The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Royal Highness

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge supports UK's first Children's Mental Health Week

Old 02-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that she's done very well with delivering this message. Hopefully it might make someone consider seeking help for a child they know are in need of these services.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:30 PM
Courtier

I agree. This really hits home for me, and it makes me so proud that she is fighting for this issue! That broken arm comment is so spot on!! Good delivery! Poor thing seems winded though, probably pregnancy lack of space :P
Old 02-15-2015, 07:49 PM
Majesty

Brilliant video message from Her Royal Highness and I hope people will do whatever they can to help support Children's Mental Health Week.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Just a perfect message, perfectly done in every way, bravo
Old 02-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I agree. This really hits home for me, and it makes me so proud that she is fighting for this issue! That broken arm comment is so spot on!! Good delivery! Poor thing seems winded though, probably pregnancy lack of space :P

That was one of the main talking points of Bell Let's Talk Day here in Canada this year. (I posted a thread about it over in our General Topic board/area if you would like to know more). No one would blink if you had to take off early to see the Dentist, but if you said it was to go see your Psychologist? Completely different story.

I still firmly believe if we could get rid of what I call the B word, in this case Bullying, and call it what it is Peer Abuse, we'd make a lot more headway. That's a discussion for another thread though...

Well Done Your Royal Highness!! My Goodness she has come a very long way in how she delivered her message. A very, very long way indeed.

Such an important issue and I'm so happy that we've got someone w/such a high profile as the Duchess taking it on. Hopefully w/her involvement, more people will get interested and in turn, get the discussion started in more places.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

It's an important cause, great that Kate did a video message. She's not a natural speaking in front of a camera though.
IMO she could have taken out the 'William & I', it's her charity, so own it yourself!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:23 AM
Majesty

She is still barely able to deliver a verbal message to a Year 8 standard. Sounds false - of course - but I expect that from her now as she really has no connect with people at all.

She needs to actually get a voice coach, and have some public speaking lessons as she is so stilted it is excruciating trying to listen to her.

I would grade that speech a low C if marking a Year 8, high C from a Year 7 and an F from anyone from Year 9 upwards (Year 9 here are around 14 - 15 year olds).

Good cause.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She is still barely able to deliver a verbal message to a Year 8 standard. Sounds false - of course - but I expect that from her now as she really has no connect with people at all.

She needs to actually get a voice coach, and have some public speaking lessons as she is so stilted it is excruciating trying to listen to her.

I would grade that speech a low C if marking a Year 8, high C from a Year 7 and an F from anyone from Year 9 upwards (Year 9 here are around 14 - 15 year olds).

Good cause.
Aren't we glad that come judgement day, she will be judged for more than her ability to deliver a speech.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:53 AM
Royal Highness

As a monarchist Kate makes me very proud. This is an excellent cause and when her message was released Twitter blew up. All the newspapers and media in Britain are covering it.
Glad Kate can use her high profile to raise awareness for the UK's first Children's Mental Health Week
Old 02-16-2015, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

I am so pleased that Catherine has taken up this cause and highlighting it such a positive and meaningful way. I have always felt that mental health is as important as physical health - particularly with children because if the issues a child have are not resolved, they can carry on into adulthood.
I do not mind adding that the issues of which Catherine speaks far outweigh the importance of her speech delivery (which incidentally sounded fine to me).
Old 02-16-2015, 05:51 AM
Majesty

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 3h 3 hours ago
Just 6% of Britain's mental health budget goes on children. Health service spending on child mental health has fallen 6% since 2010.

Interesting to see the Duchess of Cambridge stepping up to tackle slightly edgier issues head on with a direct message

Personally, I feel that Kate too often hopes to get messages over via pictures and listening to people explaining important issues.

It's far more powerful if the public can hear her stating what the problems and solutions are, though not every single time of course.

She's a very bright woman, passionate about some causes. If we hear her voicing her concerns, media coverage is less likely to be her outfit

Kate's pigeonholed by the media in the "doesn't she look pretty?" fluffy slots but can change that over time, I believe.

I agree with Richard, her voice should be heard more. I'm glad we are actually hearing her voice her concern for Children's Mental Health, rather than just seeing pictures of her talking to people most of the time. Her voice is powerful and it can make a difference. Well done HRH and keep this up.

THE Duchess of Cambridge is appealing for a change in attitudes towards the mental health problems affecting one in 10 of Britain’s children.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...health-charity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It's an important cause, great that Kate did a video message. She's not a natural speaking in front of a camera though.
IMO she could have taken out the 'William & I', it's her charity, so own it yourself!
She included William because these are the causes she and William are strong advocates.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-16-2015, 06:58 AM
Nobility

Good message and good (meaning: little eye) make up.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Good cause.
Wow, harsh much? The only problem I could tell was her breathing and that can obviously be contributed to smaller lung capacity due to the pregnancy.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

This recorded video was better and flowed smoothly... She still has to improve but at least the focus was on the appeal and not on her clothing or her pregnancy...
Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Royal Highness

The delivery was fine. Kate is as good if not better than her brother-in-law but its the message that's most important. All the newspapers are covering it as well as the BBC and Sky.

Our breakfast morning show in Toronto even covered it.

Dr Andrew Mayers ‏@DrAndyMayers 11 mins11 minutes ago
Great media coverage about children's #mentalhealth, largely thanks to Duchess of Cambridge's video message http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31483315 … @Place2Be
Old 02-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The delivery was fine. Kate is as good if not better than her brother-in-law but its the message that's most important. All the newspapers are covering it as well as the BBC and Sky.

Our breakfast morning show in Toronto even covered it.

Dr Andrew Mayers ‏@DrAndyMayers 11 mins11 minutes ago
Great media coverage about children's #mentalhealth, largely thanks to Duchess of Cambridge's video message http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31483315 … @Place2Be
I am so happy this is gaining traction! Such an important conversation to have in this world and I'm happy the Duchess could help set the ball in motion!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Courtier

How is going to state the solution to the problems if she doesn't listen and learn from the experts Richard Palmer? Like usual he is making it about himself.

She sounds fine to me, she doesn't sound any different from when Mary read her speech but what do I know, I ain't a teacher #shrug.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I cannot see why the Duchess should need a voice coach. The pace and pitch was fine and she articulated perfectly clearly. Yes, there are aspects she will work on over time to perhaps convey her personality a little more, but in this particular case this wouldn't be appropriate anyway.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Royal Highness

Information on Kate's private visit to Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School

Duchess of Cambridge visits South London and Maudsley - South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge visited pupils and staff at Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School in Beckenham on Tuesday 10 February in her role as patron of charity Place2Be. The visit was private and was not publicised in advance.

A Kensington Palace spokeswoman said: “This visit was arranged through Place2Be, of which Her Royal Highness is Royal Patron, after learning about their work during the Place 2 Reflect conference last year to further develop her knowledge of the sector."

The Duchess listened to the school's head teacher Dr John Ivens, an educational psychologist; speak at the Place2Be conference on children's mental health in June.

Dr John Ivens said: “The Duchess`s visit went exceptionally well. The pupils in the school who came from Acorn Lodge, the Bethlem Adolescent Unit, Snowsfields Adolescent Unit and the Intensive Treatment Programme, were able to meet and talk with her, either directly or by video conferencing.”

“I am sure it was an experience that they will remember forever. The visit came as a result of a talk given last summer on the work that goes on both in the hospital and the school. The Duchess`s three hour visit showed this was of keen interest to her.

“The Duchess also took part in a science experiment with children at the school`s Maudsley site through a video conference."

The Duchess became patron of Place2Be - the leading UK provider of school-based mental health support in 2013 and is passionate about its cause. She has become closely involved with its attempts to provide early intervention for children before problems escalate.

The school, which is run by the London Borough of Southwark, provides education to SLaM inpatients at Bethlem and Maudsley Hospitals up to the age of 19.

Whilst at the school the Duchess recorded a video message to support the UK’s first Children’s Mental Health Week (16 – 22 February 2015).