The 'Cambridge Set' and Friends

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Mother definitely didn't think it was very necessary for "gals"

Queen Mother definitely didn't think it was very necessary for "gals"

Is that true?

I know HM didn't go to school, but I wouldn't say she was uneducated. She did have tutors and she was taught things - I would expect even more so once it became clear that she would one day become Queen. Margaret, I would suspect, received less of an education because of her status as the spare.

I read in a biography of Mary of Teck that she really stressed the education of her children, and the education of her granddaughter. Her son, the future George VI, however, didn't place much emphasis on it because of how miserable his childhood had been. If that's true then it seems as though the attitude towards education was somewhat cyclical; Victoria wasn't an overly educated person, but Albert was and they stressed the education of their children, which made their Bertie miserable, so his sons weren't all that well educated, and when his heir, George, had children with Mary they stressed education which made their Bertie miserable, so he didn't stress it overly with his daughters.

I've always heard that TQM wanted her children to have nothing to do with education and it was Mary of Teck who got them tutors, and wanted them to go to an actual school.

I read that it was Queen Mary herself that took on the education of Elizabeth because she was shocked how little she knew.

I believe what was meant was the lack of belief for "formal" education, as opposed to no education at all.

I believe what was meant was the lack of belief for "formal" education, as opposed to no education at all.

Both Elizabeth and Margaret were "home schooled" and to give them the opportunities that most schoolchildren had at that time, there was even a Girl Guide troop established at BP.

I think the reason Philip insisted on Gordonstoun for Charles is not only for its academics, but its rigorous discipline tactics. Charles hated it.

I am not being negative but frankly upper class girls in the early 1900's (Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) did not have a formal education - they learnt embrodiery, water colours, perhaps music (if talented), French (if talented) and that was deemed sufficient. On the continent, I've read that their education was broader and obviously Mary of Teck would have had such an education. But it is definitely down to her that Elizabeth learnt about being Queen.

I think The Queen has received the best education in the world. Her job alone exposed her to some stuff you can't get in a school, I think.

I am not being negative but frankly upper class girls in the early 1900's (Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) did not have a formal education - they learnt embrodiery, water colours, perhaps music (if talented), French (if talented) and that was deemed sufficient. On the continent, I've read that their education was broader and obviously Mary of Teck would have had such an education. But it is definitely down to her that Elizabeth learnt about being Queen.

Girls were starting to get more formal educations in the 30's and 40's - or at least more academic work, but the Queen Mother thought that educating a female might make her "fast" and "loose" like Wallis.

Let's get back on topic...the friends of Catherine and William.

A wedding to look forward to on June 22nd.

I'll be surprised if the Cambridges attend though, but maybe they'll surprise. She'll just be hugely pregnant by that time.

I bet Prince Harry goes even if the Cambridges don't.

A wedding to look forward to on June 22nd.

is this the Thomas van Straubenzee wedding? i couldnt imagine William missing this as Thomas was one of William's ushers and gave a speech at the wedding reception i think i read. Kate on the otherhand might not attend due to the late stages of her pregnancy but she might go to the church service or part of the day

:previous:
Yes, Thomas van Straubenzee and Lady Melissa Percy will be getting married on June 22. I would be very surprised if the Cambridges miss the wedding; not only is Tom among William's closest friends, but Melissa and her family are close acquaintances as well.

I was looking back at The Duke's passing out of Sandhurst and found all the snaps of the Middleton family attending.

Throughout there are two teen boys along with Michael and Carol and Kate. The boys sit at Kate's right during the parade. Does anyone know who they are? At first I thought they were just randomly seated next to Kate, but they also walk with her family throughout. One may be a young James, but the other?

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/78...r9nnqe5cOWEmEiMgKWsjqfiKTLbbYv1N+lhtZjeDm0w==

:previous:
They are Williams friends Harry Meade's brother (don't know his name) and Tom Van S.

Last edited by a moderator:
James Meade i think - and Thomas van Straubenze. William's best friends and i think both gave the additional best man speech after Harry at the royal wedding. I think he met them at Ludgrove prep

Unless she is feeling unwell, why would Catherine not attend the wedding on 22nd June? 8months pregnant? ish? Admittedly its in Northumberland which is a long way from anywhere but I think she will go to it.

Unless she is feeling unwell, why would Catherine not attend the wedding on 22nd June? 8months pregnant? ish? Admittedly its in Northumberland which is a long way from anywhere but I think she will go to it.

That's why I figured she'd skip- since it's far away and at that point, she'll be within three weeks of her due date. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Well I think that if they think there is a possibility of an early arrival, then she won't go, but then neither should William!

I think it all depends on how she's feeling at the time. If she's doing well, most likely se will go. Although now that Catherine has admitted that she's planning to go on maternity leave sometime in June, if she's on maternity leave by the time of the wedding, some folks will start to complain that she's well enough to attend a glamorous wedding but not official engagements.

That won't stop the from attending but I know how some folks out there shape their complaints about Catherine.

When people who have worked for me in the past have gone on maternity leave, I haven't said - "and dont go anywhere cos if you can, you can come to work!"

But you're right - the moaners will moan.

This is just so sickening. What a brave man to save his wife's life.

Last edited:
That is just horrible! What kind of animals do this! What a brave thing he did in order to save his wife. Do the police have a clue as to who these animals are? I hope they catch them and cage them.

My Dear God...

No words. There are just no words. :(

How terrible!!!!!!!

How horrible! What a brave man! I feel so sorry for his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom