The Duchess of Cambridge as Patron of Action on Addiction

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Kate doesn't give a toss what the public think and only concerns herself with pleasing her husband and family. She has a track record of putting up with whatever comes her way, but her course has not yet changed has it?

I think she will be just fine, so long as William is happy with her.

It's just a shame we didn't know before hand that Hope House has an Art Therapy program as part of their recovery program. That would have helped to stop some of the comments wondering why she's going there for her first Engagement. I mean...I was getting tired of explaining why Kate was visiting in their words, "Nothing but a bunch of junkies" :sad:

Knowing they have a program like that, it ties in two of Kate's interests and patronages so perfectly. Pity the PR people didn't do more to put that out in the lead up to today.

Anyway....HRH looks gorgeous!!! Glowing, gorgeous and happy. Loved her outfit and it doesn't surprise me Kate went w/a wrap dress and it wouldn't shock me to see her out and about in them more as the next few months go by. Not only are they comfy, but they look good on just about any body type. Plus, considering they're wrap dresses, Kate could then easily add them to her after Baby wardrobe too.

Which in a Country that's still dealing w/the Global Economic woes, would be a very smart thing to think of.

Kate looked wonderful and it's lovely to see her out and about again. :D

It's just a shame we didn't know before hand that Hope House has an Art Therapy program as part of their recovery program. That would have helped to stop some of the comments wondering why she's going there for her first Engagement. I mean...I was getting tired of explaining why Kate was visiting in their words, "Nothing but a bunch of junkies" :sad:

Knowing they have a program like that, it ties in two of Kate's interests and patronages so perfectly. Pity the PR people didn't do more to put that out in the lead up to today.

Anyway....HRH looks gorgeous!!! Glowing, gorgeous and happy. Loved her outfit and it doesn't surprise me Kate went w/a wrap dress and it wouldn't shock me to see her out and about in them more as the next few months go by. Not only are they comfy, but they look good on just about any body type. Plus, considering they're wrap dresses, Kate could then easily add them to her after Baby wardrobe too.

Which in a Country that's still dealing w/the Global Economic woes, would be a very smart thing to think of.

Kate looked wonderful and it's lovely to see her out and about again. :D

I wouldn't think an art program should be needed to justify her (or any royal) visiting an addiction treatment center. Perhaps I've missed some controversy, but it seems a perfectly normal place for a royal engagement.

I think it's good to put any attention on addiction and places to get help for it. It's nice to see a rich girl giving her time to a cause that is not glamorous or particularly in "style", but is still a real problem that needs to be addressed.
I wonder why Kate in chose addiction as one of her charities, how does it affect her personally? I only ask because from what I've seen the royals have charities in there roster that affect them personally. Camilla with osteoporosis, William and Harry with Africa etc.

:previous: Her maternal uncle (Gary, I believe) has had an addiction problem with cocaine in the past.

The difficulty with addiction is that, to a large extent, people believe that it's not an actual illness. That people should man-up, develop a bit of willpower and just stop drinking or taking drugs unilaterally. Of course that's nonsense and if HRH's patronage of AoA can help in some small way to change that then it's all to the good.

I was just watching CNN and Erin Burnett showed a compilation of what seemed to be every American morning/news show talking about 'the bump'. I'm afraid Kate's just going to have to deal with the madness until the little Prince/Princess arrives.

It's a very good place to debut the bump. I believe that this bump has the power to heal. I've no doubt we'll be hearing stories of such miracles within the next few weeks as the Duchess goes about her business.

I wouldn't think an art program should be needed to justify her (or any royal) visiting an addiction treatment center. Perhaps I've missed some controversy, but it seems a perfectly normal place for a royal engagement.

Perhaps because, as EIIR said, there are still many people out there who do not believe Addiction is a disease and/or is still a stigma and that those who have become addicted to a substance and/or eating disorder should never be seen or heard from again. This isn't the only Message Board I belong to and the others do have threads for the Royals. I got *very* tired of having to defend Kate's choice of Action on Addiction as a Patronage last year and then her visit to Hope House today in the lead up to the visit.

As I said, the PR people at the Palace did drop the ball a bit here w/out letting us know that Hope House has an Art Therapy program and how it helps those to deal w/their addiction/s. That directly ties into Kate's work w/The Art Room and how she very obviously sees how Art can help either children or adults cope and deal w/their problems.

Instead, it was all "Why is she wasting her time w/those junkies?" kind of postings and those of us at those other boards who tried to explain, ended up being attacked as guilible and stupid bleeding hearts.

It's a sad thing to say in 2013 there are still a majority of people out there who still believe Addiction doesn't really exist. :sad:

Last edited:
It's a very good place to debut the bump. I believe that this bump has the power to heal. I've no doubt we'll be hearing stories of such miracles within the next few weeks as the Duchess goes about her business.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: A saint she will be declared!!:lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps because, as EIIR said, there are still many people out there who do not believe Addiction is a disease and/or is still a stigma and that those who have become addicted to a substance and/or eating disorder should never be seen or heard from again. This isn't the only Message Board I belong to and the others do have threads for the Royals. I got *very* tired of having to defend Kate's choice of Action on Addiction as a Patronage last year and then her visit to Hope House today in the lead up to the visit.

As I said, the PR people at the Palace did drop the ball a bit here w/out letting us know that Hope House has an Art Therapy program and how it helps those to deal w/their addiction/s. That directly ties into Kate's work w/The Art Room and how she very obviously sees how Art can help either children or adults cope and deal w/their problems.

Instead, it was all "Why is she wasting her time w/those junkies?" kind of postings and those of us at those other boards who tried to explain, ended up being attacked as guilible and stupid bleeding hearts.

It's a sad thing to say in 2013 there are still a majority of people out there who still believe Addiction doesn't really exist. :sad:

Sad indeed. I certainly know these things have a stigma attached but I suppose it's surprising to me that people would be silly enough to express such views in this context - especially because it's hardly the first time a royal has lent their support to such a place. Hopefully Kate's visit did indeed call more attention to the issue, though most of the attention has of course been devoted to The Bump.

Sad to hear about what happened in other boards. Fortunately it didn't happen here.

You raised the issue of her PR team and I agree. I've said that other times here in the forum and will say it again: they are not doing their work properly.

Any time she visits a place we read everywhere in the papers about what she's wearing bla bla bla but only a bit about the charity and what it does. Though I believe the press is to blame the most (I agree with Mantell) I also think her PR team could do more in that department

Last edited by a moderator:
But why should she have had to justify her visit to an addiction centre by saying it also has an art program? Why sugar coat it? I think attending the addiction centre without also mentioning the art program makes a much stronger statement about a problem that exists and must be dealt with.

Look, she is pregnant and she will have a larger stomache, which, today, seems to need to use the term "bump". Nauseating. She goes where she is told to go. Addiction is a wonderful focus, but who cares if she has a personal interest in it. Diana did not have any relatives with AIDS. What nonsense.

Stating such things is not how one wins friends. ;):flowers:

Thank you for the info about baby movement. Cannot even begin to imagine what that feels like, especially for the first time.
The very first movements feel like bubbles popping. It all gets stronger and stronger of course after that.
Subsequent babies are felt sooner, and you show sooner.:)

The Duchess did look very lovely and healthy today; that added weight really suits her and hopefully she'll retain some after the birth. Now that The Bump is formally and officially revealed, hopefully mass hysteria over further sightings will now abate. It's good to see her kick off her series of appearances at a very worthy charity.

Last edited:
I think she looks much better now that she's put some weight back on.

LaRae

But why should she have had to justify her visit to an addiction centre by saying it also has an art program? Why sugar coat it? I think attending the addiction centre without also mentioning the art program makes a much stronger statement about a problem that exists and must be dealt with.

But isn't also highlighting the programs that Hope House and other Action on Addiction programs provide part of Kate's visit and also patronage?

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, however if we're going to talk about nonsense, then bringing up Diana shaking hands w/AIDS victims at a time when there was such mass hysteria and misinformation about the disease in a thread talking about Kate and today's visit is just that. Nonsense!!

I'm starting to wish I'd never brought the topic up though. Even though I still believe the PR people screwed up a wee bit w/the message behind the visit. I just wish I hadn't said it if this is the reaction to it.

Perhaps because I am not close with Ne of my uncles, but I would be surprised if that was the only reason motivating her. I have dealt with mental illness, still do, and I will admit I feel less sympathy for an alcoholic than I do for someone dealing with bi-polar or schizophrenia.
In case I was misunderstood, I do not feel Kate needs a personal attachment to a charity I was just wondering if she did have an attachment.

Perhaps because I am not close with Ne of my uncles, but I would be surprised if that was the only reason motivating her. I have dealt with mental illness, still do, and I will admit I feel less sympathy for an alcoholic than I do for someone dealing with bi-polar or schizophrenia.
In case I was misunderstood, I do not feel Kate needs a personal attachment to a charity I was just wondering if she did have an attachment.

Addiction is often very closely entwined with mental illness. In many cases, it's a way of self-medicating for one problem or another that gets out of control.

Addiction is often very closely entwined with mental illness. In many cases, it's a way of self-medicating for one problem or another that gets out of control.

Yes, this is part of why I think education about addiction is so important, and why I'm glad Kate's visit is able to call some attention to it. (And, since they were mentioned, there is a strong correlation between bipolar disorder and alcoholism, for example).

Did anybody notice the large scratch on her left hand as she was tieing her dress........she must have been playing rough with Lupo:whistling::whistling::whistling:

But isn't also highlighting the programs that Hope House and other Action on Addiction programs provide part of Kate's visit and also patronage?

Yes, that's the point. She doesn't HAVE TO justify why she's visiting but she COULD have to that to highlight the work and raise awarness to the issue, which is after all her job.

Note that when I say She I mean her PR team.

No, she doesn't have to have a personal reason for choosing Action on Addiction. But the fact is that her uncle was heavily involved, he was reported on in the newspapers, and we don't know how he might have affected her and her family as a whole. Addictive personalities run in families, so she could possibly have others in her extended family with such a problem (not saying she does!!!). In any case, the question was asked, and I answered. :)

Catherine look REALLY SO BEAUTIFUL!!! and healthy, it's so nice see her again. she look perfect, really perfect.

Clarence House ‏@ClarenceHouse 2h
The Duchess of Cambridge will attend @100_WHF Gala Dinner in aid of @ActionAddiction at Kensington Palace on 24th October

The Duchess of Cambridge, patron of 100WHF's Philanthropic Initiatives, will be attending the Gala at Kensington Palace in aid of Action on Addiction, of which HRH is also Patron-
100 Women in Hedge Funds Events: London Gala 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Very excited to see that Kate is now back doing engagements and it can only increase further and further!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom