The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Courtier

IMO there are jobs in the armed forces where William could be a dilettante but search and rescue pilot isn't one of them. For one thing - and I would think this would be obvious - there's only so much room on a helicopter so each member of the team on board has specific and essential duties to perform during each mission; William is not tagging along as an extra man with nothing to do except look good in his uniform. If one team member falls down on the job then he or she puts both the other members and their extraordinarily expensive equipment at risk. William's superiors in the forces aren't going to put the Duke or his colleagues, not to mention their own careers, at risk by letting someone unqualified fly a helicopter, no matter what his title is.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Aristocracy

No one can answer your question except Prince William and I don't think he will somehow, my opinion (and you certainly know about opinions) is that he doesn't necessarily have to be as he would have been given a choice of army duties that did not put him unnecessarily in harm's way or the need to deploy many men to keep him safe, he chose this service, perhaps he became passionate about it afterwards, who knows!
Actually it was said about the Duke of Windsor in one of his biographies that he did not receive a medal for his service in France (easy to understand if his record there is looked at) and a remark followed that said this was highly unusual as normally any member of the royal family who was at a distance of 1 mile from the front usually got a medal.
Royal hero? Prince Andrew? Prince Harry? Nowadays the word hero is used very lightly for sure. Which reminds me I have often wondered about all the medals seen on Prince Charles's chest, perhaps we could have a thread giving an explanation for each one,it would be very interesting.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:28 AM
Aristocracy

I find it amazing that he has excepted the "job" of future king. Fancy always knowing that you would have no say in what you do with your life ?what job? Were you live ? To following your own path in life is a right everyone else has And he knows his wife and children have to live that life too.
So is he suitable to be king? Absolutely !!! A wonderful young man
Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Aristocracy

The only way he could refuse would be to abdicate. He did choose the wife he wanted though and he and his family will always lead a life of luxury so there are some compensations.
Many people would find it boring and tedious, but then he has never known anything else.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat
The only way he could refuse would be to abdicate. He did choose the wife he wanted though and he and his family will always lead a life of luxury so there are some compensations.
Many people would find it boring and tedious, but then he has never known anything else.
But I bet he has thought of what his life could be. I still think luxury life aside he is amazing for taking it on and we should be content that he will make a good and caring king
Old 11-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Aristocracy

Are you still saying he had a choice.? The only choice he had was to go ahead or give up his place in line for the throne.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Aristocracy

Of course he had a choice if he really wanted out. What could they do lock him in the tower??? His uncle made his choice!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat
Are you still saying he had a choice.? The only choice he had was to go ahead or give up his place in line for the throne.
To make it clear he could have given it up but he choice to stay and do his duty

I think he is an amazing young man and we shouldn't be questioning his suitably to be King
Old 11-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
His uncle made his choice!!!
I think you mean The Duke of Windsor yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
No one can answer your question except Prince William and I don't think he will somehow, my opinion (and you certainly know about opinions) is that he doesn't necessarily have to be as he would have been given a choice of army duties that did not put him unnecessarily in harm's way or the need to deploy many men to keep him safe, he chose this service, perhaps he became passionate about it afterwards, who knows!.
Actually I asked you, How do you know William isn't passionate about his career as you raised the opposite question "How do we know that he is?". So how do you know he isn't? You're right that we don't know either way but you seem pretty sure that he isn't, you've made severely statements that William isn't in this voluntary and did not choose his life as a pilot.

When have men been deployed specifically for his safety exactly?
Old 11-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Aristocracy

Yes sorry I left the great out when I said uncle
Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
At the moment there are rumours around that William and Catherine will move to Scotland when he finished his current contract with the RAF because William will sign a new one for another three years of service. He could live a life in luxury in his new home at Kensington Palace but instead this young man thinks about moving into yet another wilderness to an RAF-base. If that isn't dedication, I don't know what it is.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Aristocracy

I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway I am sure that Scotland will have a few small places to match his tiny Kensington Palace apartment.
As you say it is a rumour, I won't say anything about his dedication. I hope that the Scots reading this will not be upset by your calling them a wilderness. When my great-grandfather L.R.C.S. graduated from Edinburgh university, Edinburgh was on its way to becoming a nice little village. LOL).
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway I am sure that Scotland will have a few small places to match his tiny Kensington Palace apartment.
As you say it is a rumour, I won't say anything about his dedication. I hope that the Scots reading this will not be upset by your calling them a wilderness. When my great-grandfather L.R.C.S. graduated from Edinburgh university, Edinburgh was on its way to becoming a nice little village. LOL).
Only that the RAF base is not on Edinburgh's Princes Street, but at Lossiemouth...
Which is on the coast of the Highlands between Inverness and Aberdeen, an area I travelled extensively, so believe me: it is a rather tough place to live. The golf course non-with-standing.

I just read in a German paper that prince William at the moment is actively flying in a difficult resuce mission on the Irish sea. They (his crew and him) already lifted two seamen to safety, one dead body was recovered but 5 other seamen are still missing, so the search continues in difficult weather.

I bet you are much more comfortable now, aren't you?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Speaking as a future subject of William's, the fact that he is at this moment manning a helicopter in gale force winds over the Irish Sea attempting to save the lives of seamen, as opposed to sitting in a warm comfortable palace is reason enough for me to believe that he has what it takes to one day lead our nation. Has any other future monarch out there at the moment ever chosen to put their life at risk in service of their follow countrymen in this way? I can't think of any.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Aristocracy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-disaster.htm

Home safely, so we can breathe a sigh of relief. A co-pilot on a mission like this makes him definitely king material so I am feeling very comfortable thanks.
So the wilds of Scotland have a golf course? That sounds more up Prince Andrew's alley.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
At the moment there are rumours around that William and Catherine will move to Scotland when he finished his current contract with the RAF because William will sign a new one for another three years of service. He could live a life in luxury in his new home at Kensington Palace but instead this young man thinks about moving into yet another wilderness to an RAF-base. If that isn't dedication, I don't know what it is.
In complete agreement here. He's doing his job well and his nation and family proud, and that's to me, something a monarch will one day have to do as a head of state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Only that the RAF base is not on Edinburgh's Princes Street, but at Lossiemouth...
Which is on the coast of the Highlands between Inverness and Aberdeen, an area I travelled extensively, so believe me: it is a rather tough place to live. The golf course non-with-standing.

I just read in a German paper that prince William at the moment is actively flying in a difficult resuce mission on the Irish sea. They (his crew and him) already lifted two seamen to safety, one dead body was recovered but 5 other seamen are still missing, so the search continues in difficult weather.

I bet you are much more comfortable now, aren't you?
I read about William wanting to renew his contract with the RAF and going to Scotland, as well as about his rescue mission earlier in the day. Again, he's doing what he enjoys, which is on the big scheme of things, is helping others. A monarch needs to be in touch with the needs of his people, as well as possess compassion, and William has both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Speaking as a future subject of William's, the fact that he is at this moment manning a helicopter in gale force winds over the Irish Sea attempting to save the lives of seamen, as opposed to sitting in a warm comfortable palace is reason enough for me to believe that he has what it takes to one day lead our nation. Has any other future monarch out there at the moment ever chosen to put their life at risk in service of their follow countrymen in this way? I can't think of any.
This was very well said. I may never be his subject, but I'll be one happy individual when he will step up and be crowned, because he has the potential to do some great things. Like you, I cannot think of any monarchs who have done what he's doing right now. Good job, William.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Aristocracy

Doesn't anyone wonder what the the name of the actual Captain of this search and rescue mission was? There are only pictures of Prince William who was one of a four man crew. From what has been said here it sounds as though all four of them are good king material, then again the genetical link is missing.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/11...est=latestnews
Old 11-28-2011, 03:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Doesn't anyone wonder what the the name of the actual Captain of this search and rescue mission was? There are only pictures of Prince William who was one of a four man crew. From what has been said here it sounds as though all four of them are good king material, then again the genetical link is missing.

Prince William Joins Rescue Effort After Ship Sinks In Irish Sea | Fox News
Why is the name of the other crew members of interest? They are not future kings, even though they obviously have the compassion a king needs, and there is no need to put them in the spotlight, IMHO. I'm sure one day they all will be rewarded one way or the other (weren't they all invited to William's wedding?) but at the moment they are doing their duty and normally this happens without them being exposed to the media. As for William: he has chosen a dangerous job and maybe one day the MoD will have to tell the people that something happened to him... So it's IMHO better to inform people from time to time what he is up to.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Aristocracy

Obviously the other crew members are of no interest to you, not even the one that is really flying the helicopter. Let us hope that the MoD will never have to inform their families that something has happened to them.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Obviously the other crew members are of no interest to you, not even the one that is really flying the helicopter. Let us hope that the MoD will never have to inform their families that something has happened to them.
The names of the other crew members of that flight would never be published if that's why you're asking for, as they're private citizens.