The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
^^^^^^
Is it just going to be frozen? I swear I saw an article saying it was going to be cut, but that might have something to do with Charles' money. Well it was frozen from 2000-2010, so they're just freezing it again?
It was announced in the emergency Budget presented by the Chancellor in June this year that the Civil List would be frozen for another year, the level it has been since 1990.

These payments are usually negotiated for a 10 year period, which is why they have been at the same level from 1990 -2000, and it was then agreed in 2000 to hold them at the same level for another decade.

Prince Charles receives no public funding, he is funded entirely from the Duchy of Cornwall.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Oh yes I know he doesn't recieve any funding, but they have been talking about his money.
And they made such a big fuss over it just being frozen.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This might be going slightly of topic here, and if so please move the post but if Australia became a republic and stayed in the Commonwealth, would the Queen or other members of the RF still visit?
Like Iluvbertie, I was a monarchist when I came to this forum, and am now a republican, and for the same reason. When the inevitable happens, I am sure we will remain in the Commonwealth though.

On the subject of visits, they haven't actually been beating a path to our shores for some time. When we are a republic, we can invite them here for State visits. And if Kate does marry William, we will then be able to find out whether she is more popular than Diana. (phew! managed to get it back on topic.)
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I hope I personally did nothing to contribute to your change, if so, anyway I can change you back? I would hate for Australia not to be in the Commonwealth.

No individual did anything but the entire board made me realise the irrelevancy of the monarchy for Australia.

As the majority of members of the Commonwealth are republics or have monarchs other that Elizabeth I don't see that Australia will be asked to leave the Commonwealth on becoming a republic (although membership won't remain automatic - the other member nations will get a vote on whether or not we remain a member but no one has been kicked out for simply becoming a republic e.g. India has been a member since 1947 and has been a republic since then).

As for whether or not they would still visit - probably as they visit other Commonwealth and non-Commonwealth countries. They still will have to be invited - just as they need to be invited now. That side of things won't change. We will still see the monarch about once every 8 or so years.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Majesty

The monarchy isn't something that people would vote on directly. For there to be change to the Canadian constitution, all 10 provinces have to agree to the change. I honestly can't see any PM opening this can of worms. It would be more trouble than its worth, especially considering that there are other things that are much more urgent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaristocratx View Post
Haha!
I'd hope if there was a vote tomorrow that people would vote for them to stay but... I don't know if the majority of the public care as much as they used to.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Who is "they" you are referring to? What has been frozen?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Majesty

No, I really don't think so. Even if Prince Charles doesn't have the personal popularity that his mother did when he becomes King, I can't see legions of Canadians rising up in revolt against the monarchy. I can see a Member of Parliament trying to put forward a private member's bill about it, possibly; but I can't see it going through.

Quote:
I was just going to ask if Canada was actually that close to seperating?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
No, I really don't think so. Even if Prince Charles doesn't have the personal popularity that his mother did when he becomes King, I can't see legions of Canadians rising up in revolt against the monarchy. I can see a Member of Parliament trying to put forward a private member's bill about it, possibly; but I can't see it going through.
I also think that the popularity of Charles and Camilla will rise, as they engage with Canada a bi tmore than they recently have. Perhaps another trip in a few years, in better weather, might be helpful.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I also think that the popularity of Charles and Camilla will rise, as they engage with Canada a bi tmore than they recently have. Perhaps another trip in a few years, in better weather, might be helpful.
I think their popularity will rise also as they take on more and more duties for the Queen. I think its going to be a gradual thing over the next couple of decades as the Queen takes things much easier and Charles gets more "hands on" into his role as King.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think their popularity will rise also as they take on more and more duties for the Queen. I think its going to be a gradual thing over the next couple of decades as the Queen takes things much easier and Charles gets more "hands on" into his role as King.
I agree with you, it will be a gradual process.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
You could be right but I am thinking of Queen Victoria who never let her heir take anything over, she trusted a younger son far more and it was a constant complaint of Edward VII (or Bertie) that he wasn´t allowed to see papers and least of all help with the boxes.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Majesty

Oh dear . . . . no marriage nor even an engagement and we are debating whether poor old Kate will be more popular than Diana!

Who knows or can even guess? If or when William and Kate actually even get engaged we might have something tangible to quibble about but until then it's worth saving your breath to cool your porrige. It is worth noting that Prince Carl Philip of Sweden just ended a "relationship" as old, if not older than William's so until she's got a ring on her finger it's all a bit previous.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
You could be right but I am thinking of Queen Victoria who never let her heir take anything over, she trusted a younger son far more and it was a constant complaint of Edward VII (or Bertie) that he wasn´t allowed to see papers and least of all help with the boxes.
I think HM is conscience of her duties as her monarch, as well as the need to have an orderly succession in time - so the current arrangements between HM and Charles will tread the right balance.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Oh dear . . . . no marriage nor even an engagement and we are debating whether poor old Kate will be more popular than Diana!

Who knows or can even guess? If or when William and Kate actually even get engaged we might have something tangible to quibble about but until then it's worth saving your breath to cool your porrige. It is worth noting that Prince Carl Philip of Sweden just ended a "relationship" as old, if not older than William's so until she's got a ring on her finger it's all a bit previous.
Not only a ring on her finger, we haven´t ever seen any sign of HM even acknowledging her presence. It is often mentioned that Sophie lived with Edward before their marriage but it was also said that this was in Buckingham Palace and with the Queen´s consent. I have seen no outward signs that Kate has HM´s approval. When the official notice comes from Buckingham Palace then I will believe all this talk of marriage, but then I make no secret of the fact I hope that never happens as in my opinion she seems most unsuitable and so far I haven´t heard of Prince William saying that Kate is non negotiable. If discretion was the number one requirement, well fine, but there are other points to be considered besides dressing appropriately and being available for holidays and outings. I think that Kate would feel even more lost in Buckingham Palace than either Sarah or Diana said they felt. They at least had known the royal family all their lives.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Not only a ring on her finger, we haven´t ever seen any sign of HM even acknowledging her presence. It is often mentioned that Sophie lived with Edward before their marriage but it was also said that this was in Buckingham Palace and with the Queen´s consent. I have seen no outward signs that Kate has HM´s approval. When the official notice comes from Buckingham Palace then I will believe all this talk of marriage, but then I make no secret of the fact I hope that never happens as in my opinion she seems most unsuitable and so far I haven´t heard of Prince William saying that Kate is non negotiable. If discretion was the number one requirement, well fine, but there are other points to be considered besides dressing appropriately and being available for holidays and outings. I think that Kate would feel even more lost in Buckingham Palace than either Sarah or Diana said they felt. They at least had known the royal family all their lives.
I do not have a sense of how many times Kate has met Hm, or how much time they might have spent together, but Kate certainly appears to be very comfortable in the company of Charles and Camilla as has been evidenced by pictures on a number of diffferent occassions.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
The being the general public, and the Civil List being frozen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

This thread has been open for 4 years.
Prince Carl-Philip is 31, and he finished his relationship with Emma Pernauld which lasted 8 years I think in 2008. He is now dating someone else.

Quote:
We've been told numerous times that she's been invited to tea or to christmas. Honestly we are never going to know because we aren't going to get any pictures are we?
Also, Kate has been at three I think of William's military events, two of which The Queen was at. Kate was there when William became a Knight of The Garter. I honestly do think they have met.

I think Kate would fit in better than Sarah and Diana, she's had 8 years to get used to what life is going to be like and she seems fairly suited to it.
What do you mean by Kate being non-negotiable, on what grounds?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The being the general public, and the Civil List being frozen again.
I am struggling to get to the point you are making. Charles does not draw from the Civil List, so the CL being frozen has no impact on his finances whatsoever. Are we missing something here?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Oh yes I know he doesn't recieve any funding, but they have been talking about his money.
Quote:
Quote:
I am struggling to get to the point you are making. Charles does not draw from the Civil List, so the CL being frozen has no impact on his finances whatsoever. Are we missing something here?
My first comment about the big fuss, had nothing to do with Charles, I was referring to the Civil List. I said I knew that the Civil List had nothing to do with Charles.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
My first comment about the big fuss, had nothing to do with Charles, I was referring to the Civil List. I said I knew that the Civil List had nothing to do with Charles.
Clearly we had crossed wires there!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I was just going to ask if Canada was actually that close to seperating? When The Queen toured Canada recently, I didn't think there was much animosty against the monarchy.

Also can anybody answer if Australian is really that close? I can think it's closer than Canada?
i don't recall there being any animosity towards HM during her visit here in canada. while the crowds weren't huge they were certainly enthusiastic. as for separating...there's been no talk of separation on this side of the pond that i'm aware of.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, kate middleton, princess diana