The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Like his father, William has spent his entire life knowing what lies ahead of him and has been learning "hands on" more and more as time went by. Both William and Harry were raised with good examples of what is needed to take their places in the scheme of things. Diana ensured that her sons were exposed to a world beyond the palace walls and Charles set the example of just how serious duty and responsibility is in their roles to come.

William doesn't exude the natural charisma that Harry does but one most definitely can't say that he's immune to feeling for the state of those around him. He can seriously step into the role of Prince of Wales and live up to the motto Charles has of "Ich Dien" (I serve). Just looking at the organizations that William champions such as homelessness, conservation and mental health shows a willingness to know the pulse of the people. Serving in search and rescue and air ambulance and his willingness to be there to support those that have been through a natural disaster are just a few examples of just where his heart lies.

He's spent a lifetime watching and learning from a woman that most likely will go down in British history as the most beloved and most diplomatic monarch of all time and will continue to fill his father's shoes as the Duke of Cornwall and perhaps Prince of Wales will give him even more insight and experience to take on his future role as King. His father has rewritten the book on what it takes to be a Prince of Wales and has totally redefined the role into something so much more meaningful than being a lofty title for a heir to the throne.

William will do just fine. When the time comes. There's stability in both his public and private life and I do believe he'll bring those qualities to the throne with him.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Will is quiet and not a performer and he's not glitzy, but I prefer him for that. I think he would be fine not being king but he accepts his destinry

Old 05-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Shakespeare had it right stating "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown". In a way, William's demeanor is very much like his grandmother's with a quiet, reserved manner and I think that will serve him well in years to come.

Its a job for life and just looking at his father, he sees a man already in his 70s who still has the biggest role of his life ahead of him whereas most of the people who hit their 70s are pretty much sailing into their sunset years with retirement. His grandmother, at 93, is starting to slow down a bit but doesn't refrain from any part of her duties as monarch. William has already stepped into a bit of his role of monarch-to-be and does look quite regal himself when he performs investitures.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

True, I just think that William is born in a different age to his grandma, and while he accepts he'll be king, it would not break his heart if he wasn't. Whereas the queen is from a different time and has not had the same experience of relatively normal everyday life that younger royals like Will have had..
I think he could relatively easily conceive of just leading a quiet life, and not beingroyal...
Old 05-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
True, I just think that William is born in a different age to his grandma, and while he accepts he'll be king, it would not break his heart if he wasn't. Whereas the queen is from a different time and has not had the same experience of relatively normal everyday life that younger royals like Will have had..
I think he could relatively easily conceive of just leading a quiet life, and not beingroyal...
I think the part in bold could very well be the "other side of the fence" for most royals that live, eat and breathe in service to Crown and Country just as for us ordinary folks that perhaps see all the perks of royal life and don't realize just how much of a gilded fishbowl it really is.

No matter who we are, there's always that "other side of the fence".

Old 05-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Gentry

We don't know how much he does or doesn't know about world affairs, because members of the Royal Family aren't allowed to comment on politics. I'm sure he's very well-informed, but we don't see that. I thought he did a great job on his tour of the Middle East, and on his recent visit to New Zealand following the terrorist attack there. And he's doing a great job of raising awareness of mental health issues. Suicide is the biggest cause of death in the UK of men in their 20s and 30s, and that's partly because men feel unable to talk about mental health problems. The future king speaking out on the subject is changing attitudes. It must be very difficult to be the second in line for the throne when you're in your 30s: I think he's doing a good job.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Actually, much of his charity work seems to include exactly those sorts of meetings. And we’ve been told in the past that he has been taking various courses of “continuing ed,” if you will, with to prepare him specifically with the body of knowledge he’ll need to first manage the duchy of Cornwall and then to meet with PMs and such.
Well, the Queen will hopefully become as old as Queen Mom if not older! So, yes, you have a point! There is probably still much time.

I think, my problem is, that I can't really relate to the work he is doing right now.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Well, the Queen will hopefully become as old as Queen Mom if not older! So, yes, you have a point! There is probably still much time.

I think, my problem is, that I can't really relate to the work he is doing right now.
(…)

Same for Kate's husband! And I think, a Prince talking with football players about hurt feelings, like he did recently, is just comical.
He is trying to reach men; and whether you like football (soccer) or not, fact is that many men do - it's the most popular sport in many countries. So, including football players (as the president of the Football Association - timed around the FA cup) is a great way to reach many people who normally wouldn't be interested in what a royal has to say.

Who do you have in mind that share the same popularity and would reach that target group much better than the people that William wanted to reach?
Old 05-25-2019, 03:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

With William embracing some of the needs of the people he serves, he'll be a king with his heart in the right place and embrace his role and be a king that most definitely will crown him as "the people's king". At least I think so.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:55 PM
Aristocracy

Prince William is going to make an excellent King. His mother made sure his formative years prepared him for his future role like no other heir to the throne before him.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soula View Post
Prince William is going to make an excellent King. His mother made sure his formative years prepared him for his future role like no other heir to the throne before him.
Both of William's parents did. If there was one area where Charles and Diana agreed on, it was how they would raise their sons.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

This thread has been cleaned up with a number of off-topic posts being deleted or edited. This thread is quote clearly not the place to discuss anecdotes about the Duchess of Cambridge, the Cambridges charity work or comparisons between William and his father.