lose them, innocently or otherwise, so they'll be available for anyone to purchase at a much lower price pretty soon. Here's a genuine Golden Jubilee medal available for £50. I don't believe they're engraved, so someone must have been willing to pay quite a premium for getting one right away.

Sign of the times, the economy is not healthy and many people sell desirable items because they need the cash.

Sign of the times, the economy is not healthy and many people sell desirable items because they need the cash.

The same thing happens to Maundy coins, too. I've heard that coin dealers will actually wait outside the cathedral to make offers as the recipients leave. A few sets always make it on to the market (more than 1400 sets of 4 coins were handed out this year).

It is sad that these people feel that it is more important to put food on the table and pay the rent and other bills than wear a piece of medal occasionally but that is the situation for many of them.

It is sad that these people feel that it is more important to put food on the table and pay the rent and other bills than wear a piece of medal occasionally but that is the situation for many of them.

It must indeed be dire circumstances when a medal recipient sells an honor. Speaking personally, I have my deceased dad's WWII medals of which he was inordinately proud and when he came back from the war, he stowed them away in a box and would take them out every so often to tell my sister and me about them. If he never sold his medals because as a war veteran he valued them as a symbol of his service to his country, neither would I in these tough economic times. And believe me, times were also tough for my parents bringing up two children in the post-war years and they could have used every penny they could get. I can't speak for anyone but myself here, of course, and naturally every person's situation is entirely different. One must do what one has to if this brings in needed money to avert hardship, if indeed that's the case, and not because you're looking for a lucrative deal because the Queen awarded you an honors medal in her Jubilee year.

I'm sorry, the people who are receiving these medals - police, firefighters, ambulance crews, serving service personnel - are all likely to be earning well above the average wage in the UK. They enjoy job security and the kind of gold plated pensions that those of us in the private sector can only dream of. A very small minority of them might face redundancy at some stage (although when they need to reduce numbers in the public sector it's generally done through retirements and slowing recruitment), but they will receive hugely generous pay-offs including educational grants and grants for each child they have.

I doubt there are a great many of them who are struggling to put food on the table. These people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

It must indeed be dire circumstances when a medal recipient sells an honor.

I wouldn't assume that. 450,000 of them are being awarded, and most of the recipients get it essentially automatically, so just statistically there are likely to be thousands in the hands of people who are relatively ambivalent about them. For better or for worse, sometimes people just have different priorities in life.

As you say, people do have different priorities. If being awarded with a medal ensues a feeling of ambivalence in certain recipients who care nothing for the honor, then it's their decision to do what they want with it. Though that response just leaves me bewildered personally.

One would think they would experience some level of embarrassment the next time they are required to appear in full dress uniform and their CO notices they are missing the Jubilee Medal.

Funny you should post that Artemisia, as Hamleys (one of the world's largest toy shops) have created a special window display which recreates the Queen's image in Lego. There's also a giant Lego QEII sitting on her throne, complete with Lego corgi. All in honour of the Diamond Jubilee.

I think the Lego Queen bears more resemblance to HM than some of the figures in Madame Tussauds!

Hamleys honours the Jubilee with a Lego Queen | Toy Industry | News by ToyNews

:previous:
Certainly looks better than some of the dreadful Tussauds creations that are supposed to be the Queen, including the 1969 version!
And while we are on this...

Their Grand-est Day Out: Wallace and Gromit appear in new film to mark Queen's Diamond Jubilee
They've solved murders, battled mutant rabbits and evil penguins and even been to the moon. But Wallace and Gromit's latest adventure brings them down to earth, with the popular animated characters preparing for the Diamond Jubilee in a new film created especially for the big event. The clip is only a minute in length but took a 30-strong team of animators from Aardman Studios three months to make.
Can't wait till the full version comes out. I absolutely LOVE Wallace and Gromit! :D

Attachments

• Solar-Powered Waving Queen Figurine £17.50.jpg
    Solar-Powered Waving Queen Figurine £17.50.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 888
A really lovely article about Her Majesty.

The unseen Queen: Sir Trevor McDonald on insights he gleaned about Her Majesty while making a documentary for Diamond Jubilee
During my career as a television journalist I’ve been privileged to meet the Queen on many occasions and it has often struck me that, behind her formal public persona, she is kind and thoughtful on a very practical level. I remember talking to her in 2007 in Uganda, where she had come to meet the Commonwealth Heads Of Government, and she told me she had arrived at Kampala airport just as daylight had given way to impenetrable darkness. Night falls like a curtain in the tropics. There is no dusk. And as she was driven out of the airport, Her Majesty peered into the blackness of the African night to see the route lined with shadowy forms waving flags.
‘I suddenly realised that all these people had taken the trouble to come and greet me, so I put the light on in the car so I could wave back,’ she told me. These small acts of consideration typify her. We know the Queen has huge affection for the Commonwealth – she regards herself as head of a family of nations. But less well-documented is the almost maternal sense of hospitality she invests in the role.

Thank you for the article :flowers:. I personally love reading these types of stories. They give us a glimpse of Her Majesty that we won't otherwise get. The gesture of putting the light on, so that she could wave to the crowd who came out in the darkness of the night just to greet her speaks volumes to me. This is a woman who has a big, kind and compassionate disposition. United Kingdom should be proud to call her their Queen.

The Telegraph have complied a cool round up of the top 20 Diamond Jubilee themed fashion and jewellery pieces from designers including Alexander McQueen, Vivienne Westwood and Topshop. Some are prohibitively expensive, others are much more reasonable.

I personally love the scarf by Liberty and the Topshop bag with all the corgis on it. Either would make a really nice keepsake.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee: Top 20 fashion pieces - Fashion Galleries - Telegraph

They also appear to have spent a lot of time in tanning salon. :cool:

Oh, my, Chia Pets on steroids! Prince Philip looks like Julius Caesar from the side as well.

It makes sense when bank holidays are side by side, as they were for the wedding last year, to take a holiday. You'd only have to use a dew days leave and you'd be able to go away for a week or so.

I remember last April my boss was able to take a 2 week holiday, but it only cost him 3 or 4 days of his leave because of the extra day off for the royal wedding. If you're quick enough to book the days before everyone else does it's a no brainer.

For the Jubilee thread:

Taser which transmits 50,000 electric volts to guard the Queen during her Jubilee walkabouts
Police officers protecting the Queen have been issued with controversial Taser stun guns in the run up to the Diamond Jubilee. The 86-year-old monarch has made clear she wants to meet as many members of the public as possible at events to mark her 60 years on the throne. But her determination to personally greet thousands of well-wishers has, inevitably, brought with it an increased security risk particularly from so-called ‘fixated persons’.
Well, I'll eat my hat! Royal Diamond Jubilee afternoon tea sees THAT Princess Beatrice hat turned into a praline profiterole
To mark the Queen's six decades on the throne, The Berkeley Hotel's pastry chefs will be magicking up biscuits, fancies and choux buns in the form of the most memorable hats worn by the Royal Family. And brilliantly capturing the millinary zeitgeist, The Royal Collection will include a praline profiterole inspired by Princess Beatrice's infamous Philip Treacy royal wedding hat. The clever pastry chefs have also rendered in vanilla biscuit form Queen Elizabeth’s legendary Imperial crown, worn for her coronation in 1953, which is adorned with intricate icing and sugar diamonds.
Yummy! :D

Back
Top Bottom